[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesnt /tv/ like female leads? Do you think women should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5
File: Female comedians in a nutshell.jpg (24 KB, 399x357) Image search: [Google]
Female comedians in a nutshell.jpg
24 KB, 399x357
Why doesnt /tv/ like female leads?

Do you think women should be banned from lead roles in movies other than rom coms?

What is your perfect world of female casting?
>>
Nothing wrong with female leads.

What is wrong with female leads who go "I am female, I am stronk!"
>>
>>67967600
Sigourney Weaver was great in Alien/s. Who doesn't like that? Linda Hamilton in Terminator is great too.
>>
They can have lead roles in dramas, historical biographical movies, comedies, romcoms, non-action Sci-Fi, or atmospheric Horrors.

But I'm sorry, when i see an "Action Girl" who weighs 50 pounds soaking wet "kicking ass" I just can't stop laughing. Unless she's asian, asians are magic
>>
>>67967600
It's a meme.
Also a reaction to 3rd wave feminism.
>>67967642
If Ripley was a new idea in a movie that came out last weekend, 4chan would hate her. The whole hating female leads isn't logical, it's just redirected impotent rage against retarded feminists.
>>
Because they are usually a female power fantasy
>>
>>67967780
>4chan would hate her
Well I can't speak for anyone else than myself but I see absolutely nothing there to judge.
Let's look at something more recent, that girl from Predators. I had no problem with her kicking ass with the guys.
>>
>>67967600

Only ugly men hate women; women don't talk to them and they resent them for it. This is their way of still feeling superior and coping with nature's urge to want to fuck said women.

I laugh at those men though. I laugh at you, OP.
>>
>>67967600
This must be your first day here, because we've have shitloads of Alien threads
>>
File: male tears.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
male tears.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
>mfw
>>
Angelina Jolie is swell.
>>
>>67967642
those were grown, mature experienced women with a sensible background in dealing with shit and actual muscle definition.

these new action leads are all teen girls with stick arms and an attitude

see:
>hunger games
>divenrgent
>TFA
>any other YA crap
>>
>>67967936
I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned and I never will.
>>
>>67967936
Linda Hamilton especially, she was the damsel in distress in the first movie then BECAME badass in T2, which made sense. these bitches just walk in and they're "hurr durr let's kick some male ass"
>>
>>67967780
>rage against retarded feminists

I'm not disposed to believe that. It lets too many gormless neckbeard slobs off the hook.
>>
>>67967843
>"With the guys"
That's key.
Ripley kicked ass alone. Face it mate, 4Chan would despise Ripley as SJW pandering Mary Sue if she was a recent yet identical character.
>>
>>67967600
I like female leads as long as they aren't "poor oppressed strong woman who don't need no man and kicks butt". It's really fucking tiring, especially when the character gets patted on the back purely for being a girl.

When a movie gets it right, female characters can be really great, warm and endearing.
>>
>>67968056
The neckbeards can also be raging against them, it's not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>67967908
Great in the bone collector, also Ashley Judd in double jeapody.
>>
>>67968103
Okay, how about Jennifer Lopez in Enough? I liked that. It came out in 2000 something. Girl has abusive husband, she learns martial arts and kicks his ass.
>>
>>67968188
Chick in million dollar baby was fantastic too.
>>
>>67968229
Oh yeah, absolutely. Saw that one in the theater twice.
>>
>>67968103
It's not true. With Ripley and Sarah Connor, you see their journey and the experience that hardened them. They were both not as formiddable in the first movie, but become ass-kickers in the second, because the trauma they endured made them tough. in contrast, all we see now is some random 20-something immediately throwing quips and acting all "girl powah". not because the character earned it, but because she's a girl
>>
>>67968188
Sounds like it wasn't a film that gained massive popularity.
This then is the second reason why /tv/ would hate Ripley if she just sprang into existence recently - she'd be new and popular.
The contrarian hipsters here can't be seen to approve of what 'normies' enjoy or it erodes their perception that this place is some secret club subculture.
>>
You know in films that feature native villages the women are in large groups and speak and act as a hivemind? That's the perfect role for women.
>>
>>67968241
>>67968229
>>67968162
I know these are cartoons, but Belle from Beauty and the beast and Rapunzel were done well too.
>>
because a majority of /tv/ posters come from /v/, aka manchild central.
>>
>>67968248
>quips
>she a girl, so is bad
You couldn't be proving my point bettter. I bet you don't even see it.
>>
>>67968333
>rejecting Gaston

Belle was a shit
>>
>>67968396
Yes, it is. In a war-type situation, a female character has to ear her quippage, simply by the fact that she is less physically powerful(which is a biological fact) and will most likely be marginalized by the military males in-universe. So she has to prove she is above the norm.

