[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12
File: Jigsaw.png (549 KB, 1024x513) Image search: [Google]
Jigsaw.png
549 KB, 1024x513
>>
He was gay
>>
>>68679457
>>>/film/
>>
>>68679525
the fuck are you talking about

anyways, the answer is: yes he was. No edge
>>
>>68679555
The first 3 Saw films were films. The rest were flicks. Not like that's a bad thing. Mark Hoffman for life.
>>
>>68679781
>Saw 3 is good

please reconsider your opinions, my man.
>>
Tobin Bell was the best casting choice in the history of films in general. The way he talks alone is enough to send a shiver down your spine.
>>
1 > 6 > 5 > 7 > 4 = 3 > 2

He was wrong but also the only reason to watch the movies
>>
>>68679908
Every movie was good in their own right, some obviously lacking more than others, but they are still all good for a nice time of watching gore fly.
Like I said, they are more like flicks after 3, which is not bad.

>Those fucking twists every time.
>>
7 fuckin sucked ass af
>>
>>68680010
This.
Tobin Bell is such a glorious actor. He brought Saw to life, to the point where the writers actually let him do whatever the fuck he wanted with his character.
>>
File: Capture.png (334 KB, 552x450) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
334 KB, 552x450
>>68680123
>2 being the worst
>6 being that high
>>
>>68680197
Hoffman's final revenge on Jill made up for everything in that movie.
>>
Which trap would be your worst nightmare?
>>
File: The_Flamable_Jelly.jpg (24 KB, 423x320) Image search: [Google]
The_Flamable_Jelly.jpg
24 KB, 423x320
>traps random degenerate assholes in elaborate games that force their hand into testing their conviction towards self-preservation (or general self-betterment)
>more than half of them relied on basically luck given how narrow the time limits were and the victims died regardless of their will to live
Fucking how was this faggot supposed to make it out alive? Or the guy in the razor wire maze? No amount of "will to live" can help someone power through getting ripped to shreds, or make somebody better at deciphering some puzzle on the spot with a chainsaw strapped to their dick.
>>
>>68680347
Needle pit in SAW 2 was the only one in the whole series to make me look away in cringe/phantom pain. So probably that.
>>
>>68680476
You were supposed to make haste but don't rush through every test. That was a central theme to the traps.
>>
Saw V is kino, only patricians will understand. Has a comfy as fuck noir vibe to it.
>>
>>68680488
Oh God I remember that. That was fucking awful to watch.
>>
>>68680531
>haste
>central
>theme
Look ma! If I use big obscure words that no one understands people will assume my random string of words make sense and will side with my argument!
>>
the first saw was a shit movie. don't plan on ever watching the rest.
>>
>>68680347
Key in the eyeball and >>68680488

The first 2 movies were so based
>>
File: Tugging at the hook.jpg (332 KB, 2048x1363) Image search: [Google]
Tugging at the hook.jpg
332 KB, 2048x1363
Best trap coming through.
>>
>>68680476
I think what really pissed me off was the reasoning for them even being trapped got more and more stupid through out the films.
>I want to play a game. In 5th grade you didn't let poor Susie borrow your extra pencil, for this you must learn a lesson. You will have to stick 10 pencils up your asshole and 1 in each eye while hopping on one foot out the door to freedom. You are also chained to this LEAD chair with spikes that will penetrate your body if you don't escape in 10.5 seconds. Begin
>>
>>68680347

conversely, what was the easiest trap?
>>
>>68680347
This >>68680689
>>
Saw > VI > II > III > IV > V > 3D
>>
>>68680591
You must be a retard if you think those 3 words are obscure. Like straight up uneducated.
>>
>>68680197

This senpai.

>pink blood
>traps that look cool but otherwise make no sense in the storyline
>forced Tobin flashback for 2 minutes
>absolutely horrible acting by Jill and the cop
>Dr.Gordon asspull just for the fanservice
>Hoffman isn't a character anymore, just a slasher killer
>>
File: 1460958007270.png (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460958007270.png
65 KB, 640x480
>>68680591
Idgaf if this is bait, you must legitimately be a tard to type that anywhere for any purpose.
>>
>>68680714
The first one
>>
>>68680714
The easiest trap was ironically the first Reverse Bear Trap. Everyone who was trapped in it survived except for Jill who was given no means of escape.
>>
>>68680591
Is this really how /tv/ is?
>>
>>68680978
Hoffman was always based and metal af, ESPECIALLY in Saw VI.
>>
>>68680253
6 was one if the best ones. It cut straight to the point and have the audience gory traps that everyone watches these movies for.

