[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate: Prometheus (2012)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 20160412_215342.png (300 KB, 476x692) Image search: [Google]
20160412_215342.png
300 KB, 476x692
4/10 Visually this film is great but apart from that and Michael Fassbenders performance, it is absolutely terrible. None of the characters are developed or have any sort of personality, they constantly keep making idiotic decisions for the sake of the plot. The makeup for Weyland is some of the worst I have ever seen in a big budget film. Idris Elba delivers the worst performance of his entire career, his American accent was god awful. Charlize Theron is completely lifeless and bland.
>>
>>68199483
3/10 for all the reasons you mentioned + the fact that it shit on Alien and completely undermined what made the original movie so scary

>huurrr durrr the alieb wasnt an alieb lmao it wuz rly just a weapon it had to do with humans the whole time we r special also zombies lol
>>
>>68199483
I never even watched Alien movies before Prometheus. I guess that makes me a huge pleb. Anyways I love this genre of the "near future" I guess you would say. I liked the movie. I liked the ship and the tech. I thought it was literally hilarious when the old guy is just BTFO by the architect coming all the way to mars after spending billions of dollars. I was certainly the only guy in the theatre laughing his head off. The fight with the monster is also cool. 7/10.
>>
>>68199732
This post is perfect
>>
>someone doesn't like prometheus
>they list off a bunch of objectively wrong criticisms

every time
>>
>>68199483
>Idris Elba and Charlize Theron
Those two stuck out like a sore thumb. It's like Scott told them not to even think about trying to act until the movie was nearing its climax.

Elba's character in particular. He's the pilot and as far as we know has been in the ship the entire time doing jack squat. Unless the other crew told him what was going on, his sudden knowledge and opinion of the whole situation seemed completely out of place.
>>
>>68199483

This was a frustrating movie for me, because it's so easy to see the great movie it could've been. I think the whole concept is brilliant, visual design is top-notch, I literally can't understand HOW they could've put so much work into some aspects of the film, and yet allowed such a half-assed screenplay to make it to production.

The main ideas are solid, but the connective tissue is weak as hell. Inconsistent character development, illogical plotting, the script is just a total hack job. I don't understand how shit like this gets past a team of top-notch professional producers and filmmakers when any idiot on IMDB could pick this shit apart and tell you exactly where the problems are.
>>
>>68200237

Are you actually implying that if he stayed on the ship he couldn't form on opinion over what was going on? Are you retarded?
>>
>>68200237
>Unless the other crew told him what was going on, his sudden knowledge and opinion of the whole situation seemed completely out of place.
He had audio/video from their suits right in the cockpit.

Right in the cockpit.
>>
>>68200307
The issue is that they made a smart, realistic movie which looks stupid and unrealistic to people who are stupid, such as you. Criticisms of this movie sound like satire.

>hurr durr why yu scared of a dead body and not a snake?!

Not only do people who dislike this movie not understand how humans operate on even the most basic level, they fail to even apply their real life experiences with people toward acceptance that the portrayals are accurate, even if they don't understand it.
>>
>>68200405
Well fuck me. I just remember this movie being more half-baked than anything, it's sort of easy to forget about the little details or the characters who weren't directly messing around with the alien shit.
>>
>>68200627
Forgetting the little details in this movie makes it worse than what anons around here say about it.
>>
>>68200415

Hey Damon. Didn't know you posted here
>>
6/10. I think the whole film is pretty bland - especially visually (like most Scott films). I watched it in 2D and still found a lot of scenes to be far too dark and flatly lit. I liked some scenes, especially that self-surgery scene, but overall didn't really enjoy much of it.
>>
>>68200415
>hurr durr why yu scared of a dead body and not a snake?!
Well, why was he?
>>
>>68201295

Asking that question means you apparently never learned to use your brain. It's so unfathomably stupid that it's almost difficult to explain why. Human fear is not a rational process, people don't write down the characteristics of each thing and then compare them. Witnessing an eight foot tall humanoid alien corpse would elicit strong emotions from every single person who observed it. Some would be terrified, some would be fascinated, most would probably be a combination of both. Everyone would have their entire perception of the universe turned upside down. Seeing a comparatively simple snake-like organism after that experience would be fucking nothing. Have you literally ever figured out anything on your own in your entire life?
>>
>>68199483
WHY DO YOU KEEP POSTING THIS KID, PLEASE STOP MR PEDO
>>
>>68201711
This^

Op you're supposed to start this thread with pic related and a variation of any of these
>Why was there an axe?
>Why was there an axe again?
>DUDE SPACE AXE LMAO
>What did she mean by this?
>SCOTT IS A HACK
>Why would there be an axe?
>Who brings an axe to space?
>>
File: Axe the right questions.jpg (49 KB, 650x406) Image search: [Google]
Axe the right questions.jpg
49 KB, 650x406
>>68202093
Whoops forgot the pic
>>
>>68201539
Why are you arguing about human nature in a discussion over proper script writing?
>>
8/10

Prometheus is the ultimate pleb test
Muh plot holes!!!

Once they land on the planet, they are in hell. That explains the whole plot. Thats why the next movie was literally called Paradise Lost before it was changed

fucking duh
>>
>>68202137

The two are only separate if you're writing movies for idiots. Like I said, Prometheus' only mistake was not accounting for its audience being largely stupid. If you're not stupid, there's no red flag when scientist man is afraid of the corpse but not the snake. Not even the slightest arousal of suspicion over the quality of the writing, because I understand inherently how the human mind works. And even if I didn't, I could just refer to countless real life examples where people are terrified of a spider but will drive 120 in their car or something.
>>
>>68202334
That doesn't make any sense. Shitty writing can be perfectly believable. How the human mind works is entirely irrelevant. When you're trying to build tension, you don't have characters respond in wildly different ways that pull the audience out of what's happening on screen.

Being able to rationalize a character's behavior doesn't mean that behavior was appropriate. The movie is a thriller, not an examination of people's sometimes strange and contradictory responses various situations.
>>
>>68202482
The point is that you're seeing an issue where an issue doesn't exist.
>>
>>68202563
I just explained to you the issue. You seem to think the complaint is in regards to believability. It is not. It's about what builds tension and what takes it away. Obvious contrivances designed to imperil your characters does not make for a tense scene.
>>
I'm tense waiting for the next reply
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.