[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR Theater
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 530x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 530x311
Would you watch a movie in a theater in a virtual reality ?
>>
>>68008668

What makes you think you're not in one right now.
>>
>>68008668
if it can simulate a cinema screen better than the typical home project, then absolutely yes. This is actually one of the reasons I am really interested in VRs.
>>
I would be right now if HTC werent incompetent with their shipping.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 706x471) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 706x471
>let's put virtual reality function on our cellphone it will secure the VR market for us before it really takes off
>wait, we don't have enough VR contents to see it with
>just create a VR movie theater and all the videos become our contents
>>
>>68008668
I watched a bunch of stuff on my DK2, even with the lower resolution it was still very immersive and effective. There's something comfy about watching a tv show on a 40 ft screen too. With the increase in resolution I can't see why I won't again in the future, it beats watching a movie on the tv if you're alone.
>>
File: ss.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>68008668
well I would probably prefer a different virtual "environment"
>>
>>68008925
The reason the cinema is effective is because the perspective tricks work thanks to objects in the environment, such as the chairs, being used for scale. In the VR cinema apps you can watch the video in a black void if you choose but then the sense of scale is diminished. Viewing the movies in a virtual desktop environment wouldn't provide much benefit over watching them on a standard desktop.
>>
>>68008870
If you don't have all the virtual seating and crap around you, does it still feel like a 40ft screen?
>>
>>68009037
I suppose you are right, I still have to try a VR yet.
Anyway it would be better than watching a film on my 15" laptop TN screen in any case.
>>
File: 1457756474661.png (139 KB, 277x251) Image search: [Google]
1457756474661.png
139 KB, 277x251
>no singles policy
>no penis inpection
>no crab legs
>no birds
What's the point? Just go the a real cinéma, nerds.
>>
>>68009051
So long as there's something for perspective yes. Even the black void still feels large because you have to turn your head to focus on the edges of the screen but occasionally my brain thinks 'well actually it's just a 3ft screen really close to my face'. The way they have got around this is that you have a little virtual menu to the side of you (for pausing, changing vids, looking at your webcam to check what's going on around you etc), and because this is a 3D object that provides some semblance of scale. this means that although there's nothing around the screen if you glance to the side the illusion is restored.

There's a whole host of virtual environments, some good, some bad. My favourite is a little boat floating in the ocean with the massive screen suspended above the water. Not distracting and the reflection of the screen gives scale and is comfy as fuck.
>>
I look forward to the day when movies are tailored for VR experience from storyboard stage
>>
>>68009278
>implying the no singles policy is a good thing
How do you think the dedicated cinema shooter is going to enter the cinema?
I agree with the rest though. I haven't gone to a doctor in years because I can just get my penis inspection at the cinema. It's definitely worth the extra 5 bucks per ticket. I also enjoy the cinema showers, they're much better than the tiny shower in my studio apartment. I don't even have a bath tub.
>>
Does the VR device project your hands and snacks so you can feed yourself?
>>
Only if I can bring my anvil
>>
>>68010990
If you own a leap motion or kinect that's possible but I don't think it'd supported in the current cinema apps by default.
>>
>>68008668
Why would I want to see chairs and shit? That's a con with going to the movies, not a pro. Can't you have the film take up your whole view?
>>
>>68010990
You can use the vive camera as a tiny window to see your snacks.
>>
>>68010192
I look forward to the day we can have infinite photorealistic AI generated virtual experiences.
>>
Of fucking course. It's one of the reasons I'm excited for VR. You could simulate watching an IMAX screen in your own home. Of course it won't be as good but it'll be better than watching it on a TV.
>>
>>68011075
But the movies are not filmed to be viewed like that.
>>
>>68008668
reddit meme technology
>>
maybe. not at home though unless I could post on /tv/ while watching.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.