[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite scene in The Anvil Hoarder (1930)? >that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 25
What is your favorite scene in The Anvil Hoarder (1930)?

>that scene when Bauer stands on top of his stack of anvils and starts monologuing Schopenhauer's Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung while the 2nd movement of the 7th symphony plays in the background, eventually culminating in his suicide during the first fortissimo

Genuinely the best kino I've seen.
>>
>"WHEN WILL I BE RID OF THIS ANVIL"
>>
can i copy this meme for future memeage? XD
>>
>>67969219
What fucking meme? Get your faggotry out of here and go watch some erudite cinema like Anvil Hoarder, you goddamn pleb.
>>
>>67969194
This is BY FAR the best scene
>>
>Bauer stands inertly in the church, holding onto his last anvil
>the priest melancholically walks in, staring at the miserable man in the altar
>"What is your existential purpose, my son? What moves the full extent of your dasein?"
>"I..."
>...
>"I anvil."
>>
>>67969340
>when the meme too supreme XD
>>
>>67969612
>"I anvil."
>"y-you too"
>>
>>67969801
I didn't quite understand this scene - what was the priest trying to convey?
>>
>>67968032
>dat symbolism
>LaDupont representing the metaphorical hammer to Bauers anvil
Take note snyder
>>
>>67969964
The Priest represents the audience, he was conveying our awe and desire to understand. That was really simple enough, it's why he never had any real agency with anything he did, just like how the audience is just passively receiving the events on the screen without being able to affect them.

But what was the point of the scene where the baker masturbates the dog? Honestly I think it was just there for shock value.
>>
File: transferir_2.jpg (8 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
transferir_2.jpg
8 KB, 192x256
>>67970031
>>But what was the point of the scene where the baker masturbates the dog? Honestly I think it was just there for shock value.
>implying Louis Passorello DeMarcos just inserted elements in his kino for shock value
>missing the obvious Freudian subcontext in that scene
>ignoring the parallels to Socrate's death in Phaedo
>>
>>67970461
>Socrate's death
Okay so I know he was blamed for corrupting the youth, are you saying the baker taught children to red rocket their dogs? Is that why the scene had all that baby laughter in it? I thought it was just there to show he was experiencing naive, non-sexual pleasure at the act.
Wait. It's both, isn't it?
>>
File: Solon.jpg (120 KB, 685x900) Image search: [Google]
Solon.jpg
120 KB, 685x900
Now let me get this straight.
Bauer's anvil represents the lower rungs of the hierarchy of necessities. Food, drink, oxygen, warmth, stuff like that. What you need to sustain your existence. This is why he cannot let go of it. But it also the hardships in acquiring them, work and toiling, and this is why it is an anvil in the first place, something heavy and unwieldy. In other words, life in it's basest form.
The crab legs represent luxury and frivolity, the finer things in life that are not strictly necessary, but that people want, even if the process of acquiring them is more trouble than the eventual reward is worth. So greed, lust, pride, envy, gluttony, sloth, the whole shebang.
And LaDupont's "hammer" is friendship, camaraderie, love, nobility, sacrifice, all of virtue, really. The hammer and anvil belong together, this is how life ought to be. The fact that they use the hammer and anvil to obtain the crab's meat represents the act of squandering potential and forsaking that of true worth for superficial pleasures.
>>
>>67969970
I love the irony of your post
>>
File: Buddha.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
Buddha.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
>>67971091
If this is true, then the movie is actually a Buddhist allegory as well.
Bauer becomes free of the anvil by letting go of life itself, thereby giving up all earthly things, pain and pleasure both.
Of course that's only a meta interpretation, within the framework of his own life I'm sure he didn't actually reach any enlightenment on this matter.
>>
>>67970601
That's more or less my interpretation of it, actually. I do, however, think that the baby laughter was supposed to represent the baker's reminiscence of his long forgotten childhood in France, before being shell-shocked by the execution of his family during World War 1.

