[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, just watched this for the first time. Am I crazy in thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
So, just watched this for the first time. Am I crazy in thinking it's better than Django, and on par with Inglourious Basterds?

It was definitely less stylized than Django and consequently felt more mature, and though it is long and there's lots of build up the conclusion was completely satisfying for me. Also, I enjoyed the actors (especially Kurt Russell) and the score/visuals so much that the long build up was still enjoyable, just taxing.

What's /tv/ say?
>>
You TRY to watch it again then tell me its better than Django or Inglorious. Its boring and way too long.
>>
>>68795143
I FUCKING KNEW IT
>>
it really is, but thats not hard
>>
I thought it was plodding and I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. The payoff wasn't worth it either.
>>
>>68795297
Django's not bad, but the last act of Hateful Eight carried a dramatic weight that's just totally lacking in Django

I mean, I feel like the conclusion totally justified the length of the film right now

My one criticism is that Daisy's villainous character could've been more clearly established. She doesn't really seem terrible until she watches her brother die and still tries to strike a deal. More should've been done to paint her as the clear villain, although I know QT was trying to use the violence against her earlier in the film to shock viewers and slowly make them switch sides.
>>
>>68795363
So the first hour before they get to the cabin isn't boring? Tarantino wasted 70mm on this film. Imagine if he used it for Django. He rarely even used nature shoots and when he did it didn't have any meaning what so ever. Tarantino can't shoot for shit. Great writer and direction for actors but not cinematography.
>>
>>68795143
I went in to see this with a huge hate boner, but I really liked the movie. Without Morricone's solid score, i am sure QT would have fucked up the soundtrack, but the script was good and not at all cringeworthy like I expected. The characters and casting were all great. I think it's one of Tarantino's best movies, I'm shocked to say that because after Django I fucking hated his fat guts.
>>
>>68795143
>The part where OT narrates

It's not even a bad concept, and actually fits the pace of the film IMO, but his own voice is so terrible for narration. It kinda pulled me out of the film.
>>
It's way better than Django, which is by far and away QT's worst, and I'd put it close to Basterds. Richardson's cinematography is GORGEOUS, (pay no mind to the plebs who say the Panavision format is wasted here, QT/Richardson are channelling Carpenter/Cundey compositionally here, and it's great) Morricone's score is one of the best in his career and QT managed to make an entertaining, thematically weighty script that manages to be self-indulgent without being obnoxious. (Except for the narration, that was obnoxious.) That's not even mentioning the cast, who don't have a single weak link among them. I'm not normally a huge QT fan, but he was batting for the fences here.
>>
It's by and far his best movie since his first 3. I've only seen it once, so I'm not sure how it stands up to rewatches compared to Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction, but it's certainly better than everything since.
>>
Arguably his worst movie. Everything about it fell flat and having to resort to a non linear story at one point was one of the laziest and worst things he's ever done in his films.

The cinematography absolutely does not save this movie from having uninteresting characters and plot, weak Tarantino staples, uneccesary length, and a misplaced sense of self satisfaction.

It was everything that Tarantino does, done wrong. An absolute grind to get through the final act.
>>
>>68795143
ITS ONLY BETTER THAN DJANGO IN THAT IT WASN'T A COMPLETE KILL WHITEY FANTASY

ITS A BLACK MALE THING
>>
File: get_fucked_nick.gif (2 MB, 272x204) Image search: [Google]
get_fucked_nick.gif
2 MB, 272x204
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 1
Jackie Brown
Django
Inglorious Bastards
Death Proof
Kill Bill 2
Hateful Eight
>>
>>68797171
Pulp Fiction > Inglourious Basterds > Hateful Eight > Jackie Brown >>> Kill Bill 2 > Kill Bill 1 > Death Proof > Resevoir Dogs >>>>>>>>> Django
>>
I only watch the first half or so of H8ful 8, then when it become a who-done-it-everyone-dies-piece-of-shit, I turn it off.
>>
I think its Tarantino's best.
Then again, I am not a fan of his.
>>
Exactly how I ranked it op
>>
Stupid movie, it seems like he started writing something with no end and didn't know how to end it and figured "well, he dun it lol"

Once that comes into play the entire first half of the movie is moot and even besides that; the scenes were the bad guys were doing the set up were way more interesting than the carriage ride

Fucking hell m8, the movie could have been an hour shorter, literally, and nothing of value would be lost
>>
I kind of liked it, Quentin at least seems to be willing to try new things now. 70 MM felt wasted, (yes I know quentin would say it's about intimacy not epicness) but if anything the film's budget hindered it. JJL was fucking phenomenal and absolutely stole the show, she really deserved the oscar. A lot of the shots were interesting as well, although kind of tiring - I don't know the proper technical term for it, but the rapid focus in and out from foreground to background to foreground again worked sometimes but not often. The scene with JJl playing guitar was excellent, but Quentin needs to work on his tracking shots. The lighting seemed kind of strange as well, ie the insane amounts of blue in the haberdashery. Really more than anything else, this film just showed that Quentin is not very gifted on a technical level
>>
The whole movie is a massive plot hole shot inside a cabin in 70mm. So yeah it's terrible.
>>
File: squibs.png (302 KB, 636x310) Image search: [Google]
squibs.png
302 KB, 636x310
>>68795143
hateful 8 and django are pretty weak movies and overall not very good
i feel like tarantino's losing his touch and is just repeating himself
inglorious bastards was his last good movie
>>
Absolutely shit.

"The hateful eight"

(actually there's 9 of them, they're really not that hateful or interesting, oh wait now there's 10 of them)
>>
>>68795143
Definitely my second favorite Tarantino movie after IB. I don't get how so many people weren't feeling it.
>>
>>68797605
What plot hole?
>>
>>68795143
Of course it is. Django is garbage
>>
>>68796872
Exactly
>>
>>68797171
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Django
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Death Proof
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
>>
It's a Foucault-styled treatise for the Film Director by the Film Director. What's not to love?
>>
>tfw /tv/ would have loved it if it didnt have the black black dingus scene
>>
Anyone else notice how fluid the camera movements were? Way different than the usual static shots QT loves. He seemed a lot more adventurous cinematographically in this one
>>
I agree OP. Great acting and well directed, leagues ahead of the films you mentioned.

Django unchained for want of a better word, cuck tier. It played the white guilt fiddle way too hard.

Inglorious bastards was good. The way it humanized the nazis while making the audience love this 'bear jew' character was clever.
>>
>>68797571
Most of the technical things you mentioned were QT consciously cribbing The Thing, which was a huge visual influence on the movie, especially the second half. I disagree that any of it was poorly executed, though, I thought this was one of his most visually ambitious and interesting movies.
>>
jackie brown
reservoir dogs
kill bill 1
inglourious basterds
pulp fiction
kill bill 2
death proof
the hateful eight
django unchained
>>
>>68795297
>typical ADD generation Redditor
>>
>>68795143
I tried getting through it twice and turned it off both times.

>le shut the door! You need 2 pieces of wood! Nail it le shut le quirky dialogue xD
>beat up the woman! Le shock value anyone?!? This is a Quentin movie after all ;^)

I didn't even make it to the big black dingus part, can't imagine how terrible that is as well
>>
File: Bugs.jpg (14 KB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
Bugs.jpg
14 KB, 300x195
>>68796872
>>68796975

Who do I believe?!
>>
>>68800009

If it wasnt for that scene the word "Cuck" would have never found its way into /tv/'s daily vernacular.

/tv/ LOVES this movie for that scene.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.