[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
File: 1122630003.jpg (75 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
1122630003.jpg
75 KB, 1280x854
Sooo uhhhh what the fuck happened?
>>
He went to 1960 stopped the president from dying and came back to an apocalypse
>>
But what was the apocalypse? Like I'm just confused about the timeline. What were the bombings and the camps?
>>
>>67916006
He realized time wasn't worth changing
>>
>>67916090
We don't really know. JFK got 2 terms and then the guy elected next ushered in the end of the world
>>
>>67916138
But what were the JFK camps?
>>
>>67916090
book goes way more in dept as to what happens during the apocalypse.
>>
>>67916090
Wallace, the fascist Texas politician Oswald tried to shoot became president after Kennedy, fucking up the tense cold war much more than Johnson or Nixon would've, which in turn led to a (at least partial) dissolution of the U.S.

The Kennedy camps were refugee camps started by JFK after the fallout in an effort to help devastated citizens.
>>
>>67916179
JFK attempted to help people after the bombings. It didn't work out.
>>
>>67916193
After watching this I'm really thinking about reading it. I guess it wasn't even really important. Just important that there was an apocalypse.
>>
>>67916090
it's ambiguous, Something happened as a result of JFK living. It could be that Vietnam attacked America first considering JFK wanted no involvement in the Vietnam war.
>>
>>67916179
refugee camps from the war and bombings
>>
anybody got any pics or webms of fucked up Bill in the mental hospital?
>>
>>67916179
He said they were set up after the bombs. I think the implications is Wallace led us into something like WW3.
>>
>that final dance
>>
Howd everyone like it? I thought it was really good. Fuck anyone who complains about Franco. Who else could it have been?
>>
>>67916314
I fucking loved it. It was so comfy.
>>
>>67916207
Ohhhhh I forgot that was wallace
>>
File: 1400833267959.jpg (8 KB, 229x250) Image search: [Google]
1400833267959.jpg
8 KB, 229x250
>>67916311
>tfw you have loved someone enough to break the loop for in order to ensure their happiness
>>
>>67916314
it was pretty much a perfect ending.
>>
Literally just finished it.
Wow. That ending.
>>
File: FL_00192660_014.jpg (1 MB, 2047x1492) Image search: [Google]
FL_00192660_014.jpg
1 MB, 2047x1492
Muh everlasting waifu...
>>
>>67916797
It's her birthday today
>>
>>67916090
If JFK didn't die America would get BTFO by Cuba/Russia.

WW III ensues and Nukes start going off everywhere.
>>
>>67916817

Yesterday, but yeah. That was a nice coincidence, finale on her birthday.
>>
>>67916465
literally I jsut cant even

wow

just

cant

even

literally

absolutely

literal
>>
>>67916006
Part of the reason the alt-future is messed up is because a lot of natural disasters (earthquakes) start to happen because of the divergence of the timeline. Kennedy not dying sets off a big earthquake in LA. The farther into the future it gets, the worse the earthquakes get because the timeline is more divergent.

Besides that it's just alt-history King made up, like the civil rights stuff doesn't pass because there's no wave of sympathy from Kennedy's death. So blacks race riot and even take over Chicago at one point, and the next President firebombs Chicago. Other stuff of that sort happens.
>>
File: Richard.jpg (34 KB, 393x419) Image search: [Google]
Richard.jpg
34 KB, 393x419
>mfw yellow card bum guy is Beni from the Mummy
>>
>>67918416
THANK YOU! I've been shitposting him in mummy threads and no one gets it.
>>
>>67918673
lol
I was laughing like a fucking retard when he was talking about his daughter drowning over and over again.
It was sad, but his fucking voice is just Beni.
>>
Overall it was good. At first I hated Bill then thought the buddy cop thing was cool. Then he was an ass then him dying was funny. Pretty solid for a character who wasn't even in the book.
>>
File: kevin j oconnor.jpg (54 KB, 400x429) Image search: [Google]
kevin j oconnor.jpg
54 KB, 400x429
>>67916006
He wasn't supposed to be there.
>>
>>67918359
>Part of the reason the alt-future is messed up is because a lot of natural disasters (earthquakes) start to happen because of the divergence of the timeline
That stuff doesn't make sense to me for it to occur because of a change in time. Only human made disaster should occur if only a humans fate was meddled with. Unless humans suddenly came up with the technology to cause man-made earthquake machines. For stuff like that to occur naturally is bogus.
>>
Post Sadie webms
>>
>>67919016

