[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Dude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: enhanced-17517-1398103413-1.jpg (51 KB, 574x433) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-17517-1398103413-1.jpg
51 KB, 574x433
I want to know what people think of this show.

I just started watching it, don't remember it ever being on TV. I was born in 1990 and watched Nickelodeon all the time growing up.

It is cheesy in a Saved by the Bell sort of way, but watching this in 2016 really hits home about how different the world is now. In this show about teenagers aimed at pre-teens or older kids, there are so many jokes that would never fly for that audience today. They reference beer, make sexist comments all the time, the whole girls vs. boys thing, make fun of girls for being manly, make fun of boys for being girly, normal kid stuff...and 1990 really wasn't that long ago.

Societal issues aside, I like the dynamics of the characters here. The cast is pretty varied and play off one another well. In particularly like how the teenage ranch hands (16-17 years old or so) interact with Buddy, the boss' son, who is about 12 or 13. The older kids ignoring/tricking/abusing/etc. the younger kid is not present here and it doesn't seem like they're nice to him just because being mean to him would get them fired. To the contrary, they seem to like having him around and more or less talk to him as an equal.

Buddy himself is probably the most complex character, at least as complex as a character can be on a low-budget Nickelodeon teen sitcom like Hey Dude. He has the typical worries and interests of a guy his age, but he is subtly cunning and more often than not winds up on top and has the last laugh when the rest of the people are confused or defeated in whatever the scheme of the day is.

Also, Gecko Hawaii shirts need to come back.

Anybody else feel like discussing this show? Also, Nickelodeon from the late 1980's-to the mid-1990's in general. All things pre-Spongebob.
>>
File: hitler3.jpg (50 KB, 615x300) Image search: [Google]
hitler3.jpg
50 KB, 615x300
wasn't he on Hey Dude?
>>
>>68870970
>I want to know what people think of this show.
It's a little wild and a little strange.
>>
>>68870970

I watched it as a kid. Born in '82.

My siblings and I watched it because we were Indians living on a ranch outside of Tucson and wanting to laugh at white Hollywood's views of Indians and Arizona and ranches.

But I remember being pleasantly surprised, and thinking it was a pretty good show.
>>
File: hmmm.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
>>68870970
>I was born in 1990
>make sexist comments
>Societal issues aside,
>>
Is this streaming somewhere? I beat off to Ben Stiller's wife when I was 12.
>>
>>68870970
Are you autism?
>>
>>68870970
I was born in 91' I watched this show and it was fucking terrible I remember the hash slinging slasher ep with the dude for a rake for a hand it was dum
>>
>not posting the GOAT theme of this GOAT show
what a faggot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2TD0DUXEg
>>
>>68871007
Hey Jude
>>
I watched it, I was born in late '91. It usually came on Saturdays/Sundays in the afternoon. I preferred Salute your Shorts, though.
>>
>>68870970
I watched it as a little kid and fantasized about being a teen and having a life somewhere warm and sunny. I think the comparison to Saved by the Bell is apt. It's not really aimed at teens but preteens and younger who are fascinated by what it would be like to be a teen and have quasi-adult freedoms.

I don't know what equivalent shows are like that today, but I do know what you're saying about the jokes. Shows like Salute Your Shorts were worse and You Can't Do That On Television turned out to be aptly named.
>>
I remember that Injun always called the main guy "Mr E" and I always thought "I'll bet I know what kinds of books he likes to read."
>>
salute your shorts was better
>>
File: Marcia.gif (990 KB, 500x292) Image search: [Google]
Marcia.gif
990 KB, 500x292
>>68870970

Was born in 1980, watched it all the time. Ben Stiller's wife got me through puberty.

The brunette was more of a dyke than Jo from Facts of Life.

Danny was the original Abed.

I was certain Mr. Ernest was Rick Moranis.
>>
>>68873152
I remember thinking the same thing.

Also, Hey Dude was on until at least 1995 or so. I was born the same year as OP and I remember watching it. It was probably my least favorite show on the network at the time, though.
>>
File: Cactuar_doll.jpg (259 KB, 500x1024) Image search: [Google]
Cactuar_doll.jpg
259 KB, 500x1024
>tfw you move to Tucson and have to watch out for that killer cacti.
>>
>>68873255
agreed, ben stillers wife
the brunette was pretty cute too
all the male characters were fucking awful
>>68873256
hey dude was boring as shit, but it was part of a lineup. salute your shorts pete and pete hey dude are you afraid of the dark double dare were all the live action nick shows I'd watch back then. ren and stimpy doug rugrats angry beavers hey arnold were the others.
my kids watch some ridiculous fucking shit these days. uncle grandpa? teen titans? sanjay and whatever? the bluejay and raccoon? shits fucked up and is probably turning kids into psychopaths
>kids these days
>>
I hated that show. I think it was the desert atmosphere. I preferred Salute Your Shorts or the Adventures of Pete and Pete.
>>
No results in page for Donkey Lips.

No results for Awful Waffle.

Plebs in here haven't actually seen the show.
>>
>>68874000
you're thinking of a different show, nigger

>>68873829
>>68873938
>>
>>68871038
god damnit
>>
File: NICKpast285.png (402 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
NICKpast285.png
402 KB, 640x360
>>68870970
Really great show. I was thinking of buying all 5 seasons on dvd for around $34 a pop than I bumped into the complete series for only $19.99 at Walmart so now I own every episode on dvd along with all my 90s VHS recordings of it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.