[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ Screenwriting General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1459696881137.jpg (7 KB, 260x274) Image search: [Google]
1459696881137.jpg
7 KB, 260x274
Working on a spec pilot but the formatting, stage and camera direction stuff is kinda slowing me down. What are you guys working on?
>>
>>68061092

A-anyone?
>>
Constantly working on stuff in my head but I haven't completed a full draft in 2-3 years.

;_;
>>
>spec script
>camera direction
>>
>>68062545

I mean the stuff were it says "Pan to Mcdonald's Parking lot. Freeze Frame on some guy's face"

Is that kinda stuff really necessary or is that for other drafts?
>>
>>68062518
Same fám
>>
>>68062736
Not that guy but if you want anyone to ever consider reading anything of a spec script you include as little direction as possible. Even using PoV is usually frowned upon.
>>
>>68062736
Usually camera directions are left for the director to choose. Personally, I only use them when necessary, like if a joke requires the camera to do something specific.
>>
What are some good scripts to study and work off of? I figured A Topiary would be a good example
>>
friend passes me his scipt like "hey anon, i'm really really stuck, i can't even fit in a surprise guy with a pistol, see if you can get something"
>M: what are you doing here, you're not supposed to be here.
>F: you're not supposed to have a dick, you fag, so shut the fuck up and let me do my job.

i know him long enough to have sure that his gf said that to him.
instant mental block.
>>
>>68062378
>>68061092
>formatting, stage and camera direction stuff is kinda slowing me down

so basically the "screenwriting" part is a bit of a roadbump for you?
>>
>>68063036
Scream is my favorite script ever, but that's just a personal preference. Almost any pro script can give you a pretty good idea of the formatting/writing style.

I always got more out of just watching movies, though.
>>
>>68063036

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. For instance I'm writing a pilot so I'm looking at pilot scripts for serialized shows and rewatching said pilots.
>>
>>68063079

Basically. I know formatting is 100% necessary if you want it to see the light of day, but I'm wondering what I am supposed to include.
>>
>>68063183
There are hundreds of guides online, not to mention you can just look at any contemporary professional script - also screenwriting software does it for you.

Formatting is by far the easiest part of writing a script, especially once u've written more than a few pages and you know, for example, that you have to press shift+enter to do a new scene.
>>
So should you not add directions to screenplays?
>>
Anybody read Kevin Smith's Tusk script? I remember really enjoying it and then being awestruck by how terrible the movie was.
>>
>>68063183
Read some produced scripts -- anything -- especially more recent ones and you should get a good idea of how it's done.
>>
>>68063326

see >>68062949

Best to work around mentioning the camera when possible.
>>
>>68063326
Correct
>>
>>68063333
I liked the idea of it but I just wanted MORE. It was like he got a crazy idea and didn't expand on it. There wasn't a real story there.
>>
>>68063326
Unless you're the one really directing the Screenwrite it limits the possibilities to other to expand on it plus can be confusing and cluttering on a page, at least for me.
>>
>>68063382
>>68063386
>>68063534

Alright, good to know. Thanks guys :)
>>
Bump that bubble butt
>>
> “...not to separate their work, their movie, their film, from the life they live. Not to make a difference between the movie and their own life.”
you guys do that? just curious.
>>
does writing really matter if i won't make a movie in like a decade?
>>
>>68067181

I'd say just write it anyway. The more professional it seems the more likely it is to see the light of day. You never know.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.