[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is David Cronenberg so based?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: index.png (30 KB, 984x173) Image search: [Google]
index.png
30 KB, 984x173
Why is David Cronenberg so based?
>>
>>68927292
Why do movies have to be for 45 year olds?
>>
>>68927292

Is that all he said? Did he even try to read the comic?
>>
>>68927468
"""""""""source material"""""""""""

havn't you seen most hollywood movies, they take a brand then they just do something else....

you see FarCry???
>>
>>68927734
Obviously not
>>
>"I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape," he said. "I just don't think it's elevated. Christopher Nolan's best movie is Memento, and that is an interesting movie. I don't think his Batman movies are half as interesting though they're 20 million times the expense."

>Adding: "A superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, 'Dark Knight Rises is, you know, supreme cinema art,' I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about."
>>
He's objectively right and the majority of /tv/ will never admit that
>>
>>68927292
Hahahahahahaha.

So, let me get this straight. Cronenberg, who has only ever been relevant for his adolescent and edgy horror movies, is criticising others for being adolescent and edgy?

Had a good laugh, there. He should try comedy.
>>
>>68927895

>IGN: Some of your earlier work like The Fly and Videodrome could be considered elevated genre movies.

>Cronenberg: Oh, they definitely are genre. That’s a different thing, to me. I think Nicolas Roeg’s film Don't Look Now is kind of a horror/thriller, and therefore it’s a genre picture, but it’s a brilliant movie. You know, there’s genre, which would include comic book movies, and then you’re saying Batman, which is narrowing it further. So, I’ve never felt that doing a genre picture meant that you were therefore automatically excluded from the temple of art. I mean there have been some incredible gangster movies that are definitely art, that I would say are high cinematic art. So it really depends very specifically on what you’re talking about. I don’t think generalizations really help much. We were basically talking about Batman movies in that conversation, that was pretty specific.
>>
File: wtaw34f24t2t.jpg (65 KB, 560x622) Image search: [Google]
wtaw34f24t2t.jpg
65 KB, 560x622
>>68927377
Are you an american by any chance?
>>
>>68927881
The majority of /tv/ genuinely believe that he is wrong and think anyone criticising their favourite films is a marvel/DC drone respectively. Just like the majority of /v/ think people are stupid and out of touch if they say video games aren't art.
>>
>>68927938

Maybe I'm being retarded but what the fuck is a 'genre movie' and why would one ever be excluded from being considered art. Can only 'genre less' movies be art? What a bunch of morons saying nothing about nothing.
>>
>>68928996
I can confirm based on your terrible post that you are absolutely retarded.
>>
Crimes of the Future was pretty great.
>>
I think vigilantism is an interesting premise worth exploring throughout film and art, because it's very dividing politically. I'm not sure that I've watched a movie that tackles it really well, though.

Superhero movies coming out are not very prepared or willing to explore these themes, and considering their fanbases, I suppose I can't blame them. I'd love to see actual discussion of what would happen if a super-powered individual were to arrive on Earth and pledge themselves to protect it. Batman v Superman had one montage scene, which I appreciated, but it of course fell apart in the second half.
>>
>>68927938
holy fuck out fucking skilled

i feel bad for that interviewer lmfao
>>
>>68929313
>I'd love to see actual discussion of what would happen if a super-powered individual were to arrive on Earth and pledge themselves to protect it.
>Batman v Superman had one montage scene
But the entire goddamn film was about that, it literally beats you over the head with its themes.
>>
>haha fucking capeshit rivalries are stupid
>[rivals capeshit]
>>
>>68927938
REKT
>>
>>68927377
>>68927468
>>68927895
Butthurt marvelfags/dcucks itt. You literally can't stop being buttflustered when someone tells you the truth
>>
>>68929665

Fuck you
>>
>>68928996
>Maybe I'm being retarded
You answered your own question right there.
>>
>>68929702
Kek, Marvel/DC will never make anything close to even Maps to The Stars, maybe dc can due to being WB though
>>
>>68927292
Nice.

I've actually never watched any Cronenberg films. Is A History of Violence any good? What are his best films?
>>
>>68930982
videodrome
maps to the stars
eastern promises
the fly
dead ringers
>>
>>68931235
Naked Lunch
Crash

His opus is A History of Violence however
>>
>>68930982
Eastern Promises is absolutely kino
>>
>>68931235
>>68931297
thanks senpaitachi
>>
>>68931235
>>68931280

no Brood or Shivers?

fucking hacks
>>
>Movieline: I always wondered what goes on at those Masters of Horror dinners...

>John Carpenter: It's at the Hamburger Hamlet, and we have these strange visitors—people who aren't horror but want to be. Oh, it's fun though. Now, David Cronenberg used to be horror, but now he considers himself an artist, so he's a little bit above us, which was shocking to me. Because David and I used to be friends in the old days, and now, I don't know. I'm a little low class for him. It's really weird. So I quickly made an exit. "I don't want to bother you. Sorry!" I was like, "Hey David, how you doin'?" Wow, you're kidding me. You take yourself really seriously.
>>
>>68927292
The ultimate kino redpill.

I have no problem with people enjoying capeshit, I do enjoy some myself, but at least see them for exactly what they are. Popcorn flicks for kids.
>>
>>68931297
This. Top notch film.
>>
>>68932589
Carpenter is a dick tbqh. He talks shit about other people all the time while he himself hasn't made a good film in over 20 years. He's just a bitter old man.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.