[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's one thing you like about the prequels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 47
File: NENjwS2Hy5l4QS_1_1.jpg (162 KB, 800x516) Image search: [Google]
NENjwS2Hy5l4QS_1_1.jpg
162 KB, 800x516
What's one thing you like about the prequels?
>>
The music, some of the visuals, Sheev
>>
They sucked compared to the originals but at least were better then TFA.
>>
>>68965553

Same.
>>
>>68965553
this
>>
>>68965537
Originality
>>
>>68965537
Ewan motherfucking mc gregor
>>
I know that's you, HighGround.
>>
1 they're finished
2 Casting of Kenobi and Palpie
3 it explained why Vader and Emperor never trained a new league of sith (or was that the cartoon?)
>>
File: brody.jpg (239 KB, 1598x1600) Image search: [Google]
brody.jpg
239 KB, 1598x1600
>Revenge of the Sith's labyrinthine opening shot— of Anakin and Obi-Wan giving chase to Dooku through the space vehicles on the planet of Coruscant—is a mighty and audacious gauntlet-throw, the digital equivalent of the opening shot of Orson Welles’s “Touch of Evil." It wheels and gyrates and zips and pivots with a vertiginous wonder that declares, from the beginning, that Lucas had big visual ideas and was about to realize them with a heroically inventive virtuosity. And the rest of the movie follows through on that self-dare.

>If I had seen ROTS in a theatre upon its release, in 2005, I think that, at the moment when Sheev, sizzling in the blue lightning that Mace Windu reflects back at him, cries out to Anakin, “Power! Unlimited Power!,” I would have leaped out of my seat yelling with excitement. The entire movie is filled with an absolute splendor of the pulp sublime, and that moment is its very apogee. Lucas reaches historic heights in the filming of action: the martial artistry of Anakin and Obi-Wan’s double duel versus Dooku, the gaping maw of outer space and of the airshaft into which the heroic duo drops, Obi-Wan’s light-sabre fight with the four-armed Grievous, and, above all, the apocalyptic inferno of the confrontation of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I watched these sequences over and was repeatedly and unflaggingly amazed by Lucas’s precise, dynamic, wildly imaginative direction.

>The scripted politics of the conflicts have a grand imagination to match. What Lucas brings to the script of the movie is a Shakespearean backroom dialectic of power-maneuvering. The dialogue is just heightened and sententious enough, just sufficiently rhetorical, to convey the grave moment of ideas in conflict and the grand mortal results of that dialectical clash—the making of a villain and the unmaking of a republic.
>>
>>68965565
What makes you think that?
Is it that TFA redid too much of the original trilogy?
>>
Sheev
>>
everything.
>>
>>68965537
Sheev and Obi Wan.
>>
The podrace
>>
Sheev and Obi wan
>>
How much better it was then TFA
>>
>>68965932
Same
Actually, I like more the prequels than the original trilogy.
Maybe 'cause I saw the prequels first.
>>
>>68965553
I actually thought there was a lot of social commentary in the film that was lost amongst George Lucas's endless shit.

Using clones to fight droids to show the dehumanization of soldiers.

The fact that people were completely ignorant of the shit going down in Naboo, comparable to earth ignoring the fuck loads of humans rights violations in the world.

The jedi council's ineptness symbolizing the stagnation of the moral authority of a civilization.

The literal fall of democracy and freedom because the people are scared and give their rights away.

It's almost as if George Lucas tried to fill the prequels with every theme possible and failed to deliver on any of them.

>>68965537
Fuck yes the music was great
>>
File: tfaliens.jpg (357 KB, 1024x382) Image search: [Google]
tfaliens.jpg
357 KB, 1024x382
>>68965877
>Poorly cast, looks like a YA film
>worst soundtrack in the entire series
>least interesting world building or lack thereof
>complete ripoff of ANH but inferior in every way IE: Tattooine>Jakku, death Star run actually had weight, cantina scene was actually good etc
>hamfisted modern ending with a cringy staredown to be deep
>more quips then the avengers with le funny negro man

Is any of this even disputable?
>>
Obi-Wan
Sheev
Natalie Portman's wardrobe
John Williams' score
Some of the effects, especially the ones in III, still hold up to this day
The planets
The ships
Some of the cinematography
>>
>>68965537
I really like the vehicle design. From the submarine thing to the trade ships to Amidalas Rolls Royce, it's all great, and that's just in TPM.

