[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this last night. Loved the hell out of it, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (274 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274 KB, 800x1200
Just watched this last night.
Loved the hell out of it, it's definitely the predecessor to Everybody Wants Some(!!), but I gotta say this movie does a lot of stuff even better.

From the title you would think that weed would be a lot more major of a focus, but it's really more about the characters, and that's just fine with me.

What really stood out for me was sort of the interplay between stories. Where Everybody Wants Some sort of stayed with the main character Jake throughout the film and used him as sort of an audience insert, you don't really get any sort of guide to this particular microcosm of high school summer life, it just sorta tosses you in and moves from story to story. I'm perfectly okay with that, since it gives you more opportunities to just sorta meander with the characters. EWS is a little more focused.

It made me kinda reflect, however, on this sort of situation and my own life, how shit like this happens to some people while I've sort of stagnated socially and emotionally. There was one character (can't quite remember his name at the moment, he was the one that got beat up by the greaser pothead), had this great speech in the car about experience, and sorta not living for the future, that shit stuck with me.

Anyway, inb4 "nice blog faggot", I just wanted to talk about it a little.
>>
>>68661729
One of my favorites. Good taste, anon.
>>
>>68661729
>you don't really get any sort of guide to this particular microcosm of high school summer life
I don't really think that's true, Linklater uses Mitch and, to some extent, Pink in the same fashion he used Jake in EWS, though maybe not as overtly.
>>
>>68661729
Can't watch it because it fills me with regret and painful nostalgia
>>
>it's definitely the predecessor to Everybody Wants Some(!!)

NO SHIT?!
>>
>>68661931
Yeah, I guess that's fair.
>>
File: alrightx3.jpg (143 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
alrightx3.jpg
143 KB, 1366x768
As a degenerate bud smoker myself, I appreciate their accurate portrayal of how and where people smoke it, along with the types of people that do.

You have your silly stereotype Slater, but then you have real people from different backgrounds. There's a fuckton of different personalities that mirror adults in different walks of life. This movie is one of the few that positively and accurately portrays cannabis users, along with being a really entertaining story not focused on weed. Too many movies make weed the focus and play to tropes instead of just putting it in the background as something characters happen to do socially. I could do without all the paddlin' though. Ben Affleck gets pretty sexual with it.
>>
SWEEEEET EMOOOOOOOOOOOOTION

Comfiest of them all.
>>
>you never fucked around and did shit like this with your m8s in highschool
>>
>>68662854
I did.

hung out with guys a few years older and was dropping acid and hanging out with one guy who parents let him live alone.
>>
>>68662781
> tfw will never get those sick cans back

The ones that punched two holes in the top made chugging so easy. I miss the 80s.

Also, good point.
>>
File: wewerejusplayin.gif (2 MB, 450x246) Image search: [Google]
wewerejusplayin.gif
2 MB, 450x246
>>68662854
>tfw ywn get a paddlin' from Batfleck
>>
>>68662951
I grew up around a non drinking crew. I relate to the smoking in cars and driving places for fun. Lots of trips to the woods and beach pavilions after school.
>>
>>68661729
>how shit like this happens to some people
It's a film made to entertain a viewer. Don't beat yourself up just because your life is not like a teenage comedy from 1993.
>>
>>68663004
>Batfleck will never spank your early teenage ass

Just die in my sleep already
>>
>>68662854
Only time I can remember doing shit like this was in my senior year, and even then it was just stupid shit like group trips to the movies and a late night Denny's run.

I've never smoked or drank before, and I'm 19. I feel like I should be doing a lot more than what I'm doing now.
>>
>>68663347
You're probably right.

I just notice it more, I guess.
>>
>>68661729

One of my absolute favourite movies. If you get a chance OP you should check out the commentary with Linklater. Linklater commentaries are some of my favourite because the way he talks is reminiscent of the way his movies feel. Very laidback while being casually philosophical and insightful without at all seeming pretentious.

