[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just marathoned the LOTR series for the first time. What the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 18
File: well done jackson.gif (498 KB, 500x258) Image search: [Google]
well done jackson.gif
498 KB, 500x258
Just marathoned the LOTR series for the first time.

What the absolute FUCK was this part? This was cringe on par with "I rebel" and "'I'm known to be quite vexing"
>>
its sad because the line was great when the movie came out/especially when it was written but has been retroactively ruined by sjws
>>
So people wouldn't complain about MUH LACK OF FEMALES.
>>
>>68185143

> I cringed

ultra-sensitive delicate little flower detected.
>>
>>68185143
Nah m8, you're a faggot. LOTR is a timeless classic, go back to 9gag.
>>
>>68185143

>muh girl power!

This was in the books too right?

This was the worst scene of the entire trilogy. If feels so forced.
>>
>>68185143
>ywn live in a fantasy world with only white people

Watching the trilogy is painful now
>>
what she actually said is way better but would never work in a movie

>Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

>A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

>A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

>"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

>Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I!"
>>
She was half demon.
>>
>>68185143
>mfw Tolkien loving his wife as an equal triggers virgins here
>>
How did Tolkien handle women in the books?

I remember some royal/beautiful/magical characters like Galadriel, but no fighting women.

Then again he did other anachronisms like potatoes and tobacco.
>>
>>68185207
>>68185207
>>68185207

THIS

SJWs weren't prolific back then.

>>68185143

It was more on, SURPRISE! I'm not a man and your immortal clause said no man can kill you tee hee

More on those lines if anything.

LOTR is shit though
>>
What was wrong with it op?

This is an example of a well written female character. She tries to be independent, insists she can fight and help defend her people, yet still lusts for the cock of the king.

Even though her part in the love triangle felt a little forced, it isn't even close to what defines her as a character. The things she does, she does for selfless and noble reasons. She was written as a strong female from the moment you see her.
>>
>>68185302
>dragon capeshit
>timeless classic
>>
>>68185401
Good one faggot
>>
OP confirmed for never reading the books.
OP confirmed for 16 years old.
>>
>>68185143
Its from Beowulf originally though.
>>
>>68185554
Yes it was.

It is much longer in the books, and more literate and epic sounding (as most lines of dialogues in these books), but it's still the premise of the witch king using the word "man" as a generic for human, and her pulling that clever pun about not being a man, and "slaying" him.

It is Merry though who really slays the Witch King, in a way, because when he stabbed him, he did so with a blade that was made in Numenor, centuries before, and that has the power to dispel the magic that holds the Witch King's human soul to the world (human souls leave the world when humans die, and no one knows where they go, which isn't the case for elves).
>>
File: original.jpg (28 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
28 KB, 600x600
>mfw harad horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLyaCgbEGIo
>>
>>68185554
It was literally posted 6 posts above
>>
>>68185143

About exact quote from books you fucking cuck.
>>
>>68185946
>hack fraud Tolkien wrote it so it must be good!
>>
>>68185691
It's actually from Macbeth. Tolkien thinks the "no man of woman's born" trope in Macbeth where said person is a man born of cesarean is a shitty cop out. So he goes with "no living man" = "woman" which was a stroke of genius.

Its a great scene, too bad they couldn't hide the fact the warrior was Eowyn (which would be impossible to do) like in the books.
>>
I own these books but I've never finished reading them. I try every 5-6 years.

What's the best way to read them in this world of 4chan and smartphones and capeshit?

