[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When people say "I loved it. The cinematography was great."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Cinematography-Manual-865x505.jpg (46 KB, 865x505) Image search: [Google]
Cinematography-Manual-865x505.jpg
46 KB, 865x505
When people say "I loved it. The cinematography was great." Do they actually know what they're talking about? I see a lot of posts in here and reddit saying it but do they actually know it's meaning? I just really doubt the fact that someone from reddit would know it
>>
Most people haven't a clue about lighting, blocking, lens choice, colour grading etc.

When a Plebbitor says they liked the cinematography it means they thought the pictures was pretty.
>>
>>68130823
I'm talking about the great choices of lightning, and other technicals such as correct camera lense choices
Also doesn't hurt if they've used some great shooting methods (imagine shining tracking shot)
>>
>>68130823
Usually they mean the way it was shot, without really regarding the technological facets that composed each shot.

An easy way to sound smarter, but throw in a question about millimeter size and shot distances, and they might freeze up.
>>
>>68131447
I apologize for my ignorance.
>>
>>68130823
>>68131268
when people say; When people say "I loved it. The cinematography was great." Do they actually know what they're talking about? do they actually know what they're talking about? Do they not realize actual film makers have disdain for 'enthusiasts' who think they know shit rather than for the unpretentious normal people whose patronage makes film making possible?
>>
>>68130823
>Do they actually know what they're talking about?

No

see >>68131538
>>
>>68131347
>>68131341
>great choices of lightning, and other technicals such as correct camera lense choices
>throw in a question about millimeter size and shot distances, and they might freeze up.
As an amateur (read: Shitty College) filmmaker, I feel like a dumbass for not knowing these things.

Where can I learn more?
>>
>>68130823

>reddit

Stopped reading there. Just because people have different opinions, doesn't make them reddit.
>>
>>68131637
You can get books on it easily online, with a simple google search even.
If you are really not considering reading up, there are 2 choices, either getting it via close obsrvation and experience of godlike cinematography driven movies (See: Kubrick, Antonioni), or just be a normie and watch people on youtube explain it
Then you'll know what is really kino
>>
>>68131637
Entry level pleb material is Tony's "Every Frame A Painting" on youtube where he analyzes more of the technical side of filmmaking like editing, shot compositions, camera lenses etc. He works as an editor irl so he actually makes quality content on there.
>>
>>68130823
I loved the cinematography in "the revenant", was superb.
the rest of the movie was utter shit, a die hard on steroids edit.
good enough?
>>
File: canon-c300-with-lens.jpg (32 KB, 660x423) Image search: [Google]
canon-c300-with-lens.jpg
32 KB, 660x423
>>68131740
I also forgot to mention, you will definitely need to know the basics of camerawork to get going, so look that up too.
and i'm not talking crappy camera, camera should be pic related.
>>
>>68130823
they're just saying it's pretty, yeah yeah everyone's now gonna start jerking off to the phrase "good cinematography isn't just pretty" but let's not pretend the visual aesthetic of a shot is wholly irrelevant.
>>
>>68131637
see:
>>68131841
>>
When I say I liked the cinematography all I mean is that I liked the way it looked.
>>
File: 81NxzVK8m1L.jpg (271 KB, 1322x1713) Image search: [Google]
81NxzVK8m1L.jpg
271 KB, 1322x1713
>>68131637
read the 5 Cs of Cinematography
>>
File: 1460111356943.jpg (67 KB, 1280x1924) Image search: [Google]
1460111356943.jpg
67 KB, 1280x1924
most people just mean that it looks pretty when they say that. It also gets mixed a lot with set design.
>>
>>68131689
it's not that they have different opinions, it's because they use the word without knowing what it is all about
>>
>this steak tastes good

fucking reddit do they even know how the meat was butchered, seared, how the pan was deglazed, how the sauce was reduced, why do plebs even bother talking?
>>
>>68132188
*this steak was cooked well
>>
>>68132056

>Cunny
>Cuck
>CIA
>Capekino
>

whats the last one /tv/?
>>
>>68132214
>ruining the steak
You might as well cover it in onions while you're at it.
>>
>>68132224
cunt, you're a cunt
>>
>>68132224
capeshit
>>
>>68132237
*I loved it. The steak was cooked great.
>>
>>68132188
touched a nerve reddit?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.