[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even though RotJ was the weakest of the Original Trilogy, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15
File: emperor's throne room.jpg (225 KB, 1500x634) Image search: [Google]
emperor's throne room.jpg
225 KB, 1500x634
Even though RotJ was the weakest of the Original Trilogy, the scenes with the Emperor, Vader and Luke in the Throne Room are the highest point, quality-wise, in all of the seven Star Wars movies.

Agree?
>>
>>67916627
Definitely. ROTJ is like a very slow, uneventful, boring Wrestlemania, but the Main Event was such a five-star historic match that overall, it was a good Wrestlemania. Thats how I think of ROTJ
>>
>>67916627
yes.
one of the 3 best scenes in the whole saga.
a final match like no other ever
>>
>>67916627
Yes

The 11/10 quality of the Luke/Vader/Sheev stuff is what saves the movie, otherwise it's almost phantom menace tier
>>
>>67917287
>otherwise it's almost phantom menace tier

Fuck you, the space battle assault on DS2 is literally the best space battle in movie history, and a high point of the movie
>>
>>67917350
Oh yeah, the space battle is pretty cool too

But Jabba's palace goes on far too long and the Endor surface stuff is almost unbearable
>>
So that's TWO movies Ian McDiermid has saved almost by himself. Why haven't Star Wars fans built a statue of him yet?
>>
File: Darth Vader vs Luke.webm (2 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
Darth Vader vs Luke.webm
2 MB, 720x304
>>67916627
Absolutely. Episode VI is my favorite just for that, everything else good in it was just gravy.
>>
File: 1459189430088.webm (3 MB, 1920x818) Image search: [Google]
1459189430088.webm
3 MB, 1920x818
Are the bits with Luke and Vader the feelsiest moments in the history of SW?
>>
File: 1454832781813.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454832781813.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPe-ly0BHM
>>
Yes. It also has the best theme in the entire saga

>inb4 muh Binary Sunset
>>
>>67917560
>Help me take this mask off
>but you'll die...
>...nothing can stop that now. Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes

>I won't leave you here, I have to save you!
>You already...have, Luke. You were right about me. Tell your sister...
>...you were right.

I'm one of RotJ's biggest detractors, but god DAMN this shit is great, I tear up just thinking about it.

I really feel like you can tell which scenes were written by Kasdan and which ones were hijacked by Lucas to sell toys
>>
YOU
like your memes are now...MINE
>>
>>67917641
Which one? The one when Vader and Luke arrive to Sheev's throne, or the one where Luke goes into rage mode?
>>
>>67917438
this is probably the best part of return of the jedi
>>
>>67917438
I like how it really seemed like swordfighting and not choreographed bullshit in the OT.
>>
>>67917654
All the Luke, Vader, and Sheev scenes were goat.

The thing that ruined ROTJ was those fucking Ewoks. Not because they were fucking walking teddy bears to make merchandise out of but they took down STs with sticks and rocks.
>>
File: youalreadysavedme.png (576 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
youalreadysavedme.png
576 KB, 1280x536
>>67917520
>>67917560
the best redemption ever put on screen.
all in all, anakin has one of the best story arcs in movie history
>>
>>67917654
>Kasdan, creator of starkiller base

>not a hack

Come on bruh, a lot of good shit was George, just with good editing the prequels never got
>>
>>67917755
RotJ was very flawed. the whole retarded plan to rescue Han, the Ewoks beating the Empire's ass, a fucking second Death Star
>>
>>67917701
The one where Luke fights Vader
>>
>>67917767
>the best redemption ever put on screen.

No. Not killing his own son doesn't make up for all the many, many horrible things he's done. And Anakin's story arc was shit.
>>
>>67917787
Starkiller base is a very minor part of TFA. I'm willing to forgive any minor shortcomings because he fucking wrote ESB.

and if you actually know anything about the production of the OT, George was NEVER the sole "creator", he just happened to get rich off sole ownership of the merchandising rights, so he was able to self-finance every film after the original so he could sell himself as the sole creative mind.
>>
>>67917896
>Starkiller base is a very minor part of TFA.

The parts with Poe and co. trying to blow it up felt like they went on forever. Incredibly dull.
>>
>>67916627
Totally agree only parts of jabbas palace and some ewok shit dragged it down a little pure kino
>>
>>67917964
it's literally not even three minutes of the movie

Starkiller Base is just a plot device to get the heroes and villains all in one place and most of it is on the ground, focused on the characters

if the entire climax was focused on the X-Wing's fight to destroy Starkiller base, I'd be bitching about it too.
>>
>>67917896
>very minor

>destroys the republic in one shot without even entering the same system

No
It did major work completing the total annihilation of ROTJ's ending optimism.

