[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't women like films? Why is it an exclusively male
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14
File: kino.jpg (150 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
150 KB, 500x667
Why don't women like films? Why is it an exclusively male domain?

Pic related is a woman's idea a 'film' collection. Trashy, throwaway flicks with no substance. I've never known of any woman who had a decent film (or even movie) collection.
>>
>A few Kinos in her collection
>trash
>>
File: 1417661483985.png (119 KB, 252x404) Image search: [Google]
1417661483985.png
119 KB, 252x404
>DVD not bluray
>>
women here
I've only seen one of those movies
wanna fuck me now?
>>
File: pride-and-prejudice-movie.jpg (134 KB, 1012x1500) Image search: [Google]
pride-and-prejudice-movie.jpg
134 KB, 1012x1500
>>68149246

You are of course being ridiculous, because you're a mad virgin. But don't worry, I can clear it up for you.

Women like serious films too, moron. Period dramas, e.g. pic related.

You could say that "most" women like trashy rom coms, but similarly you can say that "most" men like brainless action blockbusters, which is entirely true

Both sexes have a spectrum of people who like trashy movies and people who like serious and more esoteric movies

Also, I would argue that "kino" movies (arthouse movies, serious esoteric dramas, cerebral sort of shit) have a much more balanced viewing demographic, because the sort of losers that watch them (i.e., you) are more androgynous people, people who aren't able to hack it being a prime piece of meat in the sexual marketplace, people with lower hormone levels than "most" people. So yeah, those sorts of people watch weird arthouse shit and because they have lower hormone levels and are thus more androgynous people, the audiences for those movies are more balanced, like 50/50 men/women.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
>>
>>68149246
Where are all the star wars movies?
>>
>>68149246
There's at least 9 good movies in that pile.
>>
>>68149577
Ya. You in LONDON?
>>
File: pure ideologracy.jpg (22 KB, 255x364) Image search: [Google]
pure ideologracy.jpg
22 KB, 255x364
>>68149773
>Also, I would argue that "kino" movies (arthouse movies, serious esoteric dramas, cerebral sort of shit) have a much more balanced viewing demographic, because the sort of losers that watch them (i.e., you) are more androgynous people, people who aren't able to hack it being a prime piece of meat in the sexual marketplace, people with lower hormone levels than "most" people. So yeah, those sorts of people watch weird arthouse shit and because they have lower hormone levels and are thus more androgynous people, the audiences for those movies are more balanced, like 50/50 men/women.
>>
>>68149773
>Period dramas
Christ, don't you women ever shut up about your menstrual cycles?
>>
>>68149773
Lol now you're just playing dress up. Pride and Prejudice is no different in terms of anything, really. Better acted sure, but now the far-away job is the war, the jeans is the corset, the evil mother in law is the evil landlady, etc. Basically the same movie.
>>
>>68149577
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
Femanon here.

The notion that women don't like films, and that they only watch superficial/garbage films, frankly makes me laugh.

I have a degree in film studies. I watch shit from the 50s every day that you've never even heard of.

Go fuck yourself, OP
>>
the only people I've ever met around my age with a genuine interest in arthouse films are women, men just get stuck in some trap of thinking Nolan, Tarantino, and Coppola are the be-all and end-all of cinema until they turn 40
>>
Normies don't like film. There are just a lot of Stacies out there. If you were less autistic you might be able to establish contact with a non-Stacy at some point in your life
>>
>>68149246
This stack is about 50/50 in watch ability. It's not all bad. These movies are all designed to appeal to girls...I don't see the problem.

Some of them suck (Made of Honour) but if you think Ghost is a bad movie you can suck my left nut.
>>
>>68150784
New copypasta right here.
>>
Could have just edited everything but "I've never known any woman" and had a more honest, accurate post.
>>
>>68149911
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>68149246
>"Hey anon, why don't you pick one of my movies for us to watch?"
What do you pick?
>>
>>68151406
Cruel Intentions for the shower scene.
>>
>>68149246
>not enjoying a cheeky bit of Anchorman with the missus.
>>
>>68149246
Women have shitty taste because they are more conformist than men are, so they tend to have generic interests and won't bother with anything niche or unusual.
>>
File: my sides.gif (499 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
my sides.gif
499 KB, 480x228
>>68150784
>degree in film studies
>>
>>68151406
Kingsman.
>>
>>68151882
Kingsman is the male equivalent of a chick flick.
>>
> Hey /tv/, why do normies like shitty things?

C'mon senpai, you're better than this.
>>
Because 99% of them are plebeian and all they've ever given a shit about is getting dicked down so they watch movies exclusively about either women sleeping around or love stories which is just a movie about a woman getting some dick from only one dude. Also the pursuit of happiness, and little miss sunshine are kino. Anchorman is pretty funny too
>>
>>68149773
>not the prime meat
>they have lower hormone levels and are thus more androgynous people
Something is wrong about this.
You can have unbalanced hormones, look not androgynous, but still not be a prime meat
>>
>Lady, the film club is for men exclusively. We can make an exemption for you by admitting you as an honorary man but you must first pledge your loyalty to Ozu, Orson Wells and prime Spielberg, and renounce all romcom, Will Ferrel, and Will Smith

Fuck the film club.
>>
>>68152804
>implying people shouldnt renounce all romcoms
Will Ferrell and Will Smith have a few pretty good movies
>>
>>68149246
Because patriarchy tells women to only care about romance so that she will stay submissive to the male
>>
>>68152356
Grease is also fucking great, Despicable Me is good too but very overexposed.
>>
>>68149246
What are some other quintessential womancore titles?
>>
>>68153007
Actually haven't ever watched grease, I'm not a fan of musicals.
>>
>>68149246
OP you are being a close-minded faggot.