But let's all pretend it's completely normal to see a skinny 20-year-old female soldier acting badass without having done anything badass, if we don't it's sexist
>>
>>67968502
> In a war-type situation, a female character has to ear her quippage, simply by the fact that she is less physically powerful(which is a biological fact) and will most likely be marginalized by the military males in-universe. So she has to prove she is above the norm.
Isn't this exactly what Aliens did?
>>
>>67968502
And now raging impotently against percieved feminism. Good job anon, you really acted against your stereotype.
>>
>>67968530
Aliens gets a free pass because it's old. We only hate what's new and popular here, it shows we're not sheep.
>>
>>67968573
What the fuck are you talking about? He's completely right. Unless a woman has had some very serious training, they get fucked up in a fight with any random guy very quickly (so long as he doesn't hold back). It's reality
>>
>>67968502

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkxCzBszOQ
>>
>>67967936
This.
>>
Edge of Tomorrow.
>>
the people who throw bitch fits about female leads in movies are also the ones who play as female video game characters because "they don't want to look at a man's ass"
>>
>>67968689

Fucking vasquez was the shit.
>>
>>67968679
See >>67968573
So predictable...
>>
>>67968809
Oh your just baiting...
>>
>>67968679
reality doesn't mean anything anymore anon. everyone is equal at everything. there is only one race, the human race, gender is a social construct, borders are just imaginary lines on a map and cultural clashes don't exist outside the minds of racists, etc.
>>
>>67968850
Maybe, but I've made my point.
There's no legit criticism of female leads on /tv/

Anti Feminist and neophobe hive mind mentality. Only once a thing is old enough is it fairly critiqued.
>>
>movie about space battles and magic samurais

>"It's hard to believe a girl could beat up a guy in clumsy space armour"

The human brain is so strange.
>>
>>67968805

She really was. Muscular as hell, and the biggest attitude and gun in the entire squad.

Cameron is a master of his craft when it comes to writing strong female characters. He can effortlessly work with a character who wasn't written by him as well; Aliens Ripley felt like Ripley, unlike in the other two movies.
>>
>>67967600

Lots of females adore Harry Potter but you can rarely get us to feel the same with a female lead

Looking at my TV roster, it's pretty much only Shameless, Homeland (basically only her relationship with Brody) and Freaks & Geeks that I have. I suppose The Americans count too, I do find the wife a compelling character in a severe kind of way.

It's hard to find female leads to feel a kinship with. I either observe them like animals or enjoy the show for its supporting cast. Kinda expected, kinda sad. I think Susie Salmon from Lovely Bones is the closest I've ever gotten and that's posthumously kek (also a book).
>>
>>67968689
see that'sa female soldier. but she doesn't look like an anorexic super-model so she won't be the female lead in a female action movie
>>
>>67969004
it's not. there has to be internal consistency to fantastical elements. look at comics fro example, ridiculous, ridiculous shit happens in comics. but once it has been established that superman can lift 100 billion tons in univrse, it makes no sense for a character who can only lift 10 tons to knock him out with a punch.

similarly, outside of the superheroes, the rest of the world, the civilians, still behave in accordance with how normal people should behave
>>
>>67967600
Why do /v/eddit tourists insist on conflating /tv/ with /pol/ shitposters?
>>
>>67969370

Why are people with different opinions called reddit/ /v/eddit, ect...
>>
>>67969282
>Woman do good am weirder than Superbman
>>
>>67969412
The hive mind lashing out.
>>
Because this place is filled with posters from reddit-tier boards /pol/ and /v/. Mods are supposed to prevent this, but they're all redditbro faggots with an agenda.
>>
>>67969428
you're missing my point. you're basically saying this:

>this universe has weird shit in it
>therefore, women should magically be a strong as men

nowhere in the universe is it established that these women in this universe are different from real life women or that men are different from real life men.

>show with vampires in it
>it's difficult to believe a woman could beat a man

it's unrelated
>>
>>67969282

It's a girl...

hitting some dudes...

in clumsy ass space armour.

Is that really so mind blowingly unbelievable that it is crazy inconsistent with the entire universe? I could understand if she was beating them up with a 220 pound barbell or lifting over her head and doing some hulk hogan shit but come on man.
>>
>>67969505
>Women are all shit at everything, they must be magic to be competant
Upvoted, your peers on this taiwanese picture site agree.
>>
>>67969507
Women need to get back into the space-kitchen and fix us space-sandwiches. Anything else is SJW pandering, AM I RIGHT GUYS?
>>
>>67967600
/tv/ hates everything.
But there's also the fact that Hollywood is consistently shoehorning female leads in established action movie franchises. And it's obvious they're transforming them in YA shit for the female audience.

