[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: No Marvel film has ever had a scene with anything even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: image.gif (2 MB, 245x160) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 245x160
Fact: No Marvel film has ever had a scene with anything even approaching the emotional weight of this.
>>
>>68850826
Watchmen was my first Zack's movie.

Couldnt hate any of his after that.
>>
I found Dr. Manhattan's monologue in Mars to be even more emotive
>>
>>68850826
Nor has any DC film. Nor has any Snyder film since. Its a shame watchmen was his peak.
>>
rorschach shouldnt have died
>>
>>68850826

Uncle Ben's death?
>>
>>68850826
>adapt Alan Moore's work almost page by page
>simplify certain characters and the ending to make it flow better as a movie (this was actually well done)
>get praised as visionary movie maker.

Zac was literally given one of the most visually memorable and tonally interesting graphic novels to adapt. He made a few weird design choices which deviated from the novel, which people mostly dislike, but overall it was a strong film with a good plot and a lot of emotion.

He wrote barely any of it. The direction was litearlly "how do we make it look like the book." His praise for this movie is missplaced, he essentially traced the book to the screen, an impressive technical feat but not necissarily an impressive creative one.
>>
Great movie 2bh. I always liked Adrian's character the most
>>
>>68850826
But that scene didn't have any emotional weight, everyone thought that Roscharch was useless human being who deserved to die. Only Nightowl with his cuck morals would have thought that Roscharch deserved to live. In fact Roscharch life was so shit that if Dr. Manhattan would have cared he'd have gone back in time and killed him when he was still a kid.
>>
>>68850965
All you said is true, but how many directors failed with book/graphic novel adaptations? Watchmen is still the best capeshit movie
>>
>>68850972
t. mentally ill Evans spammer
>>
>>68850826
Yes, we get it, DC is sad shit, Marvel is quipshit, alright.
>>
>>68850972
Thats the whole point of the scene, both in the book and the film, Dr. Manhatan proves that he isn't the mesianic figure he could be and certain people think he is.

Unlike a real perfect messiah he doesn't go down the road of "he without sin cast the first stone." instead he takes a pragmatic approach to peace and the worth of humanity, making a sacrifice for the greater good.

In a standard monomyth hero tale the worth of humanity is proven by its lowest members. In Watchmen its shown that worth is measured by the greater good, by your effect on society and the people around you
>>
>>68850972
In the comic, yes, but the film made us care about Rorschach.
>>
>>68850826
But it was stupid for him to die like this.
>>
Emotional as in I thought he was a douche and deserved to die for being a faggot and putting his pseudo-idealism ahead of humanity? Sure.
>>
>>68850965
This guy >>68850972

Still a pretty good adaptation. Also, I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain adapting a visually complex work as Watchmen on film it's no easy job
>>
>>68850826
That's because the Marvel universe doesn't have anything as good as the Watchmen comic.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 309x163) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 309x163
Not to men like you.
>>
>murderer gets murdered

Yawn.
>>
>>68851033
I completely agree, but being good at adaptation doesn't necissarily make you good at writing/directing your original work.

James Gunn won two razzies for shit movies but then, even quips aside, GotG was a competently shot, family friendly space adventure which set out exactly what it tried to do.

Zack Snyder hasn't produced any work yet which had a clear set goal and acomplishes it during its run time, outside of adaptations.

His X-Men movies were good, but even then you have to remember they weren't auteur art, they were fun super hero flicks much like the MCU now. I don't understand why he's expected to produce capekino when the things hes done best are an adaptation of another writers kino-tier work and a bunch of capeshit which is on par with the MCU and FoX-Men franchises.
>>
File: 1448022640758.jpg (141 KB, 692x763) Image search: [Google]
1448022640758.jpg
141 KB, 692x763
>>68850972
> manhattan
> go back in time
>>
Why would I be mad that a conservative homophobe got killed?
>>
>>68851079
its why the scene is laced with so much emotion actually, now that I think about it. Rorsach, being the underdog and the scum of the earth, naturally appeals to the human desire to see the underdog succeed. In a way there is a part of most readers which sympathizes with his cold approach to justice, as represented by his psychiatrist eventually going mad, and as an audience we start to root for him despite his heinous violence. When Dr. Manhatan kills Rorsach we lose the character who we identify the most with on a basic human level, the every man trying to find justice in a justice less world by any means necissary to the point where he's driven insane. We lose the closest thing we had to a protagonist, as Rorsach is the first character we meet, and we sympathize with his desperate atempt to bring truth and justice to the world, even as our rational side agrees with Dr. Manhatan and Veidt and their equally heinous, yet much more succesfull methods.
>>
>>68851201
Isn't it implied though since at least in the movies Dr. Manhattan has a hard time of focusing on any specific moment of time? Up to the point that he keeps on reciting dates and time since its the only way he can keep track of it.
>>
>>68851421
Dr. Manhattan experiences everything "at the same time"... He can't really prevent something from happening in the future because he doesn't perceive it as not happening yet.
>>
>>68850869
Really? I found it to be absurdly trite and cringe inducing, in fact it's the one part of the movie I absolutely hated.
>>
>>68850826
What about steve and peggy's talk in Winter soldier?
>>
>>68853102
I think that's the point. Manhattan is trying his best to sound human to appease silk spectre he is bassically grasping at straws when he calls the circumstances that lead to her life a miracle
>>
>>68853344
But over time Manhattan was becoming less and less human, trying less and less to fit in. It doesn't make sense to have him suddenly turn around and be all spiritually and emotionally moved by random chance when as dr Manhattan he's probably directly aware and able to personally observe millions of phenomena that have similar probabilities.