On that point the creature design sucks. Must have been two different guys.
>>
File: 1402929817235.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1402929817235.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>68965537
The ending credits
>>
i like that they tried to do something, even if it wasn't that great. the force awakens put me to sleep
>>
Natalie Portman's cleavage
>>
The worldbuilding is fantastic
>>
>>68966830
those creature designs fucking suck. none of them make you think "star wars".

it's hilarious because so many of you faggots allege that lucas was all cgi and no effort.

then how come disney only made a handful of droid/alien designs/costumes, for one fucking scene, and called it a day?

they even released that photo to the press, just so they could say "see, look, practical, star wars aliens, we did our job". but that small group is all that's ever seen.

meanwhile, in real star wars movies, they are all over the fucking place. and they look good, authentic. pic related looks like cosplay, doctor who tier shit
>>
>>68967295
I agree, TFA was pretty bland in a lot of places.
>>
Kit Fisto
Christopher Lee
Different lightsaber styles introduced
The different droids/droid vehicles
Music
And of course, Sheev
>>
>>68966830
i wasn't actually gonna reply, cause there's no way i can change your mind anyways, but since you said "is any of this disputable?"...

>Poorly cast, looks like a YA film
Rey and Kylo were good in my opinion. And even Finn is better than TPM Anakin

>least interesting world building or lack thereof
Prequels took it the opposite directions, by making terrible lore, like the Chlorians, Grievous and the terrible depiction of the clone war

>complete ripoff of ANH but inferior in every way IE: Tattooine>Jakku, death Star run actually had weight, cantina scene was actually good etc
Seeing as they wanted to revive the same feeling the originals gave viewers, to show that this is not like the prequels it makes sense
I do think there were things that should've been disguised better, or completely changed, but there was a reason for it

>hamfisted modern ending with a cringy staredown to be deep
would you say it's worse than >hamfisted dramatic ending with a scream of anguish to be deep

>more quips then the avengers with le funny negro man
I actually agree, there were a tiny bit too many jokes, especially with BB-8, but at least they didn't stop the development of the plot, like the prequels did
>>
>>68967295
And you would say greedo or Ackbar look like natural creatures?
>>
File: 1432511802125.png (1 MB, 1252x1114) Image search: [Google]
1432511802125.png
1 MB, 1252x1114
>>68965537

The memes.
>>
File: darthmaul.png (3 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
darthmaul.png
3 MB, 1920x816
THAT FIGHT WITH THAT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best non dialouge part of the
E N T I R E
N
T
I
R
E

FRANCHISE.
>>
>>68967295
t's like they cleared out all of the back stock of the Doctor Who warehouse.
>>
Music
>>
File: Star Wars The Clone Wars.png (23 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars The Clone Wars.png
23 KB, 600x412
Star Kino.
>>
>>68965537
The Orange
>>
Ian McDiarmid

That's about it though
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

John Williams can do no wrong.
>>
the creature/character designs are fantastic. The droids look so dam cool, I can never get over how brilliant of an idea the droidika is! its pretty much to automated machine gun turrent!!! and the battle droids and magna guard and Grevious!!! the battle scenes are pretty cool too.
>>
File: sheevo.jpg (192 KB, 2014x1678) Image search: [Google]
sheevo.jpg
192 KB, 2014x1678
>>68965537
SHEEV
H
E
E
V
>>
File: Contemplates.jpg (7 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
Contemplates.jpg
7 KB, 250x239
Why was the music in TFA so poor?
>>
>>68966830
>>Poorly cast, looks like a YA film
Seriously? This was some of the best casting Star Wars has had since the original trilogy. Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac and John Boyega were perfect.
>>
File: 1459787802273.jpg (341 KB, 1000x701) Image search: [Google]
1459787802273.jpg
341 KB, 1000x701
Everything except the acting in I and II basically. If you liked the original Star Wars trilogy there's no reason not to act like the prequels were totally intolerable by comparison.
>>
>>68967870
Why is Ahsoka so perfect
>>
>>68966830
Something just looked off with VII. I can't even describe it but the picture didn't look right.
>>
Music.
Combat scenes.
Some sword choreography looks amazing but doesn't really look like meaningful fight and other half is just retarded.
>>
The music
The visuals/settings (yeah most of is CGI but the planets like Kamino/Felucia/Mustafar etc are gorgeous
Ewan's Obi-Wan
The sound effects
Droidekas
Pod racing
All the space battles
>>
>>68966175
>Using clones to fight droids to show the dehumanization of soldiers.
Except they just showed clones fighting droids

