[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alien Covenant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15
File: Alien-Covenant.jpg (35 KB, 1280x675) Image search: [Google]
Alien-Covenant.jpg
35 KB, 1280x675
What are your thoughts as to what happened to Elizabeth Shaw, and why she will not make a return in Prometheus' sequel?

I'm guessing David somehow blew her out of the goddamn airlock during their interstellar space travel.

Also, are Alien fans as excited if not more for this than they were for Prometheus? I know a lot of people hate on Alien 'lore' but I think this movie is going to fill in a lot of the gaps
>>
File: share-final2.jpg (406 KB, 1600x840) Image search: [Google]
share-final2.jpg
406 KB, 1600x840
desu I'm glad Noomi was dropped since she is a terrible actress who never made an impact with the American audience
>>
File: xenomorph.jpg (258 KB, 1200x805) Image search: [Google]
xenomorph.jpg
258 KB, 1200x805
>>68846145
I just want more alien and aliens movies. Alien Convent seems more like a part of aliens, but prometheus is part of alien.
2 houses, 1 great theme.

XENOMORPHS!
>>
>>68846145

the thrill is gone because

the writers can never maintain continuity in the story and they kill
off characters that would have
maintained some continuity

Aliens -> Alien 3

Alien-Prometheus -> Oops didn want that to happen kill the main character Covenant Alien who the fuck cares anymore
>>
Meh, I was looking forward to a direct sequel to Prometheus. I wanted the adventures of Shaw and David-Head :(

Also is the 'Prometheus is shit' meme over?
>>
>>68846717
>the writers can never maintain continuity in the story and they kill

It doesn't have to.

It's not a book.

They can sail in whatever direction they want at each iteration.

Only autists care about having a strong red line to follow because otherwise they can't understand a fucking thing in the movie because they have to be spoon fed the plots.
>>
>>68846811
>Meh, I was looking forward to a direct sequel to Prometheus. I wanted the adventures of Shaw and David-Head :(

same
>>
>>68846145
She was fucking dreadful, you got to have likeable characters that people will care if they die.
In Prometheus people were doing left and right but we don't care , because we don't know them.
In Alien and Aliens each time someone dies you feel bad.
Even when Paul Riser bit the dust I felt bad, because he was such a good bad guy.

Prometheus has nothing of that, David is nowhere near likeable as Bishop was.
>>
>>68846145
>What are your thoughts as to what happened to Elizabeth Shaw, and why she will not make a return in Prometheus' sequel?

Ran out of food and water?
>>
Semi related.

Finally saw the Martian the other day. Ridley Scott has more references to Alien in the Martian than Prometheus. Really is giving me hope for the new alien film, I enjoyed the Martian quite a bit.
>>
>>68846872

no, not really, and fuck you for your pandering to shitty writers and studios that a focused on money as the principal objective since

if you're not going to establish a credible story line and try to maintain the tautology then anything goes and there is no skill in it

"let's play football with 14 guys on the field today"

or

"for Dune 2 lets put lasers in the sandworms' mouths... so cool"

and finally

fuck you, once again
>>
>>68846145
Considering she dropped out after the script was finalised and so probably took a hit in the wallet for pulling out of a contract, I'm guessing she fucking hated something in it.
>>
ANOTHER FUCKING FRANCHISE MOVIE

holy shit plebs

its alien 7
go back to bed amurica heres another alien movie your government is in control,,,,,,,, heres star wars 8 shut the fuck up and go back to bed.
>>
>>68846145
I feel bad. Elizabeth Shaw was so excited about travelling g to the engineer home world.

Also. How will they explain getting his body back?
He was literally a head in a bag when last seen.
>>
>>68846145
I think this is going to be Prometheus 2.5, to be honest.
I think it's just going to be another David 8 onboard the Covenant ship and that they're searching for the Prometheus.
>>
>>68847491
Top kek.

