[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you been meditating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11
File: david-lynch_784x0.jpg (92 KB, 784x608) Image search: [Google]
david-lynch_784x0.jpg
92 KB, 784x608
Why haven't you been meditating?
>>
fuck off lynch leave me alone
>>
sorry
>>
>>68886410
Lynch made better movies while he was smoking cigarettes and slamming down milk shakes everyday.
>>
>>68886410
I have.

And I took LSD the other night and spent 10 hours meditating and listening to Alan Watts while watching the world change around me. It was an intense experience.
>>
>>68886410
>pssshhh kid wanna buy some coffe?
>>
File: lynchmoon.jpg (21 KB, 500x153) Image search: [Google]
lynchmoon.jpg
21 KB, 500x153
Will meditation connect me to the moon?
>>
I can't stop browsing 4chan on my smart phone.
That's why.
>>
>>68887325
BASED
>>
>>68887260
Nope, taking drugs is not the same as meditation.
>>
How do you just clear your mind? I've tried meditating but can't go more than a few seconds without something popping into my head
>>
I genuinely want to try to get into it, but video games have fucked up my patience bad
I can barely bring myself to sit down and watch a movie
>>68887260
Acid is the fucking greatest, the lazy ways man to conscience expantion
>>
File: 75wn1o9.jpg (160 KB, 736x937) Image search: [Google]
75wn1o9.jpg
160 KB, 736x937
>>68887513
>>68887513
>>
>>68887513
>How do you just clear your mind? I've tried meditating but can't go more than a few seconds without something popping into my head

Yeah it's pretty challenging, especially for a secular Western society, we're just conditioned to have a restless mind.
>>
>>68887513
That's not how mediation works. Your mind clears itself over time. You're not supposed to want anything during meditation. Just feel your breathing, be mindful of your thoughts, but don't follow your thoughts. View them and then let them go.

Grasping at "wanting a clear mind" will make your mind murky.
>>
because your shit excuse for inner tranquility requires me to pay top dollar to some hollywood yesman/guru of Transcendental Meditation©.

how far we have fallen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wh_mc8hRE
>>
>>68886410
I wanna get into Transcendental Meditation but it costs THOUSANDS. Charging that kind of money gives it a Scientology vibe.
>>
>>68886410
Is it bad to have your mind feel completely empty of thought? I realize that makes me sound retarded but when I'm not trying to think everything is very still and silent.

I used to be very restless and meditate constantly. One day something changed and its been like this ever since.
>>
>>68887705
Transcendental meditation is unnecessary and over rated. Mindfulness meditation is all that you need.
>>
What are the advantages of meditation?
>>
>>68887722
This is good
>>
>>68886410
What are you talking about I've been masturbating all day.
>>
>>68887783
Google it.
Pain reduction, lowers blood pressure, helps with anxiety and depression, and makes It easier to learn.
>>
>>68887427
I've been meditating for ages Bruv. I'm just explaining that I also meditated while on acid the other day apologies if I didn't made it clear.

The other night really opened my mind. I've been studying buddhism for a few years now but in the last 6 months I've heavily knuckled down. LSD helped.

>>68887560
I don't know what to suggest Bruv. Just that you gotta realize you need to live in the moment. I used to drink alcohol and smoke weed, play video games and go out with friends to bars hunting women. My first 2 acid trips last year totally changed that and made me realize how much of a waste of time those activities were.

I've been boxing/cross training martial arts for the last 7 years. After my trip I knuckled down with boxing and had my first boxing match, something I had always been too distracted to focus on. I won my fight and realize it wasn't what I wanted but I didn't know why. I then took acid while listening to some philosophy and realized that boxing was status chasing; it's trying to live up the false values we've been taught by modern society. Masculinity is impressive, money is impressive, you're too ugly so women won't date you, you won't get laid unless you have the latest clothes, people will like you more if you have a smart car... All of those things are lies. It's short term happiness which ultimately keeps us desiring and chasing entertainment more and more.