>The fact that people were completely ignorant of the shit going down in Naboo, comparable to earth ignoring the fuck loads of humans rights violations in the world.
Except they were just completely ignorant of the shit going down in Naboo

>The jedi council's ineptness symbolizing the stagnation of the moral authority of a civilization.
Except the jedi council was just inept

>The literal fall of democracy and freedom because the people are scared and give their rights away.
Except no one but the main characters were scared

>It's almost as if George Lucas tried to fill the prequels with every theme possible and failed to deliver on any of them.
See, I really don't think so. I don't think he failed on delivering them, I think he doesn't actually have any commentary to offer. I mean, you could keep everything about the prequels the same, remove the clone facility and just replace it with a military training facility and nothing would change. Hell, the main character grew up a slave and there was precisely zero commentary on slavery. Instead, Lucas has his slaves having their own private quarters, enough free time to build their own robots and nascars, and so little oversight that he can build his own robot and nascar with parts stolen from his master without his master having any idea about it! Shit, I wouldn't even be surprised if Watto paid the two of them a universally recognized fair wage. See, I don't think he failed to deliver, I think he's too stupid to know that his themes are set-ups to make some sort of point.
>>
Fucking Darth Maul battle
>>
>>68967870
>there's no reason not to act like the prequels were totally intolerable by comparison.
Come on, mate, you know that's a load of bullshit. Everyone loves the original trilogy because it was a fast paced adventure that had likeable characters. With the prequel trilogy the main protagonist is an annoying cunt and the plot frequently slows down to focus on boring political shit and romance shit.
>>
>>68965537
The alien, droid, and sound designs.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 450x253
>>68967661
Look at how much better the character looks in the shadows...
>>
>>68967857

>the "TFA had a shitty soundtrack" meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEImg9w8xU8&index=31&list=PLGD7AhRQdJzlc0EdkRntjhse4q2Qvoc1B

I'll argue with you that it was poorly utilized, but it was by no means bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 246x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 246x204
>>68967295
If they spend less than 5-7 million on creature effects and animatronics, they're skimming.
>>
>>68968617
It was awful, completely forgettable. The only thing of note was the march of the resistance.

Where is the duel of the fates, the Star Wars theme, the imperial march of TFA? It had nothing of that level.
>>
>>68968617
mediocre theme for mediocre character
sounds like williams got his harry potter catalogue confused with star wars

but yeah the main problem was definitely the poor utilization. the music was barely used to draw emotions from the scenes.
call lucas a hack all you want, the motherfucker made the music a powerful (force) in all his films

i'm listening to this theme, and I don't even remember most of it. only the flute parts. it's a shame, because i'm beginning to realize that williams deliver once again, but his music was wasted by the true hack that is jj
>>
Some of the music was good, Darth Maul had a great presence. That's about it.

Oh, and Sheevposting is funny. I think that actor was one of the few who genuinely had fun while everyone else was bored or suffering.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 1080x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 1080x469
http://youtu.be/CJPrI-4DqEE

It's probably the world building and the cinematography of the prequels.
>>
>>68968092
That's fair, but I liked the political scenes well enough. The prequels were all about the galaxy's institutions slowly failing them and leading to the Empire, and there probably wasn't any other way to depict that.