Also Hoffman going Hotline Miami and those 3 cops in the audio room and surviving the inescapable Reverse Bear Trap 2.0 shows that he is metal af and the best Saw character.
>>
>>68681544
>hoffman metal af
Lol, yeah right. He got destroyed by a one legged cripple.
>>
>>68681607
Yeah except that he was caught unexpectedly while also against 2 other guys. Gordon had a prosthetic leg since the end of Saw 1 so Idk wtf your point is.
>>
>>68681995
He's just retarded, don't listen to him.

Hoffman was indeed a fucking badass.
>>
>>68680714
the one where the guy had to hook his pecs and climb his way up a chain. He could have just stood on the hooks and pulled his way up with no sacrifice or pain at all
>>
>>68682167
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.
>>
>>68682146
Jigsaw kept saying that Hoffman was a murderer who made the traps just for his own pleasure, but it is like they kept forgetting his traps in Saw 1 never required death. They literally all did.
>>
>>68681445

>that part where he fucks up 3 people so fast he'd make Jack Bauer proud

They should've let him get away in Saw 3D. But I guess since he's just stuck in the bathroom they could do anything they want with his character if there's another sequel eventually.
>>
>>68683029
Hoffman is the type of nigga that would fucking BITE his goddamn bone off to survive. I'm sure that if a sequel is made, Hoffman would be retconned to survive, perhaps by someone rescuing him.
>>
File: saw discount marky mark.png (808 KB, 1290x726) Image search: [Google]
saw discount marky mark.png
808 KB, 1290x726
ITT: people who didn't have to die
>>
This is like walking dead made movies, just shock value everywhere.
>>
>>68683370
Saw is about the suspense. You are hyped to see someone survive or not, and if they don't, it heart clenching to watch them slowly die. Win win for the viewers.

also
>them twists
>>
>>68679457
He is literally the biggest hypocrite in cinema history.

You just ponder over this because of Tobin Bell' amazing acting.
>>
>In Saw 1, Adam lost the key to his chain because it was in the bath with him and it was set to drain as soon as he woke up
What kind of lesson was that meant to teach? Being more mindful of his surroundings my ass
>>
File: themomenthisheartbroke.jpg (40 KB, 479x346) Image search: [Google]
themomenthisheartbroke.jpg
40 KB, 479x346
>>68683785
It was supposed to show how Adam fucked up, if you look at his face when Jigsaw tells him it was in the bathtub, you can pinpoint the exact moment he knew he done goofed.

That's how I interpret it anyway. I honestly have no idea.
>>
>>68680347

The Rack

>can't do anything
>extremities twist around completely until
>beta white boi has to save you
>>
>>68680591

worst post of the year
>>
>>68684255

It wasn't suppose to go down the drain. Jigsaw fucked up.
>>
>>68684511
It was mean to be tied around his neck or some shit, so he'd actually have a chance at getting it, but Amanda was the one who set up it up and she was a psycho. Which makes you wonder why he never seemed bothered that his trap was rigged from the start
>>
>>68680347
The one where you have to split your arm in two halfs
>>
>>68680476
He was just a psychopath with a twisted philosohpy in the first movie. It wasn't until afterwards as the series went along that they tried to make him some kind of anti-hero with the whole "I'm no murdere" bullshit. He obviously tried to straight up murder Danny Glover when he cut his throat in the first one
>>
>>68684578
I forgot, why did Amanda make her traps impossible to escape? And why did John want to test Mark when his tests were just as fair as his own?
>>
>I'm going to trap people in these traps because they did bad things!

