[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they keep trying to paint him as evil incarnate? >Rick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 11
Why do they keep trying to paint him as evil incarnate?

>Rick & Co. kill literally dozens of his men
>is content to only kill one in return
>makes sures zombies are no longer a problem for the communities under his control
>does not allow his men to rape
>inspires unwavering loyalty in his men
>has female soldiers too so is an equal opportunities employer

Will he be the most misunderstood character in television? Is he our Adolf Hitler?
>>
I really dont care because he looks like shit

Ill just wait for the arc to pass
>>
>>68012752
He is the equivalent of cartels making people pay protection money

>give us half your shit and u can live in perfect safety
>don't and i'll murder every last one of you with my bat
>or eventually die by having nothing for yourself
>>
>>68012752
Did you forget all those Polaroids of people getting their heads bashed in?
>>
>>68012810
So he's basically a post-apocalyptic Tony Soprano. That's not so bad.

>>68012828
One would assume that those are people who broke the law, since Negan prefers submission over punishment.
>>
He's not evil incarnate. Read the interviews, it's clear everyone sees him as an antihero.
>>
>>68012803
Negan is still alive in the comics though. We're guranteed to have him for at least longer than we had The Governor.
>>
>>68012803
>he looks like shit
He looks like Javier Bardem
>>
>>68012752
fuck all that, just tell me who the fuck he killed.
>>
>>68012873
What fucking law? By not submitting to a thug and his band of racketeers?

>>68012810
I really wish we had a Walking Dead storyline centered in the Southwest. Can you imagine Mexican drug cartels carving out kingdoms and waging war against US ranchers, Texas Rangers, Native American tribes, etc.?
>>
>>68012936
Alexandria's law or Savior's law - what different does it make.

Negan has literally been more forgiving and merciful than Rick would ever be.
>>
>>68012873
Delusional
>>
File: pay the toll.jpg (127 KB, 930x638) Image search: [Google]
pay the toll.jpg
127 KB, 930x638
>>68012928
Spoiler image shows the scene from the comics, if you want to know.
>>
You could argue with negan that he needs more men. people with actual skills like knowing medicine, engineering, farming and agriculture are extremely important over just having a bunch of brutes taking shit with no return.

In reality, guys like negan can only go so far and is only upheld by the people he has. Sociopaths don't last long if they just take and take and get off on power trips.

In a real world scenario I would like him to help cover ground and clean the roads for easy transport of supplies as well as covering ground near and inside powerplants so that the engineers can work and get things running back to normal. Then do the same with factories and figure out ways to get resources to make goods.

Negan is a dumb ass to just keep murdering people over a power trip. But he can steer the herd.
>>
>>68012752
They way he kills is what's evil.
Why can't he just shoot them in the head?
>>
>>68012979
Alexandria doesn't kill people on a whim or make "examples".

Rick had to deal with psychos like the Governor, Terminus, and the Wolves. No shit he's edgy but even he's not a sociopathic asshole who shakes down other settlements for their stuff.
>>
>>68012752
no matter how good you are. If you enjoy beating somebodies head in with a bat.

Your not right in the head.
>>
>>68012990
Not really. It's harsh as fuck but makes perfect sense given the circumstances they live in.

How the fuck is it any different to the government knocking on your door if you don't pay your taxes?
>>
he killed the camera therefore justifying his badness status
>>
Rick killed dozens of people he didn't know because some other people he didn't know promised him groceries for it. I think they're both equally bad.
>>
>>68013028
Why didn't Negan just organize his army as a settlement? Or work alongside peaceful settlements to build civilization?

What you suggested is exactly what Negan and the Saviors should be doing. Work alongside survivors and act as their military/police force.
>>
JDM is my first daddyfu. Fucckk I want his Lucille in my boipussy complete with the barbed wire and all.
>>
>>68013025

Thanks, man. I know Glenn gets it in the comic, but after the ruse cruise with the dumpster I don't know if they're gonna go with him in the show. I've got a feeling it's Abe or Daryl. It just pisses me off that they cliffhangered it, it was a bad move.
>>
File: GarethBody.png (404 KB, 687x383) Image search: [Google]
GarethBody.png
404 KB, 687x383
>>68013072
Better to hack them to pieces with a machete?
>>
why are they called the "saviors"
>>
>>68013112

Jesus, dude. Reel it in.
>>
>>68013118
i think it's gonna be eugene or abraham T B H
>>
>>68013110
Peace implies cooperation. And in a world where resources are as limited as they are in TWD, conflict is more likely than cooperation. Just look how Rick's group basically says to Hilltop: 'You either accept our proposal or we take it by force'.

The Saviors create peace; a forced peace, yes, but still peace.

