[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of this movie? Killing pimps makes you feel good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: Taxi Driver.jpg (220 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Taxi Driver.jpg
220 KB, 1024x576
What was the point of this movie? Killing pimps makes you feel good?
>>
>>68922951
the point is: Murica is full of retarded
>>
File: Diddly.gif (692 KB, 480x256) Image search: [Google]
Diddly.gif
692 KB, 480x256
>>68922951
Not sure if troll or retarded, will continue to observe thread
>>
read the screenplay
>>
>>68922951
Awkward men who are socially isolated and lonely are fucking dangerous. If Bickle were a teenager he'd probably have gone full Elliot Roger on his high school.

Really though, it's more about the conditions that make Travis lonely and isolated and exploring how it effects him. How he develops a weird superiority complex (think kind of like a proto-/pol/ mentality) towards the 'scum' that he shares space with despite being obsessed with a teenage girl and starts lashing out violently at seemingly any target he can rationalize to fit his image of himself as the good guy surrounded by filth.
>>
It was one of the first films to put you in the perspective of the protagonist.
Such examples being in the diner when the camera zooms in on the alka seltzer or when he's on the phone and the camera tracks to show the hallway instead of Travis.
>>
>>68923628
The point though anon, OP asked for the point.
>>
File: 1444959468414.png (59 KB, 684x710) Image search: [Google]
1444959468414.png
59 KB, 684x710
I liked the movie and could sympathize and stuff

but if I were going to go on a rampage the last thing I'd do is shoot a pimp and rescue some teenage whore
>>
>>68923786
It doesn't matter who they are, what matters is his plan

Seriously though, the whole point was that he was just as willing to kill a politician as he was to kill a bunch of pimps, the rationalization was the same and the target didn't matter.
>>
>>68923884
actually forgot about that.
>>
File: image.jpg (496 KB, 1719x1208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
496 KB, 1719x1208
Updated remake when?
>>
No, it was saying isolation and loneliness is dangerous to a person because it detaches them from reality.

As >>68923513 commented, if he was a teenager he would have gone school shooter but as an adult, he was going to assassinate a politician.
In the end what he did wasn't bad, killing pimps and saving lolis was the anti-hero thing to do.
>>
"Age is just a number"
>>
character study of socially ackward loners
>>
File: 1461036918363.jpg (140 KB, 732x648) Image search: [Google]
1461036918363.jpg
140 KB, 732x648
Any chance that this thread that's actually about a movie could not die?
>>
>>68922951
Sympathy and fighting what you live for
>>
Everybody wants to be a hero in their story.
>>
>>68922951
/tv/: the movie
>>
The main point was that he was just as close to being a public enemy as he was the hero.
He was always a volatile man who's hatred of people stemmed from having to work with the scum of the earth every day, which ultimately led to him unleashing upon pimps in a 'righteous fury', and being rewarded by society for his actions. The very last scene of the movie in which he looks up into the mirror and tilts it (blurring the frame and prompting credits) indicates that nothing about his character has really changed, despite rejecting Betsy's advances

There's probably more worth mentioning about his time in Vietnam having an effect on the story but I don't think it's as relevant as the rest
>>
>>68922951
It doesn't have a "point" in the sense of a lesson. That would be stupid, because movies can't teach you anything about real life. It's about the experience.
>>
>>68927088
I was poster of >>68927054 and i feel the same way about some movies, this one included, in that it's more about appreciating the complex narrative and storytelling than the highschool 'themes and ideas'
>>
>>68924062
This. Even though the movie is great if you follow the trail of thought of the character it's very boring and sad. The less there is truth in a man the less valuable he becomes to the people around him.

>>68927088

>movies can't teach you anything about real life. It's about the experience.

It can be about both. For example, little bit of blogshit:

My friends and I are about doing the "fun" stuff together, but because we are rarely vulnerable with each other our bond won't be as deep and, as a result of this, there is a good chance that by the end of our life we won't have as deep bond as we could have if all of us were into some friendship movie where the characters go through the "faggatory" of sharing their feelings with each other yet grow closer because of that.

We will still be okay, but great satisfaction in life comes from deep connections, and this is just one of the areas where movies can show you a more "productive" way to live than you are living, or a more detrimental one so you can stay away from some areas. Stories are great educational tool.
>>
>>68922951
Not killing Reagan was a mistake.
>>
It's saying if you shoot Ronald Reagan, loli Jodie Foster will pay attention to you
>>
most important part of movie is the letter from prostitute mother scene.
>>
File: jodiethelolifoster.jpg (1 MB, 900x1263) Image search: [Google]
jodiethelolifoster.jpg
1 MB, 900x1263
>>68923786
maybe not for "some" teenage whore

but i'd do it for prime Jodie Foster whore
>>
Travis Bickle was an American hero who did nothing wrong.
>>
This movie is feminist bullshit
>>
File: taxi_driver_behindthescenes.jpg (361 KB, 1309x866) Image search: [Google]
taxi_driver_behindthescenes.jpg
361 KB, 1309x866
>>68923513
>rationalize to fit his image of himself as the good guy surrounded by filth.
lmao fuck off normalfag

you've been drinking too much of the self aware 4chan kool aid, Travis literally did nothing wrong. He is a product of his enviroment and circumstances..

He genuinely was surrounded by human filth. From the gun dealers, corrupt policicans, pimps and martin scorcese planning to shoot his wife in the cunt.
>>
>>68923513
>despite being obsessed with a teenage girl
he wanted to save her, if I remember right there wasn't any evidence of "obsession" other than the understandable wish to make sure she's alright.
>>
>>68922951
Crackers are going mad.
>>
shit, i gotta rewatch this
>>
>>68932511
>but he dindu nuffin
lol and then he goes and seeks out those drug/gun dealers to arm himself and become a violent martyr to his beliefs. he was basically

The issue is more complicated than that, as in regular society. You can't just go around blasting who are also products of their environment
>>
>>68933386
basically a terrorist*****
>>
>>68932511
>when you're such a manlet you make DeNiro look tall
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.