In the end, that's what his character was about, the futility and death of infancy in a melancholic existence without intrinsic value. That's why he molested the dog, a young and naive animal without hardly as much of a complex cognitive awareness of the struggle it is being in the world, and deliberately supported the ascension of fascism in Italy. It was, above all, the result of his own inability to cope with the abrupt termination of his childhood.

>>67971091
Spot on, although I think LaDupont was more or less an intermediary for Bauer's relationship with Elizabeth. No doubt he was a strong friend, but his arch was also the one that set in motion the entire tragedy that eventually provoked the death of every character. Indeed, presenting the hammer as both a practical instrument and a lethal weapon seems to have been a commentary on the contradictory qualia of the virtues, perhaps even pointing out that they're intrinsically fallacious in the first place.
>>
My favourite scene is the one near the end. Just the old anvil sitting there quietly in the center of the room. Nothing happened. Just anvil. Even though the shot lasts for almost 30 minutes ( masterful long take ), it only felt like a second. But in that instant we've been reminded of our purpose in life. It taught us about the meaning of our existence. Show, dont tell. It has changed my life ever since.
>>
>>67971712
Lord, I was genuinely in tears about 10 minutes into that sequence, it truly was a metaphysical moment for me.
>>
File: Hephaestus.jpg (74 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
Hephaestus.jpg
74 KB, 736x736
>>67971589
>perhaps even pointing out that they're intrinsically fallacious in the first place
Not necessarily. I think the issue was not so much with the role of the "tools" themselves, but their practical application.
Even OP's image shows the pile of discarded horseshoes that always appeared in the first and last scene of every day, and some have claimed that if you count them out in each appearance, the number changes.
This represents us with two alternative timelines, but with quite opposite effects on the content of the film. If we assume that the number of horseshoes increases as time passes and place the scenes in chronological order based on this assumption, we see a fairly straightforward deterioration of Bauer's relationships with other people and the increasing messiness of his apartment, the cockroaches appearing etc.
But if we place them in the opposite order, assume that there's LESS horseshoes as time passes, the movie changes completely, and the death-scenes become less literal, the whole tone of the story becomes increasingly upbeat and the theme becomes about rebirth after hitting rock-bottom, and this way we actually see Bauer's relationships improve somewhat, with the "first meeting with Elizabeth" becoming more a rekindling of lost love, her shy smile representing her happiness at the positive changes in Bauer, and the "murder would be nothing more than a fantasy of a depressed and desperate man who realizes he's lost control of his life.
Maybe that's just wishful thinking though, and since there is no scene with NO horseshoes in the pile, there's still the chance that he'd relapse.
>>
>>67968032
>finally, i have become the Anvil Hoarder
really?
>>
>>67971950
Ooops, looks like I kind of lost my thought there.
What I'm saying here is that the horseshoes represented practical problems in Bauer's life, and the use of "anvil and hammer" to mend them would represent the proper attitude towards life, to pursue self-improvement rather than the shallow joy of the crab legs. The chronology where the number of discarded horseshoes increases is the timeline where vanity and hedonism overrule nobility and modesty, and the one where they decrease in number represents the humble acceptance of reality and the slow and unsteady toiling to mend that which has been ruined by one's own vices.
It's two completely different films and it's up to you to decide which is the real one.
>>
I prefer Le Thésauriseur D'Enclumes
>>
>It's kino because it's old and quirky
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: kek.jpg (84 KB, 799x696) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
84 KB, 799x696
>this is literally the most serious discussion on /tv/ ever
>look up film
>It doesn't fuck exist

