[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just started watching Vertigo on Netflix and it had really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: vertigo.jpg (39 KB, 350x453) Image search: [Google]
vertigo.jpg
39 KB, 350x453
I just started watching Vertigo on Netflix and it had really bad, hamfisted, contrived, expository screenplay
>But what about my Vertigo? You know, ? Vertigo! the acute fear of heights where I suffer extreme dizziness and nausea. I first developed vertigo on the job as police officer, but they say it will never go away.

>but hold on weren't we engaged some time ago? Ah yes back in college, those were the years. But you cancelled our engagement, remember?

And then there was this really boring part where he just followed this guy's wife while she went shopping so I got bored ~20 minutes in and decided to read ahead on the plot synopsis on wikipedia to see if it became interesting or suspsenseful or had any dramatic intrigue.

And it didn't.
What a bad, melodramatic, implausible, dumb storyline.
Who even cares? how did she fall in love with a detective following her in a couple of days?

Why is this thought of as one of the best movies ever? It's total shit in every way compared to say The Godfather.
Are people so shallow that they wank over this poorly scripted movie with a bad plot just because of the zooming camera effects?

Overall, 0 stars. Not enjoyable at all. Such a bad movie I couldn't be bothered to finish.
>>
>>68270267
Even if this is bait. Movies needed lots og exposition back then because people knew fuck all
>>
File: 1417166039331.jpg (11 KB, 188x196) Image search: [Google]
1417166039331.jpg
11 KB, 188x196
>>68270267
I know op.
its just the world,nothing that can be done.Another example of where the world atm is Mad Max 2015 that has 97% on RT.
People are crazy.
>>
>>68270267
>I got bored ~20 minutes in and decided to read ahead on the plot synopsis on wikipedia to see if it became interesting or suspsenseful or had any dramatic intrigue
>>
this board is fucked
>>
>>68270267
Hitchcock's movies are "popular" because he pioneered in the modern crime thriller genre. Watching Vertigo today is a meh experience but audience 50 years ago wasn't introduced to that kind of film making, hence the ooh aah. Kinda like everyone threw a fit after witnessing a toilet seat on a silver screen.
>>
>>68270295
that could account for needing to include inauthentic, rubish dialogue explaining vertigo, since the genreal public probably were a lot less familiar with the term.

But it doesn't explain the dreadfully hamfisted , unnatural exposition about how the main character and his female companion used to be engaged.

that's simply storytelling incompetence.
>>
>>68270267
>just started

Finish it. It pays off.

A big part of Hitchcock's technique is to create a false sense of security and predictability and then have everything veer off rails.

And like any Hitchcock movie there are moments of startling beauty and terror.

Two shots that really stand out in my head as being the culmination of long buildups: that moment where she steps forward in the hotel room backlit by that greenish neon sign, and the other where we see some kind of dark horrible shadow in the tower right before she falls to her death.
>>
>>68270455
You are right
Jesus Christ
>>
>>68270267
Get back to your capeshit containment thread fag
>>
>>68270455
I know. It's awful. I think this place used to actually give a shit about cinema. Now the majority actually shits on Alfred Hitchcock while defending Batman v Superman.
>>
>>68270594
t. boomer
>>
>>68270267

Mediocre film.

No wonder Hitchcock told James Stewart that he'll never work with him again and his career was finished because of this box office bomb.
>>
>>68270267
I agree with you, OP.
I have no issue with other Hitchcock movies despite knowing exactly what will happen (so it's not about ebin twist for me if there is any) but Vertigo is a complete borefest. It's like the whole movie was made for the sake of that twist. I actually have no words to describe it. It's completely off the rails for me.
Would not recommend.
>>
Rope, Rear Window and Spellbound are objectively better than Vertigo though.
>>
>>68270458
brighton rock came out in 1947 and was much better, more natural and authentic and suspenseful that most Shitcock "classics" I've seen.

I've never seen psycho so maybe that's his saving grace, but all the "highly esteemed classics" I've seen broadcast on tv in the afternoons like Rebecca, Shadow of a doubt and Rope have been pedestrian.
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/aug/01/vertigo-hitchcock-bfi-greatest-film
>>
>>68270455
>>68270550
>>68270594
it sounds like you're all plebs with rock bottom standards in screenwriting then.
>>
The Third Man also came out about 10 years before Vertigo and was much better than it.

The Third Man is actually quite good even by modern standards but Vertigo is only good by artificially lowered standards viewed through rose-tinted spectacles.
>>
>>68270732
Can I ask what is wrong with you people.
What do you get of shitting after anyone thats done anything right while defending mediocre garbage.
I am dead serious about this answer me please so I would know the truth.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 644x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 644x810
>>68270267
Tell your mother it's never too late to schedule an abortion.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 928x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 928x523
I still remember renting VHS tapes of PSYCHO, Vertigo and The Birds one fine summer afternoon in 1994... I had no idea what I was in for.
>>
>>68270874
>shitting after anyone thats done anything right
How is this doing anything right?
>>But what about my Vertigo? You know, ? Vertigo! the acute fear of heights where I suffer extreme dizziness and nausea. I first developed vertigo on the job as police officer, but they say it will never go away.

>>but hold on weren't we engaged some time ago? Ah yes back in college, those were the years. But you cancelled our engagement, remember?

