[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think this would be a perfect 90s movie if it wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Anyone else think this would be a perfect 90s movie if it wasn't for the horrible Robert Duvall subplot?

>"I'M ONLY ONE DAY FROM RETIREMENT AND MY WIFE IS MENTALLY RETARDED OR SOMETHING"

I have to fast forward through all that bullshit every time.
>>
But Duvall is a blue-pilled counterpart to Mickey D's red-pilled motherfucker. He's been fucked over by the exact same systems supporting the exact same degeneration of society, but he's chosen to go gentle into that good night instead.
>>
>>68263859
Falling Down is entertaining enough but there is really nothing redeeming about the movie.
>>
>>68263859
the Duvall subplot was actually the main plot
>>
>>68263859
robert duvall is important for teh movie's themes.

Not hte one day away from retirement bit, but the fact he looks after his wife with dementia and accepts disrespect for the sake of his job shows that he's the opposite of D-Fens. He emodies the virtue of duty. when life throws shit at robert duvall's character he keeps going for the sake of the people who need him.

you're a top pleb if you think teh point of the movie was ONLY "yeah stick it to the system maaaan. The system SUCKS! I wish I could blow up stupid stuff too! lol!!"
>>
IF I FALL BACK DOWN
YOU'RE GONNA PICK ME BACK UP AGAIN
IF I FALL BACK DOWN
YOU'RE GONNA BE MY FRIEND
>>
>>68263859
I like the fact that everything happens in 1 day.
>>
>>68263913
Bill Foster WAS the degenerate

Yeah, those ghetto assholes harassed him and he did nothing wrong by defending himself but Foster was a sociopath who freaked the fuck out of business prices and nearly went postal because some wageslaves with real jobs didn't have the fucking time to make him his fucking breakfast when it was lunch time.

Nothing screams "Red pilled conservative" like a guy who kills people just because they are richer than he is
>>
>>68264236
>Nothing screams "Red pilled conservative" like a guy who kills people just because they are richer than he is
Sounds more like a revolutionary to me.
>>
>>68263967
>but there is really nothing redeeming about the movie.
what needs to be redeemed? There's nothing redeeming about Blade Runner, The Princess Bride, or any movie that people like. It's a goddamn opitcal illusion used to tell a story that some people like, some people have never seen, some people dislike. It's not fucking Jesus here to take your sins away.
>>
>>68264236
>nearly went postal because some wageslaves with real jobs didn't have the fucking time to make him his fucking breakfast when it was lunch time.
He just wanted for them to be reasonable and interact with him on a human level, not on a human->corporation->state->corporation->human level. Interaction by proxy is incredibly dehumanizing to anyone who hasn't been brainwashed into it since birth.
>>
File: 1415913870447.jpg (29 KB, 510x363) Image search: [Google]
1415913870447.jpg
29 KB, 510x363
>>68263859
so you're that edgy retard kid who just wants to see an angry white guy shoot guns at minorites, huh?
>>
>>68263859
The movie has two main characters and they meet at the end for a reason.
>>
>>68264257
Are you for real? I'm saying there is no aspect of the film to make up for its questionable morality. It lacks both style and substance; It looks, sounds, and feels completely bland.
>>
>>68264156
>Not hte one day away from retirement bit but the fact he looks after his wife with dementia

She didn't have dementia she was just a mean domineering bitch.He also put in for early retirement just to please her and refused to take on his fair share of the dangerous jobs because she didn't want him to earning him the ire of his colleagues.

>and accepts disrespect for the sake of his job shows that he's the opposite of D-Fens. He emodies the virtue of duty.

No he epitomized the cog in a machine, happy to slide along, trying to keep his head down and mark time.

>when life throws shit at robert duvall's character he keeps going for the sake of the people who need him.
No I would characterize him as weak, meek and timid. Only in the final act does he develop anything resembling a spine.

>you're a top pleb if you think teh point of the movie was ONLY "yeah stick it to the system maaaan. The system SUCKS! I wish I could blow up stupid stuff too! lol!!"

I thought the whole point of the film was to juxtapose the response and eventual fate of the two characters. They have both been fucked over by life and the system, both had lost their children, both had "lost" their wives and both were being constantly disrespected. One accepts it meekly and eats shit whilst the other snaps and goes out railing against the world. It is telling that Duvalls character says that MD is the bad guy and he will be going home to have a chicken dinner,a reward for a lifetime of not rocking the boat. MD character on the other hand gets gunned down, destroyed by the system he was standing up against.

You don't have to agree with MDs actions throughout the film but to dismiss him as just a sociopathic loon would be incorrect, events, many not of his own making pushed him over the edge and made him imo a somewhat sympathetic albeit pitiful character.
>>
>>68265268
>questionable morality needs to be "made up for" and cannot stand on it's own

Only a simpleton needs to be spoonfed a message on morality.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.