[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Trek Beyond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: Untitled.png (665 KB, 856x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
665 KB, 856x480
Forget the 2017 Fuller Trek show for a moment.

Do you have any hope for Star Trek Beyond at all? Is it possible it's just a REALLY bad trailer and the F&F director can pull it off? Anything you like about what you're seeing? The idea of the "frontier pushing back" does sound interesting and a good premise for a Trek film we really haven't seen before.

https://youtu.be/XRVD32rnzOw
https://youtu.be/2f4aAwa5wdg
>>
>>68847455
I thoguth the trailer was fine. Showed a lot of potential for a real sci-fi story on an alien planet dealing with alien politics/culture.
>>
There is literally no way this is going to be good especially with the direction that the director chose.
They were only thinking with their wallets when they chose him.
>>
File: 1452822289929.jpg (54 KB, 419x368) Image search: [Google]
1452822289929.jpg
54 KB, 419x368
>Star Trek movie
>Beastie Boys starts playing
>>
star trek 12
kek
plebs the fucking lot of you.
>>
Christ are there literal tears in his eyes?

This is screaming for a Punished Pegg edit. How about "A Fanboy Ascended"?
>>
Well Star Trek could have been put aside for Star wars. It could suck. who knows. the trailer for Star Trek seemed bad, and the movie was good.
>>
>>68847455

>CAPTAIN, YOU CAN'T JUST SPEND ALL YOUR TIME IN THE DARK LISTENING TO CLASSICAL MUSIC!
>>
File: Untitled.png (278 KB, 373x379) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
278 KB, 373x379
It's like he's trying to say:

"I know this film is garbage and an insult to the original series but I'm making a fair few pound doing it, and you can't really blame me for that, can you?"
>>
>>68848944
/thread
>>
>>68849384
>tryhard

Haven't heard this phrase since I played MW2

back to /v/
>>
>>68849619
>better change the subject

Not going to tell where to go, because I don't care, but do fuck off.
>>
>>68849701
you didn't bring up a subject, you just called me a tryhard cunt so i'm calling you a /v/ermin

fuck off!?!?!
>>
>>68849730
Do you really think tryhard came from /v/, just because that's where you first heard it?

Are you that fucking stupid?
>>
>>68849730
>you didn't bring up a subject

I showed you a still from an episode of the show you claim is being 'insulted' by an action-adventure movie you haven't seen yet. Since you almost certainly don't know, I'll just tell you that the episode is called A Piece of the Action, and revolves around the Enterprise crew discovering a planet that's based its entire global culture and society on a book about Chicago mobs left behind by some careless Starfleet scientist.

If the subject, and the implied point behind my referring to that episode, are lost on you, that's got nothing to do with me, bro.
>>
Watched all them Fast and Furious movies recently and Justin Lin blows JJ out of the water. JJ's the one who turned Trek into mindless generic sci-fi action so I'm excited to see someone interesting carry that forward.
>>
>>68849828
do you seriously think any of the new star trek films are in any way similar in tone to the episode you just desrcibed?

no, probably not.

you just wanted to flaunt around your superior knowledge. thats why I deliberately ignored the screenshot you posted

you're the fucking tryhard here, kiddo.
>>
>>68849874
He only directed 3+. And the movies turned to shit after the second, arguably the first.

Lin a shit.
>>
>>68849938
>do you seriously think any of the new star trek films are in any way similar in tone to the episode you just desrcibed?

No. Do you seriously think a show that featured such a plot is 'insulted' by whatever you've seen in the trailer that has you posing so furiously?

>you just wanted to flaunt around your superior knowledge

Flaunting my superior knowledge was just a necessary step in establishing that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>68849983
Tokyo Drift, Five, and Six are the best in the franchise. Bar None. No contest.
>>
>>68849992
then why is simon pegg's face crumpled into a ball of cabbage?

becuase he know's it's an embarrasing shitstain on the franchise like the previous two films, that's why

>Flaunting my superior knowledge was just a necessary step in establishing that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

more like the first step in giving yourself a brief feeling of power over what you percieve to be a lowly pleb lmao sit the FUCK down kid
>>
>>68850193
>then why is simon pegg's face crumpled into a ball of cabbage?

