[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how the fuck does something like this happen? how do you fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: suba.jpg (101 KB, 474x378) Image search: [Google]
suba.jpg
101 KB, 474x378
how the fuck does something like this happen?

how do you fuck up making a movie about the two most iconic superheroes of all time, with a budget of almost half a billion dollars?
>>
You put a total hack in charge.
>>
>>67498057
>greatest director of our generation
>""a total hack""

lel
>>
>>67497997
Simple: you fundamentally misunderstand both Batman and Superman as characters. You get caught up in what they can and can't do and you forget why they do it.

Batman should be dark, and gritty, and a bit grim. But a good Batman depiction shows him as being, fundamentally, an optimist.

A Batman that was true to the comics would show him as honestly believing that there will come a day where he can hang up his cape because Gotham doesn't need him anymore.

Then on the other end, you have Superman.

SUPERMAN IS ABOUT HOPE.

SUPERMAN IS ALWAYS ABOUT HOPE.

IF YOU ARE PORTRAYING SUPERMAN AS DOING ANYTHING OTHER THAN INSPIRING HOPE IN THE AVERAGE PERSON, THEN YOU
ARE
FUCKING
UP

WE DON'T WANT A DARK AN EDGY SUPERMAN, AND WE DON'T WANT SUPERMAN TO EXIST IN A DARK AND EDGY WORLD.

GAH. There's supposed to be five stages of grief yet for some reason I seem to be locked in "anger".
>>
>>67498164

>these characters should be what I want them to be
>>
>>67497997
Preconceived notions of what a superhero film should be and unmet expectations.
>>
>>67498227
Snyder, please
>>
CONFIRMED BLOVIATED
>>
>>67497997
When Affleck is the one in the cast with charisma, you dun goof'd.
>>
>>67498164
>AND WE DON'T WANT SUPERMAN TO EXIST IN A DARK AND EDGY WORLD.

speak for yourself

superman as a beacon of hope in a shitsack world is my favorite
>>
>>67498164
>you can't have superman question hope
>you can't have batman be brutal and rage filled
>STOP TRYING NEW THINGS
>>
>>67498057

While i don't like the idea of Snyder at the helm of the DC Movie Universe, it's not the only one to blame. The idea to make BvS as the platform for the next movies stinks of corporative bullshit to catch up with Marvel as fast as possible. What would have been a second Superman movie, the introduction of the new Batman and the titular confrontation ended up being a single movie instead of 3.
>>
>>67498315
Too bad he wasn't a beacon of hope
>>
>>67498250
>DCucks still making excuses
>>
>>67498341
29/100, would laugh again
>>
>>67498292

this is now pretentious review language thread
>>
Its a Snyder film for gods sake
it does well in the box office, everyone hates it for 6 months, then we all come around to it
dont you all know this cycle by now
>>
>>67498164

i think it would be really unappealing for a character to not have any weakness whatsoever

like how superman supposed to be hopeful when everyone hates/questions every action/motive and takes literally every action as a political statement? saves a, why didnt he save b, hes racist. protects b, why does the man of steel favour b over a, prejudiced. etc etc. it would wear at him.
>>
File: 1382843195982.gif (1 MB, 225x124) Image search: [Google]
1382843195982.gif
1 MB, 225x124
>>67497997
How do you spend $500 million dollars filming some guys in a costume fighting?
>>
>>67498292
Where da wit at?
>>
>>67498512

cgi and advertising mate
>>
>>67498227
It's working for Marvel, isn't it? Marvel has built the highest-grossing film franchise in history over the past 10 years by doing nothing more than giving the audience exactly what they want.

>>67498315
As another anon said, he wasn't a beacon of hope. People are shown to find him terrifying, and he really doesn't do anything to try and alleviate that.

>>67498482
>like how superman supposed to be hopeful when everyone hates/questions every action/motive and takes literally every action as a political statement?

You don't write that movie in the first place. You wouldn't take Rambo - as in, the actual character, not simply a parody or pastiche - and try and write him into the plot of something like Micky Blue Eyes, filling the exact same role but in a universe that just doesn't have a place for him. You wouldn't take Al Pacino's Scarface character - again, the actual character, not simply something based on him - and try and force him into The Matrix, filling the exact same role without a real place for him.

Not every character works in every setting. This is writing 101 right here, guy.
>>
>>67497997
They should have used that $500mil to make 3 standalone films, then they could make a multi-character movie. This year we should have had a new Batman to draw everybody into the universe, then they there would be Suicide Squad. Next year we would have a Wonder Woman movie, then a movie Batman vs. Superman movie. Then they would just introduce a couple more side characters and then make a Justice League movie. Basically the Marvel approach. Marvel's cinematic universe approach worked well, although the movies are formulaic, they at least did a wonderful job of building the universe. There is just so much stuffed into DoJ, it's a mess. I don't see how anybody thought this movie was a good idea for the long run. I have little desire to watch the DC side-character movies because of the way DoJ turned out.
>>
>>67497997
>with a budget of almost half a billion dollars?
>It's a /tv/ doesn't know how budget costs work episode
>>
>>67498164
>atman that was true to the comics would show him as honestly believing that there will come a day where he can hang up his cape because Gotham doesn't need him anymore.

Well that's just fucking wrong. A Batman that's true to the comics will have Batman getting shot in the face at the age of seventy while trying to save the contents of a cash register or having a heart attack at his Batcompute while giving Terry advice. Batman will never stop, he can't
>>
Hack Snyder, I don't understand how there's people that like his movies
>>
>>67498555
>>67498292

God i hate movie critics. Get a real job!
>>
>>67498928

Because half ot those movies are good or okay. It's when he is given free reign that things fall apart.
>>
>>67498947

So they can help you rolling burgers?
>>
>>67498902
No, you missed the point.

Batman thinks he'll be able to hang up the cape one day because he will have fixed Gotham. He thinks it can be done - that Gotham can be fixed. I didn't mean that he'll retire once he reaches age 65 like the rest of working-class America, I meant that on a very fundamental level, Batman is an optimist, though he'd never admit that to anyone, least of all himself.

The fucking Nolan movies managed to get that and even to portray it subtlety in The Dark Knight. Remember the barge scene? Batman's plan for dealing with the barges wasn't disarming the bombs. It was faith that the people there wouldn't blow each other up - faith that on a fundamental level, with their backs to the wall, most people are good.
>>
>>67498164
The movie literally lived up to these exact descriptions of the characters.
>>
Only fuck ups are the hivemind critics
>>
Honestly, I'm pretty sure a fair amount of it is a ruse, though that's not to say that it doesn't deserve to be called shit.
>>
>>67499008

The nolan movies had Batman leave Gotham when it was an absolute shit show at the end of Rises
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.