I felt like it was a big copout, but whatever, the rest of the movie was great.
>>
>>68851108
It was the whole point of the character, being coherent to himself to the extreme consequences, you dumbfuck.
>>
>>68853251
Scarlet Witch's hallucination on Cap in AoU was worse than that, they just cut it poorly.

Managed to give feels even with the horrible editing.
>>
>>68850972
>everyone thought that Roscharch was useless human being

Who nominated you to speak for anyone?

This is the fastest way to identify a fucking shitbag faggot in real life kids.

Watch who uses vague terms like "everyone" or "people" to create some non-existent consensus to back up their own, generally weak ideas.
>>
One change I disliked in the film was Veidt's claim that Manhattan's emotions were subtle. He displayed shock, incredulity, disgust, impatience, fear, fury, and a shitload of other emotions I can't even begin to note.
>>
>>68850972
Its like you didn't even read the comic
>>
>>68850916
the fact you say that means it was good
>>
>>68850826
Of course not, Marvel movies are kid friendly popcorn flicks that appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Not dissing them and I in fact enjoy them but I also recognise what they are and what they're not and they are definitely not deep or in any way seek to explore any meaningful philosophy or profoundly impact the art of storytelling.

They're just enjoyable stories for families.
>>
>>68850826
>im gonna tell everybody your deep dark secret
>but we'll have to kill you if you do that
>im gonna tell everybody your deep dark secret
>pop

fucking stupid. if he had any brains he'd just leave, then spread the word as fast as he can. he coulda walked outta there just fine. had to be a faggot though and be all "muh moral high ground"

fucking loved the vietnam footage though, fucking awesome.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 391x220) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 391x220
>>68850826
>>
File: 1461710285832.jpg (68 KB, 745x767) Image search: [Google]
1461710285832.jpg
68 KB, 745x767
>>68850965
Fuck if most were that close to the damn source I would be happy. I'm no snob but the reason these certain stories get made into movies IS because of the material. The more the deviate and add their stupid touch often the worse it gets. Even Kubrick only fucked with his source a little... And still it went too far at times in his films. If you want to get full artistic license create your own story or adapt something new instead of being a cheap hack.
>>
>>68850826
>Marvel film
No such thing.
>>
>>68850826

Funner fact: Anything good in that movie was written by Alan Moore, who refused to have anything to be associated with it in any way, had his name removed from the credits and refused all royalties.

Zach Snyder then drained the complex characterization and moral ambiguity that made the story so unique and packaged it in a form that wouldn't challenge the sensibilities of pseudo intellectual teens and millenials who want to feel intelligent but can't deal with anything complicated.
>>
File: 1351056447640.jpg (7 KB, 130x179) Image search: [Google]
1351056447640.jpg
7 KB, 130x179
>>68857912
>>
File: Unbreakable.jpg (61 KB, 798x590) Image search: [Google]
Unbreakable.jpg
61 KB, 798x590
Eh the Rorschach ending is alright I suppose.

Still got nothing on the final confrontation in Unbreakable though.
16 years have passed and no capeshit has managed to usurp this as the best comic book film of all time.
>>
File: 1111122.jpg (87 KB, 1498x1013) Image search: [Google]
1111122.jpg
87 KB, 1498x1013
>>68857912
>>
>>68858247
Thisssssssssssssssssss couldn't be accurate. Fuck you DC and Marvel faggets
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>68858044
>>68858543
>>
>>68850865
He just copied and pasted from the comic, except for the ending. There's no skill in that.
>>
>>68851278
Agreeing with Veidt means that you'd sink to the lowest of the low just for the sake of prolonging your miserable existence for a little while longer. Agreeing with Manhattan means that you're a coward who can't make any right choices despite having literally all the power in the world in his hands.
Rorschach was a lunatic, but unlike everyone else he actually valued truth and had the balls to back his commitment up with his life on the line.

With that being said, honestly the whole Veidt endgame shit isn't really well written in Watchmen and is the worst part of the story. The only reason why he was able to accomplish his goal was because Moore ironically or unironically thought that being a genius means that you can do whatever you want and cheat death just because you are genius. There was no way for Veidt to survive his fight with the capes other than literal plot armor.
>>
>>68850972
The human race would be better off if you just killed yourself.
>>
File: downeydog.gif (482 KB, 300x154) Image search: [Google]
downeydog.gif
482 KB, 300x154
>>68850826
Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 by Raimi. Duh.

Even though I'm otherwise more of a fan of Marvel, their movies never quite came close to this climax (even though they totally FUCKED the "35 minutes" scene). I never felt that tiny swell in my chest from a Marvel movie that I did here.

Then again I was in middle school so disregard everything.
>>
File: spiderman_crying.gif (959 KB, 245x194) Image search: [Google]
spiderman_crying.gif
959 KB, 245x194
>>68859623
Oh, and that "tiny swell" in my heart I actually felt numerous times for Spider-Man and basically throughout the entire duration of 2.
>>
>>68858605
shut up dumb snake poster
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.