It's not a mystery, dude. He says exactly why in the interview. It's not a great trailer.

>like the previous two films

ST09 was an absolute blast, top three Trek films, easily. STiD was disappointing but not terrible.

>more like the first step in giving yourself a brief feeling of power

No, just establishing that you don't know very much about the franchise, and hence that your purported outrage over the 'insult' represented by the trailer is all for show. It's a pose you're striking because you think it will make you look intelligent and discerning.

But I've got shit to do. Feel free to continue screaming about how a movie you haven't seen is an insult to a TV show you haven't watched.
>>
>>68847455
Damn you can see how much he's hurting.
>>
I have plenty of hope for it. Sabotage was a poor choice of music for the trailer, but I don't think there appears to be anything wrong with the movie itself.

In fact, it looks like it might fix a few things that have bothered me about the Nu-Trek movies so far. I like that the Enterprise seems to get destroyed early on so we can spend most of the movie on an alien planet rather than staying inside a cold, sterile starship like "Into Darkness" did.

I like that when the crew goes down to the alien planet they all seem to go their separate ways and have their own ventures. It leads me to believe that for the first time in the Nu-Trek films all of the crew members will actually have something to do.

I think the villain and his motives sound very interesting. There's clearly going to be some social commentary in how the Enterprise's "five year mission" can be seen as the Federation's attempt to conquer what parts of the universe they haven't been to yet.

The fact that it's directed by Justin Lin is a cause for concern though. The last thing we need is for this movie to be more action-packed than the last two, but it looks like that's what we're getting anyway.

I do have some concerns, but overall I'm still very hopeful.
>>
>>68847475
>a real sci-fi story on an alien planet dealing with alien politics/culture.
kek

>>68847542
>Star Trek movie
>Listen all Y'all starts playing
>>
>>68847455
>Do you have any hope for Star Trek Beyond at all?

Kind of, but only as a decent action film. It's not going to be Star Trek in the slightest.
>>
>>68850600
>I like that the Enterprise seems to get destroyed early on so we can spend most of the movie on an alien planet rather than staying inside a cold, sterile starship

The Enterprise gets destroyed in every movie. I want to see a Star Trek about trekking through stars.
>>
>>68847455
No, it's going to be terrible and Pegg needs to stop doing advance damage control. Also he needs to stop being a fucking tryhard sellout.
>>
>>68850680
/thread
>>
>>68850693

> I want to see a Star Trek about trekking through stars.

There's a million seasons of Star Trek TV for that. There's a reason one of the movies haven't been about that outside of TMP and 5.

The structure of the show and the structure of making a movie are two entirely different things. Making a high-budget version of an episode is pointless.
>>
>>68850693
>The Enterprise gets destroyed in every movie.
Yeah, but the trailers seem to imply that it will happen relatively early. In these Nu-Trek films, I'm happy to see the Enterprise get destroyed if that means our characters won't be stuck inside of it for the entire movie.

>I want to see a Star Trek about trekking through stars.
I just want to see them explore shit, which it looks like they'll actually be doing in this movie, unlike the last two.
>>
>>68849384
Okay, A Piece of the Action has neither a Beastie Boys song, nor does it have a dune buggy chase. It is a silly episode, yes, but it never loses the overall tone of the series.

I frankly don't trust the guy who made "Paul Walker Goes Fast: The Motion Picture Series" to do justice to Star Trek.
>>
The director can be a weird choice, the trailer can be shit, Pegg can be JUSTed because the trailer is shit, etc. etc. None of that really has any definitive meaning.

