[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, last night I made a list of the 100 films every /tv/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
Alright, last night I made a list of the 100 films every /tv/ poster should see, I got feedback, good and bad, so it's been retweaked.

I present you with: The Essential 100, 2nd Edition.
>>
there should be a few animated movies

i would offer ghost in the shell and perfect blue

picking from the west is a lot harder for a bunch of reasons but at the very least we should try
>>
File: top100.jpg (839 KB, 1753x2999) Image search: [Google]
top100.jpg
839 KB, 1753x2999
>>68883502
please change cit kane to number 2, just makes me feel like reddits
>>
>>68883502
Where's BvS
>>
>>68883679
Animated films will never come near the quality of actual films, they are to films what comic books are to literature.
>>
Eyes Wide Shut> Clockwork Orange.
Also as other anon said, an animated film should be in there.
Good list, not overly pretentious. I'd add a few more modern movies in the mix. The place beyond the pines would be good on that list. Maybe Kids or Requiem for a Dream. Birdman.
>>
>>68883886
*tips fedora*

>>68884203
a clockwork orange might be the first film i would take off. eyes wide shut is better but kubrick already has what he needs up there. strangelove is next anyway. the next few you nominated were cringeworthy
>>
>>68884294
Take off Clockwork for A Woman Under the Influence, or Ali Fear Eats the Soul.
>>
>>68883764
In the meme list we show to newfags.
>>
>>68883679
>there should be a few animated movies

No.
>>
>>68883502
You made a typo, it's Le samourai not Les samourai. Good list tho, but asian cinema might be underrepresentated.
>>
>>68884471
Ah, damn, good catch.

I meant to include more Asian cinema, but the list got too full too quickly. I figured this was enough to give a casual viewer a basic understanding of Asian cinema though, Kurosawa and Ozu are meant to be a foundation, not a ceiling

If I redid it I might add some Hou Hsiao-Hsien though.
>>
i like this list a lot more than i expected i would but i think it tries just a little too hard to be patrician and nuanced, and some areas are lacking.

very tempted to make my own but mine would have around 70 of those so really no point, gj lads.

when do we move on to more specific niche/subcategory lists?
>>
>>68884604
tb h asian cinema is almost always underrepresentated.
>>
>>68884622
What areas would you say are lacking? There's only so much that can be fit in, but I can amend any glaring ommision.

I'll be doing an intro to German Expressionism and Beginners Guide to Westerns sometime later this week if you want more niche lists.
>>
>Still no Tree of Life
>>
>>68884846
there are a handful of essential action movies, comedies, or even both.. and there is a heavy skew against modern. there should be, but it might be a little too heavy.

horror and even sci-fi might be a little underrepresented too.

>>68884833
asian cinema is so underrated that an appropriate list better integrating it would automatically seem oversaturated and self-defeating for the people this list is for. its a fucking shame too.
>>
>>68884942
If you want to add in another horror film, I think you should replace Mystery Train with Night of the Living Dead. I don't really see Mystery Train as being top 100 essential. Or replace it with A Clockwork Orange.
>>
>>68883502
Pretty good list

>no Raiders of the Lost Ark

Mistake.
>>
>>68884942
spring summer fall winter...and spring and a better tomorrow (or hard boiled, or the killer) would fix this

>>68884604
I think Mizoguchi is also a foundation, he was one of the first well-received directors from Japan in the west, and continues to be. Hou and King Hu could be good replacements as well

>>68884363
this
>>
I would be very interested in more specific lists. Most people tend to have a special genre or era, where they know the most about. You can be "patrician" at one thing, but entry level at another. so maybe things like

>french cinema
>classic monster movies
>japan core
>sci fi worldwide
>deconstruction
>....
>>
>>68885456
didn't notice ugetsu (this is me), sorry
>>
>no Tree of Life
>no The Master
>no Her

Just for this if we get /film/ I will shitpost on it until it's taken away you fucking faggot
>>
>>68883502

hmmmmm, only a handful of jap movies

seems legit
>>
>>68885487
The Master is number 36
>>
last time a fa/tv/irgin did this, he ran surveys twice a day for a week. do you have that same or greater commitment?
>>
>>68885487
The Master is on the list, Tree of Life is far too similair to TTRL to warrant its space as an extra Malick film, and as much as I love Her, I don't see it being particularly innovative or influential in its film techniques.
>>
>>68885659
No, but I have better taste.
>>
>>68883502
Guys, guys. In Bruges is a perfect film
>>
File: don_draper_smoking_a_cigar.jpg (171 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
don_draper_smoking_a_cigar.jpg
171 KB, 500x750
This list is honestly pretty bad for a number of reasons, but mostly because quite a lot of the films on here aren't "essential" in the strictest sense especially not to someone who this list is supposedly meant for.