This is one of the things explained in the book and not in the movie, which is why it was left out of the movie.

The Green Card Man explains that each time you make a new timeline you make a new string. The more strings you make and the more you fuck with them the worse things get. Basically saving JFK was so major that it nearly destroys everything about that timeline.
>>
>>67919016
No it's not man made. It's that there's one "true" timeline and because Jake messed it up really bad, that causes a lot of earthquakes, and the more divergent this timeline gets from the "true" one, the worse the quakes got.

Basically this part happened because King said so. It's not meant to be an alt-history thing, it literally happens just because of the timestream reacting badly to changes. It's a physics thing (in his made up time travel scheme), not a history thing.
>>
>>67916090

* 1964 election: Kennedy thought he would sweep Goldwater but instead only won by 40 electoral votes.

* 1965: Kennedy upsets right-wing voters and “the military establishment” by declaring “North Vietnam less a danger to our democracy than the racial inequality in our schools and cities”.

* 1965: Kennedy does not withdraw American troops entirely from Vietnam, but restricts troops to just the city of Saigon and a perimeter around it he called “The Green Zone”. In Kennedy’s second term, troops were not sent to Vietnam as reinforcements…and instead economic aid was sent.

* 1965-1969: civil rights reforms did not happen because Kennedy was still president and had no inclination to do the things that Johnson did in our timeline.

* King claims that “Republicans and Dixiecrats filibustered for one hundred and ten days, with one actually dying on the floor and becoming a hero”…and this made Kennedy give up on civil rights. Kennedy makes the quote: “White America has filled its house with kindling; now it will burn”.

* 1965-1968: Race War; Martin Luther King is assassinated in Chicago. The assassin turns out to be a former FBI agent working under the orders of J. Edgar Hoover. Blacks burn Chicago to the ground in retaliation and set fire to a dozen other American cities.

* 1965-1968: Kennedy preoccupied with Race War and allows South Vietnam to fall to North. Public opinion heavily swings against Kennedy and he will leave office a broken, battered, and maligned figure.
>>
>>67919294
What a terrible president
>>
>>67919351

At least his race war is fictional, Obama brought us an actual race war.
>>
>>67919294

* Jake Epping himself became a point of fixation for conspiracy buffs, since after saving Kennedy he just “vanished” and no one was ever able to find him again. He had been using the name “George Amberson” in the past; President Kennedy was able to call him and thank him for saving his life on the telephone, but “Amberson” disappeared shortly after that. When “Amberson” never made it to the White House to accept Kennedy’s thanks in person, people started wondering what happened to him. By 2012, whole conventions emerged around the cottage industry of who Ambersonreallywas and why he saved Kennedy’s life that day.

* 1967 — “The Great Saigon Fuck-All”; Instead of a Tet Offensive happening in 1968, it happened in 1967.

* 1968: George Wallace elected 36th President of the United States with Curtis LeMay elected Vice President.

* 1968: Earthquakes begin hitting the world as ramification for all of the changes to the timeline.

* 1969 — “Hanoi Hell”, when nuclear weapons were dropped on Vietnam. Between 1969-2012 more than twenty-eight atomic bombs were used in various wars around the globe.

* June of 1969: President Wallace declares all-out-war on Chicago and attempts to regain control of the city from the blacks who set fire to it and took control, creating a fiefdom in Illinois.