WTF should we be OK with that.
>>
>>67969661
For you.>>67969656
>>
>>67969575
you're just being intentionally obtuse to troll me i think. i'm not saying women aren't as smart or as competent as men, i'm talking about the aspect or physical combat, and specifically not even when done by women but these new wave action girls see>>67969170

i hope you're a trol, i'd rather lose a few minutes of my time to a troll than think there's actually someone as stupid as you in the world.
>>
>>67969661

As long as the story is good I dont give a fuck if she is a girl or if it is considered shoe horned.
>>
>>67969698
Your post is dumb and it has nothing to do with anything I said.
You're also to stupid and lazy to make an actual reply.
>>
>>67969719
>My Hug Box is infiltrated by someone who rejects the hive mind consensus that lead females in new things are bad...?
>Must be a troll, phew, my echo chamber is safe...
>>
>>67969829
>i want empowered lead female action characters
>as long as they can look pretty and thin while they're killing people
>remember girls, just because you want to dedicate your life to physical excellence, doesn't mean you should neglect your manicures
>>
>>67969943
>It's not that I hate these SJWtarded Mary Sues ruining my boy time it's uh...uhh...they're an unrealistic image for dumb girls to aspire to, yeah!
So desperate.
>>
>>67967780
The thing is Weaver in alien is a bitch, same as Sarah Conner in T2, bitchy and insane, which sells it. When they're stronk but friendly and girly, it's pathetic.
>>
>>67969829
>>67969943
the problem is men who play action roles are buff guys, which makes sense, AND most people find ripped guys attractive. not everyone maybe, but most. most nobody finds ripped women attractive, so they give the audience Disney Princesses to play badasses
>>
>>67970155
>most nobody finds ripped women attractive
Am I doomed to never have what I like?
>>
>>67970129
>It's old but it gets a pass....uh....you can't be a strong woman that's not a bitch because uh...SJW LIBTARDS
+1 Approval, not a normie
>>
>>67970155

Well then, they don't have to be ripped. Just make them tall/huge. I know there's a good percentage of men out there with giantess fetishes, I know they're out there hiding their feelings
>>
>>67970155
>A woman can't be feminine and competant...because...we say so?
God damn, this place really is just a hug box for the socially backward isn't it?
>>
>>67970129

The fuck, lol. Men whine the most about unfriendly female leads. Quit moving your goalposts
>>
>>67970237
what are you even talking about with this "it's old" shit?

T1-Sarah Connor is a girly waitress who needs to be saved by the future soldier
T2-Sarah Connor is a badass after years of training and lunacy and learning about guns

this is something called NATURAL PROGRESSION, a storytelling technique commonly employed by non-hacks

Alien-Ripley is a normal woman who manages to outSMART, not outFIGHT one single alien
Aliens-Ripley is now experienced and hardened and the only person among the marines who has previous experience dealing with the aliens

this is something called-come on, finish the sentence dipshit
>>
>>67970345
female debating everyone, get presented with dozens of different legitimate points ITT, counter it with

>hugbox
>you're all socially backward
>fat nerds

truly, you are a credit to your gender. i mean that non-ironically
>>
>>67970357
>le women can't fight meme
>le mah old stuff gets free pass meme
>le plot was too fast paced so is bad meme
It's ok, pick up your cheetos and calm your man tits, the world is different now and I know it scares you, shhhhhh, shhhhhhh
>>
/tv/ approved female leads in action roles:

>Sigourney Weaver in Aliens

>Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2

>Lena Headey and Smiles McGee (I forgot her name) in Dredd (2012)

>Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario

>Rosario Dawson in Sin City

>Gina Corrano in anything

>Lucy Lawless as Xena

Who else?
>>
File: Muscular Women.png (567 KB, 1632x261) Image search: [Google]
Muscular Women.png
567 KB, 1632x261
>>67970155

>most nobody finds ripped women attractive

sure thing, anon
>>
>>67970553
Linda Hamilton in T1.
>>
>>67970484
FUCKING BINGO!!!
THE ACCUSATION THAT ONLY A WOMAN WOULD DISAGREE WITH CONSENSUS!!!
YOU WIN...nothing.

You're used to that.
>>
>>67970586
Yeah? I thought she was kind of a whiny bitch for half that movie and then magically becomes a tough girl at the end.
>>
>>67970622
After getting dicked, cause penis is power.
>>
>>67970597
Oh I'm sorry then, I suppose I should have assumed. In that case, go show your female best friend how valiantly you're defending women online, it's make her dump her sexist chad boyfriend and date you!
>>
>>67970570
Would fuck all of them. Would make gentle love to two.
>>
>>67970715
>Huurrr, yeah, well you're just a slave to pussy
Yeah, cause pointing out why you dumb cunts hate female leads is so off topic...
>>
>>67970622
She didn't become tough "magically", really. That was at the very end, after having been chased by the T-800 throughout most of the movie -- and after seeing Kyle get killed.
>>
>>67970870
what are you pointing out? i don't get it? are you pointing out everyone in here is rentful of women because they're virgins or something? because you do know that's not how the real world works, right? you get it's the guys like you that end up as beta orbiters? at least where i live.
>>
>>67970870
someone hit a nerve
>>
>>67970129
>she will never put you in quarantine and tell you to shut up
;_;
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.