[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polarizing films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 486x720
What's the most polarizing film you've seen?

This fucker right here has exactly a 50% on RT, and every time I see it discussed online there are always two groups: one that thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, and one that thinks it's a load of junk
>>
Loved this movie. Perfect for the time I saw it.
>>
>>68898972
I fucking love this movie. Though at the same time i could see how someone could hate it.

Only God Forgives is another really polarizing one (I also love it and think its better then drive)
>>
>>68899139
loved Black Rainbow and OGF, not sure if i enjoy OGF more than Drive but i come back to watch OGF more often
>>
File: marienbad.png (304 KB, 502x524) Image search: [Google]
marienbad.png
304 KB, 502x524
I think my pick would have to be the same, OP
I've never known a single person online or irl who hasn't either adored it or detested it
I'd put Last Year at Marienbad in that kind of category as well, both are films that I'd easily put in my top 10 of all time and absolutely love to death but I can definitely understand why there's a large camp of people who violently hate either or both of the two
>>
you guys took my top 2 picks lol. i like beyond the black rainbow for my own niche reasons and ogf for a lot of the wrong (but similar) ones. unfairly or not, there are criticisms i use against almost everyone else that i refuse to apply to refn, just because of how he is. intent matters.

the fountain would be 3rd (very very ambivalent), followed by to the wonder (love) and watchmen (like more than it deserves, lots of problems though)
>>
It's really not that polarizing when considering the people who really loved it are stoners and impressionable teens who don't know any better. You show them a film with a lavalamp on loop for 2 and a half hours and they'll think that's the greatest thing since sliced bread. You remove them out of the equation and you're left with a fairly small group of people who have convinced themselves that this film isn't a piece of dogshit.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is the definition of "Style over Substance".
>>
>>68898972
From the flashback scene onwards I was really fucking uncomfortable watching this. If I had've been watching it on my own I would've shut it off but it was with my bros so we powered through it. So bravo to everyone involved. Look forward to seeing what the director does next because he clearly knows how to put a film together.
>>
>>68898972

MoS

some people are too pleb to know that it's shit
>>
File: imagesCABLVWN4.jpg (74 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
imagesCABLVWN4.jpg
74 KB, 720x1080
The critics tomatometer is 80% while the audience's is 45%
>>
So did Barry bring back the mother lode?
>>
>>68901171
Would you recommend, anon?
Loved the trailer and I've been eager to see it but it looks like the kind of film that could go either way.
>>
>>68898972
Beyond the Black Rainbow really wasn't good. I love atmospheric movies, and have no problem with style over substance, but this movie failed on many fronts in my opinion. Obviously it looked and sounded fantastic. But I thought the ending was absolutely retarded, I didn't care for the direction they took with the doctor's character, I felt scenes like the drug trip scene could have been longer. The girl's escape was intense, but the rest was utterly captivating.
>>
>>68902811
Utterly captivating?

You forget a word there?
>>
>>68902963
Oops, ya, meant the opposite
>>
>>68898972
Jesus Christ. How could anyone like that shit? It has a 6.1 on IMDb for god's sake.
>>
I would hate the movie a lot less if it didnt have the worst ending ive ever seen
>>
File: 1461550241483.jpg (1 MB, 1656x2514) Image search: [Google]
1461550241483.jpg
1 MB, 1656x2514
heres a list of modern polarizing films
>>
>>68903433
None of those are films except for The Tree of Life.
>>
>>68903606
So are Inherent Vice and Spring Breakers
>>
>>68898972
Watched this a while ago, no strong opinion either way. I didn't mind it, wouldn't watch it again.

>>68899139
Loved Only God Forgives, it's Refn's best. Easily better than Drive, although Drive is also great.

>>68899370
I loved Last Year at Marienbad, I really need to revisit it. I hate when people call it "pretentious," it's literally the opposite. Same with OGF.

>>68899744
How's it feel to be so pleb son? At least articulate yourself like this anon >>68902811
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.