Sit down in the woods? Get comfy by the fire?
>>
>>68185352
Loving your wife as an equal means that you think she'd be good in medieval style combat? Is feminism about women being physically strong?
>>
>>68185143
There is only one thing I hate about the trilogy...
Why the fuck do the Pelennor Fields have to look like a Mongolian steppe?
>>
>>68186034
Killing yourself might be the best solution
>>
>>68186034
Sit your ass down and don't get distracted every five minutes like the ADHD retard you are.
>>
File: disastergirl.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
disastergirl.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>68186067

Well, time to burn down a forest. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: image.png (87 KB, 684x576) Image search: [Google]
image.png
87 KB, 684x576
>>68185911
>you will never enjoy your job and life as much those mumakil riders
>>
>>68185453
>dragon capeshit
Are you fucking serious? There are NO dragons in LOTR. Ringwraiths? Yes. Trolls? Absolutely. Orcs, goblins, walking talking trees, giant elephants lazily named with multiple tusks? You fuckin' bet.
But there are NO FUCKING DRAGONS in the Lord of the Rings.
You can call it Ringshit if you want, Orcshit, Fellowshit, Hobbitshit, or Manshit, but don't fucking insult it by demeaning it with 'dragons'
>>
>>68185993

Pretty much. A very powerful episode.

Of course Eowyn could have been made to shoot lasers from her eyes, I dunno. Artistic licence.
>>
>>68186087

Don't say that like it's my fault. Watching 2001: A Space Odyssey on a computer now is MUCH more difficult than watching it in the cinema in 1968. That doesn't mean people now are any better or worse than those in 1968, it's just that culture and technology has changed.
>>
>>68186071
It means your virtuous enough to fight even if you are weak. The hobbits do the same thing. The whole lotr is about Christian virtue and that includes hidden strength in meekness.
>>
>First time watching LOTR is in 2016

Your own fault pal
>>
>>68185143

It's not like she was inserted last minute to appease some diversity quota. She was a well written character and had a few memorable lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpk4VqGO_Us

However, SJWs and extremist misogynists (one in the same really) try to use it to further their agendas.
>>
>>68186141

Fucking this. That quick scene of the mumakil chieftain blowing his horn as they charge into battle is one of my favorite shots, he's just having the time of his damn life.
>>
>>68185946
so? how is it good, just because it was in the book?
>>
>three-foot tall halflings (with no combat training) holding their own in combat is OK
>human women (with combat training) holding their own in combat is not OK

/tv/, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>68186034
get ready for a lot of boring desriptions and meandering plot
>>
File: 1395592934646.jpg (23 KB, 431x506) Image search: [Google]
1395592934646.jpg
23 KB, 431x506
>>68186379

I'm not going into this. There's no progress or benefit to be had.
>>
>>68186406
Both are stupid
>>
>>68186427

The descriptions are what I hated as a kid but I appreciate more now as an adult.

It's like playing Morrowind: the background lore is far more interesting than walking for half an hour and throwing the occasional fireball at a Cliff Racer.
>>
>>68186454

Yet both are essential to LOTR. What are you doing here if you think LOTR is stupid?
>>
>>68185143
What do you call people born after 2000?
>>
>>68186527

children
>>
>>68185143

Hello my good friend! How are you doing today?

It appears you suffer from autism.It is a very serious condition and one that can have adversely negative effects on your ability to live life to its fullest.

I suggest you seek the aid of a psychiatrist so that you may one day be able to function somewhat normally.Best of luck to you!
>>
>>68186520
Not every element of the series is stupid. That's why i'm here.
>>
>>68186441
This is the most tumblr post i've read in weeks. You HAVE to be a woman.
>>
>>68186454
As long as she's over five feet and strong/trained enough to use her weapons, it doesn't matter that much that she's a woman. The quality and type of weapon would be more important against a man of equal training (unless he's a 6' 5" brute or something).

e.g. if she had a spear and was in one-on-one combat with a 5' 10" man with a sword, he is going to die, woman or not.

The issue is that historically we didn't train women to fight, but this is a fantasy world, so whatever. She'd have some disadvantages because of size, but that's about it.
>>
File: 1460402137830.jpg (8 KB, 176x177) Image search: [Google]
1460402137830.jpg
8 KB, 176x177
>>68186520
>essential

Besides, you have to keep in mind that the strength of orcs come from their numbers, not the quality of their equipment
>>
That cozy feel when currently listening to the audiobooks.
>>
>>68186441
because you have no answer. You just had a kneejerk reaction "BUT MUH BOOK!!!".
That doesnt mean anything for the movie. It only means that there is a cringeworthy line in the book, too
>>
>>68186652
>listening to books
Top pleb.
>>
>>68186481
well, maybe you could be right. I didnt read those books since I was 15
>>
>>68185143
You're probably pissed about any female role you fag, no where near as bad as i rebel