Never change /tv/
>>
>>67972326
The original title is in German.
>>
File: Tramp.jpg (42 KB, 352x505) Image search: [Google]
Tramp.jpg
42 KB, 352x505
>>67972277
When De Vries tries to get back into Larssen's good graces by finding the brass button that fell of his coat, he's assaulted by a tramp who beats him over the head with a crutch and then pawns it.
You are literally that tramp.
>>
Where can we submit a screenplay of this?
>>
File: ed-wood.jpg (17 KB, 375x280) Image search: [Google]
ed-wood.jpg
17 KB, 375x280
>>67972570
We don't. We make it ourselves. If /a/ was able to turn a bunch of memes into a visual novel that still has its own general on /vg/, then /tv/ should be able to produce a black-and-white film.
>>
>>67972570
my grandfather owned a screenplay of this masterpiece and he used to read that to me as a bedtime story, when i saw the film for the first time on the Anvilcon 2002 it changed my life
>>
>>67972711
>reading this to a child before bed
Holy shit, your grandfather was the coolest old codger ever.
>>
>>67968032
One of my favorite scenes features exemplary thespian acting by Chrisé Van Çee. You probably know what I'm talking about, afterall its one of the most well known. The one scene where his character walks down the street and sees prostitute? He hears some derogatory remark at her expense, made by local butcher. He starts laughing and then crying, as he puts his hand over his heart. Memories of him and her together flooding his mind... That was theatre-level performance right there.
>>
>>67971950
>>67972171
Your chronological description of the events in the film sounds accurate, however, I find it hard to interpret is as something positive. Sure, the Buddhist symbology is blatantly obvious, there certainly is a genuine attempt from his character to live an existence devoided of material goods as an attempt to find a deeper reality, but I think DeMarco was implying that any and all kinds of pseudo metaphysical thinking are pointless as there are ultimately no objective moral values. You can find the constant illusion of moral and intellectual progress as his relationship with Elizabeth progresses and the anvils are stacked in his room, but it's really just that, a mere illusion. In the end, it all led to nothing but his own destruction as a lonely lunatic on top of a pile of anvils.

That makes me wonder, are the anvils even real in the first place? Only Bauer and the priest seem to be aware of them, the later perhaps implying the power of faith amongst the existential misery the characters find themselves in. Bauer himself doesn't seem to have any interest in metallurgy in the first place, and while LaDupont did give him the hammer, he never seemed to understand exactly why his friend would use it. Goddamnit, there's just so much intellectually going on in this film...
>>
>>67973124
>That makes me wonder, are the anvils even real in the first place? Only Bauer and the priest seem to be aware of them, the later perhaps implying the power of faith amongst the existential misery the characters find themselves in. Bauer himself doesn't seem to have any interest in metallurgy in the first place, and while LaDupont did give him the hammer, he never seemed to understand exactly why his friend would use it.
Ohmygod, and then there's that one POV when Elizabeth enters his bedroom and the anvil is missing from his bed, although you can clearly see it in the next shot. I always wondered about the point of that, but now it seems obvious!
>>
Cool trivia : Every actors in this film used the anvils they made by themselves. According to the director, it helps them to form a strong bond with their anvils, thus resulting in a very personal, honest, truthful performances the world has ever seen in a film.

Seeing all those CGI anvils in movies nowadays makes me sick to my stomach.
>>
>>67972979
I agree. It was positively poignant how intimate it made the theme of crab legs vs hammer - sin vs virtue - love vs lust, and how in fact those things are only separate in the fictional and the divine, and to be human is to be both as sinful as the Satan himself and as virtuous and the holiest of saints in the same breath.

To bear those two conflicts within us is the great flaw of humanity, the unbearable pain the comes with the storm of heaven and hell within us everyday.
To bear that pain and still see beauty in life, still believe and remain hopeful - that is what we must strive for, not to both literally and metaphorically iron out our faults but to accept them and live with them still - that is the film's "message", and I am reluctant to call it that because it in fact does not tell you anything, it IS the struggle of humanity and it is what YOU the viewer experiences while watching it - we don't need to make our utopia real, we simply need to believe in it.