It was also cool to see Sheev manipulating everything in the senate and laying the ground work for the Empire.
>>
>>68968616
Ok, i'll give you that they should've turned down the lighting or something else to hide the flaws, but Greedo still looks weird
Don't get me wrong, original trilogy does look good all things considered, but it's really easy to tell that the aliens are just rubber masks with bulbous eyes
And what about Jabba's place? That's full of weird looking things that don't serve any other purpose than to be weird
>>
>>68967870
Fuck accidentally did a double negative there. I meant to say "there's no reason to act like the prequels were totally intolerable by comparison."
>>
>>68967661
no, they are iconic creature designs, just a couple from many which came from star wars

>>68967567
>characters were good
Rey has become the new standard for mary sue and kylo's emo and child behavior make anakin in ep2 look like an adult. finn was the quintessential negro buffoon, a character with no dignity whose only purpose was comic relief. lucas never suggested such subtle racism in his films

>prequels lore was terrible and the clone war sucked
ok, so you're not a fan of star wars. ok. i doubt disney will produce anything comparable to the battles scene in clone wars, or hell, even the animated stuff from lucas

>it's ok for star wars to completely lose its artistic integrity
fuck off

>implying "nooooo" was the actual ending
look it up fag, the final shot with baby luke and his aunt/uncle is beautiful, completely opposite of a fucking spinning helicopter shot. hell, all of the star wars film close on a beautiful picture frame. not the fraud that is tfa however.
>>
>>68968942
>why do costumes from the mid 70s not look as good today? :\
>>
>>68968740
Apparently the studio really interfered with Williams work for TFA.
>>
>>68968859
I guess the prequel trilogy had to have some political stuff but I think George could've gone about it in a clearer, more interesting way. Most of the political shit in the prequels is nonsensical. Sheev is able to conquer the galaxy because every person in the galaxy, besides him, is a retard.
>>
File: Clone Wars bomb run.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Clone Wars bomb run.png
2 MB, 1920x816
>>68965537
The Clone Wars was a fully fleshed war than the Galactic Civil War.

You barely see the rebel faction in the OT save for their pilots and fighters.
>>
>>68969070
and people think it was bad when lucas WAS the stuidio

fucking pathetic. fuck this gay earth. star wars didn't have to be critically acclaimed, it was its own thing. fuck all of you faggots.
>>
>>68969099
Don't forget that we got the actual best bounty hunter in the galaxy who we actually saw do shit instead of Meme Fett.
>>
>>68969070
the way lucas utilized themes and music is basically old fashioned at this point

studio probably didn't want anything like that for their new franchise reboot
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 559x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 559x420
>>68968942
>And what about Jabba's place? That's full of weird looking things that don't serve any other purpose than to be weird
No, the point of it is that Tatooine is now under the dominion of a group of creepy gangsters.

If Rey went back to Jakku in Episode IX and found Unkar Plutt running a much larger operation, it would have to be disturbing. If she had to enter a gulag to rescue Poe, it would provide some dramatic tension for the characters. The sequels shouldn't repeat this stuff, but that's the purpose it served in the OT. Characters have a responsibility to their environment and to their friends.

The plot point of Jabba's Palace is just to set up the fact that some people can't be reasoned with, before showing that the Ewoks can be reasoned with, before showing that Vader has a heart and is human. It's a 3-point priming process.
>>
File: 1459901735643.jpg (43 KB, 420x388) Image search: [Google]
1459901735643.jpg
43 KB, 420x388
Is hating the prequels a meme? I really liked everything about it if I am going to be honest with myself. I just kind of feel that the critics just ganged up on it for them cool/celebrity points an to be part of the 'in' crowd.
>>
Christopher Lee's booming voice

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXHDpCe-KI
>>
File: meesa jamaican stereotype.jpg (21 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
meesa jamaican stereotype.jpg
21 KB, 580x326
>>68968955
>kylo's emo and child behavior make anakin in ep2 look like an adult
People who complain about this are fucking retarded. Anakin's emo bullshit was infuriating because he was supposed to be a likeable protagonist, Kylo Ren's emo bullshit is fine because he's an antagonist that you're supposed to hate.
>lucas never suggested such subtle racism in his films
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>68965537
At least they weren't The Force Awakens.
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 1280x720
>>68969070
JJ didn't slow down enough to help the composer score a sequence.

If they know what kind of pantomime they're going for, they don't need to pad it with quips. Look at how mute the throne room scene actually is:

https://youtu.be/Tj-GZJhfBmI
>>
>>68969524
It's amazing the difference letting John do his thing can have on something.

