[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People say nothing happens in Better Call Saul but that show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Vinyl.png (1 MB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
Vinyl.png
1 MB, 1280x718
People say nothing happens in Better Call Saul but that show has progressed shitloads compared to Vinyl where truly nothing happens.
>>
American seasons are too long.
>>
Vinyl is the biggest disappointment of the year so far
>>
>time period dramas

lol
>>
It also has the worst HBO OP I've ever seen.
>>
Vinyl is exactly what I expected...and thats just it. It doesn't do anything to wow me or keep me hooked (plot-wise) and the only reason why I watch it is for the music. It's just an "ok" show and thats it, it ticks a lot of boxes but doesn't do anything else. My biggest anticipation of the year though is Westworld
>>
>>68053705

>nothing happens

this is basically the secondmost stupidest criticism of any show, film, or fictive narrative. the first being the oft used "pretentious."
>>
At least Olivia Wilde went nude
>>
I like Vinyl. It has very good performances from its actors and it's moderately well written. It certainly isn't as intriguing as Boardwalk Empire though and I'm a bit sick of the "hey look at this 1970s music celebrity" in every episode

I like that the protagonist is a hopeless drug addict and that episode that follows him on a weekend-long bender is actually really great, probably my favorite of the season
>>
>>68053705
You are wrong
>>
HBO has been serving shit and calling it filet mignon for about 3 years now.
>>
>>68055187
i agree. that was an award-worthy episode. i loved how they used Buddy Holly at the end.

from general consensus of colleagues and friends, many of them did not see past the first hour of the pilot. it's strange when Scorsese's initial episode is the weakest and a muddled start to the series. i don't think the show has recovered from that initial misstep and plenty of people won't tune in because of it.
>>
The show is dead
https://deadline.com/2016/04/vinyl-showrunner-terence-winter-exits-hbo-1201734449/
>>
>>68055389
just about. i mean, they're getting the guy who showran Minority Report series to helm the second season. that does not bode well at all.
>>
Aside from the blatant "omg it's David Bowie" 'omg look its Bob Marley and the Wailers playing and John Lennon just happens to be in the same club, how amazing!" the show is actually pretty good. It's just that the things that would have made it ultra-edgy and cool 15 years ago (drugs, craziness etc) has been done so much that it doesn't offer anything new anymore in 2016. Had it come out 10 years ago the reception would have been better.

It's a shame, Bobby Cannavale does such a fantastic job in this.

Terrence Winter is objectively not a great showrunner. He is seemingly not concerned in the slightest about entertaining the audience. Boardwalk Empire was great, but not as great as it could have been and that show basically disregarded "entertaining" the audience completely.

You can also really tell that Vinyl was rushed like crazy. Scripts aren't that tight, music blares through everything, overall story hasn't been fleshed out properly. The only really good thing that the show has gotten right is the setting and the actors and characters. Even Scorsese's direction of the first episode wasn't great (neither was his Boardwalk ep desu) and he somehow managed to make himself look like a second-rate Scorsese impersonator.
>>
>>68055607
i don't see how it was rushed since i remember reading about a Winter/
Scorsese/Jagger production a year or more before it was even announced. however, i think they may have scrapped original plotlines and also the obnoxious v/o work from the pilot late into production because you're right, the show isn't as tightly written as it could have been.
>>
>>68053705
>>68053965
>>68054144
>>68054009

Why do SJW's hate based Vinyl so much?
>>
>>68055825

Thats basically what I meant. It's been "in development" as an idea Mick Jagger probably came up with high on cocaine one night 20 years ago
>>
>>68056544
yeah, i bet. the show's demographics were niche at best. i think that's why Winter and Co. included a murder plot to broaden its appeal, which has had the opposite effect. man, it really sucks the show did not live up to its potential. i think an effort a little more grounded would have garnered more favorable reviews. but that's rock n roll. messy, muddled, and at time obnoxious, kind of like the show.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.