Belief - that is the film's central theme, and depending on your interpretation the film can be a telling of a man's regaining of belief or a man's loss of hope (which in a very post modern way is presented as not entirely a bad thing). Very christian or Buddhist film depending on your interpretation, explains the symbolism.
>>
File: Prayer.jpg (382 KB, 650x821) Image search: [Google]
Prayer.jpg
382 KB, 650x821
>>67973124
>>67973279
But the blind beggar does brush one of the anvils for a moment and then prays to God immediately afterwards.
>>
>>67973375
The production costs must've been outrageous considering the time period.
>>
>>67973375
>CGI anvils
Holy fuck anon, don't even get me started on the 2013 remake.
>>
Which was the best one?

>The Anvil Man (Silent, 1917)
>The Anvil Hoarder (Sound, 1928)
>The Anvil Hoarder (Remake, 1930)
>The Anvil (Sequel, 1964)
>Anvils (1965)
>Anvil Origins (1984)
>Anvil (Remake, 2013)
>>
>>67973560
That in fact further emphasizes the point, as a blind man he is blind to the illusion of \ belief in life's burdens and as a beggar he is purified of materialistic culture \ burdened by materialistic desire - the blind beggar has been seen as a divine figure since times immemorial, and as a divine figure he casts away life's burdens and turns to the almighty God - that which is above hunger, material, life and death.
And yet he does not cast away all anvils, only one and then prays to God immediately, almost desperately, because after all a divine figure needs believers to make it divine.

DeMarcos does not make a statement in this film but instead aims to make you, the viewer, ask yourself and aids you with answering the question:
Do I believe? In that blind beggar do I see a divine figure or a broken filthy man? In Bauer do I see a man ascending to purity or descending on a downward spiral of madness and death?
>>
>>67973812
Say what you will, the talk Elizabeth and LaDupont had about Bauer smelling like rust while he was hiding in the cupboard was pretty intense. The way she delivered that line
>I can smell him even NOW
sent chills down my spine. If they'd caught him then and there he'd not have been able to stash the two anvils under the floorboards and Mrs. Van Gilder wouldn't have been crushed when they fell through her roof.
>>
What a stupid fucking meme. Kys pronto
>>
>>67973989
The fact that whichever order you watch the scenes in, that one is always in the middle should say something about DeMarco's attention to detail.
>>
>>67974060
>not wanting to live in a world where there's something good and pure
>>
It sucks that the major release in the states was canceled. Probably the censors wouldn't dare allow the "sacrifice upon the anvil" scene to be shown to audiences. Such a scene wouldn't be seen until "Irréversible" imitated it, albeit toned down.
>>
>>67969775
YOU LET OUT LE SCREAM !!!!!!
DANK MEME PUT IT IN LE BANK MEME !!!!
>>
File: Critic.jpg (99 KB, 560x683) Image search: [Google]
Critic.jpg
99 KB, 560x683
>>67973966
That's hardly a legitimate question, is it?
>>
Archiving all the posts in this thread, this is some seriously good stuff.

It's a disgrace how obscure this film is. It doesn't even have a wikipedia article nor an IMDb page, either way I'm making a list of the cast and director, I will appreciate aid with the minuscule details like the production and cast other than the director and main characters, unfortunately those were cut out in the American release and are only available in the golden anniversary release which wasn't digitally ripped.