An old prophecy said no man would kill the witch king. All who tried got extra fucked up, eventually the prophecy was right and it was a woman who killed him
It was dramatic as fuck, she almost saves her pops. Plus her whole character was to be defiant and a warrior despite everyone telling her she couldnt because she was a woman
>>
>>68186527
stereotypical millenials
>>
>>68186619
>not the quality of their equipment

There's a bit of disparity here since Tolkien also wrote that orcs were pretty good at doing stuff that are practical but at the same time ugly and crude. Not as good as the other races but neither stuff that broke all the time. Basically it was the difference between industrialized orc work and handicraft made by other races, and it was a parallel of Tolkien's own dislike of industrialization.
>>
>>68186652
Listen to the BBC Radio adaptation instead. It's super good.
>>
In the book she was suicidal over being spurned by aragorn for a elf, and served as nothing but a distraction so pippin (or merry?) could stab the lich king in the back of the leg with a dagger specifically created to kill/disperse liches.

In the movie, since its never established that pippin/merry stumbled across weapons specifically designed to kill liches, it looks like "man" meant "person with penis" rather than member of the race of Men, of which eowen was definitely a member, despite her tits.

So in the book, it was more or less a "you stupid bitch" moment. For a character that was nothing but a stupid bitch pining over king-dick. If you read the book, that came across well in the movie. Thankfully the internet is filled with idiots so the scene became "girl powah" instead of "holy shit this bitch gonna die."
>>
>>68186697

I do it while driving to and from work senpai. Makes my commute so much easier to stand and I barely have time for leisure activities between being a wagecucks and a serial masturbator.
>>
>>68186619

Halfings do more than just fight off retarded orcs. Probably the most famous example being Sam killing the giant rape spider.
>>
>>68186609
This is a very stupid, naive post. First, the weight of medieval weapons were artificially increased in order to cause more blunt damage; so the momentum of the swing mattered, hence soldiers needing muscles. There's something to be said for women in physical combat in circumstances where people aren't wearing heavy armor, but even then male physical superiority isn't just in physical strength; there's a reason why very few sports are mixed. Stuff like reaction time and general spacial awareness differs between the two genders.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
196 KB, 1920x1080
>>68186143
>manshit

*SNIFF SNIFF*
>>
>>68185318
can some one translate this? I don't speak nerd.
>>
>>68185318
that exchange was actually in the animated movie, and holy fuck was it terrible.
>>
>>68187045

ye its book material through and through
>>
>>68186697
>he doesn't listen to books while watching movies at 2.5x speed
>>
>>68186185
I haven't read Tolkien, but if his conception of strength is merely physical, then he's not a very creative guy.
>>
>>68185207
no it wasn't
>>
>>68186947
Didn't she just impale herself on his dick sword ?

And I don't remember her dying (we're talking about Shelob right ?)
>>
>>68187130
Just fuck off back to /mu/, rancid tripshitter.
>>
>>68187200
>thinks that genre writers like Tolkien are good
Why do you try reading actual literature for once?
>>
>>68187130

Tolkien is exactly what >>68186185 he said. Proving you are strong beyond simple physical strenght. You're just arguing in circles.
>>
>>68187246
>replying to tripfags
1st mistake
>replying to this particular fudge packer
2nd mistake
>>
>>68187189

