[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you watch foreign-language movies, do you prefer dubs or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14
File: Italian Haircut Girl.webm (3 MB, 478x360) Image search: [Google]
Italian Haircut Girl.webm
3 MB, 478x360
When you watch foreign-language movies, do you prefer dubs or subtitles? Why?
Is your choice still the same if the movie is animated?
>>
File: 1461618901922.jpg (207 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1461618901922.jpg
207 KB, 960x960
subs for normal movies , unless its for some reason an amazing dub (which dont exist ).

as for taiwanease basket weaving its dubs if there's actual good voiceacting and subs otherwise .

i guess its wierd to voice over actual characters speaking while animation is already sort of dubbed .
>>
I prefer watching movies in their original language, however I don't really care all too much about it.

Animation is different though since the acting and performance rests all in the voice, and dubbers rarely put any effort into it.
>>
dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShddrwKUeew
>>
>>68785615
Dubs if languages are not part of the plot and everything happens in the characters native language (and thus should be the case for me too)

Subs if different languages are part of the plot (aka some dude in a foreign country for whatever reasons with languages switching from times to times)
>>
Dubs for cartoons
Subs for movies

The best thing about watching a foreign movie with subs is that it's much harder to tell when the acting is bad (unless it's REALLY bad), because you dont know all the mannerisms and behaviors common to native speakers of that language
>>
>>68785615

God, I want someone to play with my hair now.

I prefer subtitles for live action foreign films. Usually if its a drama, romance or action. If its comedy I usually don't bother with either because either dubs or subs won't be able to capture the comedy as well.

Animations I'll usually depends on which I listen to first. For example, I watched Yu Yu Hakusho the dub first but later on tried to listen to the subs and I couldn't. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! I watched subs, and couldn't watch the dub.
>>
I'll bet you fucking plebs watch your movies dubbed, don't you?
>>
>>68785615
what a gorgeous creature
>>
Subtitles.

Dubs are always shit and honestly ruin the quality of a film with cringeworthy voice over actors.
>>
Live action always subs, it looks too weird seeing their mouths moving with something completely different then what they're saying coming out. Anime I just watch dubbed, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>68785615
It's case-by-case. Movie I generally never watch dubs because usually they aren't good at all. Subs only for foreign movies and most anime.

I watch dubs when they're decent and I don't really feel like it affects the dialogue or the plot. The only dub I can say is objectively better than the original language is Cowboy Bebop since it fits so well.
>>
>>68785615
Subs, but only because dubs always fucking suck. If they could do a good job for once I might be interested. I hate subtitles normally and I always end up just reading the movie and losing 1/4th of the film to my peripheral vision when they are present
>>
>>68785615
puro sexo
>>
Subtitles.
>>
>>68786378
Unless they're old godzilla movies. They don't feel right without a terribly synced lazy dub.
>>
Subs. Dubs are for small minded children. If you can't read along and understand as the film plays then you are actually retarded. See a doctor.
>>
99.9% of the time Subs

But fuck me, I'm so glad I saw the dubbed version of this, one of the best times I've ever had watching a film
>>
>>68785615
Subs because more often than not the director didn't direct the dubbed voice acting.
>>
File: the-lost-bladesman-2011-27.jpg (137 KB, 500x696) Image search: [Google]
the-lost-bladesman-2011-27.jpg
137 KB, 500x696
>tfw watching a chinese movie dubbed in hindi with english subtitles
>>
If you prefer dubs you're German or 7 years old.
>>
is there even a single *good* English dub of a foreign movie? I don't mean funny, I mean good
>>
>>68785615

I always prefer subs because I want to hear the original lines as performed by the actors and as intended to be heard by the director, even if I don't understand the exact words without reading the subs.
>>
I guess the answers vary depending of countries

Some countries are culturally cucked to the extreme and won't produce any dub (Scandinavia, Netherlands...)
Combined with the crushing US hegemony over entertainment, it results in English being more spoken on their national TV than their own language

Some countries have dub version but very lazy ones so most people watch dubs (Spain)

Some countries have literal voice overs, with on voice making all characters and the original voices heard in the bg (Slav countries

And then you have countries with an actual dub industry and which thus produce dcent enough dubs for everyone in the country but hardcore hipsters to watch them (Germany, France, Italy)
>>
localized
if it's not in English, it's not worth watching
>>
>>68786878

Movies can be localized with subs or dubs, though. Localization is merely the process of translating and importing media.
>>
>>68785615
subtitles always
>>
Dubs if you're American
Subtitles for most other normal people
>>
File: Miriam snow.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Miriam snow.webm
3 MB, 854x480
south italian qts thread?
>>
File: spirted away .jpg (139 KB, 563x792) Image search: [Google]
spirted away .jpg
139 KB, 563x792
>>68785615

subs for most movies unless it's animated and the dub is good like pic related
>>
>>68786984
Miriam is a miracle of the universe.
>>
>>68785615

Back to >>>/wsg/
>>
I'd hate to be a non-English speaker living in one of those countries that plays obnoxiously bad dubs in the theaters

>>68786719
where was this?

>>68786875
>Some countries have literal voice overs, with on voice making all characters and the original voices heard in the bg (Slav countries
This is fucking awful, I can't understand how people can watch that shit
>>
File: Miriam Sguardo.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Miriam Sguardo.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>68787007
indeed she is
>>
Are Italians even white?
>>
>>68787089

She looks personality-less and dead inside.
>>
>>68785615
subtitles, because its the real shit
animated movies/series, I Iike to check both
>>
File: Miriam sguardo 2.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Miriam sguardo 2.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>68786984
>>
>not watching movies in your native language with a foreign language dub on with subtitles in another language
Its like if Rosetta stone worked.
>>
>>68787133
You know the term describing "white people" existed way before the english language was a thing?
It used to represent mediterranean cultures, such as greeks and romans, different from the barbaric tribes and their pink, untannable pigskins, different from the fucking slavs and the damn celts.
If there's anyone that's not white those are the non mediterranean descent people.
>>
File: Miriam_Prinzessin.webm (3 MB, 450x252) Image search: [Google]
Miriam_Prinzessin.webm
3 MB, 450x252
>>68787134
no she is super cute
>>
>>68787134

Hahahahaha tha´s true.

She has dead eyes.
>>
I always change the language to a foreign language. I don't listen to anything in a language I understand. This reduces all language to the way sounds are made and makes cinema pure.
>>
File: Filmato3.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Filmato3.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>68787154

>>68787287
"no"
>>
Subs is the only right answer
Unless youre watching cartoons, then it doesnt matter. Even then animoo is still better subbed
>>
File: Miriam Sguardo 4.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Miriam Sguardo 4.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>68787374
>>
>>68787374

Dead Inside

WAKEMEUPINSIDE.JPG
>>
>>68787436

WAKE ME UP.webm
>>
File: 1442361851952[1].png (61 KB, 319x211) Image search: [Google]
1442361851952[1].png
61 KB, 319x211
I always prefer dubs senpai
>>
File: Bina.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Bina.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>68787478
>trying this hard
how about this other south italian qt?
>>
File: third degree girl.png (161 KB, 300x333) Image search: [Google]
third degree girl.png
161 KB, 300x333
>>
>>68789030
lmao
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.