[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are Kurosawa's movies so overrated? pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: yojimbo_by_rafamaciel-d6sm6dt.jpg (115 KB, 748x1069) Image search: [Google]
yojimbo_by_rafamaciel-d6sm6dt.jpg
115 KB, 748x1069
why are Kurosawa's movies so overrated? pic related
>>
because he was the nip director to go mainstream
>>
So is either capeshit threads or bait to shitpost about classics.

I'm out.
>>
>>68059932
That one and Rashomon are a wee-bit overrated, but Seven Samurai and Ikiru are deserving of their legendary status.
>>
I find it interesting how he was so universally loved and revered in the West but pretty much despised in Japan
>>
>>68060111
seven samurai deserve it only because it was the actually first movie to do that, but it aged like milk desu
>>
>>68059932
>Look mom, I'm being cool on 4chan again.
>>
>>68060149
>to do that
to do what?
>but it aged like milk
films don't age, stop perpetuating this meme criticism, it's becoming a catchall buzzword just like "pretentious"
>>
I've only seen Rashomon but it was shit. Well directed and acted but the story was tedious. I expected some kind of mind blowing revelation at the end but it never happened. I should have watched High and Low or Seven Samurai instead.
>>
>>68060321
Seven Samurai is a must-watch. The end is absolutely worth the buildup. I was surprised by how much I liked it.
>>
>>68060111
Rashomon is fantastic u dip. That possession/medium scene gives me chills like no other.
>>
>>68060149
>aged like milk

not at all, i watched it for the first time ~2 months ago and it's still very watchable
>>
>>68060321
>if a film doesn't have le epic mindfuck twist it's bad
neo-/tv/ everyone
>>
>>68060383
nah, every single actor in that movie gave superior performances in later Kurosawa films. Throne of Blood was incredibly chilling.
>>
>>68060403
I don't know why you're replying to me when you haven't even seen it.
>>
>>68060321
>but the story was tedious
this was the best part though, the multiple perspectives thing was revolutionary at the time, at least in film
>>
>>68060235
>to do what?
the slow introduction of the good guys each one with its own sequence that slowly builds up into one large group, etc.

literally any action movie (underage-available) follows that pattern.

>>68060362
>Seven Samurai is a must-watch. The end is absolutely worth the buildup. I was surprised by how much I liked it.
I agree, the ending sequence is really good (actually everything after tha rain).

>>68060401
I mean that you can easily find more decent/modern stuff. There are some movies of which you can't (8 1/2 is an example)
>>
He's a boring hack desu
>>
Can we all agree Sword of Doom and Harakiri is better than any of Kurosawa's Samurai films?
>>
>>68060468
>I mean that you can easily find more decent/modern stuff
so if a film can't capture a zeitgeist the director never experienced, its quality is automatically lessened in your view?
>>
>>68060667
it's the definition of aging badly: something more recent follows the standards started by kurosawa, but in ways more modern, thus when you watch the "original" it feels old and sometimes boring/naive.

I don't think less of the movie, but since I'm used to this type of movie (which is literally the most common) it's natural to watch it and feel it to be a bit dated.

How should I rate the movie? As if It was 1961? That's a stupid idea, you can't imagine the experience of watching a movie in 1961 ffs
>>
>>68060902
but what you're suggesting is that a film has to appeal to your modern sensibilities, which is fucking ridiculous and totally unfair. it's a completely illogical way to consider a film. you're essentially failing to see a film for what it is, and instead look at it for what you want it to be.
>>
>>68061011
I watch a movie to enjoy myself. If it fails to deliver it means I don't like it. If my standards are biased by the year I live on it's not my fault
>>
>>68059932

>1961

Are you legitimately retarded?

Do you understand that this movie came out over 50 years ago?

During a time when Hollywood was producing musicals?
>>
>>68059932
They aren't, but they're enjoyable and fun instead of hurr deep and slow and le artsy, so tryhards get butthurt.
>>
>>68059932
That doesnt look like Mifune at all
>>
>>68061373
they are overrated tho
>>
kagemusha is his most overrated one, but seven samurai is slightly overrated too.

his top 5 imo

ikiru
ran
rashomon
dersu uzala
throne of blood
>>
whats wrong with Yojimbo?
>>
>>68061424
they aren't tho
>>
>>68061576
kagemusha was the only one i have seen that disappointed me. couldnt get into the first few attempts and when i did i wasn't that impressed except for the visuals. for me my favourite is Ran, which of course happens to be the one that is impossible to get on criterion blu ray
>>
File: 411362.jpg (640 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
411362.jpg
640 KB, 2560x1920
>>68059932
because westerners have a fetish for samurais even hitler was a weeb
>>
>>68061673
guy you quoted here, are you literally me? ran is my favorite too even though i think ikiru is a better movie
>>
>>68061576
>no High and Low or The Bad Sleep Well

Nigga, what?
>>
Mifune is GOAT. Kurosawa doesn't have a film in my top 10 but he might be the most consistent director. I have seen 13 of his films, Kagemusha's my least favorite and Ran's my most favorite, and there's only a sliver between them.
>>
>>68063074
high and low is literally my 6th pick

i haven't seen the bad sleep well yet
>>
>>68060321
I agree, Rashomon's huge revelation (spoilers: people lie and kill) that seems to shake that guys world seems a bit naive. That plus the typical Japanese penchant for overacting makes it all seem a bit absurd
>>
>ranking films within a single director's filmography
why do this, it's so arbitrary
>>
>>68064347
oh, dear - sorry, anon, but you missed the point of Rashomon
I'd recommend watching it again, because you missed the Revelation
>>
File: way to go winner.gif (498 KB, 250x260) Image search: [Google]
way to go winner.gif
498 KB, 250x260
>>68061271
soo, you have no control over your actions, the zeitgeist made you do it?? good luck with that
>>
he's the frank capra of japland
>>
>>68060136
>I find it interesting how he was so universally loved and revered in the West but pretty much despised in Japan

one of those things was the direct cause of the other
>>
>>68059932

Seven Samurai is my pick for the most overrated movie ever made. It's totally inexplicable to me that people love that movie. It's so goofy and ridiculous. I can understand its historical import but it is not a good movie in any way. Kurosawa in general doesn't do much for me but Throne of Blood is incredible and Ikiru is really good too.

He's one of the first directors you watch before getting to the good shit though
>>
>>68060638
I love both, but fucking no.
>>
>>68067949
>He's one of the first directors you watch before getting to the good shit though
in any "definitive" canon of entry level he would certainly top the list yeah
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.