Oh right, she does just get hurt. My mistake. Still, how the fuck did Sam hold his own against her? Point is, LOTR is filled with improbably heroes.
>>
File: 1450500052881.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450500052881.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>68185382
>anachronisms
>>
>>68185143
I thought "I'm known to be quite vexing" was pretty funny actually, only line I've snickered at in the trailers thus far. "I am no man" isn't so bad, but her fucking war cry was comical.
>>
>>68187346
He didn't, really. He got her to stab the shit out of herself.
>>
A pale skinned brat with twig for arms brought down an oliphant by slashing it tendons through its thick skin one-handedly by riding under it ontop of a horse who barely has any momentum steered by a goddamn hobbit, decapitated a fucking Nazgul with two swings which I assume the most ferocious of the bunch since its belong to the Witch King and tanked a fucking full strength blow from an enraged immortal who just lost his fucking pet and escape only with splintered bone. The 'I am no man' part make sense because she just answering the witch king, but the scene leading up to it is just stupid
>>
>>68185314
It was actually a pretty clever way to fulfill the witch king prophecy. He was fated to never be killed by a man. He thought this meant he was never going to be killed, instead his doom is at the hands of a woman and a halfling with a dagger specifically enchanted to hurt the witch king.

Its like MacBeth not being "born from a woman"
>>
>>68187246
There's something to be said for gallantry and self-sacrifice, but they aren't synonymous with the Christian conception of meekness. Like I can see someone sacrificing themselves in the tradition of Jesus, but I have trouble with fiction that suggests that heroism is the defining quality of a good warrior, and that it can overcome physical strength in combat. It's fantasy, so it doesn't matter. You can just explain it with magic or some shit. But that's why I dislike genre so much.

>>68187293
What are you so angry about?
>>
>>68185382
>anachronisms
Other inaccuracies you might have not picked up on:
Elves, hobbits, dwarves, dragons, trolls, magic, undead, wizards, orcs, uruk, goblins, giant spiders, Middle Earth, magic rings, mithril, giant sentient eagles, immortal souls.
>>
File: 1354746813034.jpg (26 KB, 529x399) Image search: [Google]
1354746813034.jpg
26 KB, 529x399
Fellowship of the Ring was a motion picture

Two Towers was a movie

Retun of the Kings was a film

Prove me wrong you cant
>>
>>68187836
Return of the King was the worst of the three
>>
>>68187514

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJirrzRQ60

On second watch, it's pretty clear he held his own rather than Shelob just landing on the sword. He activated level 5 Evasion followed by Execute.
>>
>>68187815
Elves are people with elfin syndrome, dwarves are midgets, trolls are bullies on online message boards.
>>
This has gone too far.
What are gonna complain about next? Aliens is SJW trash too because Vasquez is tough?
Who fucking cares its a movie. She only beat him because a magical prophecy no man could kill him. It's monkey's paw level dramatic irony.
Hardly seems a reflection of 21st century gender politics
>>
>>68188139

>Aliens is SJW trash too because Vasquez is tough?

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT ANON, LEAVE VASQUEZ ALONE.
>>
>>68185207
Womyn power lines have always been cringe.
>>
>>68185143
It was rather silly even in the book, even if it toyed with the idea that prophecies are unpredictably specific. Man with a capital M in LotR refers to mankind, so while the prophecy was "no man will kill the Witch-King" it was interpreted as "no Man will kill the Witch-King".

In the Swedish translation, known worldwide as possibly the worst translation in history, it was Merryn who killed him.
>>
>>68187858
At least it didn't have the sleep-inducing ent scenes.
>>
>>68188440
Actually no human being able to kill him would have been better than this shit.
>>
>>68188440
I hate it even in Macbeth. "No man born of a woman," as if having a caesarean section makes you childless. It's cheesy. It's like one of those linguistic jokes where a genie misinterprets your wish.
>>
>>68185143
>I am no man

we already knew that. someone send hackson back to pointless dialogue 101
>>
File: woman.jpg (92 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
woman.jpg
92 KB, 640x427
>>68185143
>>
>>68188643
It was in the book, you fucking retard.
>>
>>68189028
we already knew that. someone send anon back to bait 101.
>>
>>68189088
>everyone on 4chan is one person
kys
>>
>>68189159
that... seems a tad incongruent, but i'll accept it as a retort and consider our exchange here to be concluded.
>>
>>68186872
except your summary lacks the fact that in books characters can have more innate depth than "stupid whiny bitch 'cause some guy picked an elf over me"

in the books she's rebellious and a black sheep not because of shallow reasons, but because her guardian/father figure is a decrepit old man who can't keep his shit together, the only man she's met outside of her family is a king in another land (who is halfway decent looking, a nice guy, and a warrior- so what the fuck you think she's going to do, NOT fall in love instantly with him?), but said only man in her life likes an elf he's destined to love. talk about a case of blue balls in life. Oh, and she can swing a sword because she's not a blushing daisy.