>Traps some guy because he smoked cigarettes.
>Trapped the janitor from the first movie for being nice to him.
>Trapped police officers, killing them for trying to bring him in.
>etc etc etc.
>>
>>68679457
>>68684873
You were never supposed to be convinced that he was right. Saw is a tale of a madman who believes in his philosophy, and how he manipulates many people to help him. And it gets more and more intense and in depth as the series progresses. Holy hell I love this saga.
>>
>>68684883
Whannell, the writer articulated it quite well on the commentary track. Something about she had typical upbringing of being abused by her father, she resorted to self cutting to relieve her anger. Then when she entered Jigsaw's legacy she used murdering people with the traps as a way to channel her anger. I'm just paraphrasing what little I remember from the track I heard years and years ago, but there's a lot more to it than that. He did a good job of explaining why it would frustrate her seeing a victim survive.
>>
>>68684970
Cancer is some crazy shit.
>>
The Saw movies are based as fuck. The definition of fun. Never had a horror series so tightly intertwined as it was, I know the story got really convoluted by that was part of the charm. The writers dedication to keeping the continuity going is admirable.
>>
>>68684883
>I forgot, why did Amanda make her traps impossible to escape?
She doesn't think people can learn from the tests

>>68685103
>The writers dedication to keeping the continuity going is admirable.
I just wish they'd plan it a bit more so bringing people back to life isn't so asspully
>>
>>68685103

I wish more horror movies had soapy shit instead of typical drama and dumb people dying. What would a Jason or Freddy movie look like with long interwoven storylines and twists? Shit is fun as fuck.
>>
>>68685192
>She doesn't think people can learn from the tests
But she claimed that Jigsaw helped her in the first movie.
>>
>>68685251
>i never saw / understood the entire point of the third movie: the post
This is fucking Saw, this isn't some 2deep4u Terrance Mallick trash, how the fuck can the point of the third movie go so over your head?
>>
>>68680714
The one where the guy had to burn his sons toys in order to save that lawyer from drowning, the guy lives in the trap regardless and in order to save the lawyer, no physical harm was required, emotional harm maybe, but I'd rather that than having to hack my own arm off.

Worst trap would be the meat scales one.
>>
FUCKING
NIGGER
HAD
>>68683295
KILLED
>>
>>68684883
Amanda didn't understand what Jigsaw was trying to do (rehabilitate). She just saw it as murder and assumed you didn't have to include an escape clause

All memes aside, I absolutely love the Saw series. It's one of the only horror films that have a understandable and, dare I say it, relatable villain. Even if you didn't agree with Jigsaws means, you could agree with his ends.

And then they contrast his philosophy well with Amanda,the moron, who couldn't fathom what Jigsaw was doing and Hoffman who is just a sadistic monster

If they wanted the series to be generic, Hoffman would be the only "Jigsaw" character
>>
>>68679457
Goldenballs was a shitty gameshow.
>>
>>68685192
>I just wish they'd plan it a bit more so bringing people back to life isn't so asspully
Not sure what you're referring tbhf. Perez was left in critical condition in 4 when the doll blew up in her face, she appeared alive in 6, her fate was just left a mystery. Doctor G needs no explanation, everyone who saw these flicks were pondering over his fate since 2004. Then Eric Matthews fate was also felt a mystery in 3. I wouldn't say anyone in these films were ever "brought back to life".
>>
>>68685376
>If they wanted the series to be generic, Hoffman would be the only "Jigsaw" character

Which is exactly why the later movies are shittier
>>
>>68685447
What are you talking about? Costas Mandylor is based as fuck and carries Saw IV - VII.
>>
>>68684974
This is a pretty good point. Just because Jigsaw is pseudo-sympathetic doesn't make him justified. He still murders people (Glover and the Asian twink in Saw I) but at least he has a degree of nuance to his villainy
>>
>>68685447
Hoffman might've been over the top but he was necessary and added to the plot of the series.

What plagues the latter films are the laziness of the subplots ("health insurers are bad!"
>>
>Weshly will never finish his retrospective
>>
>>68685376
>>68685447
Hoffman is one of the greatest villain characters of all time, and really shined in Saw 6 and for killing Jill in Saw 7.
>>
>>68680591
Lmao, you did good and you should be proud.
>>
Can't believe people like Hoffman. I was ecstatic when he got his.
>>
>>68686279
He was an absolute madman you pleb
>>
>>68686279
>Makes the best traps
>Best side of the story
>Shit gets intense when his identity is threatened
>Goes full blown Hotline Miami on motherfuckers who find out.
>Survived an inescapable death trap and took revenge out on the worst character in the series in the most satisfying way.
>Overall metal as fuck

You just have shit taste./
>>
What if his baby never died?

What kind of father would he have been?

