[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horace and Pete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: 56169165132.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
56169165132.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
First show in a long time that's brought me to tears. Anyone else see this?

The family drama is so real and brings me back to my fucked up family.
>>
I'm a terminally suicidal alcoholic who is dealing with both a lifetime of abuse from my parents, a betrayal from both self and others, and harbinging mental illnesses and PTSD from both physical and sexual abuse from my family.

Horace and Pete was the emotional catharsis I've been looking for.
>>
I'm reluctant to start it because of how hit or miss Louie was. When he was doing surreal slice of life shit it was amazing, but when he tries to get existential and serious with extended dialogue scenes I couldn't stand most of it. I feel like this is the same thing
>>
I really fell out with CK. His latest comedy special fell flat for me and he's seemed to have gotten really pretentious.

But I heard Louis talk about this on WTF with Marc Maron and he was moved to tears talking about his own show.

I decided to check it out and I was moved to tears too.

It's so brutal. So real. It pulled me into it so completely.

It's some of the best television I've ever seen.
>>
>>68945802
He's got a lot of talent backing it.

Buscemi, Lang, and some of his comedian friends.

I don't know if CK had writing partners but it's really been improved.
>>
File: 161651631032.jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
161651631032.jpg
50 KB, 640x360
Wanted to show this scene to /pol/
>>
>>68945802
Well, it's impossible to explain. It's just a drama featuring the best performances of the associated's lives.

And when we're speaking Edie, Alda and Buscemi well...you really should watch it.

And yes...Louis gave a handout to all his comedian friends and honestly a lot of them bring it down [except for based Wright], but it's still very, very good.
>>
>>68945679
i know how you feel dude, however i don't have that disease
>>
Terrible writing. The entire thing feels like getting hit with a sledgehammer.
>>
Episode 3 was EXTREMELY good, I had one of those rare moments after it ended where I just stared out into space for 5 minutes in awe of what I had witnessed.
>>
this series is so good, i don't know why it won't have a second season, they need money? i have 3 million on bank, i'd give them it all to have more episodes
>>
>>68946873
Which one?
Ha ha.
>>
>>68946922
Why the fuck would they have a second season?

What's with America's obsessions with more, more, MORE?! It's a single shot, it's a fucking story.

God damn you gluttonous pieces of shit. Go eat another burger and shut the fuck up!
>>
>>68946922
Loui said he might do more if he ever felt the itch to do it, but basically it's just a very special, very focused self contained story.
>>
Close to masterpiece imo

Last episode broke my heart
>>
>Buscemi will die working for Sandler
why bros?
>>
How the fuck are so many fags vaguely praising this shit? Is this a shill thread? Cant fucking describe what this show is? So groundbreaking in its endeavors I just HAVE TO watch it?
>>
>>68947192
It's a very real family drama about people who own a bar. It's almost like a play in how it's acted and shot. It deals with very dark subject matter that hits home with a lot of people.
>>
>>68947192

Because it's well written, stunningly acted and overall very good ? Fucking moron not everything is shilling
>>
You guys have to be memeing. This show was not that special. Louis should stick to stand-up and stop trying to be deep. His understanding of politics and philosophy is sophomoric at best.
>>
>>68947267
It's a simple concept that doesn't need extrapolating to mean deeply. Don't hold onto the past. It's told with a very realistic story, through unrealistic diction it's true, but you'd be hard pressed not to find someone who hasn't been through what he's told.

And yes, I will admit, it's not that special. But nevertheless it's the only story told that actually delves into the shit no-one wants to talk about.

Through comparison, that's amazing.
>>
File: staring at screen.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
staring at screen.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>68945679
>I'm a terminally suicidal alcoholic who is dealing with both a lifetime of abuse from my parents, a betrayal from both self and others, and harbinging mental illnesses and PTSD from both physical and sexual abuse from my family.
>>
>>68947395
Addendum: In television, or through the televised medium. In theatre, novels, and movies, it's oft-told. But television never. Louis realized this years ago with Louie, and this is just the natural evolution of that.

it's weird. Ever look at this and say, "Fuck, this is weird"? The fact that in 2016 we get the first series to really look at hatred, alienation, human behaviour, mental illness and disease through such a large and unfocused lense? What other television show has ever touched on cheating to such a measure that episode 3 did?