You must really be fighting the good fight against the government by calling out a film on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>68847602
thankx anon
>>
She died on the way to wherever David was guiding her.
>>
>>68847544
INSIDER HERE.

just finished draft number 4

ridley and his genius mind , came up with the idea of a " brown paper bag" to get around the shaw actress's absence.

dave drugs and mk ultra's shaw into a silent servant walking zombie.

the film is mostly a unknown actor wearing a brown paper bag over her head carrying robot head david around. the alien homeworld.

the brown paper bag is also like "kryptonite" to the aliens.
>>
>>68846717
>Aliens -> Alien 3
>muh space marines
>muh happy family

Aliens killed the Alien franchise before it even had the chance to become a franchise. The film ruined everything that made the alien creature from the original scary. Cameron took what was essentially an artistic and vaguely Lovecraftian concept, and turned it into shooty shooty explosions. Alien 3 was an attempt to return to what made the original so good, but it didn't work out because Cameron had already fucked everything up, and because parasitic Cameron fanboys didn't like that the film wasn't shooty shooty explosions.
>>
>>68846145
>What are your thoughts as to what happened to Elizabeth Shaw

I'm guessing grandpa Ridley literally just forgot who she and Noomi are
>>
DESU would rarther see Neill Blomkamp do his sequel to Aliens only problem is it would totally ignore 3 and 4 and i liked 3.

Covenant is Prometheus 2 really, prom already made a hash of an origin story.
>>
>>68848307

Blomkamp has literally made one half of a good movie and every project since is worse than the one before. I'll never understand in what universe he's not a complete hack. He's M Night a few years behind.
>>
>>68848307

You're going to get both. Just be patient.
>>
>>68847886
I like it anon.
more originality in this post than all of Hollywood.
>>
>>68848369

If the first movie called Alien bombs they're not gonna release another movie called Alien a year later
>>
File: noomi rapace.png (583 KB, 720x992) Image search: [Google]
noomi rapace.png
583 KB, 720x992
Noomi Rapace is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>68848369
His movie is not happening. They're testing the waters with Ridley's film, first, and that's going to bomb hard. At this point, the Alien franchise is a corpse being raped over and over.
>>
>>68848469
Until you see her shit-tier tits and vag.
>>
>>68848553
Her 10/10 face makes up for 5/10 body
>>
>>68848593
Only in Prometheus. IRL, she's hideous.
>>
File: full-noomi-rapace-43352538.jpg (173 KB, 936x1322) Image search: [Google]
full-noomi-rapace-43352538.jpg
173 KB, 936x1322
>>68848633
You're trolling
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 360x240
>>68848720
>>
Prometheus was forever ago. If they were going to make any kind of a meaningful sequel they'd have done it by now. Probably best not to think of this as a sequel.
>>
File: 1461501655665.jpg (155 KB, 900x659) Image search: [Google]
1461501655665.jpg
155 KB, 900x659
>>68848762
She looks really really good in a MILF-y way (she's 36)
I'd be very happy if my wife looked like that when she's 36
>>
File: 1423177825654.jpg (36 KB, 805x669) Image search: [Google]
1423177825654.jpg
36 KB, 805x669
>>68846811
It's not a meme. Prometheus is shit
>>
File: image.jpg (350 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350 KB, 2000x1000
>>68848802
>I have low standards
>therefore, the rest of the world should too
>>
>>68848116
this entire post is so wrong, I don't know where to begin
>>
>>68848870
Go find a 36 year old woman that looks better. She is definitely way above average.
>>
>>68848878
>doesn't engage with the post at all
>"you're totes wrong tho honest"

Precisely the lack of intellect I'd expect from an Aliens fan. Jim makes simple movies. They're enjoyable to watch with family over dinner. Nothing more.
>>
File: image.jpg (448 KB, 2048x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
448 KB, 2048x888
>>68848921
35 and literally wiping the floor with Noomi Rapeface.
>>
Shaw was a downright terrible character and in good running for one of the worst characters in the entire Alien franchise. I didn't think you could fuck up something as simple as "Scientist who believes in God" but I guess leave it to Damon Lindelof to take a shit all over it.

If Ridley is killing her off in the next movie that can only be a step in the right direction. David was the only thing worth saving.

>>68848948

Alien is as simple as it gets buddy. There are deeper levels to that film but it's still very surface, it can be enjoyed entirely as just a well-made slasher film.
>>
>>68847491
babby's first rebellion

you should become a situationalist next.
>>
>>68848878
aliens was on uk tv the other night started with a Cameron interview.

>said he turned ridleys horror movie into an action movie.

>also said he feels kinda lame about (aliens) after seeing what happened to his terminator franchise.
>>
>>68847297
Such as?
>>
So the engineers extrapolated humanity's future and found hfy becoming real and therefore wanted to kill their creation before it was too late? That dormant Engineer ripped the robot apart because he was terrified to see their predictions come true. Humanity had created something that looked similar and and more intelligent than current humans yet was just a tool controlled by them. This was just the beginning
>>
>>68849009
So shooty shooty explosions is deeper and more meaningful?
>>
>>68848948
fine, I'll bite.

