[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHAT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: 10cl_poster[1].jpg (119 KB, 1048x1552) Image search: [Google]
10cl_poster[1].jpg
119 KB, 1048x1552
WHAT
>>
>>67860268
Best comedy of the year so far. The only thing missing was the benny hill theme.
>>
>>67860268
Loved this movie. Actually liked the Shyamalan at the end.
>>
Movie should have had her come out earlier with that dude after she thinks is a half way made farce to keep her hostage to that nice open field and some of those small clover field tick things show up with some more regular clover monsters walking in the distance. Fuck aliens[/spoilers]
>>
>>67860268
Biggest example of jumping the shark in recent memory, for me at least.
>>
File: Mary Elizabeth Winstead 4.jpg (464 KB, 1960x3008) Image search: [Google]
Mary Elizabeth Winstead 4.jpg
464 KB, 1960x3008
Realistically speaking, what would you do if you were locked in a bunker with her after the apocalypse? No lewd answers pls
>>
>>67860476
I would snuggle with her
>>
>>67860476
I would get to know her.
>>
>>67860659
>>67860962
I SAID NOTHING LEWD REEEE
>>
>>67860436
That's not jumping the shark. Also I don't get why people were so upset over something that was literally forshadowed multiple times, even in the title
>>
>>67860476
I would be beta friendzoned immediately and do anything I could for her.
>>
>>67861342
MEW is a goddess and deserves our worship
>>
>>67861227
Yeah it was mentioned in throwaway lines throughout the film, and I went in to the movie as a huge fan of the original so it wasn't exactly the content that irked me, but more like how it was handled. I know "jumping the shark" is a term that gets overused a lot here but it's the only way I can describe it when a tight psychological thriller with an emphasis on character interaction then turns full hollywood blockbuster with the protagonist literally getting chased in circles by some of the worst designed aliens I've seen in the past few years, only to then destroy an organic UFO with a hastily put together molotov.

It bummed me out because I was aware of the fact that adding Cloverfield to the title was mostly a marketing gimmick to bring in some more viewers on what was basically an indie movie, but I was hoping that the aspects that it did bring over from the previous title would act as world-building, so that we as the viewers could start to piece together a bigger picture in the same way that made the ARG so popular, rather than a hastily thrown together ending just for the excuse of adding some sci-fi elements so that it could be a "proper" Cloverfield movie.

I like the idea of having an anthology series, but I hope they focus more on bringing some of the ideas over from the original (such as the slusho brand and the ocean drilling that accompanies it) so that we get a sense of a larger world, even if the events from previous movies aren't directly referenced.
>>
>>67861632
You assume the ending was clumsy or hastily constructed. Yes it didn't fit the genre of the movie (suspense/thriller) but it fit the theme and the tempo. The movie continually raises the steaks and the threat. In escaping, aliums was the natural next step to escalate the threat and keep the series worldcrafting intact. Similarly the threat had to exist to create character development for the girl choosing to fight for others' safety
>>
>>67860268
It was shit and I'm mad I was tricked by it. At the same time, BvS was better than it yet somehow it ended up at 29% compared to 10CL's 90% (last I checked, at least).

BvS 7/10, 10CL 5.5/10
>>
>>67862353
I get that by having Michelle drive off to help Houston (I think that was the city, I can't quite recall), it gave an ending to her character arc, and I'm in no position to start saying how the movie should have changed to fit that better, but I just feel that the inclusion of a full-frontal alien chase scene was not the best way to tie the movie into the Cloverfield universe, I don't think I'm alone in wishing that they'd have toned down the ending in exchange for some dialogue about some of the bigger players in the original story, rather than just a Slusho sign here, and a named envelope there.

I know in my original comment it came across as though I was just shooting the entire movie down because I found the ending to be dumb, but honestly I really enjoyed it, and the fact that they marketed it as a Cloverfield movie definitely worked because I don't think it would've been a film that I'd have chosen to watch had the name not been attached.
>>
>>67862809
I found the movie to be exceptional solely due to its emotional impact. The pacing of the film was amazing. Everytime you found some level of comfort the movie tears the comfort away. The alien assault was the last theft of comfort for the audience. I left the theatre feeling uncomfortable for the next hour. And it wouldn't have worked as much with a subdued ending because, like I mentioned, the film continues a path of escalation. A subdued ending wouldn't continue the escalation pattern
>>
The aliens were necessary to make it a "Cloverfield" film, but this film didn't need to a Cloverfield film

Was perfectly fine on its own with the bunker plot
>>
I thought it was really refreshing to have a competent non Mary Sue protagonist in a film. The fact that it was a woman that didn't do or say any SJW shit was icing on the cake.
>>
>>67863024
So you're saying that you enjoyed the movie so much because it subverts your expectations - in both how it suddenly explodes in its calm moments, as well as in its change of content and genre?
I suppose with that mindset I can understand why some people would enjoy the film, ending and all, but I still think for me personally it went a little too gonzo in the last ten minutes.
Don't get me wrong, like I said before I really loved the character interaction and the sheer tension in the dialogue. Maybe I was just hoping for something different in the last act.
>>
>>67863458
It's not necessarily about expectations. It's about never giving the audiance time to get an emotional footing. Many suspense movies try to keep you on the edge the whole time. 10CL attempts to get you comfortable before the next twist and it's done way better than most movies
>>
>>67864073
Yeah the movie definitely kept yanking the carpet from underneath you and I loved it, I think I would've been happier if they just changed the ending to something less in-your-face. Perhaps somehow combining the shot of the UFO with the original ending that people keep posting would've made for a happy medium in which they still manage to keep the sci-fi twist.
>>
>>67862809
I saw the slusho sign but what about the envelope? Was that the shot where a letter is shown in a CU upside? I missed it, it went so fast.
>>
>>67863432
I was researching this film, and one of the results on google was calling this a feminist win. I've seen it so that's bullshit, but it's amusing and admittedly annoying to see them be so deluded, but I guess it was also somewhat expected as well.
>>
>>67864544
Yeah IIRC it had someone's name on it that had been briefly mentioned in the first movie, probably something to do with either the drilling or the satellites.
>>
>>67864714
Wasn't it a letter that said that Howard worked for the same company that caused the monster to appear in the first Cloverfield?
>>
Does anyone else think that the typical bomb shelter would be further underground? It feels like there weren't that many steps to the surface.
>>
Brilliant up until she leaves the bunker.