None has ever.
>>
>>68947395
Louis just retire already
>>
>>68946350
>Wanted to show this scene to /pol/

Why? What is it about?
>>
>>68947485
Fighting between liberals and conservatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iRM1iN-3a4
>>
>>68947453
Please. Youre just being forced to look at a crumbling comedian's sole point of view on any given social matter and a one-sided conversation
>>
>>68947485
It just presents a false compromise between conservatives and liberals. Then a beligerent drunk tells everyone they're sheeple. Really hard hitting stuff.
>>
>>68947602
whats your favorite television show
>>
>>68947623
How is that relevant?
>>
>>68947646
what is it
>>
>>68947670
Vampire Diaries
>>
>>68947694
:)
>>
>>68947602
Isn't that the middle guy's point? A false compromise is a message of peace. Of functioning humanity.
He even says it himself "a way for the two to seek a common ground".
It's not a catch-all solution, it's just a way for the two to exist commonly. However shallowly it may be, that's what it takes.

>>68947481
I am not Louis. I don't want to be Louis. I am far prettier than that fat ginger fuck...though with roughly 3.6 million dollars less than he has. Shit.
>>
>>68947061
both, i think
>>
>>68947096
i'm not american
>>68947123
it would be nice, i don't see a problem with more of something if you're still alive... just 2 more seasons and it's all good
>>
>>68947788
Well. It's not fun. The terminally suicidal thing is interesting, in a way, because I have a set point at which things get bad enough at which I kill myself.

A very set point.

But the alcoholism eh...I mean, it gets one through the night, but fucking drains the bank account. Never give a homeless man money as they will always spend it on booze.
>>
>>68947767
A false compromise is just that...false. Sometimes there is no middle ground. The middle ground has constantly shifted through the decades. You can't base your politics off of a constantly shifting grey area.
>>
>>68947814
>it would be nice, i don't see a problem with more of something if you're still alive... just 2 more seasons and it's all good
I'll assume you're a fan of three things
1. Louis' stand up
2. Louie
3. Horace and Pete

Now, Horace and Pete was clearly built and created because he spent time away from 2. to create it. To spend a lot of his mental, creative, time-based and financial batteries on it. So, by your logic, we should have more of 1. 2. and 3.
And where does that leave us? Without 4.

>>68947875
I agree, but look at the context presented in the scene. Two men screaming at each other off of false equivalences. I am a man who thinks that politics is...bullshit. I am an objectivist, who wishes for the greater good the greater good so yeah, I took issue with that scene as well, because nothing is solved.

But at the same time, Horace & Pete's undercurrent of politics is INCREDIBLY dated to our present [and this is a flaw] and the conversation is directed towards such.
>>
>>68947942
Anyways, we're getting distracted.

Can we all agree that Alda deserves an Emmy for this incredible performance before he dies?
>>
>>68947447
What?
>>
File: pcl_17.jpg (63 KB, 585x454) Image search: [Google]
pcl_17.jpg
63 KB, 585x454
>>68948053

Nothing, man. It's just a bit shocking. It's also a sober reminder that my own problems are pretty meager and pale in comparison.

I hope only for the best for you.
>>
>>68948419
You know that song, from MGS, the best is yet to come?

It's beautiful, awe-inspiring, a remember...that there is beauty in this world. Something to live for.

Well. I've been inside of that, I've fucked that. I've taken the most intimacy a human could ever gain, a kind of...pillow existential requirement.

It did not do a trick. I will die. I've done the math and I will die within the summer of 2019.

Btut I mean...I hope you are well. Truly. I've leave you with two quotes

1.: "Now is the envy of the dead."
2.: "The dead do not expect a future."

Anyways. Good luck.
>>
>>68947623
>watching the electric jew

wew
>>
>>68949279
Niggers only control 70% of it. Honestly, HBO is the only white channel left.

You think Veep, Curb and GoT is controlled by niggers? They aren't clever enough for it, despite how stupdi GoT is.
>>
File: quw9q.jpg (158 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
quw9q.jpg
158 KB, 1200x900
>thread about Horace and Pete
>blogpost about someone's own shitty life
Damn it, /tv/ really is reddit.
>>
Dunno what everyone else thought about this but I watched eps 1 and 2 in like a week and was like "yah, s'alright" then 3 knocked it out of the fucking park as far as I care. I wish more people took these sort of chances with the writing and directing. You give somebody a chance like this and then an actress you've never seen takes you on an emotional rollercoaster just like that. Pretty god damned awesome. That shit just sold me on it.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.