[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wolf of Wall Street may have been funded by 'dirty'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11
File: the_wolf_of_wall_street.jpg (245 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
the_wolf_of_wall_street.jpg
245 KB, 1296x730
>It has since been alleged that the company managed to raise the money by diverting state funding from the Malaysian government into the film; money that was meant to be spent spurring on local economic development rather than on Hollywood movies.
>According to an investigation by The Wall Street Journal, the money was supposed to go into 1MDB, a state fund set up by the prime minister of Malaysia, Najib Razak, to boost the local economy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-wolf-of-wall-street-may-have-been-funded-by-dirty-malaysian-money-a6967266.html

Honestly they should've just made a movie about corruption in Pedowood.
>>
>>67850491
It's amazing how difficult it is to make any kind of movie with a decent budget these days that isn't capeshit.

Even the likes of Spileberg and Scorsese have to work very hard to get a project greenlit.
>>
>1MDB
>IMDB
>>
>>67850491
That only makes the movie more authentic.

>>67850760
http://flavorwire.com/492985/how-the-death-of-mid-budget-cinema-left-a-generation-of-iconic-filmmakers-mia
>>
>For example, before shooting began on The Wolf of Wall Street, Red Granite reportedly put on an extravagant birthday party for DiCaprio which saw the actor gifted Marlon Brando’s best actor Oscar for On the Waterfront, estimated to have cost $600,000.
>According to the Journal, on 31 December 2012, the company put on a New Year’s eve festival, which saw Aziz and Low joined by DiCaprio, Jonah Hill and Jamie Foxx, all of whom flew from Australia to Las Vegas to celebrate.
>The report also details how, six months later, DiCaprio, Low and Aziz attended the Brazilian world cup, spending their time on a 482-foot yacht owned by Sheikh Mansour, deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates.

Isn't this the same cuck who says he doesn't do movies for money but for '''artistic value'''
>>
>>67850491
>implying anything about Malaysia is clean.

The only thing dirtier than their money is their smelly vagina women
>>
>>67850818
He's an actor, not a director. Actors are the biggest and most overvalued plebs among filmmakers.
>>
>>67850491
>oh no! we made an extremely watchable movie instead of spending the money on dirty malaysian elections.
boo hoo
>>
>>67850842
Malaysia is one of the nicer places in SEA.
>>
Mememovie.
>>
File: 1444746939472.jpg (94 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
1444746939472.jpg
94 KB, 650x488
>movie is literally about the downsides of sketchy financial schemes
>they literally used sketchy financial schemes to pay for the film
BRAVO HOLLYWOOD
>>
>>67850937
Malaysian women have the smelliest vaginas in all of Asia and that is up against some very gut churning competition
>>
>>67850804
>“Something happened that nobody can make a movie between $500,000 and $80 million. That can’t be possible.”

This is just sad. Capeshit is cancer. When fanboys say "if you don't like it, don't watch it", they have no concept of the adverse effects capeshit is having on the industry. The gap between the obscenely funded tent pole movies and the independent crowd is getting bigger year on year. Potentially great movies are never getting a chance.
>>
>>67851011
Oh please, you sound like some commie collegetwat who thinks that the minimum wage should be raised and the rich should be taxed.
>>
>>67851037
Great argument, manchild.
>>
>>67851011
>Capeshit is cancer.
It happened before capeshit. But money is the only thing they care about, not because they can't make cheaper movies. It's just that they make more money
>>
>>67851071
Maybe when you grow up a little, you'll realize that the world doesn't owe you handouts, tubbo.
>>
>>67851097
>>67851037
Is France communist by your standards ?
>>
File: image.jpg (402 KB, 1280x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
402 KB, 1280x1600
>>67851097
What are you even talking about? Disliking capeshit makes you a communist? Disliking the capeshit monopoly over the American film industry is a bad thing?

Apologies manchild if I'm not excited by pic related.
>>
>>67850818
DiCaprio is pocketing at least $10mil for each movie he's done since Titanic.
>>
>>67851074
It's all James Cameron's fault. He's a blight upon film.
>>
>>67851174
You're the one whining that the big, rich projects just keep getting bigger and richer while your poor starving art nobody wants to see deserves to share that money.
>>
>>67851595
Well, film is first and foremost art. The fact that you're defending films that are made solely for the purpose of maximizing profit is baffling.
>>
>>67851595
>poor starving art nobody wants to see

We're talking about the middle ground between independent films and the capeshit. The space where established directors used to be able to make movies. That space is disappearing.
>>
>>67851486
But it's Spieljew's fault for the Summer blockbuster.
>>
>>67851657
>>67851174
don't like it? don't watch hollywood shit, as you call it. There are shit loads of indie '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''art''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' films out every fucking year. Go watch them.

