[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the film adaptions do the books justice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6
File: Ringstrilogyposter.jpg (143 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
Ringstrilogyposter.jpg
143 KB, 800x540
Did the film adaptions do the books justice?
>>
Yes and they will go down as some of the greatest films of all time

no memes allowed
>>
>>67895403
Yes.

If you wanted to talk about LOTR, you could've just said so.
>>
>>67895403
yes
with a lot less filler
>>
>>67895403
Pretty much. Yes.
>>
The movies are even better than the books so yeah.
>>
>>67895403

Yes, they did do the books justice, HOWEVER some minor changes were purely for financial reasons.

>including Arwen instead of Glorfindel was entierly for women viewers
>no Frodo turns 50
>Helms deep elves

Despite some details, its a solid trilogy.
>>
They are decent adaptions for this medium.

No film could ever include every except of the novel. There have to be compromises for several unavoidable reasons.
>>
The movies are better than the books imo
The silmarillion is still better though
>>
Why was Tom Bombadil cut?
And the end scene at the shire where Sauramon has taken it over
>>
>>67895501
Arwen was way more interesting than Glorfindel though anyway.
>>
>>67895501
Yes absolutely. Plus Glorfindel is only really important if you know that he is so badass and old that he battled like 10 Balrogs, then died and then came back to Middle Earth being so old that he's the only elf with a beard
>Helms deep elves
Even thought compared to the books that was out of nowhere it was all worth it for the "that's not orc horn" scene
>>
>>67895531
Will Jackson ever tackle that or has he fallen from grace after the hobbit trilogy?

I actually havent seen the hobbit movies but I hear a lot of complaints about them
>>
>>67895403
I finished the book last week for the first time and it's safe to say that the the films are a near perfect adaption. The fellowship is probably my favorite film ever ;)
>>
>>67895542
because they kill off saruman at the beginning of the third movie, the only reference to the battle of the shire is the vision galadriel gives to frodo in fellowship
>>
>>67895542
I never understood the battle for the shrine part. Yes, it shows that their home have changed since they went on their journey, probably something to do with veterans in WW1 or whatever. But it feels so...unnecesary. Like a sudden boss after the credits. It it had happened before the ending and we saw regular folks fighting it would had been better I think.
>>
>>67895630
That surprised me reading the book last week, they were on their way back to the shire but there was loads of pages left and I thought uwotm8. The shire battle was pretty good but I can see why they didn't put the in the film, it might have looked a bit retarded.
>>
I honestly think these films did as much justice to their source material as possibly achievable with cinema.
>>
>>67895777
*shire
>>
>>67895542
Tom Bombadil was essentially useless material: he didn't further the overall plot and was very much contained within the whole barrow wights arc.
>>
>>67895879

Technically speaking youre incorrect sir.

Tom Bombadil saves them and then gives the hobbits each a dagger/sword from the barrow wights.

No daggers, no Eowyn killing the with-king.
>>
>>67895403
Yes, it cuts down a lot of content but the essentials of the story and themes are there, there are parts that should have been included to drive home some points but even then it was still a fantastic adaptation of a work that for years was thought to be impossible to adapt to other media.
>>
As good as the lotr trilogy is, I just wish we got a 1:1 adaption of the books
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 351x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 351x144
Quick, post your favorite scene of the trilogy
>>
>>67896174
I was disappointed when I expected this scene to happen in the book and It didn't
>>
>>67896174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTstBMkeAH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
>>
>>67895928
So, the only way for the party to get their +1 weapons is if Fag God in Yellow hands them over...?

No mate, TB didn't need to be there.
>>
They kind of fucked up Gimli / Legolas, but the way they did it in the films also worked well so I'm not about to bitch about that.

My one big gripe is elves at Helm's Deep, that made young-me mad.
>>
>>67896174
When Gandalf and Eomer come charging down the slop in TTT and the sun peaks out right before they make contact with the Uruks.
>>
>>67896174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnw7uCaxhc
>>
The comfy level in the books was at maximum, especially the tom part and the caras galadhon part
>>
>>67896274
The few times Gimli acted serious were great
>"The sun is rising"
>>
File: 1459736425979.jpg (25 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
1459736425979.jpg
25 KB, 370x370
>>67895403
>cloakshit
I want neo-/tv/ plebs to leave
>>
>>67896174
I actually love that scene, though I would have guessed that only Sam and Frodo should be standing and not Merry or Pippin, though while both of them accomplish a lot in both the books and films their achievements can never match what Frodo and Sam did.
>>
>>67895403
They were great films on their own, but they kind of dropped the ball when they didn't have the Scourging of the Shire.
>>
>>67896339
>aigh, i could do that.
>>
>>67895575
he will never do sillmarillion. Also doubt he'll ever make a good film again
>>
Eomer. Take your Èored down the left flank!
>>
>>67896260

>he didnt read Silmarillion

Ok so are you aware of this:

>The Barrow-blades were found in the barrow of a Barrow-wight on the Barrow-downs and given to the hobbits by Tom Bombadil, who told them that the blades were forged long ago by Men of Westernesse, foes of the Dark Lord who were overcome by the evil king of Carn Dûm in the Land of Angmar.

