[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wouldn't a Mary Sue successfully evade arrest? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: Jyn_Erso.png (274 KB, 499x544) Image search: [Google]
Jyn_Erso.png
274 KB, 499x544
Wouldn't a Mary Sue successfully evade arrest?

I don't see how /tv/ can claim she is based on a few seconds from a teaser trailer
>>
>I don't see how /tv/ can claim she is
I've never seen a serious post claiming she was. Or is /tv/ just 1 person now?
>>
>>68083968
Alright Max Landis.
>>
>>68083968
It was part of her plan
>>
>>68083968
All I needed to see was the smug, sarcastic "Yes sair" to know she's a cunt mary sue
>>
>>68084036
this x1000.

>I'm so cool and edgy I'll even act rebellious towards the good guys. I just can't be controlled. I'm so independent, and at the ripe age of 18 the galaxy is my oyster.
>>
>>68083968
>>68083984

We havent seen the film yet, so we cant know for sure.

What we DO know is:

>she beats up stormtroopers without the force
>shes got a stronk attitude
>she rebéls
>she gets to lead a pretty important mission, despite being a criminal with a violent history
>>
>using meme buzz-terms like """Mary Sue""" that you obviously had no knowledge of before using 4chan

You're all so fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>68084099
This is why people hate the idea of empowered female characters.

Because this is all they can come up with.
>>
>>68084984
>she gets to lead a pretty important mission, despite being a criminal with a violent history

Its the dirty dozen.

As D-Day approaches, Colonel Breed hands the roguish Major Reisman (Lee Marvin) an important assignment: He must train a team of soldiers to parachute across enemy lines and assassinate German personnel at a French chateau. The soldiers, recruited from murderers, rapists and criminals on death row, are promised commuted sentences. In spite of their history, the 12 men prove a spirited and courageous unit. Led by Major Reisman, they will exact revenge.
>>
>>68083968
I love her and would give her the bcc all nite long.
>>
>>68085085

>Its the dirty dozen.

What happens if the dirty dozen die/dont accomplish the mission?

What happens if this mission [death star plans] fails?
>>
Why did they pick some disgusting old hag?
>>
>>68085040
Because I spent so many years of my youth reading fanfics I knew the term for over a decade but it's only now going outside the realm of a self insert because really there's no other basic term to describe a character as blandly perfect as Rey without being a self insert.

The meaning of the word changed to mean "shitty flawless female character" deal with it.
>>
>>68085149

Why did James Bond randomly shag a 50 year old in Spectre?

>protip: pandering
>>
>>68085161

The old hag in Spectre at least had some redeeming qualities, this slut looks like an annoying dyke.
>>
>>68085159
>>68085040

This.

Essentially the term "Mary Sue" is Hermione Granger. A self-insert of Jk Rowling.

In film obviously this doesnt make sense, but the term "Mary Sue" is being used to describe the perfect female character devoid of any flaws with unrealistic skills/strength and martial prowess, which usually takes alot of muscle mass, speed, agility and training to master

>mary sue = feminist super woman as a protagonist
>>
>>68083968

Let me break it down for ya

>she's an imperial spy
>white admiral counter-intelligence guy is her father figure and handler
>imperial spy goes undercover as a rebel
>her mission is to fuck up the rebels' plans and report how much they know
>one of their missions is to get the death star plans
>at a crucial moment she decides she is indeed a rebel and betrays the empire
>she gives her life so the death star plans can reach the rebel command
>turns out she's more of a hero than Luke will ever be and because of her the Death Star could be destroyed

There
>>
>>68083968

Here is how this movie and all future Star Wars movie will go

>Mary Sue faces (every single) problem
>Mary Sue ends (every single) problem with no effort all by herself
>Everyone tells Mary Sue how awesome she is promotes her

The end.
>>
>>68085080

Seriously. People say the audience is misgynistic but maybe you should JUST WRITE MORE COMPELLING CHARACTERS.

Leia was a great character, with depth, struggle and growth. She was also brave and smart but she wasn't an annoying cunt and was the crush of every Star Wars fan. But feminists hate her because she's not a fucking Sue and actually needs help from others and can't save the universe on her own. Fuck this.
>>
>Ira Bell
Why did she just tell them her name in the middle of the conversaton? Do people really do this?
>>
File: fjswr.png (54 KB, 807x636) Image search: [Google]
fjswr.png
54 KB, 807x636
I hope this character don't end being another overpowered Rei,to be honest.
>>
>>68085215

Hermione is a perfect exampe why a self insert isn't necessarily a Mary Sue.
Hermione was a great character with struggle, growth and depth. Rowling understood to not let her Self Insert steal the show. She was a sidekick that might as well have been anybody. She has her unique character traits and helps the main characters out but she never unrealistically becomes the center of attention because of her being so awesome and shit. In fact Rowling understood that while she made her self insert smart and competent that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody immediately loves her and she had to gaim the trust of and become friends with the main character through actual meaningful interactions
>>
>>68085350

Because thanks to feminism and the beta-orbiters that surround every semi-attractive women theses days, they actually believe that women are "just as capable" as men, despite not understanding that men just dont "become strong, skilled".

Women dont understand the concept of self-improvement. They stop changing at the age of 15 (mostly) and they remain that way until meno-pause. Men understand self-improvment.

So you get these women who genuinely believe that women are magically as good at everything as men are. They now demand to be portrayed as such in film. The few men saying:"Wait a minite, hows a 100lbs girl gonna beat up 5 professional soldiers" AND look feminine with endearing feminine traits such as kindness and naivety?