They are literally like the Romans.
>>
>>68013074
>How the fuck is it any different to the government knocking on your door if you don't pay your taxes?
Who the fuck elected the Saviors to be the government? The settlements didn't need his so-called protection since they have walls. He's a racketeer, pure and simple.
>>
>>68013074

Ding ding ding

Don't pay your taxes long enough and refuse any orders, and your door will be kicked in with thugs coming to get you.
>>
>>68013109
Did you forget the part where those Hilltop people got killed and captured by Negan? And how Negan forced one of them to kill Gregory or else his brother would be killed? All because the Saviors decided they wanted more from Hilltop?

And those Polaroids of people getting their heads bashed confirms that the Saviors were definitely the lesser of the two evils. The Hilltop doesn't even have guns, they had 2 guys with fucking spears.
>>
>>68013243
>Who the fuck elected the Saviors to be the government?
But that's not how government works.

Might makes right even in our own world, let alone a world which is literally probably the most hostile humans have ever lived in/
>>
>>68013133
Terminus were cannibals that were hell-bent on coming after Rick and his people. Keep in mind, all this shit happened right after the Governor's attack on the prison and almost becoming butchered meat. No shit they went crazy.
>>
>>68012803

you're gonna be waiting a couple of years friend.
>>
>>68013217
The Saviors don't do shit. When a massive Walker infestation happens or another organized group of bandits attack, they'd probably just ignore it.
>>
>>68013110
Like I said, there are people who seriously think and would act on being a king and having a power trip over people without thinking about the details.

Case in point, Escobar knew about the business of drugs and became a philanthropist to support his people which in turn makes loyalty. And then we have some real fucking scumbags in Congress who do nothing but make policies for themselves and cut the average person down from ever making a real change with the use of the Fed and money based on nothing.

If negan gave me that "give me your shit" speech, I would argue that what does he offer other than terrorism? If my people were made up of doctors, farmers, builders and engineers, then he would have no ground to make an example. Army is valuable but knowledge is priceless.
>>
>>68012752

That's really the whole point of The Walking Dead, we see everything through Rick and co's POV so we have to assume the groups they are fighting against are evil when there is no moral area and they are doing what they have to do to survive. Everyone just does what they have too in order to live.
>>
>>68013297
Good point but I would argue we only see one half of the story.

Maybe the Saviors ran into a food shortage and that's why they demanded more, rather than doing it just to be dicks. Again, it's no different to a government raising taxes during, say, wartime.
>>
Because the story is not from his, but Rick's POV.- It is showing how far off the deep end Rick is seeing the monster in himself (when he sees it in Negan)

It's bab's first meta commentary piece how are you this fucking STUPID fucking NJIGGER
>>
>>68013410
Kek, the whole 'humans are the real walking dead/monsters' is the most pleb interpretation of any film/show/book where it's humans vs 'the other'.
>>
All I know is Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a lot more likable than Andrew Lincoln. If they cast that meme from The Strain and Lost as Negan I wouldn't be a Negan fan already.
>>
>>68013186
>>68013118

It's probably Abe after they spent the season hamming up his "finding a reason to live" shtick
>>
>>68013476
It's not that. It's about Rick seeing his reflection in Negan and being too retarded to get it.
>>
>>68013359
>If my people were made up of doctors, farmers, builders and engineers, then he would have no ground to make an example. Army is valuable but knowledge is priceless.
Precisely this. The new social class and currency in a post-apocalyptic landscape are the ones with applicable skills like agriculture, medicine, engineering, etc.

Meanwhile, anyone in finance, accounting, management, etc. would be worthless. Their knowledge can't grow crops or build anything.
>>
>>68013488
If they want maximum impact then it has to be Glenn. He's got the most to lose out of any of the others in that line.

Glenn has a woman and a child to lose. It's even more tragic since he'll never even get to meet his own child. (Abe has a woman but not a child; and Rick is obviously immune from death.)
>>
>>68013394
If they wanted more food, here's a fucking thought: Help out with the settlements to raise more crops. I grew up in Nebraska and it amazes me how urbanites look down on "flyover states" despite the fact we feed those fat fuckers.

And a government has to provide service and protection to its people. The Saviors don't do this shit.
>>
>>68013589
True, but if it were really Glenn I feel like they would have actually shown it as the season finale. It was supposed to be Glenn and that's what everyone is expecting, so of course theyre going to change it.
>>
>>68013607
True.

But the counterpoint to that is, from their POV, building can only be done once the foundation is set.
And governments are always their most chaotic in the early period, and that's what we're seeing.

We have a microcosm of this in Rick when he first arrives at Alexandria when he basically says to the others that the Alexandrians will either do things our way or we take it by force.
>>
>>68013325
And, objectively, what Rick's group do to the Saviors is far more serious than what Terminus did to Rick's group.

Using the laws of this universe, Negan would've been well within his rights to kill all of them.
>>
>>68013554
>Their knowledge can't grow crops or build anything

But they can learn. Like I pointed out earlier, when the roads are cleaned up, and everyone is sustained to a minimum you can then begin to educate.
The more people you recruit the more you can expand and sustain more people enough to just let a few devote purley to education and research.

