[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watchmen director's cut is one of the best movies from the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: v1.jpg (22 KB, 180x270) Image search: [Google]
v1.jpg
22 KB, 180x270
Watchmen director's cut is one of the best movies from the last 20 years.

Prove me wrong.
>>
It's impossible to prove fact wrong.
>>
as far as comic movies go, sure
>>
Its not. Prove me wrong
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-01-12-31-30.png (842 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-01-12-31-30.png
842 KB, 1280x800
>>68969302
It looks great too. One of the movies where the getting blu-ray or downloading the remux is worth it.
>>
>>68969370
Pleb. Watchmen is the purest form of kinography. And OP is wrong about one thing, the ultimate cut is the superior version not the directors cut.
>muh pacing
If you weren't ADHD you would be able to pay attention and not be bored by tales from the black freighter.
>>
>>68969466
I never watched the ultimate cut, memeing aside is it actually worth watching?
>>
>>68969302
It's one of the best "main stream blockbuster flicks"
>>
>>68969500
Yes it is. It's the directors cut with the animated version of the comic book that the kid is reading at the news stand edited in for like 5 minutes at a time. It's only like 30 minutes longer and the comic book is fucking badass. especially when the dude gets his raft made from human remains eaten by a shark but then kills the shark and uses him as his new raft.
>>
The Movie is a simplification of the comic
of course plebs will love it
>>
>>68969510
Theatrically released =/= mainstream. I only know like 2 normies that have seen watchmen and that's only because they came over when I was watching it.
>>
>>68969302
The fight scenes, besides Ozy catching the bullet defeat the purpose of the main premise that the Watchmen are mostly a bunch of average joe vigilantes. Worse yet, Snyder's actual commentary is that he did it because it looked cool; that's about all he says in regards to making this movie in hours of commentary.

Director's cut is really good, but don't pretend like it's some fucking revelation. Goddamn Snydervangelists
>>
>>68969674
It was a major release though wasn't it? It's not like it was aimed for the Art House beret wearing crowd.
>>
Ozymandias is literally the blandest villain in cinema history.
>>
>>68969698
>main premise

I bet you prefer starship troopers book over the superior film
>>
>>68969302
Well, the new Captain America movie just came out.

Checkmate
>>
>>68969890
Nothing will beat Snyder.
>>
>>68969740
I literally just said theatrical release =/= mainstream. Are you fucking retarded? Just because a movie is in theaters with other normie movies absolutely does not mean that normies will go see it. Which they didn't. A movie is not fucking mainstream if the majority of people haven't seen it.
>>
File: 1460923659180.jpg (117 KB, 894x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460923659180.jpg
117 KB, 894x1000
>>68969890
Nah
>>
>>68969302
The graphic novel will prove you wrong every time, OP. Every fuckin' time!
>>
>>68969788
I've never read Starship Troopers (movie was GOAT for me), but I'm saying that Watchmen existed as a deconstruction of superheroes and the movie shits on it a bit in regards to the action. The Manhattan monologue was still great, and I can't not feel intensely when Nite Owl 1 bites the dust. Watchmen is an 8.5, which for capeshit is surprising but I'm not going to say it was perfect.
>>
>>68970127
Not him but yeah that's fair.
>>
>>68969302
It's funny that you actually specified the director's cut, because the theatrical cut is much better.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 236x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 236x237
>>68970220
>the version that cuts out the best scene is the superior one
Holy fucking shit how does it feel to be so plebeian?
>>
>>68970411
>the best scene
You're an idiot.
>>
>>68970470
>he actually thinks there are better scenes in watchmen than Hollis Mason's death
And you're a filthy fucking pleb.
>>
>>68969302
Acting was terrible
All the Snyder bits ranged from hamfisted to cringeworthy (the Cohen sex scene, the lame duck Strangelove scenes)

Given the brilliance of the source material it could have been an excellent movie had they found someone talented outside action scenes to direct it
>>
>>68970564
Best scene was obv Rorschach vs Manhattan, or just Antarctica in general
>>
That opening is godtier, that's for sure
>>
I dropped it at the "My father was a watchmaker" line

This dogshit is insulting the viewers intelligence, like all capeshit
>>
>>68969302
The acting alone precludes this movie from coming anywhere close to this.
>>
File: watchmen.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>68969606

It's fucking epic
>>
>>68970127
the book is the book
the movie is the movie

Plus for when it came out they could hardly "deconstruct" the genre which made sense in the comic book medium

(maybe they could it now since every movie is capeshit)
>>
>people here actually defend the ultimate cut

It's shit, but the Director's cut is fucking incredible.
>>
>not Motion Comic
pleb pls
>>
>>68970770
>Rorschach fag detected
>>
>>68971460
I'm not autistic for source material, what I'm saying is the movie had less impact on me because it was closer to the capeshit coming out at the the time (remember, Spider-Man, X-men and Nolanbats were fucking huge) than a deconstruction of it. Snyder's commentary on shit needing to look cool reflects that he adapted something he didn't quite understand, and it shows in some parts.

