[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are people being pretentious when they say that this movie was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: son-of-saul-poster-lg.jpg (222 KB, 860x1242) Image search: [Google]
son-of-saul-poster-lg.jpg
222 KB, 860x1242
Are people being pretentious when they say that this movie was good?
I just watched it, and although I don't think it's bad, it's extremely mediocre.
Everything outside of the visuals is generic. It's just another gimmicky movie.

On another note, I was considering watching Victoria (another movie running on a gimmick), but if it's like this, I think I'd rather not.
Is it any better?
>>
Your first thought is that people are being 'pretentious' in praising a film? Come on.
No, don't watch Victoria or anything more difficult, you're too stupid. Keep believing it's all gimmicks and they're shit.
>>
>>67956365
What's even remotely 'gimmicky' about this?
>>
>>67956365
PLEEEEEBS FUUUUUCKIIIING LEEEEAAAAVE
>>
>>67956365
>Gimmick
Just leave, the movie is amazing.
>>
Yes I often pretend that movies are good so I can feel better than others. Either that our you're just thick.
>>
>>67956365
>Actually using sound, focus and aspect ratio in a clever way
>Gimmicky
If you want to call Mommy gimmicky thats fine, that movie is pretty terrible, but jesus, Son of Saul is a masterpeice
I want capekino to leave.
>>
I did hear Victoria was pretty mediocre outside of the one shot trick/real time, and that gets old fast
>>
>>67957157
that'd be fine and all if it was one scene that wasn't an hour and forty minutes long
>>
>>67956661
OP is probably one of those people who for some reason thought this movie was like a video game
>>
>>67957505
Why?
>>
>>67957505
>i don't know what a scene is
thats what i actually read
>>
>>67956365
Do they show how he became a scumbag lawyer in this movie?
>>
>>67956365

Literally "Free Pass Because Holocaust".

Australia's most respected critic and head of our national film financing board walked out of it because it was so bad.

I didn't think it was anywhere near that awful, but it was gimmicky shit. Like a less accomplished version of Enter The Void or Hardcore Henry, with Muh Holocaust slapped on top for Boy Scout critical points.
>>
>>67956661

It's shot in a gimmicky over the shoulder manner. It's a gimmick you cine-illiterate moron. Stick to capeshit.
>>
File: 1396473950638.gif (3 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1396473950638.gif
3 MB, 499x281
>That scene where you hear dozens of people vomiting all at once.
>>
>>67957157

I don't think it's a coincidence that the same people who love capeshit love Holocaust Simulator '16.

This is the millenial equivalent of saying The Grey Zone was better than Schindler's List or calling El Mariarchi good.

You can stop. No one is impressed by you pretending to enjoy a film.
>>
>>67957732
>implying thats the gimmicky part
Is like you only watched the first 30 minutes, there's a lot of shot/reverse shots also, the gimmicky part is the way the focus is set + aspect ratio, making you feel lost.
Personally, i think its great, but i can understand why u plebs who are used to standard filmmaking dont get it.
>>
>>67957811
>>67957732
>>67957706
>>67956365
>le le le la la la
Go suck a knife, cretins
>>
>>67957811
>projecting your shitty tastes into my opinion without a single argument besides lel ure pretentious
>>
muh anti-antisemitism meme.

The purpose of the film is to place the audience in a railroad experience of the holocaust. The aspect ratio and the camera following Saul are meant to lock you into his trapped perspective.

long story short, the film limits you into a holocaust story in a way that forces you as the audience to imagine what'[s going on around the protagonist.

The result of this further encourages the audience to think more deeply about the holocaust outside of the traditional boxes.

It's 10x better than a film like Schinder's List that is an emotional rollarcoaster in the sense that it forces you to take Speilbergs perspective of the holocaust. Son of Saul forces you to make your own judgments on the holocaust instead.

If you found the film boring, you probably were focusing on pleb elements of film like the story, and you weren't taking the time to observe everything going on in the film, nor were you taking time to think about what you were watching. There is a lot of detail in each scene.
>>
>>67957865

>Personally I think student documentaries shot on DSLR's on Vimeo about hopsters dogs dying are artistic masterpieces but I can understand why plebs like you prefer good filmmaking.

You're too cool for me bro. I submit to elitism. Just don't make me watch My Winnipeg or The Turin Horse again.
>>
>>67957787
Saul, I'm dying.
>>
>People who never read Aumont judging a movie that deals directly with how cinema is made
lmao
Cubism, Dada and almost all modern art movements arent great because they're entertaining.
>>
>>67957918

>accuse someone of shitty taste

>in the same thread you admit to thinking Son Of Saul is a good movie.

You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>67957951
Stop being a bitch
>>
>>67957951
Can't deal with Godardisms but say people who can are fans of capeshit
never change, /tv/, never change.
>>
>>67957937

>We need to encourage audiences to think more deeply about one of the most discussed, studied, docmented and repeatedly filmed and written about subjects in all of human history

Let me guess, you came to the conclusion that shoveling dead bodies is bad?
>>
>>67958026
Fuck off, Holocaust happened 80 years ago and redefined human suffering, good thing people still talk about it.
>>
>>67957937

You seem confused.

Are you saying it's a more subjective experience of the events (the beginning of your post) or objective (the end of your post).

>Leave it up to the audience.

This is a lazy concept. What conclusion are they going to come to?

"Well since you haven't told me how to feel about mass exterminations of human beings I'm actually finding myself really supportive and happy about the holocaust."
>>
>>67957937
>pleb elements of film like the story
I really hope this meme dies
>>
>>67956365
>criticizing it at all
hi Stormfront
>>
>>67958088
>meme
What is italian neo realism, iranian neo realism, french nouvelle vague
>>
>>67958011

>Godard

This triggers the non pretentious connoisseur of kino. Please don't talk about faux cinema on /tv/. That belongs on r/movies and you know it.
>>
>>67958132
>implying
Yeah, we should all go back talking about the new Quentin Tarantino movie or The Force Awakens
>>
>>67957157
>If you want to call Mommy gimmicky thats fine,
But the aspect ratio in Mommy serves a narrative purpose

>that movie is pretty terrible
Nah
>>
>>67958102

This desu.

You aren't allowed to criticize holocaust movies. Even Patch Adams Goes To Auschwitz is immune. That's the whole point of making a holocaust film. Otherwise you have to use an all female cast or be a black female director and that isn't always practical.
>>
>>67958047
yeah and the great leap forward happened nearly 60 years ago and redefined human suffering. good thing people still talk about it.
oh, wait, that's right. no one talks about it.
>>
>>67958185
And how the fuck it does not on Son of Saul?
>>
Why are people so offended by using non-widescreen aspect ratios?
>>
>>67958212
More people died because there's more people in china, it doesnt even compare to Holocaust
theres no meghelle on the great leap forward or the hungarian hunger (not saying they arent also terrible but fuck off)
>>
>>67958181

Yes. Actually we should. Or post Drive memes.

I miss old /tv/.

I thought all you cunts went to mubi. Like locusts.
>>
>>67958244
It's /tv/. Anything different triggers the hordes of autists
>>
>>67958320

This. Everyone knows us Jews won the Pity Olympics.

Don't you dare try being sad around us. We won't stand for it.
>>
>>67958213
Never said it didn't

I took umbrage at ur characterization of Mommy
>>
Embrace of the Serpent was better.
I'm sick of the holocaust-related worship in American awards
>>
>>67958417
I think the Mommy aspect ratio thing is done to cover a extremely corny movie but w/e thats my opinion
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.