It's OK for people to have different tastes. Women have their trashy films they like as guilty pleasures just like we men do.

Not all films marketed to women are bad. I just watched Demolition. That's a film that goes way beyond the typical "romcom" trope it's been advertised as. (Probably just to get people to go see the damn thing)

It's actually a movie about grief. Grief about life, about death, about living life like you are dead.
It's kind of funny, but not in a cheesy gag way, more in a tragic "this is how shit life actually is. And this is the shit we've all ACTUALLY wanted to do and this crazy motherfucker is doing it".

The film HAS romance in it. But it's not the sort of romance you think. It's romance in the classical sense. An attachment to an idea, manifested physically through an outlet.

You should approach all movies with an open-mind. Go and watch something you don't normally watch. It can surprise you.
>>
>>68153019
Women seem to really like this film. They can relate to it and fully understand the actions and motivations of the protagonist. It's a film that is generally considered to be best understood if you're a woman.
>>
>>68153078
It is a musical but also kind of a parody of 50s teen movies.
>>
>>68153207
I'll eventually end up watching it I just can't stand showtunes, I can deal with the singing in the South Park movie because the songs are GOAT, and I can deal with the songs in old family guy because they're usually only a minute or two long.
>>
>>68150784
>shit from the 50s every day that you've never even heard of
Well yeah it probably is shit
Old =/= Good
Also, the only reason I'm replying to this copypasta/bait is because I get so many (You)s they're just piling up. Here have one
>>
>>68154029
This 10,000 times. Old has never meant good. The best movies are old but most old movies are objectively shit. And that's because people were still mastering the art of cinema.
>>
>>68153139
Woah check out this crazy social experimenter right here!
Contradicting expectation? Juxtaposition?
Epic prank man. Wild
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 236x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 236x237
>>68153007
>despicable me
>good
You wanna know how I know you're a pleb?
>>
Go and look at any Chads movie collection and it'll be Will Ferrell movies and capeshit.
>>
>>68154800
Objectively wrong. I know multiple chads that don't have plebeian taste.
>>
File: errol_flynn.jpg (844 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
errol_flynn.jpg
844 KB, 1600x1200
>>68154124
The fact that they were still figuring things out is what makes classic cinema so damn interesting, newer movies are boring and routine in comparison.

Give a rough but charming 30's film over a slick, by-the-numbers modern film any day
>>
>>68154858
>newer movies boring by comparison
You wanna know how I know you've never watched a movie made before 1970? Because most movies back then were boring as fuck. Not to say there aren't good ones, but there's no denying that in general they were low quality in every way.
>>
>>68149246
500 days of summer and little miss sunshine are good tho
>>
>>68149577
>woman
>browses 4chan
DROPPED
>>
File: solaire-of-astora.jpg (55 KB, 300x647) Image search: [Google]
solaire-of-astora.jpg
55 KB, 300x647
>>68154990
Go to bed Solaire.
>>
>>68154990
>500 days of summer
>good
Holy shit how pleb can someone be? Little miss sunshine is GOAT though.
>>
>>68149577
which one is the question
>>
File: 1455076749503.gif (663 KB, 480x324) Image search: [Google]
1455076749503.gif
663 KB, 480x324
>>68154951
All this proves is that you have shit taste. Classic movies focused on character development and dialogue far more than newer films, which is of course "boring" to a pleb like yourself
>>
>>68155400
>implying there aren't newer movies that focus on character development
>>
>>68149246
I went into a pound shop literally yesterday to get a drink and picked up three of those movies for my girlfriend that's how bad their taste is friend.
>>
Because women have no appreciation for art or accomplishments. All they care for is surpassing other girls and men. Their lives literally revolves around getting the best man they can get and beating their friends. That is the only thing they live for. This is why they only care for movies about relationships or jealous girls, because they can relate.
>>
>>68155464
I meant in general. What is known as the Classical Hollywood Narrative still exists today, but in the Golden Age it was actually the norm.
>>
>>68149773
>You could say that "most" women like trashy rom coms, but similarly you can say that "most" men like brainless action blockbusters, which is entirely true
But these action blockbusters have more artistic merit and intelligence devoted to them than shitty rom coms.
>>
>>68155789
In general yes maybe, but I don't watch most of the stupid shit that comes out nowadays. However most of the movies I watch were made in the past 15-20 years. Just gotta be good at guessing which ones will actually have some sort of artistic value.
>>
>>68155824
This. Even something like hardcore Henry has more artistic merit than even the "best" romcom (I put best in quotes because they're all shit.)
>>
>>68155950
>even the "best" romcom (I put best in quotes because they're all shit.)
To be fair movies like Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind are bretty kino. Ironically and unsurprisingly kino romcoms such as the ones I mentioned are the kind of romcoms that are least unlikely to attract the female audience, due to their unexploitive nature and intelligently written characters. Women just want some generic trash about girl drama.
>>
>>68156103
Haven't watched either of those actually, might get around to it if they're actually good. But as of now every single romcom I've seen has been objectively shit.
>>
This is a female cinephile.
http://letterboxd.com/avadavis/
>>
>>68155950
Wrong