Seriously, fuck JJ for pissing on the sure thing he was given.
>>
File: Watto rubs hands - Star Wars.jpg (48 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
Watto rubs hands - Star Wars.jpg
48 KB, 501x585
>>68968955
>kylo's emo and child behavior make anakin in ep2 look like an adult.
Everyone shits on Anakin being emo because in the original trilogy we were told he was a noble hero who tragically turned to the dark side. There's nothing wrong with Kylo being emo since he's a bad guy we don't know.
>finn was the quintessential negro buffoon, a character with no dignity whose only purpose was comic relief.
Both the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy had comic relief characters.
ayy lmao, did you seriously forget Jar Jar and Watto?
>ok, so you're not a fan of star wars. ok.
Fuck you autistic George fanboys, you don't have to like everything George shat out to be a "true" Star Wars fan.
>i doubt disney will produce anything comparable to the battles scene in clone wars
Those battle scenes were shit, they were like watching someone play a PS2 game.
>>it's ok for star wars to completely lose its artistic integrity
Kill yourself, ever since George shoved Ewoks into ROTJ to sell teddy bears Star Wars has been a product. Don't delude yourself into thinking the franchise had some artistic integrity left before Disney bought it.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 1200x675
>>68969689
Well, it's not necessarily intentional... Abrams doesn't rely on storyboarding, while Johnson apparently does.

You have to think like a silent film director in most cases.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x500
>>68965537
One thing???
>>
>>68969278
I don't think Jar Jar is based on a jamaican stereotype. Lucas has said he wasn't.
>>
>>68969799
Kylo being whiny caused a problem since it made him less intimidating, which made the final battle seem underwhelming.
>>
>>68968955
I hope you realize that when TPM came out it got a lot of shit for seeming to make fun of jewish and black stereotypes
Also, i was talking about the casting of Rey and Kylo, and said that Finn's casting was better than TPM anakin

>so you're not a fan of star wars
Is that really your excuse for defending a science-fantasy movie which doesn't feel a bit like a sci-fi, a fantasy or an adventure, unlike the originals did?

>it's ok for star wars to completely lose its artistic integrity
So you're saying there was any at all in prequels?
Besides, that's a strawman, i admitted that they took it a little too far

>implying "nooooo" was the actual ending
Well, it was still a lot stupider than TFA's ending
Besides, you talk about artistic integrity, yet you don't want them to have an ending that differs from the one's we've already seen?
>>
>>68969879
And I don't think Finn is based on a negro buffoon stereotype. JJ has never been asked about it but if he was I'm 100% sure he wouldn't say "oh yeah, Finn is supposed to be a stereotype. I really hate niggers."
>>
File: 1461795415519.jpg (103 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1461795415519.jpg
103 KB, 960x720
The pod race.
>>
>>68969033
read more
>Don't get me wrong, original trilogy does look good all things considered, but it's really easy to tell
>>
File: TPM1.webm (3 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
TPM1.webm
3 MB, 1920x816
>>
>>68969971
The emo shit didn't de-emphasize his power though. The impressive stuff he did with the force made him feel like an intimidating threat.
>>
>>68969254
>it's like poetry, it rhymes

But in all honesty, that's pretty good analysis, thanks
>>
File: TPM2.webm (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
TPM2.webm
2 MB, 1920x816
>>68970226
>>
File: Neta-Lee.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Neta-Lee.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>68970451
>>
>>68967861
just let them meme, anon
>>
File: cereal.jpg (72 KB, 450x595) Image search: [Google]
cereal.jpg
72 KB, 450x595
>>68968955
>mfw there are people on /tv/ that think George Lucas and the prequels have artistic integrity
>>
They killed all possible hype I might have experienced for Disney Star Wars.
>>
>>68970147
I agree. That's a different anon.
>>
>>68970650
TFA was shit
>>
File: 1454137108003.gif (532 KB, 480x264) Image search: [Google]
1454137108003.gif
532 KB, 480x264
Ewan
>>
>>68970748
The casting wasn't.
>>
>>68970748
It was worse than any of the originals and was lazy in its rehash of "muh big death star and empire" shit but in terms of its delivery of a film outside of the plot, it makes the prequels look like a school nativity play
>>
>>68970653
HOLY SHIT
MUH CHILDHOOOD
I FORGOT ABOUT THIS
TY BASED ANON
>>
>>68970287
Rey overpowered him in the interrogation. He did seem powerful when he paralyzed Rey and when he slammed Rey (or Finn?) into a tree, but never kept using those powers.
>>
darth maul, sheev
>>
>>68970910
that's because it's shit writing that's being made up as they go
>>
>>68970653

Why is every Disney tie-in cereal just a variation on lucky charms?