Those accountants would need to keep track of resources to give estimates on rationing.

I'm sure powerplants always have a tutorial book somewhere in the building also, nothing is out of reach if it is already established before.
>>
>>68013689
No, they didn't show it because they want as many people tuning in for the next season's premiere as possible.

They completely fucked it up, though. A cliffhanger is supposed to make you want to see what happens NEXT, not to frustrate you with blueballs.
>>
>>68013503
Rick doesn't bash people's heads in to prove a point. Even in full-out Ricktator mode, he's far from Negan.

It's interesting how Shane, the Governor, and Negan all reflect what Rick could be like on the barometer of ruthlessness. Rick's definitely at Shane's level, but not quite at Governor or Negan level yet.

>>68013392
If the Saviors were portrayed as more gray, I'd agree with this. If Negan didn't do his head bashings or forcing the Hilltop to kill Gregory, I'd actually empathize with them. Remember the redhead that captured Carol and Maggie? We saw a glimpse of what sort of people the Saviors are: desperate survivors that do what they need to because they have no other choice.
>>
OP here.

>tfw made this thread as a shitpost to troll
>actual discussion ensued

Bretty good.
>>
We pissing our pants yet?
>>
Who else hyped for Ezekiel?
>>
>>68013766
Did you forget about those Saviors that tried to kill Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham? They drew first blood and

>>68013693
We see absolutely nothing from the Saviors that justifies this line of argument. If Negan set up garrisons in each settlement to defend it as well as help out with the work, I would be rooting for him. But all the Saviors do is leech off of others and keep killing precious survivors.

>>68013803
That's true. People can learn, but upper class people doing grunt work is something I can't see a lot of them doing. A few will adapt, but the rest will see it as beneath them.

>Those accountants would need to keep track of resources to give estimates on rationing.
Pssh, anyone with a grasp of math and science can do a spreadsheet of expenditure.

>I'm sure powerplants always have a tutorial book somewhere in the building also, nothing is out of reach if it is already established before.
You make it sound like anyone can just operate a power plant. Depending on what energy source it is, whether coal, nuclear, hydroelectric, etc., you're going to need people who know how to repair and maintain the equipment as well as monitor its daily output and readings. That takes a lot of expertise from plant employees and/or instructors from technical schools.
>>
>>68013868
I don't know if it's actually shitposting because it is interesting to note that the Saviors have women in their ranks as well as non-whites. There's blacks and even that Asian dude that Carol encountered.

Speaking of which, anyone else notice there's a fuckton of Asian guy in this show? Besides Glenn, the Governor had an Asian dude, there was an Asian cop in the Atlanta hospital, and that Asian Savior I mentioned.

Meanwhile, I don't think we've seen an Asian girl besides that halfie Savior that Maggie talked to.
>>
>>68013997

Will Rick get cucked again? I can imagine they would have him go directly to The Saviors base instead of Carl and Michonne would fear him dead, cue Ezekiel taking advantage of the situation when they are on an envoy mission to The Kingdom.
>>
>>68013997
I hope they get David Fennoy to play him.
>>
>>68014056
A Tojo woman cop is a main character in Fear The Walking Dead Season 2. Survives a plane crash somehow
>>
>>68012810
So basically he is creating a new country where you pay taxes or suffer punishment, and is a mostly fair ruler?
Seems fair, do you know how old nations formed? Jesus nigga.

I mean WHY do you pay taxes? To not ve threatened by the IRS and to be the recipient of benefits.
Why pay taxes to Negan? To not be threatened by his men and be the recipient of venefits
>>
>>68012810
Good description of the federal government lel.
>>
>>68014216
>To not be threatened by his men and be the recipient of venefits
And what benefits would those be?
>>
>>68014315
Not getting raped by zombies.

Similar to back in 1000 bc where the benefit was 'not getting raped by other groups'
>>
>>68014497
They're already getting raped by the Saviors.

Shit, even Woodbury made more sense than this.
>>
File: 1459585270808.jpg (238 KB, 2048x1972) Image search: [Google]
1459585270808.jpg
238 KB, 2048x1972
>>68012752
>tfw season 7 is a whodunit based around Rick, using his police skills, to figure who Negan killed
>tfw when we'll only find out at the end of season 7
>>
>>68013607
>fly over states
>useful
>not realizing you are sucking on the tit of the government to grow corn

lel
>>
>>68014056
>because it is interesting to note that the Saviors have women in their ranks as well as non-whites
I don't think it is.

When faced with an existential threat, you don't have the luxury of being picky. You even see this in early Daryl who is a borderline racist but grows to love Glenn (remember he says to his hillbilly brother: 'He's not Chinese, he's Korean').
You could argue that women should be protected to ensure there will be a next generation but no settlement we have seen is anywhere near safe enough (only Woodbury comes close) to realistically allow security for 9 months at a time and this is kinda a moot point anyway since a miscarriage could potentially lead to a zombie inside you.

