[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just saw the new Linklater movie From the trailer, and coming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: everybodysmall.jpg (581 KB, 800x1245) Image search: [Google]
everybodysmall.jpg
581 KB, 800x1245
Just saw the new Linklater movie

From the trailer, and coming off of Boyhood, I was skeptical, but it was actually really good. A worthy sequel to Dazed and Confused.

Exactly how much artistic merit it has, I can't quite judge yet, but it's a load of fun and I think Linklater fans will enjoy it -- so go see this movie!
>>
>>68672204
Sounds like a shill post, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I actually really liked this movie.
>>
>>68672449
Well I'm not paid, I just want people to know it's not the schlocky movie the trailer makes it look like.

Even the 'freshmen batting practice' wasn't as over the top or cheap as the trailer cut made it look. Just another case of a studio not really knowing how to sell something as it actually is.
>>
>>68672204

We are currently living in the period of peak Linklater and nobody seems to give a fuck.

EWS is probably the best comedy released in the last several years.
>>
>>68673750

You sound like a gigantic pleb mate

Bernie is great, Midnight is a near-masterpiece, Boyhood is one of the best movies of the century, EWS is a near-masterpiece
>>
>>68673669
>peak linklater
>not 1988-1995
okay man
>>
>>68673953

Midnight is better than Sunrise, Boyhood is the best movie he's made, EWS is nearly as good as Dazed, and Bernie is miles better than Learn to Plow (which is his weakest thing despite having some modest charms)
>>
>>68674050
>Millennial hipster patriarchy

I have no idea what this means

what's this board's deal with Boyhood though? why do you guys all hate a masterpiece and then heap praise on a piece of hollow horseshit like Birdman?
>>
>>68674116
>no mention of his magnum opus Slacker
>underrating his runner up Learn To Plow
>thinking Boyhood wasn't an admirable but failed experiment with a weak second half
>preferring the exploration of boredom in middle age to passion in youth

okay man, okay man
>>
>>68674279

I think that as I've aged my preference for the Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight films has changed. Sunset is my favourite of the 3. They're all brilliant but Sunrise is so thoroughly in the headspace of its characters that it teeters dangerously close to tepid sentimentality. Of course the point is that these two sound so ridiculous in the throes of their "passion" for one another but if you're not in the mood to engage with them on that level then the movie can just end up sounding ridiculous. Slacker is one of his best movies but Boyhood towers over it I'd say.

Anyway, are you really taking satisfaction debating what stretch in Linklater's career is the best? In my opinion he is currently on a roll and in one of his peaks. What is to be gained by this silliness?
>>
>>68674664
I like to talk about movies. Take your silliness and blow it out your ass.
>>
>>68674907

If you think that saying "nuh huh" the ones I like are better in green text counts as discussion then you should probably reevaluate that concept. It bums me out that people like you enjoy the same things as me.
>>
>>68675189
You're fucked, brother.
>>
>>68673926
I didn't much like 'Bernie' myself, but I do love that the film helped get Bernie out of prison, and how he's living with Linklater today. Convicted killer living in a filmmaker's garage in Austin - sounds like a Slacker character himself.
>>
It took 12 years to make!

And how dare this fucker use the title of a Led Zep song for his garbage movie? Not a very good song mind.
>>
I'm going to go see this tomorrow =)
>>
>>68676565
It's Van Halen. Unless you mean Dazed and Confused. ( Has anyone noticed neither film has the title song in it? )
>>
>>68676660
Yes I meant dazed and confused.
>>
>>68676887
Why do you think Dazed is garbage?
>>
>>68676415
Shit, really?
>>
>>68677618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAASEt20FI
>>
>>68672204
I love Dazed and Confused. Is EWS actually a sequel? Or just a snapshot of the party life of college kids in the early 80s?

i hope there's not any super dominant, male, monkey motherfuckers in it.
>>
Saw an advance screening a few weeks ago and I've been shilling it pretty hard because I fucking loved it. I think its better than Dazed.
>>68673669
This, in recent years I feel like most comedies have been kind of reliant on pop culture references. By setting it in what seems like sort of a transition period between the 70s and 80s EWS completely avoids this.
>>
How many years did this took to make?
>>
>>68672204
Is the movie funnier than the trailer because the trailer looked really really really hacky
>>
>>68677875
Linklater considers it a sequel but none of the characters actually carry over.
>>68677949
Yeah, I thought the trailer looked really bad but the movie is hilarious. It relies off a really naturalistic sort of comedy. It nails the feeling of friends ragging on each other and joking around perfectly, but that's not something you can fit in a trailer well. The first half hour or so is establishing the group dynamic and it's not too funny, but once you've got everyone figured out the smallest things can be hilarious.
>i hope there's not any super dominant, male, monkey motherfuckers in it.
Mike wouldn't do to well in this movie. Though maybe he'd be born again in College as one of the punk kids.
>>
>>68677678
Well, isn't that some shit.

>>68677875
It's the latter, but I kinda liked how it doesn't treat the guys as sorta jock stereotypes. Really it doesn't treat anyone as stereotypes, just average people who happen to be on the same baseball team.

Except for Niles. Niles was fucking weird.

>>68677949
Trailer doesn't do it justice at all.
>>
>>68678229
Niles is the one guy Linklater said was directly based off a person on his actual College team. That fucking guy... At first you think he's just a boring nerd stereotype then you realize he's something far more mysterious.
>>
>came up with the film in 2001
>started trying to get it made in 2004
>released in 2016
TWELVE YEARS
W
E
L
V
E

Y
E
A
R
S
>>
>>68678323
>I'LL FUCKING RUN HOME! I DON'T FUCKING CARE!!
>>
>>68678619
>CHECK YOUR PILLOWS
>>
Who else /stayeduntiltheendofthecredits/ here?
>>
>>68678721
no, i didn't what'd i miss?
>>
>>68678760
Only the best cast rap in film history.
>>
>>68678163
>>68678229
thank you. i've been looking for something like this. there hasn't been a movie made like this for a while.
>>
>you're so desperate
>yeah, desperate FOR PUSSY!
>>
>>68679008
>pouring the cologne in his pants
kek
>>
>>68674116
>Boyhood is the best movie he's made
I respectfully disagree agree. Thought it dragged on too much midway through however I liked the part with the stepdad, he did a really good job in that respect however I want to see EWS really badly. It looks really fun.
>>
>>68679296
>disagree agree
disagree. Fuck this 2003 laptop.
>>
>>68678659
>I'm going to get a real drink! A real mans drink!
Cuts to him at the bar. Slams his hands on the counter and proudly exclaims
>screwdriver!!
>>
>$300 AND a KID your life is FUCKED
>>
>>68679951
Holy shit are you me

Like I'm fairly certain I said that verbatim a couple days ago
>>
>>68679951
>top tier
finn, nesbit, plummer
>high tier
willaby, brumley, niles
>mid tier
dale, jake, buter, beverly, justin,
>who? tier
roper, mcreynolds, coma
>>
>>68680107
>YOU DON'T FLICK A LIME INTO A SCREWDRIVER
>>
>>68680980
(not sure why that was a reply)
>>
torrent when
>>
>>68682378

go see it in a theater you loser
>>
>>68683794
kill yourself you virgin
>>
>>68683879

the guy that is too pussy to leave his house/has no friends to go see the movie with is calling another person a virgin. sounds about right on this board.
>>
>>68683879
this movie will probably trigger you if you're too autistic to leave the house
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.