* June of 1969: President Wallace gives Ho Chi Minh an ultimatum: make Saigon a free city like Berlin or see Hanoi become a dead one like Hiroshima.
>>
>>67919383

* August 9th, 1969: “Uncle Ho” thought Wallace was bluffing, but Wallace marks the 24th anniversary of President Truman dropping “Fat Man” on Nagasaki by turning Hanoi into a radioactive cloud. Wallace gains enormous approval ratings from the bombing.

* May 15th, 1972: President Wallace assassinated by man named Arthur Bremer with a .38 revolver “Police Special” in a shopping mall in Laurel, Maryland.

* May 15th, 1972: Curtis LeMay becomes the 37th President of the United States.

* November 1972: Humbert Humphrey elected the 38th President of the United States.

* 1972: Earthquakes worsen, world suicide rate explodes, religious extremists seize chaos as opportunity for war between India and Pakistan. Bombay and Karachi are destroyed by nuclear bombs.

* 1972-1976: US, Russia, and China join together to force India and Pakistan to end their war — or risk being bombed “back to the stone age” by this coalition.

* 1976: Ronald Reagan elected the 39th President of the United States in a coast-to-coast landslide where “The Hump” couldn’t even hold onto his home state of Minnesota.

* 1979: 2,000 commit suicide in Jonestown, Guyana.

* November 1979: Iranian “students” overrun the American embassy in Tehran and take 200 hostages. Muslims executed Americans on live TV by beheading. President Reagan does not use nuclear weapons on Iran, but sends in military troops. Muslims form terrorist group called “The Base” — in Arabic, “Al Queda” — to plant roadside bombs in a guerrilla war against Americans in Iran.

* 1980: The Beatles reunite for a “peace concert”; a Muslim terrorist bomber detonates his vest and kills 300 spectators while also blinding Paul McCartney.

* 1980: The entire Middle East goes up in flames as militant Islam seizes on the chaos to enact the battle plans of the Koran.

* 1981: The Soviet Union collapses. Former Soviets begin selling the USSR’s nuclear arsenal to Muslims in Al Queda.
>>
>>67919434

* 1983: John F. Kennedy dies

* By 1994: Middle East oil fields are “so much black glass”

* 6/19/1999 — “Vermont Yankee went China Syndrome”; a nuclear reactor in Vermont was hit with an earthquake that irradiated New England and southern Quebec. The radiation slowly turned most New Englanders into radiation zombies whose faces gradually melted off.

* 2004: Hillary Clinton elected the 44th President of the United States…after Bill Clinton dies of heart attack at Democrats’ convention and Hillary is named the nominee in his place. No word on who her Vice President is.

* 2005 — Maine becomes a province of Canada

* massive, regular earthquakes in the Midwest, California, Europe, and China

* 2008 — four of the Japanese islands swallowed by the ocean “like they were dropped by an elevator”; Hokkaido and “three smaller islands”. Scientists say “it’s something to do with the Earth’s crust”

* 2008: Hillary Clinton re-elected; man on the street says “she’s doing a good job” and isn’t being blamed for the natural disasters since “no one can legislate against earthquakes”. This proves it’s an alternate dimension because in our world Hillary Clinton is blamed by many people for everything from rain storms to Tim Russert’s heart attack in the MSNBC studio.

* 2010: Muslims detonate suitcase nuclear dirty bomb in Miami, rendering the city uninhabitable for 80 years

* 2011: Gulf of Mexico declared “Dead Soup” from Islamic nuclear attack

* 2012: No mention is made of who is running for the 2012 presidential election. Since the apocalypse is near, it’s not hard to imagine Barack Obama being a candidate.

* 2080 — the year scientists believe Earth will be torn apart into an asteroid belt by the earthquakes
>>
>>67919494
>Hillary Clinton becoming President is so divergent earthquakes tear the world apart
>King hates Muslims
>>
>>67919614

No clearly it was all the Russians fault.
>>
>>67919494

Pretty sure I got everything.