For a real life equivalent, look at the Kurds and Yazidis in the Middle East. Just as many women fight as the men even in a society that heavily believes in gender roles.
>>
>>68012752
>Why do they keep trying to paint him as evil incarnate?

But they don't ? I felt like he was kind of crazy yeah but reasonnable too, if he was "evil" incarnate he'd probably give all the girls of the group to his men to be raped, then torture the rest and kill them all
>>
>>68014679
I know, but realistically, you're gonna have people dead-set in their prejudices. Even an apocalypse won't change their minds.

I mean, there's bound to be a group of survivors or a settlement full of WASPs and they see this as a perfect opportunity to "cleanse" the land of minorities. Like those white supremacists based in Idaho. They have their own communities as base camps and everything.
>>
>>68014681
I don't see him as evil either. He's more like a medieval leader of a war band. Ruthless and bloodthirsty at times, but he actually maintains order and discipline in his ranks.
>>
>>68014825

Why would this go for the Saviors? They are basically an 80's movie street gang, I don't get why you think it should be expected for them to be segregated racially.
>>
>>68014966
>They are basically an 80's movie street gang
LOL, that's an apt description.

What I mean is, I'm surprised we haven't seen outright racism amongst survivors. Merle was a dickwad, but nowhere near what I was describing.

Like somebody giving Maggie shit for breeding with an Oriental for example.
>>
>>68014521
It's called the chain of command/chain of rape.
The big fish rapes the small fish, but he also stops the other big fishes from raping the small fish.
So pick between gang rape or rape.
>>
I'm hoping they keep developing Rick to be more brutal.

First he was the prototypical good boy.
Then he basically became Shane.
Now he's on the verge of becoming the Governor.
Hopefully they eventually develop him into a Negan.
>>
Comicfag here.

Did Glen die by getting a face full of that bat yet, or is the show still The Talking Dead?
>>
>>68015150
>Then he basically became Shane.
Yes and no. Shane did the wrong execution of the right idea. Rick is a better leader than Shane ever was. But Shane was right that you had to be a bit more ruthless.
>Now he's on the verge of becoming the Governor.
Rick never kept jars of people's head for lulz. Even in Ricktator mode, he was still several notches below the Governor.
>Hopefully they eventually develop him into a Negan.
He'll probably see that Negan failed to consolidate the settlements together and learn from that. The settlements need to ally with one another and keep in close contact so that they can stand united against aggressors.
>>
>>68015020

Realistically you would probably have a whole bunch of racist groups, but I think that kind of portrayal would be way too controversial and probably hurt the popularity of the show and the comic.
>>
>>68013832
Their demands are too steep. Why do they have to kill one person every time they meet a new group and take half their stuff? There could be potential to show a benevolent side but right now they're just post-apocalyptic racketeers and I have no sympathy for any of them. Besides, their "protection" isn't even all that necessary since the show has gimped the zombies into nothing more than the occassional nuisance.
>>
>>68015390
>Why do they have to kill one person every time they meet a new group and take half their stuff?
Intimidation. Keep people in line.

>There could be potential to show a benevolent side but right now they're just post-apocalyptic racketeers and I have no sympathy for any of them.
Exactly. If they were willing to be mercenaries for people like in exchange for food and medicine, we'll patrol the area and make sure Walker herds and hostile humans don't attack you. We'll also work with you in constructing things, farming, supply runs, etc. Even have Savior garrisons in each settlement just in case.

>Besides, their "protection" isn't even all that necessary since the show has gimped the zombies into nothing more than the occassional nuisance.
Walkers are still dangerous as fuck in large numbers. And look at what the Wolves did. Even those limp-wristed fuckwits fucked up Alexandria and caught everyone off-guard with that truck attack.
>>
>>68015273
>Shane did the wrong execution of the right idea.
Of course he's not a like-for-like copy of Shane, but even though their motivations may differ, for all intents and purposes Rick does things now how Shane always wanted to do.
>Rick never kept jars of people's head for lulz.
I was referring more to his vision for his settlement and way of ruling, rather than individual craziness (though as we have all seen, Rick has danced with insanity too). And like I said, he's one bad day away from becoming the Governor, but he's not there yet.
>He'll probably see that Negan failed to consolidate the settlements together and learn from that.
All Rick ever does is learn from and improve upon his vanquished foes. Of course, in the process he ends up getting closer and closer to become the very thing he was fighting but that's the interesting thing to watch.
>>
I stopped watching Walking Dead when the governor died

Do I really need to see all the stuff that happened after it or can I just jump to this last season already?
>>
>>68015390
>their "protection" isn't even all that necessary since the show has gimped the zombies into nothing more than the occassional nuisance.
That's probably more for budgetary reasons as well as the fact the human conflict is more interesting to observe.

