[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raimi's Spider Man Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
File: Spider-Man.jpg (130 KB, 1114x552) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man.jpg
130 KB, 1114x552
>Spider Man - classic, was the genesis for superhero movies after X-Men

>Spider Man 2 - Even better, critically acclaimed and considered one of the best superhero movies ever made.

>Spider Man 3 -

So...

What went so terribly wrong, /tv/?

Why wasn't there a Spider Man 4? Why wasn't Venom done right?

Discuss
>>
3 was terrible and nobody wanted to see another spiderman after that.
>>
Emo Spiderman was some of the best shit in the series.
>>
>>68054871
3 was a huge fuck you to the studio but the emo spiderman scenes are some of the best scenes of any capeshit movie
>>
>>68054871
I never really got the hype for 2.
Molina was a step down from Dafoe, the story and plot were absolute shit (MJ and Peter's arc was just the worst) and Harry became a parody of himself, though obviously not near as bad as the third. You also had like four guys writing instead of just based David Koepp (who didn't come back at all for 2). The writing really was weak as fuck.

The train sequence is obviously amazing and one of the best action set pieces in any capeshit ever, but the film in general is overrated as hell.

1. 8/10 Spider-Man
2. 6/10 Spider-Man 2
3. 3/10 Spider-Man 3
>>
>>68054871
3 would've been good if Sony hadn't forced Raimi to shove Venom into the movie.
>>
I miss that suit.
>>
>>68055022
kill yourself
>>
>Topher grace

awful casting choice. Why hire a totally washed-up now unknown actor to play your big baddie in your big budget blockbuster
>>
Sony happened
>>
>>68055022
I'd agree with that i think, i loved spiderman 2 when i was a kid but if i rewatched it now i'd probably give it a 6 i guess.
Also spiderman 3 was better if you treat it like a comedy XD
>>
Avi Arad
>>
>>68055053
Me too, I don't get the comicfags who say Andrew Garfield had the best suit.
>>
>>68055068
Any particular reason or just my general lack of cumming over 2?
If you think that was a good screenplay I think you may need to watch it again.
>>
3 was wasted potential.
>>
Didn't Sony force him to add more shit into 3?
>>
>>68055022
>>68055123
>implying 2's screenplay is mediocre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RikwadPyaE0
>>
File: 1459891606045.jpg (8 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1459891606045.jpg
8 KB, 236x236
>>68054871
>Raimi's Spiderman was good
>Therefore they need to make superhero movies for the rest of eternity
This is why capeshit needs to fuckin die

STOP MAKING THE SAME MOVIE OVER AND OVER AGAIN
>>
>>68055123
Why are you still breathing?
>>
>>68055150
Yup, Venom wasn't supposed to be in the movie.
>>
>>68055165
>>implying 2's screenplay is mediocre
I never said it was mediocre, I said it was bad. Mediocre is average. 2 was badly written and was saved by excellent direction.
This is what happens when you go from the guy who wrote Jurassic Park to the guys who showran Smallville.

>>68055191
Any time you want to make an actual point, I'm ready for it.
>>
Raimi's Spiderman was dark without getting lost in the darkness

It was the perfect blend of campy and serious
>>
>>68055200
I figured cause many of the decisions in that film didn't seem like Raimi would make them or was forced upon
>>
>>68054871
>What went so terribly wrong, /tv/

How much shit can we cram into one film for fan service.
>>
>>68055242

>2 was badly written

provide some examples then
>>
File: 1402844509187.png (783 KB, 800x446) Image search: [Google]
1402844509187.png
783 KB, 800x446
I'm glad that more people see SM1 as better than SM2 as time goes on.

MJ and Dock Ock brought the movie down so much.
>>
>>68055200
If Venom wasnt there it'd be even worse. We'd have shit bland sandman and no emo parker scenes
>>
>>68055242
>2 was badly written
Fuck off. By capeshit standards, it's a work of pure genius.
>>
>>68055200

This was he stupidest fucking move possible.

It'd be the same as if they threw in one of the most iconic Batman villains (say mr. Freeze) in the last 10 minutes of the movie, cast a washed up old comedic twink to play the part, and then had batman kill him in I'm a 40 second fight to end the movie.