Would he have beaten cancer to continue to raise his child?
>>
>>68680703
> the reasoning for them even being trapped got more and more stupid through out the films.
That was intended. The original jigsaw was becoming more insane and his disciples weren't following his rules properly.
>>
Saw and Saw II are really fucking smart films, pure masterpieces.
>>
>>68680978
dr. gordon's role was a good twist
but so many traps (e.g. the opening, the one with the skinheads in the car) were completely irrelevant to the plot
>>
>>68686840
If Gideon was born, he would probably fight cancer and continue to live with it despite his denied insurance. I think the combination of EVERYTHING John went through is what caused his violent legacy.
>>
>>68687054
>I think the combination of EVERYTHING John went through is what caused his violent legacy.
I agree
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f[1].jpg (88 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f[1].jpg
88 KB, 600x800
>>68686279
Closest we'll ever get to Manny Pardo
>>
>>68679781
lmao Saw 1 was a movie for sure. The other flicks wish they could figure out what made Saw 1 work
>>
File: goddamn.jpg (191 KB, 459x599) Image search: [Google]
goddamn.jpg
191 KB, 459x599
>>68687575
Holy shit this.

I was thinking about how closely related Pardo and Hoffman are in terms of what they do today.

It's like you read my goddamn mind.
>>
Saw II is the coziest. The orange tinge on everything is just so nice
>>
>>68687685
>>68687575
THICK SKIN
H
I
C
K

S
K
I
N
>>
>Saw

Hows highschool going?
>>
>>68687760
>le highschool meme xDD
so funyyyyy
>>
>>68679457
Intuitively I feel like he is wrong, but I don't know anything about philosophy and don't feel confident debating it.
>>
>>68687760
I watched Saw when I was in 5th grade. By high school i think there are better films to watch...
>>
>>68687903
There is no such thing as a "right" philosophy. jigsaw's philosophy seems plausible, but he fails to carry them out fairly, despite his protest against murder when discussing it with Hoffman.
>>
File: sawviiilegacy.jpg (40 KB, 535x338) Image search: [Google]
sawviiilegacy.jpg
40 KB, 535x338
Are guys hyped? James wan said that he knows people hated 3d and he's going to make up for it with this one.
>>
>>68687812
>Ironic shitposting

Enjoy the ban loser
>>
>>68688431
I think im hyped? I hate these movies, but a part of me loves them too, i guess.
>>
>>68688431
You know I'm hella hype. Loved every movie to date. I hope Hoffman gets retconned and comes back
>>
>>68688431
I hope he directs too, he only directed the first and after all these years of mastering his craft im sure it will be polished as fuck
>>
>>68688431
Let's all meet up and watch this together when it comes out. We can buy out the entire theater.
>>
>le ebic plot twist: the series.
>>
>>68688848
That's the charm
>>
He was right, in that he was testing their willpower to show they want to be alive. And lets them go if they succeed. His apprentices were batshit crazy though. Just wanted to kill people.
>>
>>68688935
He had the right idea but implemented it poorly. Gordon, despite failing his game, was nursed back to health, and in the majority of traps from the first Saw movie, it required the death of another person. It shows that he was a hypocrite for criticizing his apprentices, but the theme of individual philosophy is one of the reasons I love these movies.
>>
>>68688431
HOLY SHIT. IS THIS REAL? If so, I'm fucking hyped to the max.
>>
>>68688431
How the hell could they possibly bring back tobin?
>>
>>68689230
It is, releases in 2017.
>>
>>68689349
Flash backs? Like every other movie after 3
>>
Saw 5 was the best. Why? Because it had the most clever traps. They forced the victims to overcome their bad qualities to survive. Had they done so, they all would've gotten out unharmed. Instead they succumbed to their selfishness and died.

Contrary to what the movie tells us people don't just move on with their lives after being forced to chop off a limb by a homocidal maniac in a mask. That's why there should've always been the option to get out unharmed. 5 is the only movie that really does this, I'm guessing that's because the writers just aren't clever enough.
>>
>>68689349
I'm sure he would love to act as John again. But he doesn't have to appear in this one, perhaps they won't go for backstory and just set a continuation of crazed people wanting to follow Jigsaw's legacy.

Also I want Mark Hoffman to take revenge on Gordon like he did to Jill. Holy fuck I love his character.
>>
*hello zepp starts playing*
>>
Killing off Tobin Bell was such a huge mistake.
>>
>>68689640
First off, they killed off John, not Tobin Bell.

Second, despite his death in Saw III, he still appeared in every movie to date, albeit flashbacks.