The earthquakes are hinted to be because by saving Kennedy and changing the past, Jake severed a 'beam' holding our dimension together. Ties the story in with King's overall Dark Tower mythos.
>>
>>67920324

Shit, forgot the initial entry:

*1964 election: John F. Kennedy defeats Barry Goldwater. Lyndon Johnson remained Kennedy’s Vice President. Texas Governor Connally “worked like a slave for Kennedy” because Connally was personally embarrassed by the 1963 assassination attempt on Kennedy in Dallas. This was called ‘The Embarrassment Endorsement”. Many who would have opposed Kennedy’s “New Frontier” initiatives supported them because they were ashamed that Kennedy was almost killed in Dallas.
>>
>all these plebs itt
>>
>>67920545
who? why? are you one?
>>
File: Antiviral.webm (2 MB, 922x500) Image search: [Google]
Antiviral.webm
2 MB, 922x500
>>
>>67919294
>Kennedy in shit President shocker
>>
>>67922663
This. It's sad he was killed but he was an awful president
>>
shite mod deleted sadie thread

muh waifu will live!!!
>>
>>67916314
I don't really understand why everyone dislikes Franco so much. I've heard he's a shitty director, but I liked him in the show, 127 hours, and even (in a totally different respect from actual roles) the shit in the dude weed lmao movies.
>>
bait & switch: the show
>>
File: 5.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>67916465
Yeeah, wow. It was so shit.
>>
File: 1457344971794.jpg (631 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
1457344971794.jpg
631 KB, 1698x1131
The first 2 episodes were legit great. The time travel aspect seemed cool, the yellow card dude was creepy, and Jake trying to fit in was fun. Plus the 2nd episode was tense as fuck.

But then..... they did a timejump and started focusing only on Sadie. Quite frankly, it was shit. If Sadie wasn't as attractive, none of you would give a fuck.

Hell, in the end the yellow card man turned out to be....... absolutely pointless. Literally bait & switch.

There was no conspiracy, Oswald was just a pathetic faggot. And Jake never experimented with time after the first episode. Even when Bill died - which was admittedly 100% his fault - he didn't give a shit. Just muh Sadie.

Fucking shit.
>>
>>67916207
>>67916383
No he said "George Wallace", not " General Wallace ". George Wallace was the southern democrat who was pro-segregation and then got shot and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair
>>
So did James Franco even want to be on the show? After the first episode he put the lowest energy into acting possible.

He always made the face you make when you have to make 30 seconds of strained conversation with an old acquaintance after meeting them in an elevator.
>>
>>67916207
No, that guy was Walker.
>>
>>67925525
>So did James Franco even want to be on the show?
>get to make out with this
>>67924562
>>67924340
>>
So literally nothing that happened mattered in the end. Cool
>>
>>67925602
He's gay m8
>>
>>67925682
nigger uses instagram to hit up 17 year old girls
>>
>>67920464
>>67919494
>>67919434
>>67919383
>>67919294

This all makes the book sound more interesting than it actually is. This is all aftermath. the main meat of the book is just hanging out in a high school waiting to save Kennedy.
>>
>>67916225
>Vietnam attacked america first

With what? They had no capabilities to attack the US.
>>
>>67916006
Absolutely nothing anon. Classic Stephen King fuckery. Promises so much, but never delivers, and always pretends to be something it's not. But he's still a better writer than GRRM, so he's got that going for him.
>>
>>67925893

You're an idiot. Learn sum history m8
>>
>>67925967
Please enlighten me about the great force projection ability of the north vietnamese armed forces that would allow them to strike at the US.
>>
>>67919434
>>67919494

this is the stupidest alternate history timeline i've ever seen. king should gas himself.
>>
this was meh.
shouldve mad a show out of the long walk.
>>
>>67916314
>lazy eye
>always looks like he's stoned
>doesn't do genuine "happy" well
>serious roles always come off campy and more funny than dramatic