A walker horde is still the most powerful force to reckon with in the TWD universe.
>>
>>68012803
The Governor didn't stick around for long in the comics but he was on the show for two seasons. Negan was introduced in the comics many years ago and is still alive so he'll be on the show for at least three seasons.
>>
>>68015558
The show has progressively gotten better since they left the prison.

And if you liked the Governor, then Negan is not to be missed.
>>
Why does the Walking Dead assume all people behave like niggers without a central government?
There's an obvious democrat agenda with this show, White people have prospered alone against all odds in many years of civilization without a central government AND by cooperating and trading with each other.
At least with Mad Max you have the excuse of it being set in Australia where the resources are sparse and Australians all shitposters, but why would you go full Fist of the North Star in North America?

Lots of land, lots of resources, and the climate won't kill you, everyone has a gun so zombies are as much of a problem as critters.
>>
Will anyone on the show ever say the word "zombie"? It's annoying how they all tapdance around saying it like it's some offensive slur or something.
>>
>>68015636
Fuck off, /pol/.

Though, you do raise a good point. However, shows by necessity have to dramatise the conflict between humans in post-apocalypse situations because watching them work together (which is by and large what would happen) doesn't make for as good entertainment as watching them fight.

But seriously, fuck off.
>>
>>68013097
>beats camera
>shitty blood effect on lens

Who the fuck payed big goy bucks for their media degree for that shit?
>>
>>68015537
>And like I said, he's one bad day away from becoming the Governor, but he's not there yet.
If Rick lost Carl and/or Judith, definitely.

Rick skirted the line with the Governor, but even his way of governance depended on consultation with other survivors like those council meetings the prison had. Plus Rick confided in Hershel a lot, hence that scene where Rick learns to become a farmer.

>>68015604
And you can weaponize Walker herds. Remember what the Wolves did with that trailer and disco ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pgndlBfRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QNR_HfBbE

This is pretty creative I have to admit.

And don't forget the Governor's 1st attack on the prison with that U-Haul truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZF1MJYEVg&nohtml5
>>
>>68015634
that part in which they splitted from each other was horrible though
>>
>>68013488

Yeah i figured the same, but if they had any balls they would kill daryl
>>
>>68015636
Because watching the remnants of humanity fight to death is far more entertaining than watching them work together, you stupid /pol/tard.
>>
>>68015702
In the TWD universe, the concept of a zombie, whether as a cultural phenomenon (I think zombies are mostly found in African folktales) or in media (e.g. Dawn of the Dead), simply 'did not happen'.

The word zombie basically would not appear in any dictionaries in TWD.

It's ridiculous, I know, but the creator has confirmed this.
>>
>>68015636
>a show about the zombie apocalypse should be realistic!
wew lad
>>
>>68015636
Imagine living in a world where you barely have enough to eat. Most people don't know how to hunt and butcher wild game. Or how to grow things. You can't sleep in the fear of having some bandit attack you or Walkers creeping up on you. You'd grow feral as fuck after a few weeks of this shit.

Realistically, people would come together for survival, but there's always gonna be assholes who don't want to work and just go for the easy score of pillage and rape. White, black, Hispanic, Asian. It doesn't matter. Assholes are assholes.
>>
>>68015733
Yeah, but by and large it's been pretty good.

The Terminus arc is probably the best in the series so far (No Sanctuary is still the GOAT episode) and if done properly Negan's arc should top that.
>>
>>68015792
So the band The Zombies never existed either? A world without Time of the Season or She's Not There would be a lesser place by default.
>>
>>68015851
My favorite episode after the pilot is the one where the Governor meets Tara's family. I actually rooted for him in that episode despite being a murderous bastard.
>>
>>68015730
Yeah, Rick is more grounded thanks to his family and the quality of his fellow survivors.

But IIRC, the Governor was just your average Joe before the apocalypse. Rick is in an infinitely more precarious position both emotionally and politically.
>>
Negan and the bullshit cliffhanger has already been discussed to death. I want to talk about how fucking terrible Carol's arc has been. For the last three seasons she has been the most logical character in the show and now she's a woeful mess that's making infuriating decisions. Why is it Rick is the only character on the show who has ever had a decently written moral dilemma?
>>
>>68015924
Well, the Governor is basically the most interesting character in the series thus far and his actor was brilliant.

But Negan should top him if he's done properly. If the Governor is Rick gone crazy, then Negan is Shane gone crazy.
>>
>>68015968
I always wondered what would've happened if the Governor had never lost his wife or his daughter? Would he be a good guy? Because I never understood WHY he wanted to kill Rick's group in the beginning.

After capturing Glenn and Maggie, the Governor can size them up, find out that they're no threat, have them reunite with Andrea, and convince Rick to move in Woodbury.
>>
>>68015202
Tune in next fall to find out
>>
>>68014056

Racial demographics are entirely fucked up and unrealistic in the show.
>>
>>68016054
Who knows.