The Anvil Hoarder (1930), France
Directed by: Louis Passorello DeMarcos
??? - Bauer
??? - LaDupont
??? - The Priest
??? - Elizabeth
etc.
>>
>>67974351
The main characters also included De Vries the lens maker, who's entire character arc revolved around trying to impress a potential customer called Larssen.
Larssen was a foreign military man always dressed in uniform, and De Vries assumed he was a wealthy officer on leave, and hoped to make a profit by selling binoculars to his outfit or some such. What De Vries didn't realize was that the uniform had belonged to Larssen's grandfather and that he was in fact unemployed and penniless, thus resulting in all of De Vries' efforts amounting to nothing more than making a complete idiot of himself.
LaDupont tells this story in a segments to Elizabeth, a little bit every time they meet.
>>
File: MyFirstCar.jpg (26 KB, 473x368) Image search: [Google]
MyFirstCar.jpg
26 KB, 473x368
>See The Anvil Hoarder as a child.
>Ooops Hammer Time starts playing
>Turns out Hammer and The Anvil are the same person.
>Realize I saw the edgy reboot.
When will I be free of all these flappers?
>>
>>67974351
LaDupont is played by Chrisè Van Çee, I believe
>>
File: LaDupont reboot.jpg (267 KB, 800x924) Image search: [Google]
LaDupont reboot.jpg
267 KB, 800x924
>>67974736
When you stop thinking LaDupont was a schizo college drop-out.
>>
File: LaDupont original.jpg (427 KB, 1297x1839) Image search: [Google]
LaDupont original.jpg
427 KB, 1297x1839
>>67974736
>>67974791
See the difference?
>>
>>67974560
The layers to this film are absolutely insane, they just keep stacking onto one another and they never seem to stop.
>>
>>67974995
>runtime: 6h 46min
When quality meets quantity.
>>
>>67974560
Right, almost forgot that. One of the heights of DeMarco's storytellong capabilities, I might add.
>>
>>67975197
1. layer is the story the movie is telling with LaDupont and Elizabeth meeting
2. layer is LaDupont telling about De Vries and Larssen
3. layer is Larssen telling war-stories while drunk
4. layer is the flashback to his childhood he has in the trench
5. layer is the song his grandfather sings to him and the story that tells
And that's just a sub-plot.
>>
>>67975056

Wait until you see the director's cut.
>>
>>67975308
That's what was revolutionary about the film back in the day, it wasn't afraid to mess with the order of events to deliver the full potency of its narrative.
>>
Gentlemen, was financial disaster this masterpiece endured fair? I believe that it was inevitable, given morbid cinematic vision of DeMarcos, yet I still feel sad. Reviews ruined this picture
>>
>>67975473
Not just reviews. They actually had to make a new frame for the mirror for every scene because they didn't have computers to digitally replace the words engraved on it.
Not to mention >>67973375
>>
>>67975308

this thread is gold.
>>
>>67975385
It's insanely expensive though.
No wonder considering it took another 12 years to further edit the shot film in a way that includes another 10 hours(!) and not only does not detract from the original cut like many directors do but in fact amplifies the film in such an insane manner.

I truly believe DeMarcos to be the greatest genius to grace cinema, nay, the Earth itself.
I mean, Christ, the man shot more than ten thousand hours of film during the course of his 20s, spent his 30s editing it to the theatrical cut of The Anvil Hoarder (1930) and then spent his 40s making The Anvil Hoarder Director's Cut (1942), always flawless. Unreal.
>>
File: 1443983327281.jpg (185 KB, 694x956) Image search: [Google]
1443983327281.jpg
185 KB, 694x956
So is everyone just going to ignore Bauer's erotic dream after Elizabeth slaps him? They actually went to the Mediterranean to film a three-minute segment with an actual trimere and everything.
>>
>>67975886
Bauer's slavery arc in the Director's Cut was a grave mistake, DeMarcos said so himself on his deathbed.
>>
>>67975979
I've never seen the Director's Cut, there's actually more to it?
>>
Someone should remake the Anvil Hoarder starring Daniel Day Lewis as Bauer, tbqh
>>
>>67975994
A lot more, there's even a 20 minutes long dialogue between Bauer and LaDupont about the imminence of political chaos in early 30s Germany that didn't make it past post as DeMarcos felt it would end up being outdated. Really, some of the best dialogue comes from that single scene.
>>
>>67976242
DDL's been preparing for the role since he was a child
>>
You guys are honestly sick in the head.
>>
>>67976326
And the loss suffered during WW1 was the anvil to Germany, the Nazi party were the hammer, and their ideology was the crab legs.
>>67976426
True art is a regular Via Dolorosa, anon.
>>
I can't stop thinking about The Anvil Hoarder guys, I've watched it more times than I can count and the DIrector's Cut even more, I live it and I breath it, I see it in reality and life every single day in every single thing, every time I watch it I find something new, sometimes I feel like it will never end and that it encompasses all that ever was and will be. It is both a blessing to have the meaning of life distilled in an almost century old film and it is also a curse because it is all I can of think of and I can do nothing else these days.

