[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a question I've pondered for the last couple days
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: treeoflife.jpg (114 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
treeoflife.jpg
114 KB, 500x741
This is a question I've pondered for the last couple days and can not come to a reasonable conclusion. I saw both of these films and enjoyed them immensely, but sigh at the hate for The Tree of Life when compared to another genre-bending film, Cloud Atlas. Can someone perhaps answer why you believe on is viewed as ambitious art by the masses and the other pretentious trash?
>>
File: a-ok-spiderman.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
a-ok-spiderman.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
>>68842516
Well who's to say that The Tree of Life wasn't ambitious? A lot of people might see it as pretentious, self-indulgent slog, but I saw it as something infinitely more ambitious than anything that's been released in the past few years. It might be off-putting to most people given the fact that it relegates traditional cinematic conventions in lieu of something more experimental, but the fact that it's esoteric doesn't necessarily imply that it's pretentious. It retains a cohesive story and a simple one at that; it just happens to tell that story in a way most people are not accustomed to, and it gets hammered with accusations of pretention as a result.
>>
The Tree of Life is a genuine interesting film with a different narrative for story telling.

Cloud Atlas is utter shit with laughable makeup
>>
>>68842549
This.

It's quite simple. Tree of Life looks good, Cloud Atlas looks like a weird film school project that somehow got a large budget.
>>
>>68842516
anybody who likes tree of life is literally has the attention span of a sperg autist
>>
>>68842598
can you explain why you think that or are you just shitposting
>>
>>68842598
>attention span of sperg autist
>liking tree of life
surely you meant dislike?
>>
Tree of Life is hella comfy. Every shot in the film looks desktop wallpaper, the soundtrack is superb, it's just all round a work of art. Hardly pretentious.
>>
>>68842669
>>68842704

"[autists have]...Intense concentration or focus, especially on a preferred activity" (usually an obscure, niche subject)
>>
>>68842783
so the obscure, niche subject is terrence malick films?
>>
File: terrence.jpg (118 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
terrence.jpg
118 KB, 630x1200
>>68842783
>obscure
>tree of life
>>
>>68842801
>>68842805
pointless, vague, boring ass shit, yes.
>>
>>68842845
Do you actually try to understand cinema or do you just watch the latest movie where a man dresses up like a bat, go home, masturbate, and sleep?
>>
>>68842845
whereas Cloud Atlas is more your taste?
Says everything tbhwy
>>
>>68842876
>>68842877
Cloud Atlas I can't remember anything about which probably means it wasn't anything special or memorable or had any value. Tree of Life I remember just being pissed that someone actually thought that a bunch of nat geo footage with whispers on top was worthy of my time and money. I can appreciate a good message in a film but I don't think I should suffer for it.
>>
>>68842976
do you like any other Malick films?
>>
ToL is a visual masterpiece but it's nonsensical besides that. the story is a confused wreck that doesn't really say anything. it tries to be deep but there isn't much of a story actually going on
>>
>>68843059
Its really not nonsensical, it's a very simple story. Middle aged man remembers his youth, his loss of innocence and all that.
>>
>>68843304
half of the movie are casual regular life scenes or at the very least they are very vague scenes that are open to interpretation

there is barely any story structure
>>
>>68843444
hmm Im starting to think you haven't see a Malick film before.

Just get comfy and take in a different narrative. Go Watch The New World, I preferred this one.
>>
>>68843059
>doesn't really say anything
Oh, so you didn't get it
>>
>>68843059
dumb retard detected
>>
>>68843754
le didn't get it meme
>>
>>68843784
go watch some capeshit, retard
>>
>>68843784
Well it's the case here given that the film clearly had a point of view, message, theme, and narrative.
>>
>>68843784
>le didnt get it meme
you mean the one you're pulling now, by pretending to not get it?
>>
>>68843812
>>68843810
>>68843804
Let's for a second say that there is some amazingly complex theme here that upon 'getting' should make the film more sensical.

Does the experience hold no value? does the fact that it's boring as fuck cancel out because a message was delivered? who's to say the message is of any value anyway?
>>
>>68843889
its only boring to you because you dont have the attention span to watch anything other than quippy action movies.
>>
>>68843889
Actually, you're right. The themes, which are there, weren't clear to me the first time I saw the film. Yet I still loved it because the beautiful images and vignettes were able to elicit an emotional response from me. So no, even if I were to tell you what the film is about, you're not going to like it anymore than you already did.
>>
I miss Malickposting and hearing about all the crazy stories about Malick
>>68843920
This desu.
Even I found it challenging, it must blow the minds of average plebs.
>>
>>68844012
>Agrees with a post that uses a completely an argument based on nothing to prove someone's 'incompetent'
Then uses
>Even I
Presumably attesting to being superior in intellect
>>
>>68843889
>Does the experience hold value
That's entirely dependent on the individual watching, but clearly it did for a lot of people as evidenced by this thread. You may not have taken anything from the film but to tell everyone that did that their experience and the message the took from it is worthless is idiotic.
>>
File: Malick Dance.webm (919 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Malick Dance.webm
919 KB, 640x360
What would you say to him if you see him in public?
>>
>>68844908
feels like hes the most normie person going but has to let out his inner autist and make films
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.