Nowdays I don't do martial arts at all; I go to a buddhist class and i go hiking. I'm celibate and I've gone from being sex obsessed to just wanting to have friends. Video games; tv shows; alcohol; weed... It's all different ways to keep us distracted from how unhappy we are. All we really need to be happy are friends and nature; my friend and I only used to socialize when we went out partying; now we've discovered we can have just as good of a time having a coffee or going hiking. We don't live as a human being anymore, we are a human doing.
>>
>>68887693
But Lynch was into TM shit since before Eraserhead.
>>
>>68887831
Sounds like I need to start meditating
>>
File: 1458348166137.png (6 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458348166137.png
6 KB, 500x500
>>68887887
>We don't live as a human being anymore, we are a human doing.
Holy shit man
>>
Does anyone know any good entry level easy ways to start?

I simply can't stop my mind from jumping around all retarded, I'm so scared of being alone with my thoughts because they are all bad.
>>
>>68887513
This. I've tried a few times but I just end up getting caught up in my own thoughts.

Honestly I love the whole Buddhist thing, shame about hippies ruining it for everyone.
>>
>>68887887
>"We don't live as a human being anymore, we are a human doing."
>quoting Scatman John
damn my man you really are enlightened
>>
>>68887887
>>68887930
We've always been human fucking doings. Not even the trees just "be", they''re in a constant state of do too.

Life isn't still. Life moves, life does.

>>68886410
Because TM is a demonic shill.
>>
>>68887945
Embrace the bad and turn it into happy little trees
>>
>>68887993

I'm a human going!
>>
>>68887945
>Sit comfortably
>Focus on every breath you take in and out
>Breath normally
>Try to do it for say 15 minutes at a time first
>If that's too hard for you try counting your breaths to 5 and then starting over (every inhale and exhale counts as 1). I like an odd number because it forces you to focus.
>>
>>68887722
Here
>>68887945
I explained it. Google mindfulness meditation for further reading.

Jack Kornfield and shinzen young are good teachers in this subject.
>>
>>68887945
>>68887983
>>68887513

Focus on your breathing and listen to the outside world without thinking.

Breathe in and out through your nose, sit on your chair and close your eyes.

Try listening to this a few times and then eventually do it without the video. The biggest thing that helped me was going a class where the monk told us to listen, to hear the outside world and be aware. Feel our breath in and out and listen to all the noises, feel our body relaxing. And relax, don't get angry with yourself or it is counter productive. I always thought it was about going "inside" but meditation isn't that; meditation is about being in the present moment; being totally aware of the present and you can do that by truly registering with your present; picking up sounds you don't usually register, noticing how beautiful the world actually is even though you've seen it a hundred times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpUNAFHgxM
>>
That's not how mediation works. Your mind clears itself over time. You're not supposed to want anything during meditation. Just feel your breathing, be mindful of your thoughts, but don't follow your thoughts. View them and then let them go.

Grasping at "wanting a clear mind" will make your mind murky.
>>
>>68887907
legit interest, care to elaborate?
>>
>>68887993
>Scatman John
Haha I had no idea he said that. I've actually gotten it from reading articles such as this.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Ajahn_Sumedho_Attending_to_the_Here_and_Now.htm
>>
>>68887887

Kill yourself you obnoxious faggot
>>
>>68888142
>"I wanna be a human being not a human doing, I couldn't keep that pace up if I tried."
Scatman's World
>>
>>68888028
Language is indeed a problem when debating these things. I realize we are verbs; in that everything is a verb; everything is in motion. Nouns don't actually exist.

But I refer to the difference between a human "being" and a human "doing", as in we all go around our day to day life needing distraction.

How often do you see people walking down the street listening to music? How often do people complain they're bored? How often are people glued to their television screens rather than marveling at the beauty of reality? We are ALWAYS busy in the modern world; we are so used to flashing lights and entertainment that we need to be occupied constantly. We don't actually know ourselves; once you go /out/ and there are no distractions and you are alone you have nothing to do but think or perhaps read a book and reflect on it; it is then that you begin to learn about yourself.