Fuck

That
>>
>>67916627
Emperor's room scene is definitely legit
>>
>>67918039
let's wait to see if the Republic was actually destroyed entirely, it's not like the United States would cease to exist if someone nuked Washington

Laura Dern is heavily speculated to be playing a Republic General/Senator/someone in a position of power who is in conflict with Poe and Leia over the handling of the war with the First Order
>>
>>67917767
>burning a corpse
Foolish Apollonian gesture.
>>
>>67918020
>it's literally not even three minutes of the movie

It felt like forever.
>>
>>67917755
now imagine it w/ wookies instead
combined w/ the space battle and the Sheevocalypse it's now a 5 star climax and the best SW movie
>>
>>67916627
I completely agree
>>
>>67917641
agreed yub nub was classic.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 259x194
>>67917896
George Lucas can be credited with these three elements of Plotting, which were not a big part of TFA. Lucas is just evidently too humble because some gag writers see an opportunity to steal some glory.
>>
>>67918104
That's dumb speculation.

The intent by the makers of TFA was to have underdog rebels fight a grand imperial force. They've claimed the republic did not have much military, so leia had to make her resistance out of scraps. In the prequels, the republic had the senate and the jedi, then gained an army in AOTC. They did not have a grand army in TFA according to producers/writers, the jedi were kill, and starshitter blew up the senate.
>>
>>67918352
the whole progress of Vader as a character was absolutely improvised. don't give Lucas so much credit
>>
>>67918104
The whole Resistance/First Order/Republic relation is pretty murky at best. Why is the Republic so small? How could the First Order build the Starkiller base without anyone noticing? Why doesn't the Resistance have anything bigger than an X-wing. Why doesn't the resistance have anything other than an X-wing?
>>
>>67918547
From ANH we are first told vader is a fallen hero, maybe his redemption was improvised after TESB, but they foreshadowed it with luke sensing the good in him
>>
>>67917395
>he doesn't like the speeder bike chase

Sucks to be you m8
>>
>>67917438
Where the fuck was Luke hiding? Behind a thin stair strut?
>>
>>67918669
Luke never sensed good in him, not until RotJ. His redemption and his relationship with Luke and Obi Wan were imrpovised. as much as i love the character, it's undeniable that the two most important aspects of his character were improvised
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 640x480
>>67918547
I'll admit that the prequels also lack those things.

How will they build the endings up in merit?
>>
no...NO...NOO!
>>
>>67918853
>Luke never sensed good in him before ROTJ

i'm sure this has nothing to do with his previously underdeveloped force connection.
>>
>>67916627

Although I don't agree, the throne room is arguably the most magnficient set in the OT, and the dramatic resolution of the conflict is a very good, um, "final boss fight", though of course the concept doesn't map, I just needed to throw out a phrase. It ties things up fairly nicely in a big important room that lets you know things are big and important.

I rather dislike the dismissal of ROTJ, however (it is literally muh ewoks). After all as we've just established the throne room is great, the trilogy wraps with a nice neat bow, it's the first legitimate look at Jabba and all of his muppet baddies, and the overall battle of Endor is an extremely tight, well-edited action narrative in three places, with three different dramatic components. This thing does not plod on, it's not 2.5+ hours. It hews tightly and faithfully to the established pacing formula, albeit taking the energy in different directions.

The quality peak in the OT is somewhere in the second half of Empire, maybe it's simply the whole latter half of that picture. The bildungsorman cycle is near its bottom part, and we're /really/ invested in these people and robots, by this point.
>>
>>67918020
>Of all the plot devices they had to use ANOTHER Death Star
>>
>>67917560
I know the Death Star II was about to explode and all that so they probably weren't paying attention, but I still wonder what the officers and troopers thought about Luke dragging about Vader on the ground.
>>
>Father....Pleeeaasee!