At least BvS had the balls to do two different kinds of cereal for their shit.
>>
>>68970934
as opposed to Luke and Leia being brother and sister, the length of time it takes to train a Jedi, the name "Darth", Vader being anything other than a generic bad guy, Padme randomly falling in love with Anakin, force lightning... I mean... I could go on all day.
>>
>>68970934
I wouldn't call it shit. I thought it was better than 1 and 2; although, I preferred 1 because it was less conventional.
>>
>>68965537
>Had a grand sense of scale
>Fleshed put the universe more
>John Williams
>Felt distinct from the OT

Other than that, they sucked, and should only be considered semi-canon, like the Silmarillion is for LotR.
>>
File: anoncap00028.png (3 MB, 2517x1080) Image search: [Google]
anoncap00028.png
3 MB, 2517x1080
>>68970994
>Padme randomly falling in love with Anakin
You're right.
It's not like they literally spent weeks together doing nothing but talking and getting to know each other or anything like that.
>>
>>68971070
And over those weeks Anakin acted like a whiny sex starved asshole and told Padme that he supports fascism. If Anakin and Padme's romance was based purely on physical attraction I wouldn't mind this shit but the problem is George wants us to believe Padme and Anakin have a deep romance even though they have no chemistry.
>>
File: birth and death of vader.webm (1 MB, 1274x1080) Image search: [Google]
birth and death of vader.webm
1 MB, 1274x1080
>>68965537
I genuinely like the pottery, memes aside.

The other stuff people bring up all the time, music, Sheev, Obi-Wan, art design.

The worlds were way more interesting, unique, and memorable than the OT. The Clone Troopers and Battle Droids were both really cool, the clone wars in general was neat. I genuinely prefer the setting to that of the OT.
>>
I liked them when they were over.
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 1280x720
>>68969971
Usually after you have a 'Peripety' or an 'Anagnorisis', in this case, you don't want a huge battle afterward to dilute the drama.
>>
>>68967295
Nah. I really really dislike episove VII, but the one thing I really have to give it is that most of those designs were great. I also liked the new tie fighters.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 638x479
>>68971246
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 970x911) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 970x911
So when Ren killed his father, he experienced a Peripety, and when he realized that he had committed a terrible mistake, he experienced Anagnorisis.

I think, anyway.
>>
File: clone executon.webm (707 KB, 941x400) Image search: [Google]
clone executon.webm
707 KB, 941x400
>>68967747
This. TCW is genuinely better than any of the movies.
>>
Phantom Menace: Duel of Fates

Clones: The arena sequence.

Sith: Anakin vs Kenobi
>>
>>68971070
>ignoring how terrible those scenes were
He bitched nonstop, said he would support a fascist dictatorship and had a psychotic rant about how he murdered an entire village of sand people. He did EVERYTHING wrong and yet she fell for him anyway.
>>
File: It ain't Sheev starts playing.webm (1 MB, 1176x500) Image search: [Google]
It ain't Sheev starts playing.webm
1 MB, 1176x500
>>68971408
>>
>>68966175
>The literal fall of democracy and freedom because the people are scared and give their rights away.
No, that was all Jar Jar >DELLOW FELEGATES
Also, it reminded me of Hitler's rise to power. I'm pretty sure the situation was pretty similar.. he got emergency powers but then never gave them up. Jar Jar in this case is one of Hitler's nazi followers, maybe Goebbels.
>>
>>68967916
I know what you mean, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the head size for the alien design? Like, 90% of the designs are just midgets with large alien heads. It just looks cheap.
>>
File: Umbara invasion.webm (2 MB, 941x400) Image search: [Google]
Umbara invasion.webm
2 MB, 941x400
>>68971685
The villain's motivations may have been awful, but Umbara was truly the purest of Kino
>>
>>68971453
Jedi mind trips are better than Rophonyl.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 437x437
I hate the fact that Lucas stopped using blood effects.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 1024x435
>A 'cartharsis', if you will, where the audience is invited to feel pity and fear for Anakin, in spite of his crimes...
>>
>>68965537
That they ended.
>>
>>68965537
The Phantom Menace is one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies ever made. I've watched it more than any other SW movie, because almost every line of dialogue is funny.