Fuck this made me mad. The rest of it was shit anyway and no, the emo scenes were cringey as fuck ribbit tier memes and dragged out way too long. They knew movies end after the 3rd so they must have purposely fucked it.
>>
>>68055150
Venom was originally not part of the script and the film focused entirely on Sandman and the New Goblin.
>>
>>68055376
>the emo scenes were cringey as fuck ribbit tier memes and dragged out way too long
Shit taste, the emo scenes were hilarious.
>>
File: j.png (116 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
j.png
116 KB, 444x440
>end of Spiderman 1
>Spiderman is about to fight the Green Goblin
>he gets his fucking ass kicked and beaten to a bloody pulp
>scene has no music and barely any sound apart from his screaming

that shit freaked me out as a kid
>>
>>68055344

Black suit spiderman is not the same as venom. Topher Grace was venom.
>>
>>68055448

>ends with Goblin getting pinned to a wall by his own glider

Shit was hardcore
>>
>>68055022
haven't seen them in a long time but i thought molina scenes were comfy as fuck back then.

i'm pretty sure we can say that raimi is responsible for everything good and memorable in those movies, along with everyone who helped create the actions sequences.
>>
>>68055448
Great scene.
Helps how it isn't over choreographed or has annoying camera work like most new action movies.
>>
File: The Man.webm (3 MB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
The Man.webm
3 MB, 1280x528
>>68054871
well the first hulk movie tried to make the first real capekino and failed horribly
i think that spiderman 2 was in post during HULK's release so it still had some dignity but then HULK bombed because audiences were too pleb to enjoy any of Ang Lees nuances. That made execs realize that theres no money in real capekino so we all got dancing peter parker
>>
>>68055268
Well, I already offered several.

>Harry becoming a parody of himself
>MJ and Peter's arc
>Doc Ock < Green Goblin

On top of those I'd also add the sub-plot of Peter giving up his Spider-Manliness. I was so disappointed that he loses the powers and ditches the suit because of stress and then instantly gets his powers back and retrieves his suit a very short while later after MJ gets taken. It's like Gough and Millar knew they'd never get another shot at the big screen (well, they went on to such big things as Herbie: Fully Loaded and the third Mummy movie) so they just crammed as much nonsense into the movie as they could.

Then you've got the general, overall step down in quality in terms of dialogue and narrative. I'll grant that "It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind!" is a shit line from the first movie, but with that one line aside? Koepp is leagues ahead of anything SM2's four writers brought into the mix.

>>68055360
I don't judge movies "by capeshit standards". Just because most capeshit is badly written doesn't mean SM2 was not. And SM1 was written very well.

>>68055540
Yeah, absolutely. Like I said, the train sequence is astounding. It's just a really bad script.
>>
http://screencrush.com/spider-man-3-isnt-bad/

>It didn’t help matters when Raimi picked Topher Grace to play Venom’s alter ego, Eddie Brock. But Grace’s contentious casting, and a new backstory that made Brock less of a imposing beast and more of an obnoxious sleaze, were important to ‘Spider-Man 3’’s motif of evil doubles. Grace’s Eddie Brock is more of a doppelgänger for Peter Parker than the comic-book version ever was; he’s a fellow freelance photographer for the Daily Bugle who hustles for pictures of Spider-Man, and with his slight build, he looks very similar to Maguire. And there are doubles throughout ‘Spider-Man 3’: There are good and bad versions of Peter (before and after he puts on the Venom suit), and good and bad versions of Harry Osborn (James Franco, before and after he bangs his head and suffers from amnesia). Peter has two love interests—his longtime girlfriend Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and his new classmate Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard)—and the film is littered with shots of Peter or his alter ego reflected in mirrors, buildings, and framed Daily Bugle front pages.
Sony

>For all the goofing on Venom, Raimi also uses him effectively as a way to tie all these doubles together, and to connect them to the screenplay’s themes about forgiveness and revenge. Almost every major character in the film is wronged by one of the other major characters—Peter by Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), who murdered his uncle; Harry by Peter, who murdered his father (or so he believes); Mary Jane by Peter, who is too distracted by Spider-Man’s fame to support her during a rough time; Eddie by Peter, who reveals Eddie’s forged photographs and ruins his career. Each must then choose whether to forgive the others for their mistakes, or to let their anger consume and destroy them. The Venom suit itself serves as a blunt but effective symbol of that rage.