To explain the relevance:

>It was enchanted with the power to harm the Witch-king of Angmar himself by a weaponsmith of Arthedain long before. >When he stabbed the Witch-king in the knee with it, it distracted the Nazgûl and broke the spell binding his undead flesh to his will, allowing Eowyn to kill him by driving her sword into his unseen head, thus fulfilling the prophesy of Glorfindel that "not by the hand of man shall he fall." Merry's Barrow-blade then burned away, a fate common to weapons brought into contact with the Witch-king.

LOTR didnt start in a vacuum.

>Even the smallest of creatures can shape the destiny of the world.
>>
>>67896362

>using terms like cloakshit
>calling anyone else neo-/tv/

Sure thing m8.
>>
>>67895575
No one will ever do the Silmarillion until Tolkien's son dies.
>>
>>67896383
No mate, they had it as a vision in Galadriel's pool. That worked fine.

Adding it at the end felt, 'Suddenly, this shit!' in the books, it would have been worse on film.
>>
>>67896247
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
Fuck you now I have to see the entire scene again. God damn it it was so awesome to see that in theaters.
>>
>>67895501
>no Frodo turns 50
That was cut for pacing issues

>Helms deep elves
They were actually going to remove them after realizing that a subplot of Arwen fighting in Helm's Deep was a retarded idea but test audiences clapped when the elves showed up so they left them in there.
>>
>>67896550
Well that's just like, your opinion man!
>>
File: 6548.jpg (30 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
6548.jpg
30 KB, 600x480
>>67895501

Arwen was one of the main issues with the trilogy on the whole. The Aragorn / Arwen romance is entirely in the appendices and their face time together during the trilogy is minimal so it was pretty tough to make work on film.

Originally PJ cut the Eowyn subplot entirely and replaced her with Arwen. Eowyn wouldn't exist at all and Arwen would show up leading the elf army at Helm's Deep and then would go on to kill the Witch-King at Pelennor Fields. This is why when Arwen first shows up she's in she-elf warrior badass mode but then for the rest of the trilogy she's in pretty elf princess outfits and doesn't fight once.

Somewhere along during the filming of Two Towers (perhaps due to MASSIVE fan backlash against Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep) PJ put Eowyn back in the story and added the Aragorn dream sequence after he falls off the cliff to give he and Arwen some scenes together.

Works MUCH better that way even if it gave us a disjointed Arwen.
>>
Why is the Silmarillion so fucking good guys?
>>
>>67896600
Because Fëanor doesn't take any shit.
>>
>>67896383

Would just be too much in one sitting.
>>
>>67896524
uhuh, see >>67896260 and add 'yes or no?' To my question.

>Let's add more padding
Nope, let's trim the fat.
>>
>>67896600
Because
>MUH SILMARILS
>>
Helm's deep elves was the only major blunder. Let men have their moment.
>>
>>67896600
It has the charm of an unfinished work.
>>
>>67895403
No, cause Christopher Tolkien says so
>>
>>67896635

And you clearly seem to not understand bigger themes of the Tolkien universe.
>>
>>67896600
It's so dry though
I read the whole thing but I wouldn't say it was very fun
>>
>>67896174
>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMCXrlxkhx0
>>
>>67896702
Nope, I just don't see them as necessary to telling the story.

Fanboys already know, casual audience would just switch off.

If you were objective for but a moment, you'd see I was right.
>>
>>67896696
Chris is a hack who has never written shit.
>>
>>67896174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UayQi2tdJTw
>>
>>67896696
Did he not get a big enough cut from his father's work?
>>
>>67896880
But he alone understands his father's work. Middle-Earth was never meant to be enjoyed. It was meant to be treated as a sacred text like the Bible or the Koran.
>>
>>67896655
They barely do nothing but spam arrows. It is not like in the hobbit when they jump in front of the dwarf phallanx to steal the spotlight. They die and are forgotten during Theoden's charge.
>>
>>67896844

>Nope, I just don't see them as necessary to telling the story.

There we go. YOU personally dont understand the relevance. There we have it.
>>
>>67896973

kek.

Chris really is the ultimate sperglord.
>>
>>67897074
S-shut up! It says on page x of the appendix that this character had blue eyes and Peter Jackson RUINED IT! REEEEEE!
>>
Just to put the issue to rest: There's really no question that Tolkien would have hated these movies.