It's an endless supply of entertainment, every single viewing more and more awful moments reveal themselves that I never even noticed before. I can't bring myself to say I don't love this movie.
>>
The music was so much better than TFA, even ignoring Duel of the Fates
>>
>>68971880
That's probably a faggot censor issue more than a Lucas issue.
>>
>>68970684
Hating on two things in one simple statement, good job!

>>68970945
Probably the cheapest to produce or something

>>68971260
>someone that actually takes a grey side, rather than hating or praising everything
You're a good guy
>>
File: 1452138810308.jpg (12 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1452138810308.jpg
12 KB, 236x236
>>68971880
Certain amounts of distinguishable blood/blood spray moves the age rating up, or something, or was that detailed dismemberment, I cant remember. Didnt want a kids movie being R rated. Its like why they fight robots instead of people, I mean, if the jedi were killing actual people in that amount and with such ease these movies would be some of the most gruesome movies every made, but robots dont bleed, so you can have the most violent fight scenes imaginable and still only get a PG, even if it involves cutting off their legs and watching them crawl along the ground crying for help, its just a robot
>now imagining the droids all replaced with humans in every scene
>>
>>68965566
Order 66, yadda yadda
>>
>>68968024
I can't help but think you're just mad that he spelled these things out for you and you were too stupid to have seen them before.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1280x546) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1280x546
>>68972822
Did the ratings board become that sensitive since the 1980's?
>>
File: JangoFett-OP.jpg (195 KB, 536x712) Image search: [Google]
JangoFett-OP.jpg
195 KB, 536x712
>>68965537
Jango Fett was pretty badass.
>>
File: rogered.jpg (47 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
rogered.jpg
47 KB, 488x488
>>68965537
I like the droid sound effect.

I also thought the Yoda vs. Dooku fight was cool. Yes, it completely ruined his character, but it was funny to watch an acrobat midget fight Dracula with glowsticks.
>>
>>68972939
Yes actually, the entirety of action movies went through that "think of the kids" era where movies were toning down their blood and violence levels because censors started getting restrictive on account of soccer moms complaining their kids liked these movies but these movies were violent. Use to be you made a movie, now you NEED to have a target demographic so you can work within the rating.
>>
File: midichlorians-ahiqg5.jpg (28 KB, 600x428) Image search: [Google]
midichlorians-ahiqg5.jpg
28 KB, 600x428
>>68965537
>>
>>68965537
Not sure whos interested but I edited some Force Awakens scenes with old Star Wars Music

https://vimeo.com/164909194
>>
Force Awakens makes it clear that under Disneys grasp they have completely lost grasp of the world of Star Wars.

Just compare the opening scenes of I and IV and VII

>I - Reveals the history of the Jedi as peacekeepers embroiled in intergalactic conflict/conspiracy while also establishing their near-invincibility in conjuction with their future fall
>IV - Reveals the desperation of the rebels literally in the size comparison of the ships, the eminence of Vader and subsequently the hope that R2D2 escapes with
>VII - Shows that both sides want the plot macguffin and gives us forced exposition for Kylo later revisited (you should write down what this old dude is say- oh nevermind we'll just have Snoke repeat the same conversation but a bit more specifically next time)
>>
>>68965537
Music
Obi Wan
Anakin
Yoda
Maul
Palpatine
Dooku
Mace Windu
Qui Gon
Everything about episode 3
You know what, pretty much everything aside from Jar Jar and kid Anakin.
>>
>>68973413
this desu
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 619x502) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 619x502
>>68973157
I forgot that Disney was part of the gentrification process....
>>
John Williams' score is top notch -- especially TPM and RotS.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 900x381) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 900x381
>>68973224
Episode VIII Promotional Photography:

https://youtu.be/e5oIJH2bcH4
>>
>>68965537
it's super quotable
>>
>>68970226
Looked cute as fuck in TPM, but was a 10/10 seed demon in AOTC
>>
>>68973224
It's incredible what this score does for the scene... It makes it appear far more cohesive and legible. The characters don't seem to merit the bombast, however...