My endings would have been:

Cut to black when the car drops

Or

As she leaves the bunker, MEW takes a few tentative breathes. Theres a look of shock or confusion in her eyes, as if shes focusing on something or realising its fine - maybe the camera helps this. Then it cuts to black without resolving it
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 750x627) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 750x627
>>67864544
Yep. Howard worked for a company called Bold Futura, owned by the Slusho company, or more accurately the company that owns both of them. Called Tagruato. He saw something on the satellites, went full Doomsday prepper, and alienated his family.

My personal theory is that Tagruato has fucked up the world in multiple timelines, and the third movie is gonna show how they're related. Mark my words, Tagruato is the key to all this.
>>
>>67864814
>>67864714
Damn I knew something was there.
See it's things like these that makes me wonder how it can't be set in the same universe as clover1. Listening to a podcast with the director it apparently doesn't even take place in 2008 either.
They talk about seeing a red light which I assumed was the carpet bombing or nuking NY to before heading into the bunker. Seems odd to deliberately NOT have 10Clov in the same universe when all it needs is a nudge here and there in the right place to expand on the universe.
>>
File: jumpdoggo.jpg (94 KB, 724x960) Image search: [Google]
jumpdoggo.jpg
94 KB, 724x960
>>67864849

there were 56 steps total to the surface, plenty
>>
>>67864985
Yeah I fucked up and missed this whole ARG thing, still have no idea what it really is but I've read up what I could find and I know about Tagruato, saw the video dairies and have you.
>>
>>67865001
Yeah I was going to go for multiple timelines though like in
>>67864985
Question, what is the ARG?
>>
File: 1456715809383.jpg (48 KB, 480x466) Image search: [Google]
1456715809383.jpg
48 KB, 480x466
>have an amazing, realistic action scene that is built up throughout the story
>immediately follow it by turning the main character into a cartoon superhero with comical quips who tosses grenades into space ships

I loved the movie, but I hated the last 15 minutes. I don't hate the alien twist, I hate every aspect of the execution. It felt like the movie had three fucking endings and studio execs couldn't decide which one would appeal to mainstream audiences the most.

>Michelle leaves the shelter
>sees a ship, panics and gets into car, drives off
>frantically listening to the radio, she hears the report about Houston needing help
>she fights her fear and decides to go back
WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN SO FUCKING HARD?
>>
File: jamesdoggo.jpg (2 KB, 111x125) Image search: [Google]
jamesdoggo.jpg
2 KB, 111x125
>>67864985

where do i read all this lore
>>
>>67865475
I'm sure there's a wiki full of it
>>
>>67865209
Alternate Reality Game. Series of websites that are built into the lore, help expand the universe beyond what the movie provides.

Halo 2 did a really successful one with ilovebees

>>67865475
Look up Cloverfield Wiki.

Also funandprettythings.com. Password is "Do you want to talk?" when you click on the picture of the TV.
>>
I don't understand why they had to add the whole molotov cocktail scene. It would have been cool if she escaped the bunker, realized the air wasn't fucked, got in the car and heard the radio message, and then drove to Houston and it showed the giant ship silhouetted by the lightning.

With the ending we got there was no mystery left. We know what the aliens used as weapons (dogs/gas) and we know what they/their ships look like. And we also know that they're weak as fuck. Rest of the movie was fine.
>>
>>67865248
I agree. I love the alien twist, but the film should have either ended as soon as she sees the UFO or had her make the Houston choice without fighting the ship.
>>
>>67865697

what's this kishin thing like? worth watching or should i just read the wiki
>>
>>67865697
That's cool, I'll check it out. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>67862439
You just have shit taste, it's fine. Here's a random capeshit thread I found for you >>67854541
>>
Is there a site that compiles ALL the ARG stuff for the two movies? Are the sites for the original even up anymore? I'd love to go through them all.
>>
>>67866048

i've saw cloverfield in the cinema when it came out and watched 10CL last week

i haven't seen any ARG so i'm looking for something similar

anyone know what the deal was with the satellite falling into the water at the end of cloverfield?
>>
>>67866048
cloverfieldclues blogspot

http://postapocalypticmedia.com/the-10-cloverfield-lane-arg-is-not-your-grandmas-arg/
>>
>>67863090
the cloverfield monster wasn't even an alien, it was just like godzilla where it sleeps in the ocean for ages (well, it was a baby, but that's what it's species do, apparently)
>>
>>67866629
Thanks man. Love these things.
>>
Why is Russia making such weapons? How does Howard know about how advanced the alien tech is?

Japs are seeking the ultimate weapon..a deep sea monster they couldn't contain and an alliance with a hostile race
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.