In the comics, Carol is already dead long before they get to where we are in the show. She commits suicide in the comics so they might be trying to build up to that in the show.
>>
>>68016064
>If the Governor is Rick gone crazy, then Negan is Shane gone crazy.
...That's a pretty interesting way to look at it. Though Shane can't look beyond the present situation. He can't organize and rally people like Negan seems to. Shane is the perfect soldier. He's cold-blooded enough to do what needs to be done, but not the kind of guy that can command an army.

I really wish Shane, Merle, and the Governor hadn't died. Rick could use them against Negan.
>>
>>68016256
The Governor would've never teamed up with Rick and Shane was too much of a loose cannon but Merle could've stuck around. I really miss him.
>>
>>68016079
I think one of the main themes of the series is that we all need something to ground us in our humanity, whether it's family, friends, or beliefs.

When you lose all of that yet you're too stubborn to die, you become the Governor - a pessimist who only brings order to chaos through yet more chaos.
>>
>>68016306
You never know. If all 3 of them were in Alexandria with Rick, they'd all realize that they either work together or get fucked by the Governor.

You're right that Merle could've stuck around. He would've been invaluable in dealing with the Saviors. Probably even warn Rick to scout them out first and not jump the gun.
>>
>>68016256
>Though Shane can't look beyond the present situation. He can't organize and rally people like Negan seems to.
Neither can Negan, apparently, given how he exploits the people he's supposed to be protecting.

I've forgotten most of the early series but Shane was fairly charismatic and intelligent in his own right. However, he had to serve as a foil to Rick so we never got to see much of that side of him.
>>
>>68013997
yeah we need more magic negroes with magic negro powers in this show

we have kong-fu gandhi negro and samurai negro, so it makes sense to add tiger-whisperer negro too.
>>
>>68015924
I liked that episode a lot. I think that one, the pilot and Clear were my favorites. It's too bad the Gov was clearly broken by the apocalypse and couldn't let go of his past life and his paranoia.

I wish Shane had survived too but his stupid obsession with Lori would have probably got him killed anyway.
>>
>>68016341
What frustrates the fuck out of me was that the Governor had a 2nd chance; something nobody really gets in the Walking Dead universe. He had a new wife and daughter to protect. Remember when he tried to take them away and ran into that Walker blockage? He could've easily found another route. Go south or west instead.

He pissed away his chance of happiness because he just had to attack the prison again.
>>
>>68016423
Shane can work well with people like how he did in the camp in Season 1 and on Hershel's farm. But look at how defenseless the camp was to Walkers. He never thought about going to the CDC which was right in Atlanta.

Shane is good as a subordinate leader. A field captain. Rick is a better overall commander because he tries to think of the long-term and several steps ahead.

>>68016440
Yeah, both the Governor and Shane were too fucked-up in the head to remain on the show. Morgan was dangerously close to that too when I saw Clear.

In fact, why the fuck didn't Rick and everyone go Rick's hometown? Morgan had that shit on lockdown and he was only 1 guy.
>>
>>68016447
Exactly, because he was only pretending; chaos is his justice, it's the only way the world made sense to him. He was no longer Philip Blake, he was the Governor through and through.

Rick has an identical mental break post-Lori, but he came back from it.

The Governor is 'gaze into the abyss and the abyss gazes back' personified.

It would've been great to see him become a regular on the show and see his worldview clash with Rick's but shows like this depend on moving from one conflict to the next, so alas.
>>
>>68016628
>It would've been great to see him become a regular on the show and see his worldview clash with Rick's but shows like this depend on moving from one conflict to the next, so alas.

An anon once postulated that the Governor could've gone to Alexandria if he hadn't had car troubles. Imagine the look on Rick's face when he sees "Brian Harriet" in Alexandria.
>>
>>68016628
As a P.S.: We do get to see a spiritual successor of the Rick/Shane or Rick/Governor ideological conflict in Daredevil vs. Punisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX9soLuVVhE

Based Jon Berenthal.
>>
>>68016710
This was a great scene. And I honestly can't blame the Punisher. If criminal scum murdered my wife and kids, I'd go apeshit too.
>>
>>68016447
>>68016628
I kind of thought the whole reason the Governor did the things he did was pride. He was a underling of someone he didn't respect and you could kind of see him murdering other groups if they look like a threat to his rule. He kills the army men because they might change the way the town works since people would probably look to them for leadership, and tries to kill Rick's group because they represent a alternative for his townsfolk. I think he even goes back to the prison because he can't take his loss.
>>
>>68016761
In real life, I would probably take Daredevil's side; but as escapist entertainment, Punisher all the way.
>>
>>68016875
You hit it on the nail. It was all about his ego. Woodbury was his "City Upon a Hill". It was a reflection of his self-assurance and identity. Woodbury was a good community with strong defenses, a semblance of the old world with power and running water. It even had barbecues.