Somebody help.
>>
>>67976489
You perceive the catharsis of the movie as the sweet meat of the crab. We, your peers and intellectual equals, are the hammer with which you break the legs.
You're headed to a bad place if you don't work thing out.
>>
>>67976489
it is truly a classic
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 701x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 701x394
So, Jay, would you recommend The Anvil Hoarder?
>>
Thinking of buying the Criterion Collection version the film. Can anyone give me a synopsis so I at least know what I'm getting into before watching?
>>
>>67976659
The New Testament is the best synopsis for The Anvil Hoarder, though from a contextual standpoint it is merely the tip of the iceberg.
>>
File: ANVILS.png (68 KB, 717x372) Image search: [Google]
ANVILS.png
68 KB, 717x372
>>67976659
Johann Wolfgang Bauer is The Anvil Hoarder, an unemployed German man who cannot rid himself of the burden of anvils. This causes a rift with his fiancee Elizabeth, which is initially patched up by Samuel LaDupont, his best friend.
>>
Just marathoned this film last night. Haven't really grasped the multiple layers of meanings and interpretations, but his film speaks more with a deep, pure cinematic narrative than with the dialogues and monologues. I dont know, but when the film ended, I was just there, trying to absorb the celestial experience this film had presented to me and almost subconsiously I said to myself, "Aren't we all anvils?"
>>
>>67976779
Your post number is strangely smooth, if i may say so
>>
>>67976779
Watch it again and you'll be two anvils, watch it once more and you'll be three anvils, watch it to full understanding and you are the anvil hoarder.
>>
I've not seen this film in ages but probably the quick scene where the Priest asks Bauer why he hasn't been to confession recently. That look Bauer gives to him and the chiaroscuro lighting is probably the most masterful frame composition I've ever seen from an early pre-modern film. The whole sequence is like a complete Proppian inversion of the archetypes up to that point and the way it ties into the whole metanarrative of metallurgy as a form of redemption is pretty fucking well done. I really think this film has a lot of heavy Gnostic elements too, specifically about how the material nature of the world is undone without an Archonic maintainer hammering out the details of the Demiurge's creation, just a few thinks to think about.
>>
sooo deeeeeppppp
>>
File: despair.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
despair.png
74 KB, 412x351
post yfw
>"Can't you see, Bauer? You are the anvil hoarder."
>>
>We did it, Bauer. We finally became The Anvil Hoarder (1930)

Fucking seriously DeMarcos?
>>
File: 1378424805981.gif (1 MB, 801x801) Image search: [Google]
1378424805981.gif
1 MB, 801x801
>>67977138
That line was one of the most ecstatic moments in my life, it all made sense from that point on.
>>
>>67974351
I heard that the Criterion Collection will be launching it on Blu Ray, hope it's true.
>>
>>67973966

>all Anvil movies>>>>dogshit>>>>2013 remake

Honestly they really fucked the remake up
>>
File: med_1422379571_image.jpg (66 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
med_1422379571_image.jpg
66 KB, 640x360
>>67976637
Well, some parts felt a little pretentious and I wish they had left out the part where the baker masturbates the dog, but in general it was a great experience. So yes, I'd totally recommend checking it out this summer.
>>
OFFICIAL TOP TEN ANVIL KINO

10-Not Without My Anvil
9-Archie and the Anvil
8-The Fall of the Hammer
7-Strike Hard, The Anvil
6-For Want of a Hammer: The Ambrose Gurney Story
5-The Heat of the Forge
4-The Anvil and the Falconer
3-The Anvil Horder (1983)
2-How Heavily Weighs the Anvil
1-The Anvil Horder (1930)
>>
>be OP
>make a thread about The Anvil Hoarder (1930)
>tfw assumed it would most likely be ignored given how much /tv/ is full of flick-loving plebs
>some replies, glad to know there are a few cultured anons in here
>go out for a while, return home and check on this thread
>about 90 posts of people discussing the purest, most beautiful kino ever made
t-thank you /tv/. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels so strongly attached to the work of DeMarcos.
>>
>>67978381