There are record highs of depression because we need to be entertained constantly; we live in a world of material happiness where we are constantly chasing temporary happiness; we think a KFC will make us happy or new clothes, we think we're not good enough unless we look a certain way and once we get there we can finally be happy.

What people don't realize is that you will be forever chasing happiness, nothing can make you happy; happiness is a choice you make, happiness is based on your perspective. So many people live in the future; ie. thinking they will be happy once they get their desire when in reality the future is an illusion; only the present exists and the only way to be happy is to actively choose in the present to be happy. Things happen; life is up and down but our perception is what makes our reality.
>>
>>68888028
>Life isn't still. Life moves, life does.

This desu.
If life didn't do anything, it wouldn't be life, it would seize to exist.
If you want life to be, look at a damn photo but life be do for a long time and life will continue doing until the end of time, when life will be, will be at a conclusion.
>>
>>68887325
Actually kek'd. I love him
>>
>>68888316
Being mindful with awareness of presence brings happiness. You don't have to choose to be happy. Being fully present in the moment is love and happiness.
>>
>>68888178
Why are you so angry? Because you feel threatened by the notion that everything you've been lead to believe is wrong?

We've been taught our value is based upon the perception of others, if others don't approve then there is something wrong with us. Moral integrity and kindness now takes a back seat to money, power and status.

What if I were to tell you it's all a lie? They tell you that without a fast car, without certain clothes, without money and status women won't date you; they tell you that people will look down on you and laugh at you unless you look or act a certain way; and if you don't fit into the way others expect you to look you will be shunned. Do you really want to spend your life seeking approval from others? Wouldn't we all be happier if we were true friends? If we spent our time being happy with what we have rather than worrying we've not good enough? We really don't need everything the advertisers tell us we need.

>>68888342
See >>68888316

Yes we are a process, we are a continuation of the big bang. We are not a result of the big bang; we are that process still in motion. Our universe is a balanced clockwork and we are a resultant of that.

>>68888420
But lots of people choose to be unhappy, it's madness but they're so attached to their unhappiness that it forms their identity. They're scared to try to improve so instead they choose to be unhappy so they can act the victim.
>>
>>68888420
I'm not too certain of that. Being aware that one is caught in a bear trap brings happiness?
>>
>>68886410
This guy walks past you backwards while snapping his fingers to smooth jazz music and slaps your girlfriend's ass. How do you react?
>>
>>68888125
I think he mentioned it in Catching the Big Fish but I forget if it went into much detail. But here he says he started meditating while he was still married to his first wife, which means it was while Eraserhead was in production.
https://youtu.be/z2UHLMVr4vg?t=3m15s
>>
>>68888489
Ask for an autograph.
>>
>>68888316
>marveling at the beauty of reality?
>takes LSD

pick one

your drugs is pretty much television in your mind, stop fooling yourself

However I understand hat your saying, don't act like you're the first person to ever think such things, we all feel it one way or another, it's like when you see the stars after not seeing them for a while, you're reminded of the majesty of nature and this world but the fact is it's difficult to marvel at the beauty of reality, if your reality is not that good.
Some people are wageslaves, NEETs, lonely virgins, whatever, some people have harder lives, it's very easy to marvel at reality if your life is hunky dory.
>>
>>68888475
Yes, actually. There is a difference of being aware and being fully aware of the present moment.
>>
>>68888489
I let him cast her in his newest film
>>
>>68886410
silly david I'm always masturbating
ohwait
>>
>>68888542
> it's difficult to marvel at the beauty of reality, if your reality is not that good

You've missed the entire point.
>>
>>68888542
>lsd is television for your mind
Confirmed for never done psychedelics before

I get where you're coming from though
>>
>>68887887
Best post i've seen all day
Yeah I mean my post was a slight exaggeration, I have started working spending less time on weed, booze and video games and putting an hour a day away for reading philosophical stuff (reading about the krishna movement right now) and i'm planning on learning to play piano so I think i'm on the right path
I also remind myself every day to not be to concerned with my ego and practice positive thinking, and try to apply that Thoreau qoute about living in the woods to my life. I just wish for knowledge and enlightenment, I feel like I could find more joy in a lot of things I do than I do now, I just want to enjoy the simple things in existence as much as I can, can you recommend any sort of litterature or ideas to help me reach this state?
>>
>>68888554
No. Your absolutes don't work, you need to study more.
>>
>>68888472
"But lots of people choose to be unhappy, it's madness but they're so attached to their unhappiness that it forms their identity. They're scared to try to improve so instead they choose to be unhappy so they can act the victim."