I think what it so amazing about Linklater in general is that no matter what the subject matter he manages to put his imprint on the film and still pursue the things he's preoccupied with. His obsession with time and how we can possibly appreciate it or apprehend it while trying to engage with the present moment is covered in almost all of his best movies.

Anyway, Dazed is a classic and I'm guessing EWS will become one too. I've seen Dazed dozens of times over the years and I think I'll probably watch EWS a couple more times in theaters and I will definitely buy the blu-ray as soon as it comes out.

Have you seen Linklater's other stuff OP
>>
>>68661729

one of Linklater's best
>>
>>68665449
I'm a casual fan of Linklater, School of Rock was one of my absolute favorites when I was younger, and I took a real liking to A Scanner Darkly for a while, the animation was so fucking cool.

Boyhood mirrored my own life a little too close for comfort, I remember walking out of it feeling really out of it, like he'd just captured the life of most people my age on camera, it was a trippy experience.

I refuse to see the Before Sunrise movies until I can get a gf, so that might be a while.
>>
>>68665752

I don't think you even need the caveat that School of Rock was a favourite when you were younger. Have you seen it recently? That movie is still fantastic, one of the best "children's" films ever made I'd say.

I really recommend that you check out the Before trilogy. I watched Before Sunrise before I ever had a gf and it was an incredible experience. It's good to see Before Sunrise when you're young because the movie captures youthful feeling of what love is like extremely well. The two movies after that detail the progression that occurs as we get older and our initial romanticism starts to fade.

It's an extremely moving trilogy that is remarkably beautiful and probably one of the greatest achievements in contemporary film. You should really watch them. Like right now.
>>
>>68666144
I'll check them out when I can, but I've always been under the impression that these movies are a really good depiction of young, stupid love, and honestly I don't know if I can be doing with that right now. I feel like it's gonna remind me of good times that ended badly, and how I'm not having them now.
>>
>>68666370

The first movie is a depiction of that. The two movies after that are more the hangover of that initial romantic intoxication. Before Sunset is deeply sad and features two characters who have become jaded and no longer seem to believe that genuine love is even possible. It's not depressing but it is very moving and emotional.
>>
>>68666464
Damn. I'll give it a go then, maybe after I'm done with my own editing.
>>
>>68663004
>when the mom brings the shotgun out
fucking hyperkek right there
>>
>>68661729
>>68661979
This desu. I was drinking as i was watching it and it made me feel bad for not being a teen anymore.

Do you think social media and technologys invasive connectivity will ruin these types of adolescence in the future?
>>
>>68661729

The only real letdown of this movie is Mitch Kramer's performance but that is me nitpicking. He's still fine in the movie but you can tell he's a pretty awkward performer. It really has basically no negative impact on the movie though.
>>
>>68667120
It's certainly ruined mine.
>>
>>68667126
What the fuck was with half the dudes in the movie having long straight hair? I legitimately thought Kramer was a chick in some parts.
>>
>>68667237

That was the 70s style my man. Androgyny ruled. The shirt Kramer wears on the night out is also extraordinarily flamboyantly effeminate. I doubt you'd ever see a dude comfortable enough to rock that out now.
>>
>>68667309
I mean, nu-males like that Carl The Cuck memefag would probably be okay with it, but I can see where you're coming from.
>>
>>68665752
>Boyhood mirrored my own life a little too close for comfort, I remember walking out of it feeling really out of it, like he'd just captured the life of most people my age on camera
I can't personally say he captured my childhood like that (no divorced parents, no abusive/drunk/stepdad, no moving to new schools, no emo artfag phase). Not that my childhood was perfect, but its a bit too on the nose for all the generic "tough" childhood events. Maybe it's extremely accurate to some, but I think its also too recent to really have anything to say about what growing up in the 2000s means. You could probably set it in any decade and other than the pop culture tidbits the movie would largely stay the same

I was never a nostalgiafag to begin with, but it really put a damper on the idea that growing up in any decade is better than another beyond what tv shows and music were around
>>
>>68667793
I mean just the general feeling of it all, it's got a strong sense of nostalgia to it, and along with the divorced parents thing I just really could feel that shit hard.