Please bro, I named my wife's son Bauer because of this kino
>>
>>67978381
/tv/ has it's moments, and it's only right that a group of autistic outcasts would worship the masterpiece that is The Anvil Hoarder. I feel ambivalence towards the fact that it's not more well known because it would certainly reach more mindful people and generate fruitful discussion but it would also become bastardized in a way (as if the 2013 remake wasn't enough of an insult). Bauer is probably one of the most layered and charismatic characters in the history of cinema and DeMarcos surely stands strong at the panteon of philosophical cinematography.
>>
I honestly want people to start discovering the original posters for this film (in photoshop).
>>
>>67968032
Someone plz link to the archive the original thread. That was the best thing I've ever been apart of
>>
File: hammer and anvil.jpg (100 KB, 1024x615) Image search: [Google]
hammer and anvil.jpg
100 KB, 1024x615
>>67977018
>metallurgy as a form of redemption
Holy fuck, I totally missed that during my first time watching the film. Really, it always left me baffled seeing Bauer getting all those anvils when he's just an unemployed accountant, only now do I realize that, while he doesn't have any sort of profession related to metallurgy, the manipulation and shaping of metal implied by the anvils is a metaphor for his own intellectual and spiritual remodeling.

Bauer's journey is, above all, one defined by the attempt at rejuvenating his being through faith and belief, and despite all the varying interpretations on whether DeMarcos is supporting this as a genuine path to enlightenment or simply exposing the nihilistic absurdity and existential misery of magical thinking (I stand by the latter, but there are epistemically justifiable reasons for most viewers and scholars to defend the former), I don't think none of us can disagree with the fact that his storytelling was far ahead of its time. Indeed, it does bother me a little that Fritz Lang and Serguei Einstein scarcely mention and directly reference his work when the influence it had on them is blatantly obvious.

>>67978793
This, it really is both a pity and a blessing that The Anvil Hoarder is left under obscurity. Just imagine the cancerous fanbase that it would eventually generate.
>>
>>67979036
Same here, I'd love to do some digital remastering of the original German poster but sadly I have just about no experience in Photoshop. We can only hope someone with better knowledge is up to the task.
>>
I finally understand The Anvil Hoarder (1930).
I finally understand.

I will end my life this night, not to die but to finally be alive.

Farewell.
>>
File: 508092032.jpg (38 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
508092032.jpg
38 KB, 645x773
>>67979672
>>I will end my life this night, not to die but to finally be alive.
>>Farewell.
>ending your life while uttering Brauer's last poetic words
God speed, anon. You're a hero to all of us.
>>
>>67968032
I'd have to say my favourite part was the allegory of the inverted tong.
>>
>>67979672
We all carry our own anvils. Here's a man who learned how to rid himself of his.
Farewell, anon.
>>
File: Anvil Hoarder.png (686 KB, 769x1088) Image search: [Google]
Anvil Hoarder.png
686 KB, 769x1088
>>67968032
FUN FACT: The Anvil Hoarder (1930) was the first movie ever to feature an anvil crushing someone. All instances of anvil injuries in cinema since were just paying tribute to this incredible film.
>>
>>67980166
Isn't that like common knowledge by now?
>>
>>67980166
As far as I love the original poster, there's no way to deny that the CC re-release one looked amazing :')
>>
How the fuck can I watch this movie without leaving the house?
>>
>>67980166
Perfect, saved.
>>
>>67980815

There are screenings in Antwerp every 18 months. Hard to get tickets though I've heard.
>>
>>67980815
>your local indie / classics cinema doesn't occasionally play Anvil Hoarder
Where the hell do you live in, m8?
>>
>>67968032
>in an alternative world /tv/ Baurposts

Dont let memes taint this film.
>>
>>67978154
>For Want of a Hammer: The Ambrose Gurney Story

That was the most ham-fisted braindead piece of media I have ever witnessed. In a world that is not devoid of anvil-related cinema I honestly can not imagine why it is even on your list, let alone at number 6.

