[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is every King of the Hill episode basically >Strawman comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 0AnFGUN.jpg (41 KB, 497x410) Image search: [Google]
0AnFGUN.jpg
41 KB, 497x410
Is every King of the Hill episode basically

>Strawman comes onto the show
>Hank is a good boy, he dindu nuffin - he just wanted to mow his lawn. He was getting his propane career back on track!
>Strawman is defeated in some way by Hank's old fashioned ways

Or am I missing something?
>>
>>68703911
Sometimes, nothing happens at all.
>>
>>68703911
Yes.
>>
>>68703911
That was the basic formula for the first couple seasons and it still cropped up now and then.

The show didn't really hit its stride until they started focusing on the supporting characters like Bill and Dale.
>>
>>68703911
Yes
>>
>>68703911
it's called southwestern humor, and no surprisingly every episode isn't even about the main character
>>
>>68703911
Pretty much, yes.
>>
>>68703911
Yes
>>
you're not using the term strawman correctly by the way.
>>
what about the sex ed episode, that came off pretty progressive.
>>
>>68703911
>am I missing something
Yes, a brain.

Most of the episodes have a pretty nuanced treatment of whatever subject they concern. In some, the conservative is right, in others the liberal is right, and in others still, the liberal-conservative dichotomy is shown to miss the point.

In many episodes Hank realizes that his old fashioned values aren't good values and shows signs of changing them.
>>
There were a few episodes where Hank had to compromise.
The first that comes to mind is the one where he threw his back out, and had to take yoga.
At the end, he was teaching it to his friends, though he didn't care for some of the names of the poses.
>>
>>68703911
sometimes hank is the "strawman"
sometimes dolphin rape
>>
just off the top of my head I can think of the episode when Bill finds out his extended family is all (except one weird half-cousin) dead, or the one where Peggy opens a gun/bookstore

Of course what you said did happen, but certainly not always. But to a certain extent, it will always be true that
>Strawman is defeated in some way by Hank's old fashioned ways

Mike Judge is a pretty conservative guy, not just by Hollywood standards but in general. Of course the show is going to have traditional values triumph over progressivism.
>>
File: hank-hill-pimp.jpg (55 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
hank-hill-pimp.jpg
55 KB, 750x600
>>68703911
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>68703911

Let's just look at Season 1 to see how wrong you are.

1. Pilot
Hank learns to be less short with Bobby and more open with his feelings.

2. Square Peg
Hank supports Peggy's relatively progressive desire to teach the sex ed class in the end.

3. Order of the Straight Arrow
Hank realizes that a cherished right of passage tradition was bullshit and bad parenting.

4. Hank's got the Willies
Hank realizes that he's been a chauvinist and tries to make up for it by being more affectionate toward Peggy

5. Luanne's Saga
Hank embraces his feminine side and bonds with Luanne

6. Hank's Unmentionable Problem
Hank moves past traditional conservative shyness about medical problems for the sake of his health.

Should I go on?
>>
>>68704618
Literally the first episode featured a strawman
>>
>>68703911
>he just wanted to mow his lawn. He was getting his propane career back on track!
It was always on track dangit.
>>
>>68704732
Except when Buck fired him
>>
>>68704690
You missed the point mate.
The social services guy was literally a limp-wristed liberal for comedic/story telling purposes, but the idea of social services in general is redeemed by his employer who criticizes the strawman for not getting in touch with the community regarding the case.

The point is that Hank is actually seldom shown to be unqualifiedly right from the beginning.
>>
I gotta say, in an era where most networks seem rather afraid of offending anyone, I admire how candid KOTH was when it came to the topic of religion. I can think of three different episodes just from memory that were almost exclusively about it.
>>
>>68703911
DESU senpai-o-lee the only bad KOTH episodes are the ones focusing on Peggy fucking up and Hank having to save the day. The rest of the show is pretty top tier IMO
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.