If Alexandria was nearby Woodbury, the Governor would freak out that there's even a better settlement that would make his kingdom look inferior.

Still, he's such a compelling character. David Morissey really gave life to the Governor and I never wanted to root for a bad guy before.
>>
>>68013110

Because Negan isnt a fucking farmer
>>
>>68014586
DR. PEPE
>>
>>68016156
I'm gonna be really pissed if they do that. Carol needs to go back to being an operator. She'll die eventually but she should die with dignity
>>
>>68016875
>>68017016
Yeah, but why is he like that? What compels a middle class family man to turn into the Governor.

Is it inherent/innate? Is it environmental/learnt? When he gets his second chance is good man gone bad going back to being good, or is he a bad man pretending to be good?

The what and how of the Governor is fairly straightforward - it's his psychology (vis-a-vis Rick who goes through much the same) that I think is most fascinating.
>>
>>68017016
he's also the sexiest character after shane

THE LOVE GOV

my gf was so wet for his rapey ways
>>
>>68017016
>I never wanted to root for a bad guy before.
I pretty much always find myself rooting for the bad guys because they're usually more compelling, and it's fictional so I don't have to feel like I'm cheering for ISIS or Robert Mugabe.

e.g.
Shane/Governor/Negan are more compelling than Rick/Carl/Daryl;
Fisk/Punisher are more compelling than Daredevil/Foggy;
Kilgrave is more compelling than Jessica Jones;
Stringer Bell is more compelling than McNulty;
etc.
>>
File: 1460136015545.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
1460136015545.png
108 KB, 400x381
>most threads on /tv/ will never be like this
>most threads on /tv/ will be constant /pol/tard / SJW wars
>>
>>68017339
>stringer bell
>compelling
>pick one

Stringer Bell was a punk ass bitch who didn't have the balls to order kills. He had the chance to get at Avon but he let his stupid emotions get in the way. He lost all the territory because he was blinded by supply-side economics that he learned at fucking community college.

Stringer Bell had no heart. Stringer Bell had no guts.

At least he wasn't Omar Sue.
>>
>>68017419
u wot m8
>>
>>68017204
Not sure. I remember that convo that Rick and the Governor had in that barn. The Governor was working at some desk job and his supervisor was a younger guy who gave him shit. So apparently, he was a guy at a dead-end job who only had his wife and daughter to look forward to in life.

When the apocalypse happened, it gave this mild-mannered guy a chance to be on top for a change. It gave him the opportunity to do things he could never get away with in pre-zombie world. Losing his wife and daughter was what triggered him to becoming a sociopathic dictator.

I think during his 2nd chance, the Governor wanted to die, but he found meaning to his life. The only problem was that he reunited with Martinez and it fucked up his progression. Remember the ceiling leaking in the RV? That was symbolic of how he tried to retain his goodness, but was slowly reverting back to Governor mode. The Walker blockade on the road signified how he couldn't escape from what he was.

But still, it does make you wonder what would've happened if the Governor had managed to go far away from Georgia with his new family? Would he assert control over the new settlement that they find? Or would he be content in being a family man again? There's no Rick, Michonne, Martinez or anyone from his prior life to trigger him.
>>
>>68017419
>>68017339
I have yet to watch The Wire. I loved Homicide: Life on the Streets so would this show be worth watching?
>>
>>68017521
yes it's worth watching but it's just not as great as people say. this is coming from someone who has seen it four or five times.

also don't listen to the season 2 haters. season 2 greatest season.
>>
>>68017521
Yes.

If there is top 10 or even top 5 tv show list without The Wire, into the trash it goes.
>>
>>68017477
All good points.

I still think there's a pretty big jump from being a resentful underling (probably describes most adults desu) to a homicidal tyrant.
>>
File: 1448636141125.jpg (10 KB, 222x225) Image search: [Google]
1448636141125.jpg
10 KB, 222x225
>called the Saviors
>they're actually bad guys
>>
>>68017765
>save yers, kill theyrs
>>
>>68017642
Yeah, but put yourself in a post-apocalyptic world. Nobody else knows who you are and what your backstory is. You can reinvent yourself. You can indulge in any type of depravity you want.

The Webisodes on AMC's Youtube channel featured one storyline where this warehouse employee killed his coworkers the day shit went down and kept the pretty one as a sex slave. In a way, the Walking Dead universe reminds me of The Purge, but only it's 24/7. There's no repercussions to your actions anymore since civilization has gone to shit.