Other than that, pretty solid list
>>
>>67981416
>TELL ME ABOUT BAUER! WHY DOES HE WEAR THE ANVIL?
>A LOT OF LOYALTY FOR A HIRED HAMMER!
>>
>>67981059
>>67981148
And online?
>>
What stopped him from having sexual intercourse with the anvil? he just brushed his dick against it before getting flustered and going into the closet and hiding. The whole movie was leading up to it but he does not do it. What was the deep subtext i missed?
>>
>>67982545
There's more purity to the anvil, anon. It's not merely an object for sexual hedonism, the emotional involvement Bauer felt for it was closer to that of a family member than anything else. He certainly didn't want to fuck the anvil, it transcended primordial biological desires.
>>
>>67982545

you're reading that scene completely fucking wrong. he wasn't going to fuck it, he was going to hammer his dick off and castrate himself as a final sublimation of the nihilism he feels inside. only the cold raw steel of the anvil against his dick caused him to change his mind and remember LaDupont's words to him at the start.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1457617204367.jpg (28 KB, 639x358) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1457617204367.jpg
28 KB, 639x358
>you will never see the intended sequel "The Hammer, It Strikes"

Fuck you DeMarcos
>>
>>67983444
I liked the original title more.
"Who hammers the anvil men?"
>>
>>67983510
>>67983444
Personally I think "Beyond Good and Anvil" would be the best choice for a sequel name.
>>
>>67975473
It was anything but a surprise, really. DeMarcos was possibly the most eccentric filmmaker for his time, the project was doomed to have no financial return from the start. It was actually a strong artistic statement, the man basically said to the world "fuck it, I don't mind blowing all my money on this and living on a small apartment in suburbian Lisbon for the rest of my life, just give me the chance to finally make my masterpiece come true".
>>
>>67983613
That is also a very fitting name but my favorite has to be the original, original name scribbled down on a napkin during the filming of The Anvil Hoarder
"The anvil tolls for whom the hammer rings"
>>
Is Anvilposting now actually a thing?
>>
>>67969612
>I anvil
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>67984018
He has become lost in the anvil. His duty towards it has merged with his sense of self and he can't see a difference between his life and his duty towards his obssesion. He can only survive by doing one thing. Anvil.
>>
>I am the Anvil and the Omega.

What did Bauer mean by this?
>>
>>67984018
Essentially "i am the anvil. We are one."
>>
>>67974758
Pretty spotless career afterwards desu.

Shame about going about /pol/ with the Jews and that but his other arty films are pretty damn great.
>>
>>67984437
Yes, he radicalized himself later on in his life, which pretty much compromised any and all chances he had at an American studio. He still had a pretty good career in Europe even as a /pol/lack grade fascist though.
>>
>>67985075
Yeah he was always very mysterious of what the meaning of his works were. But i heard one time when someone asked what the anvil hoarder were truly about he laughed and said. "The anvils are the jews and i want to beat them with hammers" But this can't be taken 100% seriously because he often were sarcastic in his remarks
>>
Why did DeMarcos change the aspect ratio in that scene where Bauer sinks the anvil into the lake and the change it back?
>>
>>67985075
>>67985204
>lets hire this actor
>hes a known racist...probably
>meh

Youd never get away with that today.
>>
So, Chrisè Van Çee plays LaDupont, but who played Bauer? Can cinema buffs help me? I know there is little information on the subject, but...
>>
>Anvil Hoarding
Fucking scum behavior in theaters, to be perfectly honest.
There's only so many rental anvils in the cinema, and I can't afford an anvil AND anvil insurance at the moment.
>>
>>67981059
Not only Antwerp. Some Hungarian family organizes screenings once in a while, but its "invitation only"
>>
>>67979672
Me too. I will join you.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.