[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys know any ethereal and dreamlike fantasy films like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 1023x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 1023x1000
Do you guys know any ethereal and dreamlike fantasy films like Time Bandits, Exclaibur, and Legend?
>>
>>68768500
yes, yes i do

it's like directors in the eighties used to base scripts on their weekly role playing campaigns
>>
>>68768713
Well, what are they? Please do not mention Conan the Barbarian, as a beta male misogynist even the slightest hint of masculinity causes me to scream and rage.
>>
pans labyrinth
neverending story
labyrinth
>>
princess bride
>>
File: streets-of-fire-2.jpg (24 KB, 513x297) Image search: [Google]
streets-of-fire-2.jpg
24 KB, 513x297
dark crystal
willow
and streets of fire, which is not fantasy or dreamlike, but very much feels like a random party on a one shot adventure.
>>
>>68768500
You'll never find anything quite like the director's cut of legend.

>dark but Disney-esque Hjortsberg story
>Ridley Scott
>Alex Thomson's photography
>beautiful production design
>Tim Curry
>god-tier score by Jerry Goldsmith

Greatest fantasy film ever made IMO
>>
Is Ladyhawke any good? I remember trying to watch it years ago when I was still a huge pleb and getting bored with it
>>
>>68768500
Labyrinth, Willow
>>
File: ladyhawke_1985_07_g.jpg (171 KB, 1200x785) Image search: [Google]
ladyhawke_1985_07_g.jpg
171 KB, 1200x785
>>68770109
Ladyhawke is a lot of fun, actually. It's got everything: Knights, battles, sorcery, romance, and a nice swordfight for the finale. Rutger Hauer is a total badass as the protagonist.
>>
>>68771053
Hmm, I'm sold. Commencing download
>>
>>68771206
Sweet, you won't be disappointed. The costuming and soundtrack are pretty 80's, but that just adds to the charm IMO.
>>
>>68771295
I think Ladyhawke is well worth seeing, but it isn't a particularly good movie. It's more of a neat selection of images, contexts and scenes.

>>68771206
Watch also other Hauer's movies like Blood of Heroes and especially Flesh and Blood.
>>
City of Lost Children
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey
>>
File: Frazetta.jpg (53 KB, 350x443) Image search: [Google]
Frazetta.jpg
53 KB, 350x443
>>68768713

Beastmaster
BeastMaster II
Deathstalker
Deathstalker II
The Warrior & The Sorceress
Barbarian Queen
Hawk The Slayer
Red Sonja
Sorceress
The Barbarians
Yor, The Hunter From The Future

shall I go on?

Dude, T&A-laden sword & sorcery grindhouse movies were this was a whole genre in the 80s
>>
>>68770109
Ladyhawke is awesome
>>
File: OdysseyAssante.jpg (31 KB, 295x400) Image search: [Google]
OdysseyAssante.jpg
31 KB, 295x400
>>68768500
The TV mini-series of The Odyssey with Armand Assante is breddy goob. Really cool creature effects and beautiful scenery. Their depictions of Scylla and Charybdis in particular are great.

Some other fun fantasy TV mini-series would probably be Merlin (1998, stars Sam Neill), The Mists of Avalon, Gulliver's Travels, and Jason and the Argonauts (2000). They're all flawed, but strangely watchable.

Additionally, you can't go wrong with the classic Swords & Sandals movies, such as Jason and the Argonauts (1963) or Clash of the Titans (1981).
>>
File: jack_nicholson_oh_yes.gif (4 MB, 337x263) Image search: [Google]
jack_nicholson_oh_yes.gif
4 MB, 337x263
>>68772005
>Roger Corman sword-and-sorcery
>>
Mia Sara is prime waifu material
>>
File: 1420580745442.webm (2 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
1420580745442.webm
2 MB, 720x400
>>68772005
I miss that era of schlocky 80's Conan ripoffs that capitalized on the boom of VHS

In the end though, only Excalibur and Conan still stand supreme against the test of time
>>
The New World
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.