>while defending mediocre garbage.
When have I done that? Are you so autistic that you're attributing things that people have said in other threads to me because you think that every post made on /tv/ except for yours is by the same person?
what an autism
>>
>>68270267
>It's total shit in every way compared to say The Godfather
The Godfather really doesn't come close to Vertigo.
>>68270825
In this case, it's a matter of preference, but I would choose Vertigo over the Third Man easily, and I think Vertigo is more important in the history of film.

There is no lowered bar. Vertigo isn't realistic and it employs a style that is alien to modern audiences at large. It makes it hard for people weaned on realism, sit coms, and neatly packaged "art films" to see it as anything other than dated.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 600x918) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 600x918
>>68271114
They're both forms of exposition which are designed to resemble each other. Vertigo is a kind of relationship sickness for this character, he ascends to a great height in a relationship or an investigation, and then he becomes sick of it...

The combination of these two forms of background information creates the atmosphere of the piece.
>>
>>68271247
*a SUBTEXT if you will!
>>
>>68271247
it creates the goofy atmosphere of an amateurish screenplay where you can tell the creator was intent on cramming as much exposition in there even if it meant giving the actors an unnatural, nonsense script that ruined immersion in that scene and made the audience accutely aware that they're watching a thriller movie.
>>
>>68271385
What rambling sentence of non-criticism.
>>
>>68271436
What a*
>>
>>68271114
t.diagnosed autist
>>
>>68271436
on the contrary. it was a perfectly sensible complaint about uncontroversially bad scripting that fails terribly at following the near-universally accepted screen-writing principle of showing not telling.

On the other hand your defence is "hurr this unnatural, contrived, hamfisted exposition creates the movie's atmosphere".

It's pretty pathetic that you feel compelled to defend objectively bad writing just because it's in a movie you know to be critically acclaimed. Sad!
>>
>>68270267
same psychopath, different thread
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 987x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 987x800
>>68271385
Not everyone who has Vertigo gets nausea... And a policeman who gets nausea is another story entirely.

Rear Window does the same thing when Stewart asks Kelly who she is... like he doesn't know.
>>
>>68271637
>Sad!
you are a fucking sad little man
>>
>>68271637
>on the contrary. it was a perfectly sensible complaint about uncontroversially bad scripting that fails terribly at following the near-universally accepted screen-writing principle of showing not telling.
This sentence feels longer than Vertigo.
>On the other hand your defence is "hurr this unnatural, contrived, hamfisted exposition creates the movie's atmosphere".
Not my defense. I was just pointing out your poorly articulated non-criticism.
>It's pretty pathetic that you feel compelled to defend objectively bad writing just because it's in a movie you know to be critically acclaimed. Sad
You're a fag. Try saying something about the movie. Or better yet, don't.
>>
>>68271751
wow are you seriously getting butthurt because I don't like a movie you like ? lmao
>>
>>68270295
There are no shortage of movies from that era or the era before it that didn't hamfist exposition. It's not an excuse.
>>
>>68271757
>fails terribly at following the near-universally accepted screen-writing principle of showing not telling
exactly what you are saying, word for word, about BvS on all the other threads, you sad mental case
>>
File: enough.jpg (91 KB, 700x447) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
91 KB, 700x447
>>68270267
Leave my board.
>>
>>68271816
not at all. I'm just telling you you are a sad little cunt, spreading over this board like cancer
your life must be fucking empty if trolling dozens of threads is your hobby
>>
>>68271849
Why are you quoting me?
>>
>posting on /tv/ while watching a film
>>
>>68271757
>waaahhh stop using long sentences!!
>waaahhh wahhh pointing out unnatural, expository dialogue that tells rather than shows doesn't count as criticism!!
>lah lah lah I'm going to pretend you haven't said anything about the movie and you can't stop me lah lah lah lah

grow up, kid
>>
File: 1460313640037.png (20 KB, 658x643) Image search: [Google]
1460313640037.png
20 KB, 658x643
>>68270455
>>68270594
I blame Baneposting for making superhero movies a meme by default
Of course, the term "capeshit" wasn't coined til later.
Considering /v/ got /vg/, /vp/, AND /vr/, /fi/ is more than welcome
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 736x490
>>68270267
They need you to buy into the metaphor before they extrapolate on it too wildly. They're giving you the framework of the situation so that they can tell a story about the man's spiritual qualities.
>>
File: 1416330962258.gif (60 KB, 384x269) Image search: [Google]
1416330962258.gif
60 KB, 384x269
>>68271899
>I'm not butthurt you little fucking cunt fuck off and stop trolling fffuck you
>>
Is OP trolling? Vertigo isn't on Netflix.

>>68271930
>waaahhh stop using long sentences!!
A run on sentence is more than just long.
>waaahhh wahhh pointing out unnatural, expository dialogue that tells rather than shows doesn't count as criticism!!
As Hitchcock himself would say, dialogue in a film is static. Vertigo is framed like a pulpy thriller to tell a story of immense psychological depth.
>lah lah lah I'm going to pretend you haven't said anything about the movie and you can't stop me lah lah lah lah
You haven't said anything about the film. All you've done is shown your lack of appreciation for films that aren't modern.
>>
>>68271637
>that fails terribly at following the near-universally accepted screen-writing principle of showing not telling.

Well it depends on what you're trying to show.

If the thing you tell is not the subject of your film, you're perfectly within your writes to tell, not show, if it allows you the context to show, not tell for the thing which *is* the subject of your film.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.