>Aliens killed the Alien franchise before it even had the chance to become a franchise. The film ruined everything that made the alien creature from the original scary. Cameron took what was essentially an artistic and vaguely Lovecraftian concept, and turned it into shooty shooty explosions.

Taking the original source material and building on the universe is exactly what a good sequel does. Jimmy C knew that trying to replicate Scott's vision wouldn't work; mainly because it was so well realized. So he took the film in a direction that played to his strengths as a director. Sure, most of the film does away with the creepy atmosphere of the first film, but Aliens is a better film because of that choice

>Alien 3 was an attempt to return to what made the original so good, but it didn't work out because Cameron had already fucked everything up, and because parasitic Cameron fanboys didn't like that the film wasn't shooty shooty explosions.

Alien 3 failed because Fincher and the studio butted heads from the moment the cameras started rolling. It's widely know it was a very troubled production and Fincher has since disowned the film because of it. Blaming Cameron for Alien 3's failing is ludicrous and, despite my reply, a poor attempt at trolling.
>>
>>68849093
>Aliens is a better film
Wrong
>>
>>68849075

>clear Vietnam War allegory
>IT'S JUST EXPLOSIONS

Whatever.
>>
>>68849032
interesting anon.

care to add more to the discussion?

The theory that human behaviour is determined by surrounding circumstances rather than by personal qualities.
>>
>>68849074

The Engineer sperged because they put all this effort into creating humans and leaving them a map and when the humans finally get there it's a greedy as fuck twisted evil old man who mastered interstellar travel but is too self absorbed and egomaniacal to accept that humans die and his robot sidekick that is a mockery of the pain and labor of creation. The Engineer wants to kill us because we're fuckups.
>>
>>68846145
>I'm guessing David somehow blew her out of the goddamn airlock during their interstellar space travel.
She probably died unceremoniously from a massive infection.
>>
File: smug.jpg (172 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
172 KB, 1600x1066
>>68848469
Katherine is cuter and a better actress
>>
>>68848553
Pics?
>>
>>68849137
That's not what I meant bro. Tho I admit I phrased it poorly.

What I meant was, Cameron's choice to take Aliens in a different direction is the reason why it's good. If he had simply copied the first film and added in a few new characters and a new setting, it would have sucked.

Both Alien and Aliens are great, albeit for different reasons. And I actually prefer Alien, if I had to choose.

>>68849333
>what is google
>>
>>68849074
They were going to kill us a few thousand years ago due to an incident that happened on earth while they were they were visiting us, but there was an accident and their crew got Alien'd instead, one guy was in stasis while this happened and survived but there was nobody left to wake him up.

He ripped off David's head and beat Weyland to death with it because in a deleted scene Weyland had David translate to the engineer that he was deserving of immortality because he too was capable of creating life, presenting David as an example.

The engineer considered this a poor imitation of life and killed Weyland because of it.
>>
>>68846145
Not a Prometheus sequel, more like a money-grab.
>>
>>68849093
>most of the film does away with the creepy atmosphere of the first film
Personally I found Aliens to be creepier. The reason I think Alien > Aliens is mostly because of the characters and how they interact. In Alien it's a group of real people, acting and talking like actual people, exploring a new world and being hunted by an alien life form. In Aliens the characters are caricatures with cheesy one liners. There's a human villain that is absolute evil and an alien queen with a vendetta against our hero Ripley. This is what makes the movie feel so shallow compared to Alien.
>>
>>68849216
>robot sidekick that is a mockery of the pain and labor of creation
I felt that at first too. But why would they want to kill us thousands of years ago? Did they still consider earthlings fuck-ups because of all the wars being fought then?
Also it wasn't revealed what their plans for replacement specie was. Because that parasite alien was just for cleansing
>>
>>68849413
Okay that clears it up
>>
>>68849093
>Taking the original source material and building on the universe is exactly what a good sequel does. Jimmy C knew that trying to replicate Scott's vision wouldn't work; mainly because it was so well realized. So he took the film in a direction that played to his strengths as a director.

Rephrased:

Cameron knew that he couldn't even come close to making a film as good as the original, so he went with shooty shooty explosions instead – a safe bet, sure to please 99% of the American population.