There was plenty of superhero shit going on in the late '00s for it to do so with, albeit still less saturated than now.
>>
>>68969459

how the fuck do people even store remux data? you would have to buy like 20 harddrives to build up a decent collection
>>
>the opening
>Dr. Manhattans creation
>Rorshach in prison
>when all along the watchtower plays as they approach the arctic base
>I did it 30 minutes ago

Watchmen is the purest of cape kino
>>
File: Annoyed-Middle-Age-Business.jpg (122 KB, 866x1300) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed-Middle-Age-Business.jpg
122 KB, 866x1300
>>68969302
I do have to agree that the Director's cut of this movie is a necessity to truly appreciate this movie. The extra scenes, and extended scenes make a huge difference in the fullness of the story, and tone of the movie.
>>
>I watched the movie before reading the comic.
>>
>>68969302
It's absolute trash, you need to have some major part of the brain removed to enjoy that disjointed, malconstrued and idiotic adaptation. It's the worst superhero movie ever made; steel, catwoman or green lantern might be terrible, but they weren't made with the intention to obfuscate the original characters and destroy the plot with inconsistencies that weren't there to begin with. Then the visionary director tried to make up for the lack of structure with color filters and kung-fu. There is no substance in this stoolie of a movie and there certainly is no style, when it's not borrowed from better directors.

It truly takes one "gifted" individual to make such a broken, miserable film.
>>
>>68972753
>never saw the director's cut version
>complains about the version OP didn't mention
>>
>>68971361

this, it goes along great with the movie, dunno why people hate it.
>>
>>68972850
>never saw the director's cut version
Saw it, does nothing to solve any of the issues mentioned. It simply adds more running time to that piece of trash.
Stop chugging down that audiovisual diarrhea, it's rotting your brain, garbage boy.
>>
>>68972910
>more running time to that piece of trash

No there are added scenes that better define the heroes as mere street gangs who over time with later generations become political puppets.
>>
>>68973021
Which does nothing to alleviate the damage done by the main movie. Then you have the Tales of the Black Freighter, which are completely jarring in contrast to that matrix looking shit.
Hell, the director's cut makes things even worse, if that's possible.
>>
>>68973112
>directors cut
>ultimate cut

Pick one
>>
>>68971824
>he didn't understand

The comic isn't that deep. He was adapting it for a completely different medium.
Maybe he could have done a "deconstruction" of the genre but I just don't see it working in movies.
Comics are read by obsessive fanbase with fifty year of cape stories.
Movies are for normies who barely remember anything after they leave.

Either way the movie didn't have a giant squid so it was a little better than the book in that regard
>>
>>68969415
Damn. You're just too clever for this thread
>>
>>68972753
>I liked Civil War XD

Please leave
>>
>>68974101
Agreed, it wasn't that deep but it also wasn't a kiddie pool which made it unique for its time. Deconstructions (not sure why that was in quotes, unless English is not your first language)of genres happen in movies by the way. Within capeshit, 'Super' is an example.

To your second point, if the comic wasn't that deep than normies would be capable of understand it. So was it 3deep5u or was it not? Also, Watchmen came out in between a ton of capeshit so it's not like its message would've required a monumental attention span.

I can't say I disagree with the giant alien squid being changed though.
>>
I'm quite fond of the book and I used to like the movie when I was younger.
I reread the gn a couple of months ago and then watched the Ultimate Cut. It was fucking shit. sorry man, but the movie is a turd.
>>
>>68974603
>its a thread about the directors cut
>quick talk about how bad the ultimate cut was

ENOUGH
>>
>le comic book movie is better than 6/10

You'll never touch a girl who's not horribly obese, OP.
>>
>>68969302
>turning Ozymandias into a generic mad scientist
>>
>>68975827
>implying there aren't 4 9/10 comic book movies
Watchmen directors/ultimate cut, spider man 2, the dark knight, and the winter soldier are all pure kinography.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.