I agree with what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that there comes a point where you don't need to choose to be happy, you just are happy from mindfull awareness and being in the present.
>>
>>68888711
You've never been fully in the present moment before I assume.

From experience, time stops and your human self disolve into nothingness. I've been extreme pain. As in feel like I'm going to die pain. It all dosolved. I experienced nothing but the nature of mind. All I felt was emptiness. All I saw was light.
>>
>>68888654
Alan watts.

Ajahn Brahm.

Read into living in the present and the future being an illusion I guess.

I spent most of my life chasing happiness; I was obsessed with boxing and proving I wasn't weak after being bullied for most of my younger years. Once I won my fight I realized the only people who were impressed were people I don't actually connect with; people who live in the material realm obsessed with status and material gain. People who only want to win fights for bragging rights and for female attention; so they can post about it on facebook in an attempt for fish for more material gain like status, respect and pussy.

All I needed to be happy was to love myself; to accept myself as a nice guy. I'm a kind person and I try to go through life making the right choices and helping people; people think I'm weird for finally giving up on materialism and for valuing moral ethics over greed and selfishness; but thats not their fault; they've been taught their entire lives that all that matters is their own happiness, they will scheme and manipulate to get their own way and it's tragic, I don't need angry with them, I feel bad for them because they've truly lost their way, they're like children permanently chasing happiness rather than realizing they already have it.

The more things you buy the more things you have to worry about, the more bills and loans you have around your neck the more stress you have. People spend their entire year working to go on holiday somewhere warm for 2 weeks, just so they can get drunk and indulge in temporary highs such as fast food and alcohol. There is no being happy in the future because the future doesn't exist, the present is all that exists and the present constantly becomes the future, so if we choose to be happy now we will be happy in the future.
>>
File: image067-3.jpg (72 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image067-3.jpg
72 KB, 960x640
>>68887572
infographics are uninspiring shit and not to be trusted.

my advice is watch this https://www.ted.com/talks/guillaume_nery_the_exhilarating_peace_of_freediving?language=en#t-10532

1. do some stupid bullshit like jumping jacks until youre out of breath in a private place and be proud about it, the queen of dragons couldnt even muster this
2. go outside and walk to someplace and back again
3. sip air like the video above and hold it until it hurts
4. repeat
5. return home and shitpost happier

see you in the deep
>>
>>68887513
>>68887560
Thoughts will come, especially when you are new to the practice. This is normal, but what you need to do is let them float on by. If a thought comes to you, simply let it go and return to focusing on your breath. Don't beat yourself up about thinking, don't emotionally react to anything, just let the thoughts go and disappear.
>>
For anyone interested in a basic starter guided meditation I recommend an app called Headspace. There is a ten day free thing which is a great way to get introduced to the practice. Beyond that you have to pay for it, but I've never done that. Once you go through the ten free days you can probably just go off on your own.

And to more experienced meditators, is there anything wrong with the Headspace app's practices?
>>
>>68888725
>"They're scared to try to improve so instead they choose to be unhappy so they can act the victim."

I don't understand what you mean by improve? Your mean become more qualified and earn more money, to buy more things and life security, I guess that makes people happy.
>>
>>68888495
>simple, easy, effortless technique

yeah nah
>>
>>68888854
>>68888924
>>68889073
>There is no being happy in the future because the future doesn't exist, the present is all that exists and the present constantly becomes the future, so if we choose to be happy now we will be happy in the future.
Great quote, i'll keep that in mind
This is one of those rare occasions when I feel like browsing 4chan wasn't a complete waste of time
Thanks guys
>>
File: 1461084006323.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1461084006323.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>68888851
Dear Lord, this is the type of nonsense shit you 4chan meditators listen to.