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that Rey will go through anything as torturous as Luke?
>>
>>67917767
I'd be afraid that something in his suit would cause it to explode if put in a fire. Kind of like throwing in a can of soda.
>>
>>67920185
probably not. that scene with Luke was incredible intense drama. i doubt Ridley can compare
>>
>>67916627
Frankly, I disagree. For me bespin in ESB was the best entire sequence.
>>
File: 1459147174882.webm (3 MB, 1220x520) Image search: [Google]
1459147174882.webm
3 MB, 1220x520
>>67920185
The entire OT cast, Chewie and R2 included, will die for the sake of her """""""development""""""" and that's it.
>>
>>67920866
>preferring the foreplay to the climax
>>
>>67920888
Oh great, the TFaggots have come to shit up another thread.
>>
File: 1452825100716.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1452825100716.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>67920866
That was also GOAT.
>>
>>67920919
Anon was bashing it though.
>>
>>67920892
Not quite. "Bad guy sacrifices himself to be good at the last minute" just isn't that unique. I'm not saying it's bad, but I like bespin the mood it gives off feels interesting and unique to Star Wars. Bespin is supposed to comfortable, as lando is theoretically a friend, but it just feels uneasy from the start. The emptiness, the coldness of the henchmen, and the back shit with c3po getting destroyed. I think it's just an amazing sequence that happens to lead to one of the most epic scenes/lines in all of film and pushes the plot of Star Wars forward. And that image of extreme discomfort with Luke hanging onto the city itself to avoid falling into the planet is just so cool. No other space movies involve people exploring gas planets. And having it all end with leia sensing Luke's presence is just the icing on the cake.
>>
>>67916627
how can anyone disagree? It was literally the culmination of all the movies condescend.

I rewatched the movies before episode 7 and I was in tears. My entire family and my gf were laughing at me but I didn't care. Those scene was great.

>when Luke strikes out at the emperor in anger
>when he's begging his father to help
>anakin finally defeats vader and saves his son

My eyes are getting moist just thinking about it. What a great sequence.
>>
>>67916767
hmm...kinda like sundays mania ;)
>>
>>67916627
Yeah it's the high point of the series. A shame about the rest of the movie.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U
Yes I do actually. David Lynch should have directed Return of the Jedi tho.
>>
File: star-wars-force-ghosts-1070x459.jpg (73 KB, 1070x459) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-force-ghosts-1070x459.jpg
73 KB, 1070x459
Grinned like a faggot at this part. What a perfect ending.
>>
>>67923548
Why doesnt Disney release the original versions already!? Honestly I prefer the remastered of Empire but absolutely hate the remasteres of Hope and Return.
>>
>tfw people say 'wait for the next movie! that will explain everything!'

i can't wait for the next star wars to come out and all the faggotty fanbois to have bitch tears about how shit and 'progressive' it is :^)
>>
>>67917520

No. This is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsXOvcpdlyw
>>
>>67923875
I'm laughing lad.
Is the whole series this bad?
>>
>>67917822
whats wrong with that the emperor knew it would bait the rebels hes like a master space shitposter
>>
If they went with Wookiees instead of Ewoks the film would have been 10/10. I don't really see why people call it boring. I think it's a good balance between goofy and serious. It optimizes what Star Wars is supposed to be.
>>
File: Ahsoka_Leaves.png (1 MB, 1056x1180) Image search: [Google]
Ahsoka_Leaves.png
1 MB, 1056x1180
>>67923875
"Ahsoka"
My fucking heart every time.
>>
>>67916627
RotJ has faults that the other two really don't have.

But first off. The story is extremely well written. The execution not so much: Ewoks, force kick, Boba Fett going down like a bitch.

The Emperor is a egotistical mad man, brilliant in his plots. Will wipe out the Rebels by leading them into a trap. Where he will fire a giant laser beam to blow up their fleet.
It is fucking great. If I was him I would do that same thing. Sounds fucking awesome.

But the overconfidence he has, is his undoing. And with that we see the rebels winning the space fight because the Emperor doesn't want his Star Destroyers to attack. He just wants to use his big laser. The Ewoks help turn the tide of the ground battle. Vader helps Luke. The son of his apprentice not get turned to the dark side??? Impossible!

The story is so fucking good. Han lets Lando use the Falcon! An unfinished Death Star that they can fly right into, making it a better trench run. Luke turns his father back to the light side. Jedi Knight Luke taking out Jabba's whole crew, that is how good a Jedi is.

The execution is not the worst. Luke wears all black making you think he could turn to the dark side. It just makes him look bad ass. I liked Jabba's palace and most of the desert scenes. Speeder battle. Space fights.

The movie is not perfect but it is still fantastic. It had to follow Empire Strikes back, one of the best movies of all time. I think we need to give it a break in regards to expectations. It did a good job in meeting and exceeding many of those expectations.
>>
>>67917842
He did kind of kill the emperor though, the unquestioned leader of the whole galactic empire which being so centralized probably wouldn't deal well with.

