[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horace and Pete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
http://qz.com/660235/louis-c-k-tried-to-buck-the-tv-system-and-now-hes-millions-of-dollars-in-debt/

What went wrong, /tv/?
Can we learn something from this?
The only things I enjoyed from the show were Buscemi, Falco and Alda, they carried the show pretty heavily; did you like the show?
>>
I enjoyed it
I also didn't pay a single penny
>>
>>68231712
Neither did I, so I guess we are what went wrong
>>
File: 9a7[1].jpg (303 KB, 795x1192) Image search: [Google]
9a7[1].jpg
303 KB, 795x1192
JUST
>>
he's literally earned back all his debt already by going on a single comedy tour. dude's not in any trouble.
>>
the lesson is that if you have some idea that's burning to get out, you should be mindful of what resources from the world you need to make it happen

you want to make an unconventional show? great that you don't want to make formulaic shit

it requires legendary actors and space in New York City? fuck you
>>
>>68232087
this and he can just go to fx with a new season for louie. hes a brave starving artist
>>
>tried to buck the tv system
>buck
They know
>>
i liked the first episode but desu don't feel like spending $30 for it. I know, it's cheap i'm am entitled neckbeard, etc, but I can't afford that for every season of tv i wanna watch.
>>
>>68232532
so pirate it like reasonable people do. H&P really is a phenomenal show that demonstrates the art of american realism didn't die at the turn of the century.
>>
>>68232532
nigga this is different. you aren't paying a corporation you're paying a JUSTed poor man

have a heart
>>
He didn't promote it until recently because he like the idea of it just appearing out of the blue.
>>
>>68231524
he tried to be innovative and almost arrogant with his marketing by not having marketing and expecting people to just pay for it anyway. You have to play the game a little and milk it if you want peoples attention. especially now with people being so used to pirating and getting shit for free
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvs-3dDdgo

he got cocky and it didn't pay off this time
>>
>>68232532
>>68232789
>>68232929
pretty much these. The sad thing is I totally agree with the whole "shows give away too much in the trailer, leaving no mystery and I loose interest" thing but there are better ways to do it
>>
I literally didn't even know it existed until I learned he went into debt for it.

He deleted his twitter, so that's kind of his fault.
>>
Why the fuck didn't he sell it to Netflix, Prime, FX, or any other outlet instead of charging per episode?
Shit's like some outdated business model from the late 90's.
>>
>>68232087
Plus he gets any future money it makes when he puts out Blu-Rays or sells rights to Netflix or television.
>>
>>68233066
He wanted to see how well he would do with zero marketing and zero investors. He can and probably will sell it to a network, put it on iTunes, etc.
>>
>>68231524
1) make poorly made neighbor theater quality production into tv show
2) make all characters fundamentally unlikable
3) make the play unrelentingly depressing
4) sink millions of own wealth into the production of said play
5) put play on the interwebs as ppv
6) do zero advertising
7) ?????
>8) lose millions of dollars
>>
>>68231524
How did that shitty show cost that much to produce? It looks pretty cheap and basic.
>>
>>68233471
This, what the fuck, it's literally theater-tier.
>>
>>68233500
Cast, crew, production team, stage, insurance, etc adds up
I think a standard television show budget is $2 mil per ep
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.