[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously what magic did his movies have that TFA was lacking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: Lucas.jpg (2 MB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
Lucas.jpg
2 MB, 1333x2000
Seriously what magic did his movies have that TFA was lacking?

No matter how shitty the prequels were they always had parts that made you feel something
>>
>>68242060
jew jew doesn't know how to use williams properly

the music didnt make me feel anything until that part from burning homestead played when rey grabbed the lightsaber away from kylo
>>
>>68242060
lol no
you just have fond memories due to nostalgia
>>
>>68242360
Nah I really think it was the soundtrack
>>
George is very earnest in his work. He does what he thinks is best to create a memorable story and experience. Obviously he isn't always on point, but it's a sincere effort. JJ was just trying to paint by numbers to leave his mark and make some money.
>>
JJ Abrams is cancerous. He directs from his little accountant's desk, carefully calculating the safest routes to take, always proper, never allowing any sort of creativity to take life on screen. Zero heart and it shows in every movie.
>>
>>68242060
>No matter how shitty the prequels were
you are wrong
go aquire some taste and then come back, faggot
>>
>>68242622
Yeah indeed.

At least George took risks.
>>
>>68242644
AotC is shit no matter what you think of the other two
>>
>>68242060
>No matter how shitty the prequels were they always had parts that made you feel something

Yeah, AoTC made me feel "what the fuck am I doing watching this bullshit?"
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 450x250
>>68242060
It's a really good question, and it says volumes that no one can quite answer it.

Lucas does appear to take this Galaxy very seriously, so he'll spend time on Politics in order to build suspense or anticipation for some of the action. It's this lawfulness, or courtliness, which seems to be the most characteristic thing... It's not the simple bureaucratic chain of command found in Star Trek... It's something far more organic.

Plus, he was always a brilliant in the role of Producer.
>>
Feeling annoyed and embarrassed are technically feelings, so the prequils had that going for them
>>
>>68242060
>Seriously what magic did his movies have that TFA was lacking?
Being so bad that they were funny.
>>
Lucas didn't treat the subject like a joke
the whole way through the TFA the film is winking at the audience and nudging you in the ribs
>Han owes money
>I bypassed the technobabble that would make even star trek blush
>>
>>68242663
At least JJ made a good movie
>>
>>68242784
they were light hearted by they didn't make fun
there is an internal consistency
>>
>>68242830
Tentacle monsters? Seriously?
>>
>>68242741
Lucas is the GOAT ideas guy.
>>
>>68242112
John Williams hasn't done anything good since Munich.

I still don't know how the fuck War Horse and Lincoln got him oscar nominations.
>>
The reason why people like you and me didnt like it is because it wasnt made for star wars core fans. Star wars fans would have seen it no matter what. So JewJew marketed it towards the stongk female who dont need no man and niggers. Also thier was absolutly no risks taken in the plot and it was so much of a blantant ANH rip off that it was boring and predictable

Fuck jewjew
>>
File: 1448084685870.jpg (3 MB, 3750x4204) Image search: [Google]
1448084685870.jpg
3 MB, 3750x4204
>>68242860
>>
>>68242444
Trips don't lie.

>>68242518
I only saw the movie after bluray release and kind of expected the worst but found it generally enjoyable, not repeating prequel mistakes. Although Maz motion cap face is reminiscent of the EP6 jabbas palace band atrocity cgi shit show cringe fest, I appreciated the effort to use practical effects as much as possible.
>>
John Williams was actually challenged to make memorable music, Duel of the Fates was the result. TFA was Williams on cruise control having a heart attack on his way to Burger King
>>
>>68243086
They didn't even use London Symphony Orchestra for TFA.

Fucking lmao.
>>
File: image.jpg (357 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
357 KB, 1920x816
There's also a difference in that Lucas is making what are essentially silent films, not fluffy corporate propaganda for Hillary...
>>
>>68242518
>Obviously he isn't always on point
This is an absolutely aggregious understatement. For every good ideathat made it into the OT there is a mountain of bad ideas that George lucas wanted to put in. For example in Empire, lucas didn't want to use a puppet for yoda because he thought it would look stupid. His alternative was to use a trained monkey in a yoda mask. He originally wanted obi wan to be a midget, and in return of the jedi he originaly wrote an ending that had luke slay his father at which point he would put on vaders helmet and declare himself the new darth vader. Lucas's production team constantly had to reel him back from the edge of batshit crazy
>>
The magic is called "collaboration"

many people, with many talents

working together, to create something greater than the sum of it's parts

A genius of special effects

a talented screenwriter

a gifted editor

and from nothing we have MAGIC

Place any one of them solely in control, surrounded by kow-towing yes men ... and you have ...

THE PREQUELS

George is not without talent. But he is not a Polymath.
>>
>>68243086
Duel of the Fates blew my mind as a kid. Probably the most memorable sequence in the entire prequel trilogy.
>>
>>68242060

George Lucas was a nerd. I'm saying this as a good thing. He believed in the world he created and thus believed in the characters. Believed it could all be real. So he treated the material with respect and gave the characters emotions. He might have made characters stupid and give them cringy lines, but you could still put yourself in the story and believe in it. You connected to the Star Wars universe and its people and that's what made you feel something.

Star Wars TFA? It has no soul and the characters behave like they KNOW they're in a movie. They're quipping all over the place, when they're in danger they behave comically as if to entertain the audience. At no point in the movie did it appear like these characters were part of the universe they were in. It resembled a Saturday Night Live sketch but it did not resemble Star Wars.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 600x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 600x609
He's very conscious of genre traditions, cultural shifts like cloning or drones, and of generation gaps.

Apparently the generation gap notion is a more American concept, because there is supposedly less deference to elders in Europe than there was.

He has a larger memory for things like mythological traditions as a result of reading Campbell at length.
>>
>>68242915
>>68242741

>take this Galaxy very seriously
>Darth Icky
>>
>>68242060
>they always had parts that made you feel something

prequels are good meme plz die
>>
>>68243327
It was a joke you fool.
>>
>>68242060
>No matter how shitty the prequels were they always had parts that made you feel something

False.
>>
>>68243483
ur false
>>
>>68243245
Good poem.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 1280x544
Spielberg and Lucas have both spent a lot of time looking at American traditional artists as well.

http://youtu.be/w3oMGC1Vxds
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>68243792
Really stupid question coming in. So stupid I should probably be banned. Why is TPM grainy? That's something I've always loved about it.
>>
>>68243763
>Jar jar next to Sheev

He was hinting at soemthing
>>
>>68243889
They used film instead of digital
>>
JJ's movies always have to be moving. The pacing is always fast and you never have time to let it sink in.
Also, George directs like he's directing a play and you feel like you're looking in at these people's lives through a window. JJ's movies, on the other hand, expertly utilize blocking and that makes you feel like you're there with the characters experiencing things as they are.
they just different thas all
>>

does disdain count

are we really seeing a growing number of teens who grew up watching the prequels mistaking nostalgia for these shit movies for something good
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 542x691) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 542x691
>>68243889
Not a stupid question at all... Eyes Wide a Shut used film grain to great effect, before it was 'cleaned up' against the late director's wishes.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=65251
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.