What is truly a bad sign is that the movie was a complete no show at CinemaCon. It comes out in three months, it's Paramount's movie of the summer and they couldn't even bring a sizzle reel or a trailer to schmooze investors and theater owners? That has never been meant anything good.
>>
>>68850680

But Wrath of Khan is an action film with suspense elements and widely regarded as the best. First Contact is an action film and widely regarded as the only decent TNG movie.
>>
>>68850992

Context anon. Star Trek TMP was supposed to put the franchise back on the map and it was (to the public) overly thoughtful and plodding and dull. Wrath of Khan gave the series a shot in the arm with a more focused story with clear goals, well written characters, and humor and action and adventure all thrown together. It gave the franchise the shot in the arm that it needed at the time.

That is not the shot in the arm that the franchise needs right now. Right now the franchise needs some class and intelligence and a clear statement that this is Star Trek and not bargain bin Star Wars.
>>
>>68850902
>neither a Beastie Boys song, nor does it have a dune buggy chase

It has the unbelievably obtrusive woodwind chirping that all comedic moments in TOS have, though. Much better! And no, it doesn't have a dune buggy chase, it has a recurring bit about Kirk not being able to work the clutch on an old-timey car. What an insult those dune-buggies are, eh?

>it never loses the overall tone of the series

There is no 'overall tone of the series'. Episodes swing from the wildly melodramatic (For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky, City On The Edge Of Forever) to the manically comedic (APOTA, Mudd's Women) to the utterly insane and moronic (Spock's Brain).

The point is that TOS is not the high-minded cerebral avatar of intellectual refinement that people make it out to be when knocking Abrams. And that's ignoring the vital differences between a TV show and a movie, like >>68850850 pointed out.
>>
>>68851128
>That is not the shot in the arm that the franchise needs right now.

Given that a TV show is on the cards, I'd say JJTrek has been 100% above reproach in shot-in-the-arm terms. The franchise was literally dead when ST09 came out.
>>
>>68851153
I honestly have no idea how a person like you finds 4chan

I admire your lack of jadedness desu.
>>
>>68851153
>Kirk can't work a car is equal to a dune buggy chase.
It makes sense for Kirk, a man from a time without traditional wheeled internal combustion vehicles, to have trouble using a old clutch vehicle. Shit, I bet a lot of people now can't operate a car from the twenties. It wasn't an action packed chase scene, it was a comedy bit in a comedy episode.

>there is no overall tone of the show.
Yes there is. People who are slightly hammy actors are in a space ship exploring new shit every week. That is the tone. This movie looks like the crew gets stranded on Tatooine, and Kirk and his buddies can only get off the planet if they fill up their badass meter all the way.

TOS isn't always high minded shit, no, but it at least occasionally tries to be. I'm not expecting a new cast to be exactly like the old cast, especially since it's an action series now (well, much more so than it was, anyway), but I'm increasingly frustrated with the direction the Trek movies have taken since probably the TNG films started being made.
>>
>>68851956

>since the TNG films

Wrath of Khan was an action movie. It was an early 80's action movie so the pacing was different, but don't pretend that wasn't a summer blockbuster first and a Trek movie second.
>>
>>68851956
>It makes sense for Kirk, a man from a time without traditional wheeled internal combustion vehicles, to have trouble using a old clutch vehicle.

I'm pretty sure it makes sense for people who want to go fast to use some kind of vehicle if there's one nearby.

>People who are slightly hammy actors are in a space ship exploring new shit every week. That is the tone.

Bro do you even know what the fuck 'tone' means?

>increasingly frustrated with the direction the Trek movies have taken since probably the TNG films started being made

I mean I get that it was a long time ago, but you remember TFF, right? Scotty banging his head? Rocket boots? Even the TOS films aren't without their absolute clunkers.
>>
>>68852093
It is WAY more of an action film than TMP, but even then it has, what, one, maybe two action sequences?

Wrath of Kahn is at least half action movie, yes.
>>
>>68847455
>The idea of the "frontier pushing back" does sound interesting
Except not only has that concept already been done numerous times in various episodes of the various series, but the new series' take on it is crude and uninspired. It frankly just comes across like a high school level attempt to edge up Star Trek without giving much thought to how to use the premise adequately to explore social and philosophical ideas in a science fiction context which the series is known for.
>>
>>68852609

So you've seen the movie?
>>
>>68852609
>concept already been done numerous times in various episodes of the various series,

Such as?
>>
>>68852609
>explore social and philosophical ideas in a science fiction context which the series is known for.