I've been meditating for years. TM is a shill. Being aware of the present moment does not help if you've got your limbs trapped in a bear trap, and you're alone in the woods, and you don't know if an actual bear is close.

You don't meditate and be in the present moment 24/7.

Sometimes, you just have to fucking act. You have to do. You have to switch the brain off, and get moving. No amount of being present will get you out of that situation, unless you just shutup and hustle.

And so it is with meditation as a whole. It won't help you, 24/7, 365 days in a year, in any conceivable situation. It helps sometimes, in certain situations, but should definitely be added to a persons skillset.

Just don't think you're going to become metahuman and enlightened from meditating.
>>
>>68889224
This.

I've been preaching about anti materialism and living in the present; but >>68888851 is just fantasy. I'm the LSD/anti materialism/anti pursuit of happiness bro.
>>
>>68889224
Right. I've always seen meditation chiefly as a tool to 'recharge' my brain (take that as you want to) and attempt to better control my thoughts, which in turn better controls moods and anxiety.

I don't really get the whole meditation for enlightenment thing, but I think people who attempt to do that are just on another level than me and I just don't even bother to understand it.
>>
>>68889224
I agree TM is a shill.

I'm referring to hypotheticals. Sure you're not in that mode of 24/7. Sounds like you should mediate lol.

I only was illustrating that I overcame pain through meditation.
>>
>>68889332
Fantasy? That was a real experience. To each there own I suppose.
>>
File: 1460048046823.jpg (438 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
1460048046823.jpg
438 KB, 800x532
>>68889414
I do in fact need to be quiet and meditate and get off 4chan right about now.

Happy living bros!
>>
>>68889224
I wouldn't go as far as saying its a shill or completely useless. It's very useful when it comes to creativity but yeah it's not going to make you enlightened or really learn anything new. I like Lynch's metaphor of it being like fishing and using each fish to catching bigger and bigger fish
>>
>>68886410
Never tried it myself, but there's this old guy in my neighborhood who always wakes up around 6 a.m. to meditate on a tree stump. I always see him on my way to the bus stop.
This one time I saw a flock of doves converge around him in a circle. Shit was weird.
>>
>>68889547
The fish being your ideas and the ocean being your mind. You can't catch ideas that weren't already there but meditation can help you reach deeper ones.
>>
File: 23453246234.gif (665 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
23453246234.gif
665 KB, 250x141
>>68887325
You faggots may think this is "a joke", but I seriously am connected to the moon. Not joking around.
>>
I used to be able to. Before I bumped shoulders with depersonalization, now meditation is the opposite for me, I have to distract myself.
>>
>>68888570
all this meditation bullshit when lynch's greatest power is his qt casting skills
>>
>>68889881
>depersonalization
was it caused by drug-use? if so, what drugs?
>>
File: 1460741544265.jpg (13 KB, 358x362) Image search: [Google]
1460741544265.jpg
13 KB, 358x362
>>68886410
Why haven't you been making good movies?
>>
>>68887887
>I've been studying buddhism for a few years now but in the last 6 months I've heavily knuckled down. LSD helped.
I see the 5th precept is for suckers.
>>
>>68888420
absolute nonsense
>>
>>68891296
>Abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness

Which acid isn't
>>
>>68891170
TOP FUCKING KEK
>>
>>68891437
Actually it's
>I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
It refers to all sorts of mind altering substances in general.
>>
>>68889786
>the ever present piano hand
>>
>>68886410
I've been getting drunk instead.
If I ever stop, I think I should probably look into meditation. Lynch is the only person who ever got me to seriously consider it.
>>
Peter Capaldi has let himself go
>>
File: 065.jpg (23 KB, 284x423) Image search: [Google]
065.jpg
23 KB, 284x423
https://youtu.be/VftbIJf_R4Q
>>
>>68891170
Just leave.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.