Fuck BvS, SM3 is true capekino.
>>
File: 1425975410148.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1425975410148.gif
2 MB, 500x281
I've never been super nostalgic for anything except maybe some specific PS2 games, but I think 10 years from now I'll be looking back at Spider Man 1 and 2 like other people look back at T2 or Aliens.

I forgot how often I watched them and how much I remember.
>>
>>68054871
3 while bad is still miles ahead than modern capeshit
>>
>>68055617
But Spider-Man 3 is capekino.
>>
>>68055639

>Harry becoming a parody of himself

In what sense? His progression based on his beleif that Spiderman killed his father is natural

>MJ and Peter's arc

It served the purpose it needed to, you don't watch these films for cuties romance stuff anyway. It's just a side plot

>Doc Ock < Green Goblin

Your opinion, i personally prefer Doc Ock the arms being almost sentient beings was an interesting turn on Doc Ock. Also the hospital scene is fantastic, straight out of a horror movie
>>
>>68054871
1 - 7.5/10
2 - 8/10
3 - 6.5/10
>>
>>68055767
>you don't watch these films for cuties romance stuff anyway. It's just a side plot
Yes, this is my point.
Either the romance "side plot" is necessary and should've been handled better, or it was unnecessary and should've been omitted.
By half-arsing it in there, all it does it bring the average quality of the movie down and detract fromthe great action sequences.

Now, it's fine to like the movie despite some goofy side plot you don't care about, but if you're comparing it to its predecessor which had action scenes nearly as good and a love story far greater, I don't understand what your issue is with me saying that one's the superior film.
>>
>>68055617
>you will never be able to tap into raimi-humor at will
>>
>>68055732
ayyyyyy it really is bvs
>>
>>68055732

That's just the damage control. They needed a reason for stuffing the movie with villains and characters and the horribly miscast Topher Grace.
>>
>Spiderman 3 was actually great, the emo scenes were hilarious xD also 1 and 2 were shit

I hate this new meme
>>
Clocktower into train sequence is GOAT
>>
>>68056110
the emo scenes are funny though
>>
>>68055909

>A side plot drags the whole quality of a film down

No it doesn't you autist
>>
>>68054871
Eddie Brock is supposed to buff as fuck. But they cast some string bean pin dick? What the fuck? They ruined venom. Literally the best anti-hero/villian
>>
>>68056110
>also 1 and 2 were shit
I've never seen a Spider-Man 3 fan say that. Even the biggest SM3 fans admit that SM1 and SM2 are better.
>>
File: don lmao.jpg (214 KB, 345x336) Image search: [Google]
don lmao.jpg
214 KB, 345x336
>>68055766
pppbbbbttttt
ppssshh
ttsshhh
pfffttt
ttssss
no
>>
>>68056148
>you're autistic if you believe something bad in the movie detracts from the movie's overall quality
... of course it does.
>>
>>68056210

What about this guy

>>68055096
>>
>>68055022
Spider-Man 1 was 10/10
Spider-Man 2 was 11/10
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u42zRlrBYbs

spiderman 3 is legitimate capekino, this is the best scene in any capeshit movie hands down
>>
The only bad part about 3 was the scene in the bar with spiderman playing piano and dancing, rest was fine. 6/10 movie
>>
>>68054871
>What went so terribly wrong, /tv/?
Studio meddling. They basically drove Rami crazy after spider man 2 because they smelled money.

