[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait, so he was a good guy? And Harry's dad was a dick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: snape.jpg (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
snape.jpg
40 KB, 800x600
Wait, so he was a good guy? And Harry's dad was a dick? But Snape was a dick too. Why was he such a dick?

This story makes no sense.
>>
>This story makes no sense.

Yeah, because Rowling is a decent writer, but a shitty storyteller.
>>
>>68654699
Snape was a dick because Harry's dad stole his girl and then he and Sirius bullied him throughout his school years.
And he STILL took care of Harry and kept saving his ass. Snape is the hero we need, but don't deserve.
>>
>>68654736
How is she a decent writer, she's barely mediocre
>>
>>68654794
She made lots of money, therefore she's good at what she does.
>>
>>68654761
I felt like this was obvious. Even if you only saw the movies.
>>
>>68654736
>Yeah, because Rowling is a decent writer, but a shitty storyteller.
This is literally the opposite of the truth. Rowling is a mediocre prose stylist who tells excellent stories. Kind of like Stephen King.
>>
>>68654809
Never said she isn't good at what she does, she's just not good at writing.
>>
>>68654794
I think JK rowling is a respectable writer, and story teller. It's hard for me to get into magic worlds and shit because there's so many world/physics breaking mechanics that's all baffling stupid to me, but she managed to make it relatable. She made you care about the characters you were supposed to support and she made you hate the ones you were supposed to hate. I can't think of any one incoherent thing about the whole story, or a plot hole.

Although the time travel device thing never made sense to me at all because of how exploitable magic like that would be, but I can't think of one story that doesn't time travel in a respectable manner.
>>
>>68654869
>excellent stories

Have we read the same books? It's a painfully repetitive series with shallow plots and characters, shit world building, overuse of macguffins and deus ex machinas, and delusions of being an "epic".
>>
>>68654869
SK only fits that bill in his short stories. In his longers ones he's the opposite. He's a great world and character builder and a great dialogue writer but his story climaxes and underlying plot mechanics are always fucking stupid and clunky
>>
Was Snape a cuck?
>>
>>68654699
Post mortem cucked
>>
>>68654920
Well first of all she can't be a good writer and story teller because she stole most of it from Tales of the Earthsea and just put it in an english school setting to get kids to relate to the story, which doesn't make her a good writer but a good thief and manipulator.
Second, if you have a problem with fantasy/sf settings because they have physics making mechanics than...jesus christ man you're like my colleagues from the lab who are yelling that they can't watch Star Wars because there's sounds when in space...I think people like that are a danger to society and they should quickly get out of scientific fields.
>>
yea the movies dont make sense after the second one
>>
>>68655001
Yes
>>
>>68654869
no no, it's funny you say that stephen king loves rowlings stories, she is a great writer, but storytelling might be the weakness.

you have to look at it,that the poor story telling comes from the fact it's kids books.
>>
>>68655126
I've read some of that Earthsea stuff and I don't get this. In Harry Potter knowing someone's name doesn't give you any power over them.
>>
Snape was harry's real father, James was the cuck
>>
>>68655307
Then explain Harry looking like James.
>>
>>68655239
Ok?
>>
>>68655355
So are you going to explain to me how it's a rip-off or not? Because I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>68655126
>Second, if you have a problem with fantasy/sf settings because they have physics making mechanics than...

The weird thing is, unlike good fantasy/sci-fi writers, Rowling is really terrible at giving her world any kind of coherence. There seems to be very little consistency in the way magic works, for example. Way too often, magical artifacts and powers are simply introduced as plot devices, without giving real attention to their implications for the world it's taking place in.

Good writers actually put a lot of thought into the "mechanics" of their fictional universes, so even if it is magic, there would be rules and such. Rowling didn't do that.
>>
>>68655382
I've read both too and I see very few similarities that aren't shared by all fantasy stories. Talking out of his ass.
>>
>Rowling trying to write about a teenage boys feelings for a girl in book 6

that was painful, even if it is my favourite book of the series. I loved the parts when they just did normal Hogwarts things. 6 was full of that.
>>
>>68655396
Oh, I misunderstood you, sorry, yeah that's a good point.
>>
>>68655382
I don't know what you meant by what you wrote. So names are not important in Harry Potter. You took one thing that is different, wrote it and now what?
>>
>>68655216
>you have to look at it,that the poor story telling comes from the fact it's kids books.

There are kid's books that have excellent stories, sometimes even with a lot of depth, it's just that the Harry Potter series isn't among those.
And even that would be fine, if they were "just" kid's books, but as the series went along, there was this pretension of it "growing up" and gaining depth, even though it was just the same shallow shit, only increasingly grim and violent.
You wouldn't believe how many adults still insist that this series stopped being for kids after a certain point.
>>
>>68655239
>>68655126
I also don't see how Harry Potter can is comparable to Earthsea, don't remember many similarities.
>>
>>68655469
>the most foundation part of magic in one setting has literally zero significance in the other
It's a big deal, anon. Did you by any chance not read Tales of the Earthsea, and how Ged, by by using the power of names, solves his conflict in the first book?
Whatever. Let's look at some other stuff. Harry Potter is seven books, six of which are him in school. In Tales of the Earthsea, Ged goes to school and finishes it during the first book and that stuff is hardly important.
Harry Potter takes place in our world, but with super secret magic. Tales of the Earthsea has a completely different world.