>Sure, most of the film does away with the creepy atmosphere of the first film, but Aliens is a better film because of that choice

Proving my point above. You don't even try to explain why the film is better. You just automatically equate shooty shooty explosions with a good movie.

>Alien 3 failed because Fincher and the studio butted heads from the moment the cameras started rolling. It's widely know it was a very troubled production and Fincher has since disowned the film because of it.

Yes, this is partly true. Fincher did the best he could, but the production was micro-managed to a point where creativity was stifled. And the reason for this was because Cameron's shooty shooty explosion film made the suits a lot of money, and they wanted to make sure that they'd get the same again with Alien 3.

1/2
>>
>>68849093
>Blaming Cameron for Alien 3's failing is ludicrous and, despite my reply, a poor attempt at trolling.

Stop dismissing people who disagree with you as trolls. It's a simple way to avoid having to engage with another person's opinion.

Cameron is largely at fault. The main complaint everyone had with the movie is that it wasn't "Hicks, Ripley and Newt: Shooty Shooty Explosions". Cameron established those characters in Aliens because every action film needs some kind of camaraderie, but in doing so he set the tone of future films he'd have no involvement in. Fincher rightly killed off the stupid fucks because he didn't want to make a pleb buddy action film, and that made Aliens fans/Dark Horse comics continuity fans butthurt from the get-go.

2/2
>>
>>68846215
>beta cuck detected
>>
>>68849434
Eh, different goals and sensibilities. The characters and writing are what make the first film work though, I agree. They're all blue color workers just looking to make a buck and get home safe and are totally unprepared to deal with the alien threat.

And I think Cameron's writing for the sequel fits its tone well. The false bravado and one liners of the military peeps who, until this point, had not faced anything like a colony of xenos. And Burke being a pure evil ass is a nice callback to weyland yutani's disregard for its employees in the first film. And of course, big blockbusters require an easy villain to hate for the audience to latch on to.

Cameron took the action blockbuster formula and applied it to the alien universe. And I do think there's a bit more going on with Ripley than just shooty shooty. The idea of motherhood and what constitutes that, her PTSD from the nostromo incident and her eventual mastery of it. Not to mention a slew of endlessly quotable lines from the marines, which you have to admit are pretty fun.
>hey vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?
>no. have you?
>>
>>68849498
Say shooty shooty explosions again
>>
>>68849808
Shooty shooty explosions.
>>
>>68849498
>Cameron knew that he couldn't even come close to making a film as good as the original, so he went with shooty shooty explosions instead – a safe bet, sure to please 99% of the American population.

Your point? Shooty shooty explosions is what Cameron is really good at. And Aliens is one of the best action movies to come out of the 80s. Why are you bashing him for doing what he does best? Would you rather had him try to replicate Scott and fucked it up horribly?

>Proving my point above. You don't even try to explain why the film is better. You just automatically equate shooty shooty explosions with a good movie.

See >>68849370

>And the reason for this was because Cameron's shooty shooty explosion film made the suits a lot of money, and they wanted to make sure that they'd get the same again with Alien 3.

Cmon man, are you serious with this? Sure, the studio wanted to recapture Aliens magic but how is that Cameron's fault? You're basically angry at him for being too good at his job.

>>68849531
>Stop dismissing people who disagree with you as trolls. It's a simple way to avoid having to engage with another person's opinion.

Your opinion is so wrong I assumed you had to be trolling. My apologies.

>Cameron is largely at fault.

Cameron washed his hands of the franchise after Aliens. You can't hang the decision making of literally hundreds of people over several years on him alone. You could have taken the story of Newt/Hicks/Ripley literally anywhere. Hell, look up William Gibson's draft for Alien 3. He managed it just fine.
>>
alien
aliens
resurrection
death of weird alien in 4 is worst part of all four movies.
>>
>>68846643
I neve rreally noticed how much an alien's head looks like a dick until this pic
>>
>>68849531
Alien3 is crap on it's own and seriously -actually seriously - trying to argue that it's a good film and was a good move for the franchise - A F R A N C H I S E may I remind you, not a series of interconnected art movies - is delusion. You know this to be true. At some point the defending of the third Alien film enters ludicrous territory. Both cuts.
>>
>>68850952
any1 got a link to the story or script the alien3 director really wanted to make?
>>
Prometheus wasn't a mistake.
>>
>>68846811
This. It feels like Ridley is pussying out
>>
>>68850952
I liked it.