There was a time when rom-coms were awesome, but since the 1980's they've devolved into lowest common denominator bullshit, with almost every one having the same fucking plot.

Watch something like The Lady Eve or Roman Holiday, and if you actually believe Hardcore Henry is better than them you are a complete faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 449x401
>>68156296
>he actually defends romcoms
>>
>>68156375
>he actually disregards entire genres
how does it feel to be such a close-minded pleb?
>>
>>68155950
>hardcore Henry has more artistic merit than even the "best" romcom

No. Hardcore Henry is shit, and the equivalent of the exploitative trash that are chick-flicks. The film is basically a full length feature first person shooter made for underage kids who play too many video games.

The fact that you seem to think ALL romcoms are shit shows how little you know about films, or perhaps haven't seen anything outside of major hollywood blockbusters, I'm guessing specifically nothing outside of capeshit and the like. There are great romcoms out there, The Apartment, Philadelphia Story, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Roman Holiday, the Before trilogy, the list DOES go on. To say that all romcoms are shit, is one of the most ignorant opinions I've seen on /tv/.

>>68156103
Neither of those films are really romcoms. While they have romance in them, you'll find that many films do also feature a romantic subplot of some kind, and most of them aren't romcoms in the slightest. I don't understand how someone can be so stupid to mistake Lost in Translation or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as a romcom. To give you the benefit of the doubt i'll just assume you haven't seen either of them.
>>
>>68156584
Feels pretty great knowing I'm not watching a movie specifically about a relationship. How the fuck can people watch that shit unironically? A romance subplot is usually a good thing, but a whole movie based around it is the stupidest shit ever.
>>
>>68156657
>Neither of those films are really romcoms. While they have romance in them, you'll find that many films do also feature a romantic subplot of some kind, and most of them aren't romcoms in the slightest. I don't understand how someone can be so stupid to mistake Lost in Translation or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as a romcom. To give you the benefit of the doubt i'll just assume you haven't seen either of them.
You should kill yourself, your autism is preventing you from seeing the humor in those kinos.
>>
>>68156584
Enjoy watching shitty joints like failure to launch and 50 first dates, while I'm watching pure kinography like Sicario.
>>
>>68155885
My strategy is to avoid modern films, I just prefer the classic style of filmmaking. There are so many classic films I still haven't seen, that I have no motivation to even bother with newer films until I've exhausted everything worth seeing from about 1930-1975.
>>
>>68156816
When they're witty/funny enough, I couldn't fucking care less. Even the simplest plots can become great films if the writing and acting are strong enough. Instead of blacklisting genres maybe you should actually expand your horizons, some of the greatest and most acclaimed films of all time fall under the "romantic comedy" label
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 625x626
>>68157118
>greatest and most acclaimed films are romantic comedies
>>
File: Bringing Up Baby_04.jpg (587 KB, 629x893) Image search: [Google]
Bringing Up Baby_04.jpg
587 KB, 629x893
>>68157261
>he knows nothing about film
>>
>>68156236
>Ranked Eli Roth's flicks
>patrician
'Hnnnng she likes violent horror and shes a girl hnnnnng'
Shes not special dude
>>
>>68157382
>Shes not special dude
Read the file name.
>>
>>68157339
>it's an autist realizes I just called him on his shit so he brings up a movie from the 30's that approximately 1% of the population has heard of episode
When are you gonna realize that you're objectively wrong. Just go watch your faggy romantic comedies, while the patricians enjoy real cinema.
>>
>>68149246
this is quite mediocre desu, but at least its believable.

Some girl I met in film studies class listed l'accapareur enclume (1930) as her favourite film but she couldn't even hold a conversation about the firm rejection of historical materialism in its brilliant use of mis en scene and the yearning for a return to traditionalist values and a less sympathetic view of the Enlightenment.

Girls who pretend to like cinema are the worst
>>
>>68157408
>Voyage to the Moon,Daisies,Rosemary's Baby,all the noir, Un Chien Andalou
What are movies that came about before 1970, Alex?
>>
>>68157473
Nigger, I like cinema but have no fucking idea what you're talking about. You're probably just autistic.
>>
>>68157464
>hurr durr that movie is old and I haven't seen it.
>checkmate!
kill yourself
>>
>>68157516
No duh, it's how little she's seen out of 1000. Most women with 1000+ I've seen on LB are the same.
>>
>>68157665
I never said I haven't seen it, I said about 1% of people have heard of it. Therefore it is not considered one of the best films ever made.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.