so she has the biggest case of blueballs you could imagine, and with the end of the world nigh on top of her she's told, "yeah, you gotta stay behind," by her love interest, her father figure, and her brother.

anyone in her place with her history would be like, "yeah no, i'm not going to wait here and let you all die without me. if i'm dying it's not going to be after i've been raped stupid by half the orcs in the kingdom, you dicks."

so she suits up, and remember, she's not the only suicidal fuckhead. pretty much everyone at this point expects to die. she's just another face. then lo and behold she runs into the witch king, and when he tells her no man will stop him, she's internally just like, "are you fucking kidding me? if i were a man things would be so much fucking better!" and tears off her helm and screams at him.

she dealt the killing blow. the hobbit only opened the witchking up for the killing blow.

it's also worth noting if she'd stayed home that day the entire fate of middle earth would have changed.

also, note that once she has hope, and someone to invest herself in (faramir), she stops being suicidal, and settles down.

she's not a sjw, she's the exact opposite

i took the bait
>>
>>68189252
I appreciate you admitting defeat.
>>
>>68189282
I wonder how Tolkien fans got the reputation of being autistic nerds
>>
>>68189282
>Oh, and she can swing a sword because she's not a blushing daisy.
It's funny how you can tell the gender of a poster just by the way they type.
>>
>>68189371

I didn't read his post either.
>>
>>68189345
i don't believe anything of consequence happened but i can see how it might be fun to imagine there being some sort of power play going on between anons right now. you keep at it, friend. go now, and destroy your opponents with tactful debate and banter.
>>
>>68187030
End yourself
>>
>>68185207
Yep. It's all about forcing SJW propaganda now.

Kasdan said in an interview that he and JJ asked themselves what it would be like if the Nazis had gone to Argentina and regrouped after WWII.

From birth, Jews are raised with this idea that homogeneous white societies will inevitably result in goose-stepping, ethnic cleansing, and warmongering. And I could understand that outlook if history had begun in 1930. But the truth is, whites are the most egalitarian and least barbaric group in human history.

That's what frustrates many of us when jewish SJW Hollywood sensibilities become accepted norms. They're slanted, prejudiced and their bias goes unchallenged by everyone.

The First Order was a Jewish take on ultimate evil. And because modern Jews are obsessed with The Shoah and WWII everything magically relates to MUH SIX MILLION.

It has gotten boring. It's stale. I wish we could get a more nuanced view of evil, but that won't happen because show-biz Jews always find a way of politicizing everything.

Like, recently I saw a movie set in 1920s London. There were several shots of a black man and a white woman walking as a couple in the street. It was there to sell us something. It was out of place and revisionist. It's tacky and it's condescending.

The objective is to shape public opinion with the assumption that everyone needs "educating" and are too dumb to pick up on the flagrant advertising of their agenda. In this case, it was a short throwaway scene and it still took me out of the movie. The message is basically, "You're too dumb to find the right opinions by yourself, so we're going to give you direction by placing propaganda in the media you consume."

SJW placement just seems dishonest and manipulative. Flagrant product placement annoys me whether it's a product I like or not. It takes me out of the ride that it should be, pauses everything to remind me what I'm supposed to think, and then expects me to jump back in with full enthusiasm.
>>
>>68187346
>how the fuck did Sam hold his own against her?
Purity of heart.

She also impales herself on the sword. In the book it even goes so far as to say the mightiest warrior swinging the sword wouldn't have done shit to her, it was her own body weight that caused the injury.

