[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is binge watching bad for the brain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 10
File: homer-simpson.jpg (29 KB, 415x260) Image search: [Google]
homer-simpson.jpg
29 KB, 415x260
>>
>>68045998
why would it be bad for the brain?

It's bad if you want a true grasp on the show, because at the end of it, you're not gonna have a very nuanced understanding of the show on an episode to episode basis, you'll just remember the broad strokes.
>>
>>68045998
I just binge watched the first episode of Rome and feel braindead. Taking a break now.
>>
>>68047601
>this meme
>>
>>68047622
It was almost an hour. It's not like marathoning an episode of 2 and 1/2 men.
>>
File: julia roberts.jpg (15 KB, 236x300) Image search: [Google]
julia roberts.jpg
15 KB, 236x300
>he binge watches
>>
File: sandra bullock.jpg (8 KB, 236x191) Image search: [Google]
sandra bullock.jpg
8 KB, 236x191
>he binge watches
>>
File: who the fuck is this.jpg (66 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
who the fuck is this.jpg
66 KB, 600x450
>he binge watches

>>
File: 1458500654959.png (38 KB, 1356x1178) Image search: [Google]
1458500654959.png
38 KB, 1356x1178
>>68047661
>>68047687
I do, and many like me. wanna know why?
Because I get back from a week at work, want to snuggle with my girl on the couch and enjoy eachothers warmth and cuddliness while we watch a show together.

You should try it. ;-)
>>
File: some bitch.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
some bitch.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>he binge watches

>>
File: that bitch.jpg (23 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
that bitch.jpg
23 KB, 300x225
>he binge watches
>>
File: 1424063401713.png (54 KB, 180x199) Image search: [Google]
1424063401713.png
54 KB, 180x199
>not watching shows at the same time and day of the week they originally aired
>not pausing to simulate commercial breaks
>being the tv equivalent of sughumans who shove popcorn in their mouth in handfuls
>>
File: dat bitch.jpg (147 KB, 634x1121) Image search: [Google]
dat bitch.jpg
147 KB, 634x1121
>he binge watches
>>
Yes, binge watching is also for plebs on courses such as "American studies". I tend to marathon my episode, just last week I managed to marathon the entirity of Better Call Saul Episode 6, though towards the end I was feeling fidgety.
>>
>binge watching
>not marathoning episodes
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-09-12-38-01-1.png (343 KB, 1440x1424) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-09-12-38-01-1.png
343 KB, 1440x1424
I don't think it's bad for the brain, but I do think you miss out on retaining a lot of the little moments and details if you're trying to process six hours of something in one sitting. Then again, a lot of TV is shallow shit that has the bare minimum of content, so you may as well blaze through that.
>>
It's bad for society. Used to be the case that everyone would be watching a show at the same time, so you'd watch an episode, maybe wait for a couple of days for stragglers to catch a rerun, and then you'd talk about the show with your mates who were watching the show, because you knew you were all at the same stage of the show, and you had a week to mull things over before the net episode. Nowadays everyone's got a list of stuff they plan to binge on netflix, but everyone's doing it at different times. If a popular TV show comes up in conversation it's greeted with "I haven't seen it yet" or "I'm only half way through, don't spoil anything". TV shows were a focal point to draw people together and get some communal discourse going, because it was something we were all experiencing together, and now it's become something you do on your own, whenever you feel like it. We can't talk about TV any more, not really. And what's it been replaced by? The shitty state of contemporary politics? Leftists don't want to talk about it because they're faced with too many uncomfortable truths, rightists don't want to talk about it because they're constantly shouted down by the leftists. Memes? I fucking hate people who talk about memes, if you've ever had a real life discussion about memes you should kill yourself.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.