I remember back in the day the talk was that Sony wanted to keep rami on for another 2 or 3 pictures after his 3 movie deal was up. The Lizard would have obviously been in one of them.
>>
>>68060210
thats the best part tho
>>
>>68060242
lizard and vulture for 4

with like two more planned after that and venom having his own movie

John Malkovic was gonna be vulture and i'll never not hate sony and sweaty fanboys for fucking it up
>>
>>68055639
>"It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind!" is a shit line

ok, NOW I agree with those other guys who told you to kill yourself
>>
>>68060242

It all fell apart once Toby said he wanted to stop doing Spiderman
>>
>>68060325
Rami had enough of it as well. Brian Eno said he would never work with him again because of what a miserable bastard he was during the production of 3.

I think the leaks confirm anything its that Sony is the worst studio in the world.
>>
>>68056202
The rumor I always heard back when the movie had just come put was that Raimi hated Venom and didn't want to use him, but the studio forced Venom into the movie so Raimi sabotaged the whole thing.
>>
2 was so fucking it's unbelievable. Does ne1 even care at marble right now??? give me a break
>>
>>68060412

>I think the leaks confirm anything its that Sony is the worst studio in the world.

I dunno about that. When the big wage fixing cartel went down in 2012 some of the emails indicated that Sony was one of the few studios not playing ball.
>>
Is 2 being great a meme? The first was so much better.
>>
>>68060602
I kind of hate the green goblin, and 2 was just solid all the way through.
>>
>>68054871
for the flaws of SM3, its still better than both ASM movies.

jesus sony really screwed the pooch. I mean SM3 still made tons of money, instead of just continuing with newer stories (even allowing for cast changes) they rebooted it to a total mess
>>
File: Brian-Eno-And-David-Bowie.jpg (100 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
Brian-Eno-And-David-Bowie.jpg
100 KB, 1200x630
>>68060412
>Brian Eno said he would never work with him again because of what a miserable bastard he was during the production of 3.
Wait, what? Brian Eno was involved with Spider-Man 3?
>>
File: 1336343921936.jpg (417 KB, 877x1300) Image search: [Google]
1336343921936.jpg
417 KB, 877x1300
>>68054871
what went wrong?

fucking over bloated storylines with too many villains. just look at sm3, they have like 4 different stories going at the same time, as if the movie was designed to be a 4+ hour epic. sandman was completely unnecessary.

that said, i really love the first two anyway - its just the third one that i can't stomach even today, i had such huge hopes too.
>>
>tfw I was hyped going into SM3
>turned out to be total shit
>tfw I was hyped as fuck going into TDKR
>it was total shit
>tfw Cap is my favorite MCU hero and hyped for his third film
>>
>>68061378
>it was total shit
Nice try.
>>
>>68061128

>Implying based Sandman was the problem with SM3

Sandman was the story Raimi wanted to tell, it was shoving Venom in at Sony's demand that screwed the pooch. If they'd teased the symbiote at the end and then gone full Venom in 4 (Like, they could've just adapted the animated series Venom story and it would've been great) Spider-Man would be an ongoing movie franchise to this day.
>>
>>68061483
Yeah, you can even keep the black suit and introduce brock like they did, but save venom for spider man 4. You could even cock tease venom as a stinger at the end.
>>
>>68054871
>rewatching Spider-Man 1 the other day
>they mention Eddie Brock in the daily bugle scene where they're looking for good photos of Spider-Man
>two movies later he's the new guy
What was Raimi thinking?
>>
>>68061696
He didn't give a shit. The studio made him put it in and he said fuck it.
>>
I still can't get over how fucking stupid New Goblin was.

Why not take some creative liberties and just make Harry Hobgoblin? And not give him such a shitty suit and glider.
>>
>>68061931
>we want to mt. dew audience
>>
SM 3 isn't that bad. It's just overstuffed with villains and the venom casting was bad. It still retains much of the tone and charm of the other two, and the "dark" spidey scenes were fantastic.
>>
>>68054871
SONY
O
N
Y
>>
>>68055448
>>68055562
This song fits well with that scene. Im not kidding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceoJnIJO1zM
>>
>>68062119
Topher is fine for Brock if he's supposed to be a dark mirror of peter. But they had to condense and shoe horn all of his character in between three other story lines, so it was just unsatisfying.
>>
Why didn't he bang BASED Ursula?

All the cookies she made, that obvious wanting of his dick.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.