Shelob was also wounded and off balance by the light of galadriel's phial. The children of Ungoliant were born to a total blackness, and the light was essentially the captured light from the silmaril Earendil carried in the sky.
>>
>>68185143
>ITT: No one read the books
The scene is very different in the book.
It's NOT a prophesy or a curse or anything like that. A man totally could kill the Witch King, but he is an arrogant fuck.
So, no, it's not a loophole.
>>
File: sadfrog.png (11 KB, 289x288) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.png
11 KB, 289x288
>>68189774
>reading

what the fuck are you some sort of sjw?
>>
>>68189774

what? it is a prophecy

>They did not meet the Witch-king at Fornost, but on the plains west of it toward Lake Evendim, home of the ancient kings of Arnor, Annúminas. The battle would forever be known as the Battle of Fornost. Eärnur's Dúnedain army was later joined in the mists of battle by Glorfindel and his Elven army from Rivendell. The Witch-king revealed himself and challenged Eärnur. As Eärnur attempted to attack, his horse was overwhelmed with fear of the Nazgûl lord and bucked. The Witch-king, taunting Eärnur, fled the battlefield. When Eärnur attempted to follow, Glorfindel stopped him with a warning that would become prophetic in the future:

>"Do not pursue him! He will not return to these lands. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man shall he fall."

>The Witch-king, having destroyed the North-kingdom, fled the North. Angmar was left leaderless and soon collapsed.
>>
>>68189774
>It's NOT a prophesy or a curse or anything like that.
Bullshit. Glorfindel told it to Eärnur in the first fucking age when he was about to chase after him when he was on the ropes saying He will not return to this land. "Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."

So who is the one who didn't read the books?
>>
>>68189865
When did THIS take place?
>>
>>68189929
First age you goofy cuck. It's in the appendices of lord of the rings.
>>
>>68186143
>it's a sequel to a book that prominently features a dragon

Yeah okay
>>
>>68185143
The purpose of that line in the book was to reveal that the warrior standing in front of the Witch King was in fact Eowyn, as up to that point it hadn't been revealed yet. She had given a fake name to Merry and it was assumed that she was just some young, undersized male rider.
>>
>>68189970
Ah, I based it off written stuff, not the appendix. Would have been more meaningful without the prophesy crap. Oh well, I was wrong. but based on the scene it takes place, it DOES sound better than the Jackson version.
>>
File: frodo.jpg (89 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
89 KB, 400x399
>>68190052
>young, undersized male rider

then why did tolkien feel it necessary to describe in great detail her swinging pendulous breasts beating against either side of Merry's head with each and every stride of the horse?
there's ten pages of this smut. did anyone actually read this crap?
>>
>>68189929
>>68189970
not in the First Age. It's around 1975 or something in the Third Age IIRC.
>>
>>68189774
What he means when he says no man can kill him is that is soul doesn't leave the world, as it does for every other man, because Sauron is holding it with some magic. That's what dying means in Middle-Earth, leaving Arda (elves never leave Arda). When the Witch King body is destroyed, like it was by Elrond and his Vilya magic in the river, his soul returns to Mordor and is soon embodied again.

When Merry stabs the Witch King, the blade he uses is from Numenor and dispels the magic of Sauron. The Witch's King soul is no longer bound, and immediately after that Eowyn destroy its body. He leaves Arda like every other humans, going only God knows where.

I don't know what happened to the 8 other nazguls. They probably were set free too when Sauron was defeated.
>>
>>68190266

what about the scene where galadriel rapes sam? tolkien was a kinky old man
>>
>>68187543
underrated post. This is a good part if it wasnt for SJW shit making it seem all feminazi
>>
>>68187030
Seriously. Is it meant to be a chore to comprehend to non-aurists? Did stoners in the 70s actually read and comprehend this?
>>
>>68190341
and I don't think it was necessary to have a sequence where a giant spider pumps eggs into Sam's butthole while milking his cock with its scary spider mouth. Don't forget this book predates the internet. He must have been a very disturbed individual.
>>
>>68185207
>hurr durr i am a retard, my enjoyments are dependent to other people's opinions
>>
>SJWs hate LOTR because muh Bechdel test, muh lack of PoC characters
>/pol/ hates LOTR because muh strong womyn