Third, if Jeff didn't kill him, then the cancer would have.
>>
>>68689362
My body is ready.
>>
>>68689640
I'm glad they killed him off and just had him appear sparingly in flashbacks rather than force him so long everyone starts to hate him
>>
>>68689759
>First off, they killed off John, not Tobin Bell.
damn, i've been wondering how they got away with murdering the actor on screen for years
>>
>>68689840
>rather than force him so long everyone starts to hate him
this

good thing we had Hoffman carrying the movies.
>>
>>68689922
kek, i guess i sounded like a prick there. sorry about that.
>>
I hated watching these movies with friends, all they cared about was hurrr durrr blood traps and gore. Don't get me wrong i loved the traps but i loved the plot most of all. I would try to ask them about the plot after the movie and they would say huh wut wat about them traps tho sooo bloooodyy
>>
it was fucking bullshit how how nursed Gordon back to health but left Adam to die, the point of the game was for Gordon to fucking kill Adam, which he failed to do, Adam was the winner of the game
>>
No. Its one thing to try to make someone appreciate their life, it's another thing to put then in a situation where they will likely lose it. It would only be "right" if the traps were a bluff. Win or lose, they live, and probably appreciate their life more.
>>
>>68690857
>it's another thing to put then in a situation where they will likely lose it
As the traps became more elaborate it felt like they became more a test of dexterity and cleverness than your will to survive. As horrific as it was, cutting off your own foot is mechanically pretty easy assuming you have the balls
>>
>>68680476
lol yeah alls this fucking guy did was playpossum at work
>>
>>68690857
Although I agree with this, you can see where Jigsaw was thinking when it came to his ideas, especially when one is supposed to think of "survival instinct." Those who aren't willing to sacrifice some pain and agony are unfit to live.
>>
>he

that's melisandre
>>
>>68691321
Workers' Compensation Fraud is a felony in the United States.
>>
>mfw retards think this old fat fuck was an "evil genius" and he had some sort of philosophy
He was a dumb as fuck simple one-dimensional cartoon villain, completely devoid of any complexity and development. It's embarrasing that the writers, being mediocre morons themselves, tried to write him as some sort of super-smart methodical man gone mad but it came out retarded as fuck.
>>
>>68679457
no he was fucking delusional and a massive fucking hypocrite
>>
>>68692019
>>68679457
How many of the movies have you guys even seen?

I'm guessing less then 3
>>
>>68692098

This 2bh, he was meant to spark some conversation about how priorities change when we're at risk of death, but in the end he was clearly wrong.
>>
Why did they kill him off so quickly? It was ridiculous how much they tried to write something for Tobin Bell after Jigsaw's death.
>>
>>68692098
>>68692688
Interesting points. Despite this, I love how philosophies are played out throughout the films.
>>
>>68692789
>Why did they kill him off so quickly?
It took three whole movies for an old ass guy who was in a near fatal car crash and diagnosed with cancer to die, by something that was not even due to the cancer or crash.
>>
>>68692789
III was intended as the final film
>>
>>68692909

They shouldn't have made him that sick to begin with.

>>68692920

Interesting, didn't know that. It's funny how much the series changed as it went on, Hoffman was supposed to be just a cop when he showed up in Saw III.
>>
Maybe the whole point of the movies was to trick the viewer into sympathizing with john – even though his philosophy is screwed up, it's compelling enough that even the viewer tries to defend it
>>
File: jill.jpg (32 KB, 545x550) Image search: [Google]
jill.jpg
32 KB, 545x550
Was she the shittiest character of the franchise?

>terrible actress
>milf engaged to an old average man for some reason
>Lady McBeth in Saw VI, cliche damsel in distress in Saw 3D

Though the last one might be attributed to the general shitiness of Saw 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBg2QeRIv8
>>
>>68680714
that buzzsaw trap where the cheating bitch was tied up top, all you had to do is talk your bro down and realize she's a whore
>>
>>68693517
I like this post, this is a very nice post.
>>
>>68693743
>all you had to do is talk your bro down and realize she's a whore
and that they did. damn i was so happy they did.
>>
>>68693545
Yes she was, and you posted every reason.

I was so fucking excited when Hoffman not only broke out of her inescapable trap, but also put the bitch in one and made sure she didn't go anywhere. Shit got me hype in the theater. Fuck that bitch.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.