You've got your typical "must-see" films, but you've also put a large number of seemingly random picks, and as a result you're missing out on some great films. I suppose you were trying to capture the essentials of most genres, but unfortunately you failed, and i'm guessing it's to do with the fact you're unfamiliar with film yourself. On the other hand you've also traded some of the works of certain directors, which are praised universally, in favor of some of their lesser known ones, which are not necessarily as good, and I can only imagine you did this to make your list seem more sophisticated.

Some of these are so random and out of place I can't even begin to understand why you've included them. Others are clearly only put in because you personally find them to be great films, not bad films, but films which aren't even worthy of being called "essentials of cinema". Certainly nowhere near "innovative or influential in [their] film techniques."

Your list is also severely lacking in "contemporary" films, many of which rightfully deserve to be placed with the greatest films of all time. Again, i'm guessing the reason for this has to do with your lack of familiarity with films in general, or your understanding of films within a greater context.

At the end of the day though, I don't think any of this matters too much. It's near impossible to create the perfect "essentials" list, especially for someone who seems to have only a skin deep understanding and superficial passion for it, so any list that gets more people interested in watching more films is a good thing, no matter how terrible they are. No point aimlessly making new editions though.
>>
>no BvS

shovel that list up your ass
>>
>>68883502
Good job OP, this is a fantastic improvement. I'm glad you're committed and listening to feedback. I also prefer Eyes Wide Shut to A Clockwork Orange, but I'd say this list is getting pretty close to representing what you want it to and bring finished
>>
>>68883502
I Like the masters of the silent era but i don't think you need Greed, Intolerance, Metropolis and Sunrise, I'd replace one of them with Elevator to the Gallows or The Wages of Fear also since we've got 3 holocaust movies maybe replace one of them with The Long Goodbye since Altman is unrepresented
>>
>>68883502
monty python really sticks out like a soar thumb there
>>
There is really no point in watching anything made before 1980 unless you're a film historian or an aspiring director. Modern filmmakers have refined the narrative and cinematographic techniques of years past to the point that an average film today is better than the best film that pre-1980 has to offer.
>>
>>68883502
The Shining would make a good edition to the list
>>
>>68883502
I have probably seen every film on this list except Lawrence of Arabia. shit is like 4 hours long or whatever
>>
>>68886244
There's also Shoah on this list which is much longer than Lawrence of Arabia.
>>
>>68886424
I watched that in school
>>
>>68886195
4/10, (you) tried
>>
File: German Expressionism.png (1 MB, 600x2947) Image search: [Google]
German Expressionism.png
1 MB, 600x2947
Sup guys, OP here.

Here's an infograph on German Expressionism I've been working on, feedback is wanted as always
>>
>>68887439
short and informative. good examples
niggers need to know about Fritz Lang
>>
>>68887439
nice
>>
>>68883886
Some comic books are really good though
>>
File: 1460382353620.png (682 KB, 1094x1698) Image search: [Google]
1460382353620.png
682 KB, 1094x1698
>>68887439
Nice. Do you have charts like pic related / think about making some ?
>>
>>68888638
Don't have any yet, but I was thinking about doing a chart like that for Kubrick, Lynch and Hitchock.

Also working on a Beginners and Beyond chart for Westerns.
>>
>>68883502
Replace Night of the Hunter with On the Waterfront
>>
>>68887439
short, sweet, and to the point. nice. Might wanna mention there is a documentary about a book that just came out, "From Caligari to Hitler" about Weimar cinema for those interested. Its a good watch with plenty of clips
>>
>>68889601
Hadn't heard about that actually, thanks, sounds like a good watch.
>>
>>68887439
I like it. if it's intended for newcomers then the only change I'd make is to specify that the result of them working in Hollywood was the distinct style of the film noir (hardboiled is a bit vague).
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.