Good, get fucked the lot of you
>>
>>68185315

literally move to kansas
>>
/pol/ is so bored, they are trying to attack lotr.
holy kek, you are so pathetic /pol/.
are you upset because witchking turned to bitch king and screamed like a bitch in his final moments?
>>
>>68190492
>/pol/ hates LOTR because muh strong womyn
Do they really? There aren't a bunch of them, although I agree that Beren was a total beta and Luthien was actually more alpha than him. They probably didn't fuck often.
>>
>>68187969
>movie

read a book nigga
>>
>>68190399
People used to read books.
>>
>>68187231
You filthy shitposter, you just said you hadn't read any, so why should anyone take your opinion seriously? Fuck off retard.
>>
>>68190563
>>68190492
fuck off you false flagging libs
>>
do you think hobbit buttholes are really greasy disgusting shit nests like a dwarf's or is it more of a dry, bare, sandy hole?
>>
>>68190492
>boy isn't great just shitting on everyone for having opinions

Fence sitting nigger.
>>
>>68190185
it vaguely mentions the prophecy in the story proper, but it is explained in the appendices, which are super rewarding reads for any and all lorefags.

Its got all kinds of flavor that informs the rest of the story, and based helm hammerhand is my favorite story in the whole series (he got his name because he punched a dude so hard that it took him three days to die). Or the knight-errant adventures of Aragorn before the events of the book. A whole chapter is just spent talking about what happened to the hobbits after the story ends (so comfy). As well as what happened at Dale and Erebor during the war of the ring.

You can scan through linguistic analysis or processional blood lines, but its got tons of good stuff. It's like a diet silmarillion.
>>
>>68190621
I have an earned bias against genre literature. I assume it's bad. And I lied; I actually have read Tolkien. I read the Hobbit as a kid. I've just never read more than a chapter of Fellowship.
>>
>>68187543

I recall that the book made a bigger point over the Barrow blade that Tom found, but it's been a while since reading it.

But yes, I like how it was in the film; I recall the film didn't put much into the blade, though.
>>
>>68185382
>"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
She is deliberately inspired by the sheildmaidens of Norse sagas and name checked as such.
People have been writing strong women for hundreds of years before nerds on the internet got knickertwisted over it.
>>
>>68190729
I guess they're really hairy like feet. Washing it must be an absolute pain.
>>
>>68190666
admit it /pol/, you are gay.
that's the only logical explanation of women hate.
or you are a closet transgender like buffalo bill.
you wanna become a woman but you can't, that leads to hate.

am i right?
>>
>>68185143
tfw she was orginally going to be played by based Iben Hjejle
>>
>>68190833
>admit it /pol/, you are gay.
Is this supposed to be an insult or something? Many /pol/sters are openly gay
>>
>>68186406
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

TV CONFIRMED FOR HYPOCRITES EVERYONE TAKE NOTE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
File: 1452914014082.jpg (65 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
1452914014082.jpg
65 KB, 300x299
Could a trangender mtf have killed the witch king?
>>
>>68190907

The ultimate question
>>
>>68190751
>I assume it's bad.
That sounds like a personal problem, why are you bothering us with it? Genre fiction is like every other form of literature, its a steaming heap of shit with a few gems that make the sift worthwhile.

Shit like the Dune Saga is a deeper metaphysical meditation on the nature of reality than tons of more "serious" entries. Delaney has a way with prose where he can do more with a single sentence than authors can with an entire book when it comes to description. Asimov wrote far more non-fiction and technical text then he ever did books about robots (which equates to a metric shit-ton), even pleb tier entry level stuff like Hyperion is essentially "Keats writes the Canterbury Tales." Heinlein's entire non-juvenile novel career is a deconstruction of one aspect of society and culture or another.