There's also too much talking in the scene, it could have been limited to interjections. Yet in purely visual terms, it raises my estimation of the direction.
>>
>>68965537
the opening scene of revenge of the sith and obi v anakin
>>
The dinner scene.

But Jar Jar fucking ruins it. I don't hate Jar Jar nearly as much as some people do, but holy shit, in that one specific scene I can't stand him, because he ruins what would otherwise be one of the best directed scenes in star wars.

For once, the writing, editing, and even acting are all really good. Even fucking kid Anakin actually delivers some lines really well, in this one scene, dripping with atmosphere. But Jar Jar fucking buts in, completely ruins the tension and the tone. We don't need Jar Jar making wacky quips about slaves being fucking executed.
>>
>>68975547
Watch the "no cheese edit" on youtube, its crude but it ffectively removes all the jar jar scenes that are unnecessary and anytime he is talking its sub titled so he says things actually relevant to the story and doesnt sound like a retard.
>>
>>68965537
The memes were top tier stuff
>>
>>68975969
Awful edit.
>>
>>68973224
I wasn't convinced at first but then when that force theme came on while Poe was sweeping up the TIEs I got chills

Well done
>>
>>68978517
Im not sayings its good, I recommended based on the nature of the post I was responding to. If Jar Jar wasnt soley a comic relief character alot of scenes wouldnt be so insufferable, the edit shows that you dont need to flat out remove the character, just make him competent and not just there because you need "comedy", noone likes watching retards waving their hands and drooling in the middle of a scene.
>>
>>68965537
The one on one fight scene
>>
>>68965537
the sand
>>
>>68970910
Ya pretty much this. Rey being stronger than him from the get go and then beating him in a lightsaber fight when she has no training is pretty silly. He appears laughably weak apart from his ability to stop blaster fire.
>>
>>68965537
Despite all the bad parts, they were made
>>
>>68965537
The thought of Liam fucking Natalie's lights out. There is literally nothing else redeeming in any of them. Or in any sequel, either.
>>
>>68979887
They gimped Kylo in every possible way they could without making it so he literally couldn't move to justify Rey winning that fight.
>>
>>68965537
Sheev

It is not Episode 7

Natalie Portman
>>
>>68965819

is this real life
>>
The concept of the story of Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship. Brother vs brother.
>>
>>68965537
Pretty much the same as everyone else here, the music was great, Sheev just having so much fun that his scenes were enjoyable, Ewan managed to make me enjoy his performance as Obi-Wan even through the wooden dialogue and lack of direction. The space battle was a bit awkward but it had some good visuals, same for the final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin, the individual visuals were good but the fight went on a bit too long.
>>
the edginess desu
>>
>>68966175
All the negative you say you noticed was just terrible writing. None of it was intentional
>>
>>68965537
The score is incredible
>>
>>68966149
You have autism.
>>
>>68965537
They made it that much more satisfying when the actual canon sequel came out last year.
>>
>>68982544
spoken like a true pleb
>>
>>68965537
the score
it launched rlm
>>
File: tim pfft.gif (425 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
tim pfft.gif
425 KB, 320x180
>>68965819
>the digital equivalent of the opening shot of Orson Welles’s
>The scripted politics of the conflicts have a grand imagination
> I watched these sequences over and was repeatedly and unflaggingly amazed by Lucas’s precise, dynamic, wildly imaginative direction.

Jesus fucking christ
>>
The music is so good it only highlights how unfitting it is for such a shallow empty trilogy with boring characters that never have drama warranting the beautiful songs written to company them.
>>
lightsabers
>>
>>68966175
The Jedi are corrupt, amoral assholes even in the original series. Look at Yoda and Obi-wan talking about Luke.
>>
>>68984131
The music was the only element of the production where anybody game a shit, because it was likely made in a vacuum without George's passive mediocrity tainting it all.
>>
>>68984291
The sound effects were great too.
>>
>The music
>Ewan as Obi Wan
>Sheev
>Gave us the clone wars series; both
>>
UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>68965537
They at least still felt big; big universe, big conflict, multiple storylines. Unlike TFA that felt small for a Star Wars movie.

Also, I liked the pod racing. Sue me.
>>
>>68965537
that i don't have to watch them
>>
Grievous.
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.