He was asked to give notes on a potential script in the 70's (not the Bakshi one) and he really hated it and that script didn't make nearly as many changes as PJ's did. For example, Tolkien hated that the script turned the Weathertop scene into a action sequence / fight scene and PJ did that times a thousand. Tolkien hated action on the whole which is why he describes the way Sauron breeds horses for 20 pages but spends 3 on the Battle of Helm's Deep. He would have hated all of the action PJ added just as much as the son does. Pretty sure Tolkien would just hate movies in general and consider them a waste of time and imagination.
>>
>>67897073
Really mate, '2deep4u'?

You're honestly telling me that the films would be improved by an info dump that won't pay off until a split second of the Pelenor battle where a sword dissolves...?

That's somehow an improvement...?

You're a deluded fanboy.
>>
>>67897223
>Wanted to create an enduring mythology
>Hated anything based off it
What should we expect from Mr.NoAllegoryAllowed...
>>
>>67897240

And there we have it.

We were talking about Tom Bombadil being relevant to the film.

Hes not, for the reasons you mentioned. BUT, he is very relevant to the books, thanks to the medium allowing for a detailed explanation of each minor detail.

It is relevant in the books.

Thats what the entire thread is about.
>>
>>67897223
>he describes the way Sauron breeds horses for 20 pages but spends 3 on the Battle of Helm's Deep.
Why lie?
>>
>>67895568
He battled 1 balrog and died in the process and he did not have a beard you numbskull, that was Cirdan the shipwright
>>
>>67897396
"Did the film do the books justice?"

You agree with me that the adaptation didn't need him. Why are we arguing?

>Tom was needed in the books!!!
Show me where I said anything about him being needed in the books, pro or anti.
>>
>>67897536

Then we indeed agree.
>>
>>67897396
To add to this>>67897536
Btw, I'm not >>67895879
>>
>>67896586
I want to be in pretty elf princess outfits
>>
>>67897614
You have to be as pretty as liv tyler
>>
File: fangorn_merrypippin.jpg (117 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
fangorn_merrypippin.jpg
117 KB, 900x601
>>67896374
Well without Merry and Pippin Aragorn would have never went to Fangorn, meet Gandalf and then cure Théoden and fight for him and Rohan.
Thanks to them the Ents took part against Isengard and Saruman.
It was Merry who weakened the Witch King so that muh strong womyn eowyn could defeat him.
Pippin was the one to call for Rohan's Help and he saved poor Faramir's ass from the Pyre.

Their involvement in the War of the Ring was actually a big part as small as they were.
>>
>>67895501
>no grey company and aragorns 20 good men
>replaced by an army of tree loving faggoters
>the whole southern gondor army liberated from pelagrir replaced by ghostly REEEEEEEEEEarmy
>no Imlahir and swan knights
>>
>>67897668
Maybe if I could do makeup better...
>>
>>67897739
>Imlahir and swan knights
When I was a kid and first got that far into the book, it confused me how they dismissed Sauron as being just "a servant of the Enemy".
Oh the innocence of youth.
>>
File: gunpepe.jpg (24 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
gunpepe.jpg
24 KB, 300x250
>Legolas was made into a horrible faggot portrayed a horrible actor simply so that teenage grills had something fawn over

RREEEEEEE!!!! WHY MOST WOMEN ALWAYS SPOIL EVERYTHING!!!!
>>
>>67896114
That would have to be a series no less than 40 episodes

AMC plz
>>
>>67896821
>things must be fun to be good

DIE YOU FUCKING NU-MALE MARVEL DRONES, YOU ARE JUST AS BAD WOMEN ARE!
>>
>>67897800
I thought Orlando was fine desu, is he even relevant anymore though? I remember all the girls swooning over him in middle school forgot about him once he was done with pirates and LOTR
>>
>>67895501
honestly they needed more women characters.

I didn't even mind the female elf in the hobbit. Out of all the changes she was the least worst. The CGI and cartoony gimmicks were what made the movie bad
>>
>>67898127
The Lord of the Rings made him a star
The Hobbit has destroyed his career

Poetic
>>
>>67898211
>best archer in middle earth shoots arrows mid flight because stronk
>forced, almost instant love trangle
>awful script for a decent actor
>nearly destroyed Thranduil's character at the end
>>
>>67896943
If all he cared about was money, he would give the rights to Silmarillion and get a JK Rowling type deal where he gets to decide some stuff and gets a huge cut of revenue and not profits
>>
>>67897800
Legolas was the least relevant and least important fellowship member to begin with. Jackson had to give him something to do
>>
>>67896577
yeah arwen was the one who pushed to not be fighting in helms deep though according to the appendices. The rest of the elves were going to be there anyway
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.