I guess what I'm saying is, you shouldn't be an asshole your whole life.
>>
>>68187030
>HOL UP NIGGA
daykwon you trippin? Get out my way nigga
>NAW NIGGA
NIGGA I AIN'T TELL YOU AGAIN AIN'T NO NIGGA ALIVE HANDLE ME
>NIGGA I AIN'T NO NIGGA
SHIEEEEEET
>>
File: the superlative laugh.jpg (195 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
the superlative laugh.jpg
195 KB, 517x768
>>68191011
goddammit
>>
As a long time fa/tg/uy, magic is a bitch about wording. This is completely in line with what fantasy likes to do with word play.
>>
>>68190871
and yet they claim homosexuality is degenerate
>>
File: pepelibations.png (289 KB, 424x479) Image search: [Google]
pepelibations.png
289 KB, 424x479
>>68191011
>>
>>68191078
Middle earth magic isn't like your usual fantasy magic though. Elf magic is because they've had all of eternity to git gud at whatever it was they wanted to do, everything else was because they were beings that existed before the fall.

The elves do have a gift of prophecy, and like all prophecy it was ambiguous and full of surprises. Like the fall of Doriath or Gondolin, for instance.
>>
>>68191147
I keep forgetting /pol/ is one person.
>>
>>68190620
Yes, books that weren't written in gibberish.
>>
>>68190998
Genre fiction puts un undue emphasis on plot at the expense of characters and prose. Even the best genre fiction will never live up the subtlety and superior form of literary fiction because its focus isn't on those aspects of writing. I don't care about political parallels or world building; I don't read books to escape from reality or to be preached at. Fucking read Proust; don't waste your time on the Silmarillion imbibing fake history. You aren't 12 anymore.
>>
>>68191253
/pol/ is fucking white men hate machine with blonde hair and tanned skin. /pol/ is zealot and always wrong.
>>
>>68191288
books are for women. what are you doing reading? pick up some tools and do something constructive for once in your life. what are you, a sissy?
>>
>>68189990
>It doesn't feature a dragon
Good point.
>>
File: i'm done.gif (1 MB, 224x178) Image search: [Google]
i'm done.gif
1 MB, 224x178
>>68191288
>don't waste your time on the Silmarillion
Says the tripfag trying to be a smartass and being btfo. Please tell me about a constructive use of time while you shitpost on a myanmar underwater basketweaving newsletter.

Jesus fucking christ, your complete lack of self awareness embarrasses me for you.
>>
alright i'm up to my gills in bait here
i'm out.
>>
File: varg.jpg (72 KB, 757x451) Image search: [Google]
varg.jpg
72 KB, 757x451
>>68185911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVvtvmpl-g

>tfw mouth salivating from horns
>>
>>68191627
>you're a dummy for posting on the same site as I do!!
What a precious reply.
>>
>>68185207
>great when the movie came out

No it was eye rolling then. She fucking hacked off a fellbeast's head with two swings then killed the god damn witch king because of shitty word play.

How were the Nazghoul ever a threat in the movies?

>GUYS THE RING IS LIKE THREE FEET AW- SQUIRREL!
>OH SHIT HE'S WAVING A TORCH AT US, RETREAT!
>FUCKINGWATGARBRLWARBL
>I CAN'T SEE SHIT
>>
File: 1435777085797.jpg (365 KB, 2000x1087) Image search: [Google]
1435777085797.jpg
365 KB, 2000x1087
>>68191011
perfect
>>
things fell apart in the latter half of the 3rd movie tbqh, the book was definitely superior in the telling of the pelennor fields battle and all that lots of epic stuff was left out likely because Hackson just wanted to finish things or was running out of money
>>
>>68189549
I know this is supposed to be posted sarcastically but I unironically agree with the text of this pasta.
>>
>>68189549
>DON'T HOLD MY HAND!
>>
>>68192016
Tolkien always maintained that it was one book, broken up into volumes. They're not intended to stand alone. In the books sauron is dead about half way through return of the king, and the rest is the resolution of the greater story.

I love the scouring of the shire as much as the next tolkien fag, but the pace of return of the king would have been fucked even more than it was.
>>
>>68192033
You can argue that making the bad guys Nazis is creatively stale, but how is that SJW propaganda? The only way that could be described as propaganda is if you genuinely think that there's an argument to be made that Nazis weren't terrible.
>>
>>68191681
That Isengard scene
>Tens of thousands
Still give me the fucking chills.
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.