And then Abrams just ignores these implications and has a new Emperor Palpatine take over and just change the name and nothing else basically. Fuck Abrams.
>>
>>67920185
That would require her to not constantly succeed at absolutely everything.
>>
>>67916627
I just watched ROTJ again and it wasn't that terrible. I'd say it's more fun than TFA
>>
>>67923548
Who's that ugly, fat old man?
>>
File: music-chills.jpg (65 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
music-chills.jpg
65 KB, 600x375
>yfw this fucking music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_ooqHzYGc
>>
>>67923875
Who's a bigger Mary Sue: Rey or Ahsoka?
>>
>>67926518
Rey
>>
>>67918734
>God Tier
Throne room

>Good Tier
Space battle
Speeder chase
Rancor fight

>Mediocre Tier
Rest of Jabba's palace

>Ewok Tier
Everything else
>>
>>67926518
movie and earlyer seasons Ahsoka is a bigger Mary Sue than Rey 2bh
>>
The Ewoks never bothered me.
>>
>>67926563
*earlier
kek
>>
>>67916627
I like ROTJ more than ANH, but I entirely agree, Luke in the Emperor's throne room was the absolute best portion of the trilogy.
>>
>>67917438
>it took three movies for Luke to be able to stand his own against Darth Vader
>it takes a few days for Rey being able to whoop the main villain's ass
And I'm pretty sure JJ added Chewie shooting Kylo Ren in a script revision to make it make slightly more sense. It still doesn't make sense and still sucks.
>>
>>67916767
Is ROTJ the Wrestlemania 30 of films
>>
RoTJ was good.
Maybe not as good as Empire or Hope, but fuck all of the disney kikes who are saying TFA is better than it.
No it's not. TFA was barely better than the prequels. Anyone disagrees is a faggot shill and not a true star wars fan.
>>
>>67916627
This is literally the case of every Star Wars movie. Especially ESB.
>>
File: Edna_reflection.jpg (63 KB, 677x403) Image search: [Google]
Edna_reflection.jpg
63 KB, 677x403
>>67918282
>That mixture of bowcaster fire and goddamn bear attacks
>Lone Wookiee running at a Scout Trooper and ripping his arms off
Sweet Jesus
>>
>>67927212
>of kill the emperor
Yeah no. Dividing the finale into 3 separate battles in RoTJ made it slow and clumsy.
>>
>>67926550
Decent ranking, but I'd elevate the sail barge fight to good tier
>>
>>67926731
Injured and mentally fucked Kylo Ren was nowhere close to Prime Vader in ability. Also Rey had a lifetime experience of using melee weapons, whereas Luke only had experience as a starfigther pilot (which of course he's god tier at).

I mean, it was sort of like premature ejaculation to have Rey do that kind of thing early on from a dramatic viewpoint, but it does make a little bit of sense.
>>
Am I the only one who much prefers A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back? I really don't get how people consider Empire to be the best.
>>
>>67928375
It doesn't. Anyone who uses "he was injured!" as an excuse is fanboying. Films don't work that way - if his injury is impeding his ability to fight, you have to show it. He doesn't clutch at his side or stagger around or anything like that, he's leaping about athletically and attacking relentlessly. Saying "he was injured" is just an after-the-fact excuse, it's not a factor in the scene itself.
>>
>>67916627
No.
>>
>>67928366
This.

The worm pit was great.
>>
>>67928515
Your opinion is shit.
>>
>>67926443
That's the best version of that I've seen on Youtube, thanks.
>>
I don't know about absolute highest, but they're up there. RotJ is a messy movie that struggles with its execution in a few areas but it's still good. I like it more than TFA or the prequels.
>>
>>67928502
Whether it was a factor in his performance or not doesn't even matter, because the thing that clearly made Rey win was suddenly remembering that the Force exists.
>>
>>67916627
Absolutely. The entire climax with Luke-Vader-Emperor and the space battle (best Star Wars space battle) is the peak of the entire saga.
Just listen to this shit.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHFsnw5P3Y
>>
File: 1459793184006.jpg (458 KB, 1741x660) Image search: [Google]
1459793184006.jpg
458 KB, 1741x660
>>67916627
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>67928494
ANH is a fine standalone adventure, but it doesn't have anything as good as the Yoda scenes, Han's death, or duel between Luke and Vader.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.