But it did it fit in the franchise? no

As a stand alone film possibly would have done okay but being linked to aliens franchise tarnished it and the franchise.
>>
>>68848821
The visual direction and sound design are too good to call the movie as a whole shit. The screenplay is shit, but the movie succeeds everywhere else, which is what makes it such a frustrating watch.
>>
Are we at the point yet where we can stop pretending that any of these movies are worth a shit other than Alien and Prometheus?

Aliens turned a real film into a quippy 80's memefest. It's fine enough for what it is but it's an unbelievable disservice to the orginal
>>
>shaw won't be returning
What
Then what the fuck was the point of Prometheus
>>
I just want to see a planet full of architecture based on Giger's art. Besides that, I don't really get the hate Prometheus gets on this board. Rewatched it yesterday, and it was pretty entertaining. And no, 'everybody acts like a retard' doesn't apply.
>>68850900
Look up HR Giger's art, it's not a coincidence. His art is full of biomechanical penises, vaginas, and penetration. And the facehugger literally rapes your face to impregnate your stomach.
>>
>>68846145
Dont care rather see Jennifer lawrence as Newt in Blomkamps Space hunger games tbhfam
>>
>>68853943

Anyone with a brain is well aware that Aliens is the aberration in the series.
>>
>>68848469
>>68848593
Agreed. Then again i've been strangely attracted to dyke looking women lately so that may be it.
>>
>>68849956
The point people are trying to make is that, whether or not Aliens is a good film, it's simply not a proper successor to Alien. Prometheus is the sequel/prequel/whatever that actually expands on all the themes and visual styles seen in Alien; simultaneously taking them in new directions and staying true to the spirit of the original. Aliens doesn't do any of this; it's just a remake of Them! with the giant ants swapped out for Giger monsters. It's a good movie, and not as deeply flawed as Prometheus, but the people arguing that it derailed the Alien franchise and caused said franchise to lose a lot of what made it interesting in favor of a myopic focus on the xenomorph(since the monster itself was the only meaningful thread of thematic continuity after that) are absolutely right
>>
>>68846145
>I'm guessing David somehow blew her out of the goddamn airlock during their interstellar space travel
Literal autistm.
>>
File: 8473685.jpg (607 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
8473685.jpg
607 KB, 1280x720
>>68856176
>JLaw
>not Juno
>>
File: 20150403_145008.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20150403_145008.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>68846811
This tbqh.

I was also hoping the baby xeno from the end of the movie would tag along.
>>
>>68849075
>shooty shooty explosions
This is your average alien 3 autist folks. I bet you think that the only problem with the film is they didn't use that retarded original script set on a fucking wooden spaceship with spacemonks. Alien and Aliens were among the greatest horror action movies of the 80s. Alien 3 was just a shitshow cashgrab that made the director not even want anything to do with it after it was released.
>>
>>68849434
>In Aliens the characters are caricatures with cheesy one liners.
The whole marine bravado one-liners at the beginning was part of the Vietnam war allegory. There is actually a decent amount of character development after the initial slaughter of most the squadron. Every character changes with the exception of Vasquez. Hicks learns to become a leader, the Lieutenant redeems himself after realizing he is a shit leader, Ripley becomes motherly and protective as fuck, and Hudson goes from being the most bravado of them all to being spooked as fuck.
>>
>>68849498
>>68849075
>>68848116
>shooty shooty explosions
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>68851025
That script was even more retarded. If Fincher made that everyone would be here, rightfully complaining about how a space station made of wood inhabited by spacemonks is a fucking stupid idea. Honestly they should have just left the series alone after Aliens. It had a good ending. Why does everything have to be a trilogy?
>>
File: 1455063607108.png (31 KB, 673x172) Image search: [Google]
1455063607108.png
31 KB, 673x172
>>68846811
>>68847544
>>68851327
the rumors going around is that fassbender was too gropey with noomi on the set of prometheus so she doesn't want to work with him again

and since david was the fan favorite character of that movie, it's pretty clear who was going to go
>>
>>68847319
wow, are you retarded?

Other guy: "It's not a book."
You: "for Dune 2 lets put lasers in the sandworms' mouths... so cool"
>>
>>68863697
Fassbender only fucks black chicks.
>>
File: 1458511848588.jpg (54 KB, 561x722) Image search: [Google]
1458511848588.jpg
54 KB, 561x722
>>68863697
how can he grope her when he is just a head?
>>
>>68848469
>Noomi Rapace is cute! CUTE!
Noomi Rapeface

> FTFY
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.