But I'll always remember as that cool kid who played dungeons & dragons with the geeks.
>>
>>67919087
>It's that there's one "true" timeline
Then why even have some random closet that takes you back to 1960? The whole concept is fucking retarded. But I wouldn't have expected more from King.
>>
>>67918359
Yeah I'm bothered by the whole "the past fights back" thing too. It would be fine if it was more consistent, and maybe it was in the books, but it seemed to just show up and be a minor inconvenience when it felt like it. I guess the past is a hormonal teenager.
>>
>>67918416
>>67918869
I recognized him as the "brother" from 'There Will be Blood', but I knew I saw him somewhere else. Pretty good "hey, it's that guy" actor.
>>
Imagine if Obama got assassinated in 2010 and everybody would cry over MUH GREATEST PRESIDENT.
But he isn't the greatest president. He's kind of average.
I think Kennedy would have been a lot like that.
>>
The ending was really bitter-sweet.

Good series.

Obviously not up to par with TD S1 or Fargo S1, but definitely worth a watch.
>>
>>67924731
>There was no conspiracy
Ya, I was expecting Jake to stop Oswald or make him miss the first shot, then a second shooter would still kill the president. Not necessarily working with Oswald, but maybe others had planned to assassinate JFK and the shot made them rush their plan. King coped out on the whole conspiracy thing.

>Oswald was just a pathetic faggot
They also made him sound like a retard too. It's like they were going out of their way to defame someone who has already been defamed and dragged in the mud. They really want the audience to stop believing in those conspiracies.
>>
>>67926426
>They also made him sound like a retard too.

Which is odd, because if you listen to an interview Oswald gave just 3 months before 11/22/63, he sounds...perhaps not intellectual, but like any other political activist. He sounds more sane than most of the wackos on the news these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_mg5-KCjRU

Of all the things I didn't like, the crass portrayal of Oswald was perhaps the worst. The book isn't really much better, there's no stupid yelling "I'm going to kill you!" in a parking lot, but King barely even alludes to Oswald's political activities. You'd think he just stayed at home all day and beat his wife. Would've been much more interesting to actually make him a whole person, flaws and all.
>>
>>67918416
holy shit
>>
>>67918416
YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE O'CONNELL
>>
File: 1459858850432.webm (2 MB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
1459858850432.webm
2 MB, 1280x640
I never went to a prom, are they anything like this nowadays?
>>
>>67929007
girls can't swing dance anymore :(

most dances are just twerking and slow dancing ackwardly
>>
>>67916090
there were references to 'the stand'
>>
>the past doesn't like to be changed, so it fucks with you
>old guy spends years going back and forth, apparently doesn't kill anyone only gets 'close' and intel gathers
>MC kills at least 2 people utterly changing the lives of individuals involve
>he gets involved with at least 2 people who should both normally have lived without his interaction
>JFK is saved
>HES A FUCKING TIME TRAVELER AND SHOULD BY DEFINITION NOT BE THERE

Why doesn't this asshole have time cancer by the time he kills that abusive drunk?

You get little bits of 'past pushing back' but it's mostly a joke used for 'conveniently timed drama' (the fire, redneck wanting to fuck the russian, redneck suicide, gambling cartel, amnesia etc) instead of fucking his life up all day everyday. He's changed so fucking much even before running into oswald and all that's happened is his cheat book got slightly burned with no repercussion.

Such a shit version of 'you can't change the past for lolButterflyEffect will rape you in ways you can't expect'. Please stop adapting King works, this was a fucking mess.
>>
>>67929267
yeah i liked the past pushing back in the last episode because i thought there would be more shit like that, like the car driving through the phonebox and then the driver all bloody telling him 'you're not supposed to be here' or the chandelier almost killing him after avoiding the fire that took al out. felt more like stephen king but i never actually read the man
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.