Watch the movie "Haywire". Thats actually pretty interesting, because Gina Carrano LOOKS and BEHAVES like she might actually be able to kick some ass.
>>
>>68085433

>Hermione was a great character with struggle, growth and depth.

She wasnt. She was perfect from day 1.
She lost her attitude, because noone liked "HOW SMART SHE IS".

>Rowling understood to not let her Self Insert steal the show.

And yet no hermione, no surviving any of the books.
>>
>>68083968
wasn't Rey captured too?
>>
File: Chalet.Girl.2011.BDRemux_2.webm (3 MB, 532x962) Image search: [Google]
Chalet.Girl.2011.BDRemux_2.webm
3 MB, 532x962
I'd rebel with her, if you know what I mean
>>
>>68085411
>She's quite the rogue one, don't you think?
Unbelievable
>>
>>68085482

No she wasn't. She was an ugly arrogant nerd with no friends that everybody hated.
The only thing that she had going for her was being smart but that also made the other characters hate her because she was a condescending bitch about it.
Only over time she opened up and learned there is more than studying and getting good grades
>>
>>68085512
imagine her nipples, OH MY GOD
>>
File: A2F.jpg (300 KB, 1200x1802) Image search: [Google]
A2F.jpg
300 KB, 1200x1802
She has some impressive rebel credentials
>>
>>68085512
She has big mittens.
>>
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 1200x1458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 1200x1458
>>68085577
almost as impressive as your dubs
>>
>>68085512
DIAMONDS
>>
>>68084099
>>>I'm so cool and edgy I'll even act rebellious towards the good guys. I just can't be controlled. I'm so independent, and at the ripe age of 18 the galaxy is my oyster.

she seems like han solo except instead of every other character immensely groaning at han when he pulls his "i'm a cool badass" shtick, everyone is like "wow she's so cool"

and unlike han solo, who talks big of himself yet gets clowned on by vader or even stormtroopers, she appears to take on a squad of stormtroopers on her own like it's no problem

so essentially she's han solo except with everything that made him a good character taken away.
>>
>felicity is /tv/s new collective waifu
fuck yes

post more
>>
File: 1460167886096.jpg (233 KB, 931x1397) Image search: [Google]
1460167886096.jpg
233 KB, 931x1397
I got you fampaitachiwatchi
>>
>>68085759
>>
>>68085805
I want to fuck that rabbit
>>
>>68085747

The problem wit Mary Sues is that their authors just don't realize that NOT EVERY FUCKING CHARACTER LOVES YOUR SELF INSERT FOR NO FUCKING REASON JESUS CHRIST.

There aren't any complex or varied opinions about Mary Sue. Either the characters absolutely love her and treat her like fucking Elvis Presley revived or they hate her so much all they can think about is how much they hate Mary Sue.
Yet these authors usually fail to give Mary Sue's the personality or actions that warrant that strong feelings.
>>
File: 84fa0gGBRWP2QOvT0YKACurMfuq.jpg (41 KB, 421x632) Image search: [Google]
84fa0gGBRWP2QOvT0YKACurMfuq.jpg
41 KB, 421x632
>>68085873
I've always thought she looked like she had corrective surgery for harelip. Which gives her a very cute bunny mouth.
>>
What's with the new female leads and their weird teeth and bong accents?
>>
File: image.jpg (993 KB, 1984x2616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
993 KB, 1984x2616
>>68085759
>>68085805
>>68085830
it's finally time for the dawn of the palefu. thank you based Disney for showing us this classy dame.
>>
>>68084984
>>she beats up stormtroopers without the force

good point, since no non-force sensitive character has ever done this
>>
File: FELICITY-JONES-VOGUE-ITALIA.jpg (72 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
FELICITY-JONES-VOGUE-ITALIA.jpg
72 KB, 570x380
I've loved Felicity for years. Please be gentle with her.
>>
>>68085875
it just seems like a child's understanding of what building a good and "strong" character is

>instead of making a "good" character in the sense that it seems like a real, although somewhat caricaturized, person, let's just make her good at everything. that's what a good character is, right?

>instead of making a "strong" character in the sense that she has a "strong" sense of right and wrong, let's just make her physically strong and have her blow up some stormtroopers. pew pew! that's what a strong character is, right?
>>
>>68085109
>I love her and would give her the bcc all nite long.
>bcc

bitty caucasian cock?
>>
>>68085237
>>she gives her life so the death star plans can reach the rebel command

she's not a bothun tho
>>
>>68086171
isn't that for the Death Star 2 Electric Boogaloo?
>>
>>68085917
nah, missing some telltale scarring

she just has british buck teeth
>>
>>68086250
The upwards indent in middle of her top lip is the same as every person I've known that had the surgery.
>>
>>68086131
>"strong" sense of right and wrong,

that's not the only way to do a "strong" character
>>
>>68086307
yeah i wrote some more about strong characters but then deleted it and now my post looks dumb

but yeah

strong about maintaining principles (rorschach)
strong about enduring hardship (rocky)
strong demeanor (like tywin from GoT)

pleb tier examples but whatever

feel free to call me a retard if i got it wrong. i didn't go to kino schools, i went to kinos
>>
>>68085875
In fanfiction, it's self-indulgence of a teenager that's probably lonely, insecure, and trying to find confidence in themselves by having fictional characters they idolize like them back. It's not great writing, but overall it's pretty harmless exploration of self.

It's not really forgivable in published fiction or media, though.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.