No string of abusive stepdads though. I'm glad about that.
>>
>>68667793

But I mean, why do you think Boyhood is trying to make a comment on what it's like to grow up in the 00s? I think that what is so good about it is that it does feel largely timeless. I think it's more about the experience of growing up itself than it is about growing up in a particular era.

I also think that the negative experiences Mason goes through are meant to be representative of the difficulties and the fears that growing up engenders. The world looks complicated and tough and even if you didn't have an abusive stepdad, you could probably relate to what it might feel like to have one and I'm sure you've gone through trying situations as you've grown up.

I love everything about Boyhood
>>
>>68661729
This movie was shit and boring as fuck.
>>
>>68668156
Your opinions are your own, man, but fucking back them up with evidence or get the fuck out.
>>
>>68668156
Agreed, came here to say this.

The movie is pretty dumb, bad actors, bad characters, it may be a timepiece but it's just not a good movie.
>>
>>68668274
>bad characters
That is objectively false.
>>
>>68667973
I can appreciate that. I was just expecting a 2000s equivalent to Slacker or Dazed and Confused, that perfect immersive sense of time and place. Maybe that decade is just too familiar to me already to really suck me in, but Slacker seemed to have more to say about 90s hipsters and DaC more about 70s high school culture than Boyhood did about being a kid in the 00s. He plays Wii and listens to Britney Spears and his dad votes for Obama. It's very broad "I remember doing that" kind of stuff, written around equally broad childhood difficulties

>>68668085
>meant to be representative of the difficulties and the fears that growing up engenders
I never quite get this in movies. My childhood was largely defined by boredom, always trying to find ways to stay entertained, experiencing new things, not always happy (I had depression/anxiety since the third grade) but not mopey and brooding either. I see so many filmmakers paint childhood as this difficult thing to wade through and make it out the other end. Childhood to me is more endless possibilities than uncertainty and angst (or to go the Spielberg way, innocence. His images of saintly pure kids are ridiculous). That stuff hit me hard after puberty though

This is all highly subjective and based on personal experience though, as a movie alone its still fine
>>
>>68668658

I don't really think that Mason's character in Boyhood is defined by sadness though. I mean about 50% of parents in North America grow up with divorced parents or their parents divorce when they're teenagers. It's not an uncommon experience at all. Either way though, I never feel as though Boyhood paints childhood as something that has to be struggled through. Every childhood probably sees some struggles though.

I think one of the biggest issues around criticism of Boyhood has to do with its title. Linklater actually wanted the movie to be called 12 Years, he doesn't like the title Boyhood and I think it's because he realizes that people going into the movie are looking to find a depiction of childhood that is meant to be universal or capture what it's like for every kid growing up. We don't expect that a movie like Tree of Life is going to accurately depict what it's like to grow up for a kid so why do we expect it of Boyhood? I mean your experience of childhood was unique just as Mason's is mean to be unique. I think there has been a dangerous trend towards interpreting the movie as some ur-text for growing up when it's really not trying to be that at all. It's trying to depict what it is like growing up for one specific kid. I think what is so incredible about the movie is that it feels like Linklater has created an entire, living person with his movie. It conjures an identity and makes us, or at least me, feel as though this is someone real and living that I could almost reach out and touch. I think what is so beautiful about the movie is that it suggests there is a worth and value and beauty in even the most mundane of lives.
>>
All of his movies are great but Waking life will forever be linklaters best
>>
>>68670218
Really? I've heard it was cheap shit.
>>
>>68662781
But the paddles have great names like like FAH-Q.
>>
>>68670560
Soul Pole was my personal favorite.
>>
>>68670218

I am a massive Linklater fan and I am finally going to get around to sitting down to Waking Life today. I've seen clips over the years and the first half an hour but I've never watched it for some reason. I'm hyped as fuck.
>>
>bump
>>
It's a dadcore movie desu, good dadcore, but still dadcore
>>
>>68674730
What does that even mean
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.