The Governor being a resentful underling for most of his married life and being unfulfilled is the perfect catalyst. Rick might have had marriage problems with Lori from what was implied in Season 1, but it wasn't totally gone. Rick had a job that he seemed to enjoy, his partner was his childhood friend, he had a beautiful wife, and a son. He lived in a good house in a fine neighborhood from the looks of it. The family albums and his personal photos show a happy guy. The Governor may have once had those moments like the old photo of his wife and daughter he kept, but once they died, it all went to shit for him.
>>
File: reeeee.png (145 KB, 451x522) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.png
145 KB, 451x522
>>68013914
>>
>>68017846
But most people who are latent sociopaths are usually misfits in society and not married with children and holding down steady jobs. There's no hint of that with Philip Blake. I think you're right but there are pieces of his story and psyche missing that are a shame to not know.

>The Webisodes on AMC's Youtube channel featured one storyline where this warehouse employee killed his coworkers the day shit went down and kept the pretty one as a sex slave.
Just recently watched that webisode. That and third one were better than most of the actual TWD episodes during its slump period.
>>
>>68013914
>>68018003
Could someone more skilled and autistic than I morph these into one pic?
>>
File: new.png (322 KB, 999x426) Image search: [Google]
new.png
322 KB, 999x426
>>68018056
>>
>>68018069
(User Received Reddit Gold For The Post)
>>
>>68018027
There's quite a few sociopaths in life than people care to admit. Some hide it better than others.

Blake probably entertained notions of it, but he never acted on it because he had too much to lose. He had a job and a family, no way would he do anything to jeopardize them. They were his anchors of sanity as you said. Once they were dead, what would hold him back?

I do wish we had a flashback to what Blake was before the apocalypse and what happened to him over those months to become the Governor.

>Just recently watched that webisode. That and third one were better than most of the actual TWD episodes during its slump period.
Why can't Fear the Walking Dead be like this? I want to see an anthology of various people and their own stories.
>>
>>68012936
Cartel walking dead sounds really cool
>>
>>68018163
FTWD would definitely function better as an anthology series. If not every episode being self-contained then at least every season.
>>
>>68018069
Thanks, based anon.

When Negan was saying eeny, meeny..., did anyone else hope he would say the OG version?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeny,_meeny,_miny,_moe#Earlier_version
>>
>>68018201
You know where I got this idea from? The Last Ship, a post-apocalyptic series on TNT that never gets mentioned. Basically a virus killed 90% of the world and a US Navy ship has a doctor that created the cure. In Season 1 they had to tangle with a Russian sub as well as a drug cartel in South America because they needed a monkey to culture a vaccine.

>>68018232
Exactly. I really don't give a fuck about those LA people from Season 1. In fact, Fear the Walking Dead didn't even show us the breakdown of society and shit going down.
>>
>>68018448
>In fact, Fear the Walking Dead didn't even show us the breakdown of society and shit going down.
One word and it begins with 'b' and rhymes with 'fudge it'.
>>
>>68018485
I know, but Season 1 was tepid. There was hardly any tension or any compelling themes. I give a shit more about those random people that Rick encountered like the backpack guy or the hermit in the shack. Or that Irish lady who kept her husband's head than anyone in FTWD.
>>
>>68018485

The jews of AMC have how much fucking money? Fuck them and fuck their shitty spinoff
>>
>>68012936
>Can you imagine Mexican drug cartels carving out kingdoms
Z Nation did it
>>
>>68016674
>Rick shows up at Alexandria
>by then "Brian Harriot" has worked his way into a high ranking position in Alexandria
>leading and organizing supply runs, setting up secondary outposts, shit like the bullet factory
>Rick finds "Brian" waiting for him, standing just behind Deanna

Almost as good of a "What if?" as "What if Lorie had died in that car crash?"
>>
>>68015792
Right,if we use the zombie word,we are using white privilege to appropriate black culture.
>>
>>68012810

He's not even tyrannical though as he actually gives a shit about the people he "ruled" over. He's rational about a lot of things. When he saw that Rick and co didn't have much food he told them to keep it all instead of even taking a bit because if they starved how would they help him in the future? Rational.

He also likes Carl and straight up didn't consider giving him the bat. He is also pretty friendly with Carl, and really everyone in general. He likes Rick too.

Why are villains always more interesting than anyone else? Damn.
>>
>>68021573
Well that's the comics. We don't know if TV Negan is gonna be like that.
>>
>>68021573
>those exchanges with Carl
>hfw he sees Carls injured eye
Too funny
>>
>>68021897

I hope so, honestly. They have fucked up every other character though so probably not. He's just going to be a big mean guy to Rick who is always the hero and has to do everything the right way.

P.S. carol was always a shitty character and the stuff she did could have been given to carl who never does anything but talk and look and Ethel or whatever. He should have killed the kid. The propane firework scene was fucking stupid, and her "operator" abilities are pathetic. They should have just had her hang herself instead of morphing her into everything like a fucking Power ranger or something. They ruined Andrea too
>>
File: image.png (611 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
611 KB, 1280x720
Hitler did say he would come back...
>>
>>68022086
>should have given all of Carols shit to Coral

Honestly would have made him the best character on the show.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.