So are you going to explain to me how Harry Potter is ripping off Tales of the Earthsea or not?
>>
>>68655440
>Oh, I misunderstood you, sorry, yeah that's a good point.

>>68655396 here, I just wanted to point out that I'm not actually the guy you were originally replying to. My comment was more of a general observation regarding this subject.
>>
>>68655518
Wait so you are telling me you see no similarities in the events the settings, the people in both books and their positions in the world?
The chosen kid wizard with family tragedy in youth who was after it raised harshly than ended up in a remote wizardry school which is the most secure place in the world (or so we think dun dun dunnn) where he meets his rival who just doesn't seem to like him no matter what our hero does etc etc etc.
C'mon Le Guin was even asked in interviews if she is flattered that Rowling took so much from Earthsea.
>>
>characters are not black and white
>americans get confused

every. time.
>>
Harry's mother was his only friend and Voldemort murdered her because of information he got from snape

He tried to make up for it by being a spy
>>
Why didn't you read A Cadmean Victory yet?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11446957/1/A-Cadmean-Victory

And if you did, what did you think about it?
>>
>>68655437
>I loved the parts when they just did normal Hogwarts things
Hey look, probably the only person ITT who actually gets the point of the HP novels. They're pure escapist drivel, literally just a friend simulator. Arguing about the plot or the writing is pointless when the whole purpose of the books is to self-insert as Harry, which is why he's such a bland, empty, vaguely altruistic character.
>>
>>68655872
>Harry P., Fleur D.

Dropped

The only good HP waifu is Luna Lovegood
>>
>>68655597
Oh ffs, she didn't copy all books word for word, you don't do that, you copy the main fundamentals in setting and characters, back story etc, of course she won't copy everything word for word and just change names.

Fine, let's point out obvious things.

Both heroes, Potter, Ged: poor kids/heroes with bad/unloving father figures who hate magic and are hostile towards it, with family tragedy in the past, both grew up in a small town/village and both are raised by their dead mother's sister along with the hateful father figure.
Hogwarts, Roke: both schools isolated and protected from the world by layers and layers of magic which also prevents non-magic users form entering/discovering.
Both Harry and Ged have a misshap as their magic surfaces in their young age, both misshaps are with animals, snake at zoo Harry, goat Get, both can't control it.

Invitation to school is for both a save from their ruined childhood.
Both head wizards, in both schools are bearded, kind, old guys who favor our heroes, both have a bird as their "familiar", both will die before the end of the heroes journey.
Both heroes are given a magical item upon their entrance to the school which symbolize their status as wizards (wand, staff)
Both schools have a mysterious forest off-limits to students.
Both heroes have animal pets, bot their pets are killed in an run in with the enemy.
Both heroes have a rival with which they end up in a magical duel.
Both heroes have a good friend in school who is poor and both of those poor friends have a younger sister who has a crush on the hero.
Both heroes save a girl in an underground chamber who they later marry.
Both heroes have an enemy with an intimate connection to them, both get a disfiguring scar form that enemy, both those enemies have a power to control the minds of others.
Both heroes walk through the land of the dead and return to the living although changed by the experience. And there's more.
>>
Snape sacrificed everything for Harry's mum, and even when she was killed (after Snape successfully convinced Ralph Finesse not to kill her) he still kept sacrificing for her, in the form of protecting Harry, whom he hates, because he is a constant reminder that Lily got on with James who is Harry asshole dad, and not Snape, who was a qt3.14
>>
File: 509.png (253 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
509.png
253 KB, 600x450
>>68655883
You got me. I read them loads of times growing up as a lonely teenager. I pictured myself in the common room.

I think I actually remember imagining myself being a student too as I fell asleep, talking to friends in the common room.

It felt far less autistic and pathetic at the time.
>>
>>68655597
C'mon now, I took the time to explain the obvious, now it's your turn.
>>
oh shit

he's dead

i'd somehow lost the association between snape and helen in my head

damn

reboot when?
>>
>>68655903
Fleur's good. Daphne is in some fics too.
>>
>>68656620
>Fleur's good
OMG harry you resist me so well i luv u 4ever nao

>Daphne
DUDE SLYTHERIN FUCK YOU RON LMAO
>>
>>68656692
Well, when you put it like that, fanfics can be formulaic. But execution matters and I think A Cadmean Victory does it well.
>>
>>68655319
Magic you retard
>>
Snape is one of those losers who cries about getting friendzoned.

He's also not a good guy because he's like "kill the guy and the baby but spare muh lilly."
>>
>>68657501
>losers who cry
>never said a word about it
>makes sure to protect the memory from access
>>
You say, Harry's dad stole the girl but was she ever Snape's or did he just want her?
>>
>>68655734
do you really think we can't understand this simple as fuck kids trilogy? There is always a few retards who don't understand obvious things

>muh sorcerer's stone

It was changed because our school system is shit, kids would have no idea what a philosopher's stone is
>>
>>68656160
These sound more like cliches than straight copying. Many of the magic books I've read have almost all of those things in the story. It is possible that Rowling was inspired by the book you are talking about, but they are different enough in tone that they aren't the same book.

Don't be a cuck. Plenty of stories have the same general ideas. All stories copy each other if you take their plot and describe it in broad terms.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.