The series is known for that, albeit somewhat exaggeratedly. TOS was morality plays for a popular audience, like 99% of televised drama at that time. It was slightly more courageous in the subject matter it would tackle and is massively overpraised for it in certain circles.
>>
>>68847455
>Forget the 2017 Fuller Trek show for a moment.
No

It will get canceled after the 2nd season and it will be glorious goddmanit
>>
>>68852700
Forgot to add that in contrast the films aren't really known for that. The ones that tried have mostly been shite, like TMP and the TNG one with the immortal aliens and their surgical-addiction-case outcasts.
>>
http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1461847705867s.jpg
"I've made a huge mistake getting involved with this shite AND I called my previously loyal fanbase retarded adults.... I hate my life."
>>
>>68852762

Fuck you, he hit three seasons last time so I'm allowed to hope for four.
>>
>>68852763
>The ones that tried have mostly been shite
>like TMP
You have about 20 minutes before I show up at your house anon. Start running.
>>
File: 3554.jpg (42 KB, 900x376) Image search: [Google]
3554.jpg
42 KB, 900x376
>>68852893

We'll get /film/ one day anon... won't we...?
>>
>>68847455
"Kill me."
>>
>>68847455
"I dressed up in a brown rubber suit to play a characterless generic alien in the shittest Star Wars movie ever made and then I sold my soul by saying this shit was in the spirit of A New Hope. Kill me, please."
>>
>>68852893

Dude. It's The Changeling with a bald android and extra shots of cool space shit to pad it out. It's literally an adaptation of a TOS episode with unnecessary parts.
>>
>>68853159
>It's literally an adaptation of a TOS episode
Thats why i like it. Listen i admit it has some flaws and its not the most friendly entry for general audiences but i like really slow paced and boring sci fi. You go too far in the other direction and you get mindless pew pew like the awful TNG movies. Trek should not be an action franchise. But shite it is not.
>>
>be DCuck
Everyone loves Marvel and shits on DC

>be trekkie
Everyone loves Star Wars and shits on Trek.

Though I don't blame them. These movies are as much Star Trek as Fast and Furious is the Italian Job.
>>
>>68853304
^this
>>
>>68853314
Aren't Star Wars fans the ones who like JJ-Trek?
>>
I like how pulpy and self-contained it looks. If you're gonna do Star Trek as an action movie for the normie audience, then do it this way, don't try to be overly serious and with forced continuity. The last one was a mess because it followed this Nolan formula. Just have the crew go on a wacky adventure.

Lin is good at directing action scenes and handling ensemble/character dynamics.
>>
>>68854386

I agree with this. I'm not happy with this movie but it looks WORLDS better than Into Darkness just because it has cool aliens and isn't on Earth
>>
File: go_away_star_trek.jpg (95 KB, 706x530) Image search: [Google]
go_away_star_trek.jpg
95 KB, 706x530
>>68847455

>Forget the 2017 Fuller Trek show for a moment.
>>
As someone who doesn't give a shit about Star Trek, this doesn't look bad to me.

I kinda enjoyed the two new ones. They were fun but ultimately forgettable movies. This looks exactly the same to me.
>>
>>68855405

this one is being directed by Justin Lin, as you know he directed the last three fast furious movies.
>>
>>68848944
>nerd culture was a mistake
>>
>>68855443
Which were fun and forgettable popcorn movies. Perfect fit to take over after JJ
>>
>its a most of the crew get brutally slaughtered episode

>again
>>
>>68855488

yeah I agree, leave the patrician star trek to Fuller
>>
>>68852763

> TMP
> Shite
> Wat

1 2 4 6 are the fearsome foursome
>>
File: 1421092193631.png (312 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1421092193631.png
312 KB, 500x375
>>68852817

>Bryan Fuller show with a built in fanbase
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.