If your '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''art''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' films got the budget that Hollywood shit does, you wouldn't like it then.

No wonder people keep saying /v/ is leaking into /tv/.
>>
>>67851693
Jaws and Jurassic Park are good though. All Cameron's post-80s films have been disappointingly mediocre.
>>
>>67851731
>No wonder people keep saying /v/ is leaking into /tv/.
/v/ is pretty much everyone on this board that calls anything other than a blockbuster "pretentious" or "artsy". In fact, it's literally the last demographic I would ever think to have any remote interest in arthouse.
>>
>>67851011
Those mid range productions are moving to TV/cable and Netflix/Amazon/Hulu
>>
>>67851731
>Implying films aren't art
So what you're saying is that you aren't actually on /tv/ to discuss the art of film, you're here to take part in juvenile comic book arguments and shitpost about Zack Snyder?
>>
>>67851873
Couldn't you tell from his usage of the unnecessarily large number of apostrophes meme?
>>
>>67851873
>/tv/ to discuss the art of film

This has never happened though.
>>
Do Malaysian girls really have smelly pussies? :(
>>
>>67851873
Fuck off, that's not what I said at all. If you want to discuss 'art' or 'films' then start a new thread. Don't come in here and do

>WOE IS ME!!!!!! WHY HAS THE DEATH OF CINEMA HAPPENED NOW! LONG GONE ARE THE GLORIOUS ARTISTIC POWERHOUSES! LE BORN IN LE WRONG GENERATION!

You're complaining a fucking capitalistic business is a fucking business rather than some meme shit. Your stuff is being produced, it's just not being produced by HOLLYWOOD. There are more indie 'art' films than ever before.
>>
>>67852051
It actually does from time to time. Just try deviating from the capeshit threads for once.
>>
>>67852071
They smell like turnips covered in playdoh.
>>
>>67851731
>No wonder people keep saying /v/ is leaking into /tv/.

/v/ likes art house? /v/ dislikes capeshit? That's a staggering train of thought.

You've really won this argument with your use of apostrophes. Now you can go back to BvS threads with a sense of satisfaction.

It's amazing how threatened fanboy manchildren are by anything that doesn't appeal to their capeshit sensibilities.
>>
>>67852123
Can you refrain from using the word meme or some kind of greentext trivialisation for one fucking post?
>>
File: 1437177209109.jpg (576 KB, 2191x3000) Image search: [Google]
1437177209109.jpg
576 KB, 2191x3000
>>67850818
>>Isn't this the same cuck who says he doesn't do movies for money but for '''artistic value'''
and for spreading awareness about climate change
>>
>>67852148
You misunderstand. /v/ is contrarian to the extreme. Same shit here. Superhero films are making mad bank and many of them are well received.

So, the /v/ermin leak and start going "OH NOES WHY AREN'T MY PERFECT ART MADE :( DEFF OF DA CINEMA :("
>>
>>67852071
Best asian pussy is Vietnamese pussy.
>>
>>67851731
oh wow
there's some anger in this blatant overuse of quotation marks
>>
>>67852173
I never used the word meme, attack my argument, not the way it's presented. You want me to write a 2000 word fucking comment just so you can go

LOL tl;dr?!?!/11oenddDDDD
>>
>>67852187
>Literally making shit up
/v/ makes up a large portion of people discussing capeshit on this board.
>>
>>67852123
>There are more indie 'art' films than ever before.

Once again retard, it's not about indie movies. It's about mid-budget movies - which are slowly dying - sandwiched between indie and capeshit.
>>
>>67852200
>quotation marks

This is good bait.
>>
>>67852211
>I never used the word meme
You literally did, though. Read your post again.
>>
>>67851037

This post reeks of new money. Oh dear.
>>
>>67852187
>So, the /v/ermin leak and start going "OH NOES WHY AREN'T MY PERFECT ART MADE :( DEFF OF DA CINEMA :("

That is not the case. At all. When people refer to /v/'s affect on /tv/, they're talking about the endless capeshit and "who would you cast in this game adaptation" threads.
>>
>>67852219
I do not doubt. /v/ has lots of people discussing the latest epic re-release of Dark Souls 3 or whatever shit that's out. Doesn't stop people from doing either side.

>>67852222
Right, so, what example would you give of for "mid-budget". Because outside of shit like capeshit or "Generic Action Young Adult" crap, there is plenty of what I'd consider 'mid-budget'. I wouldn't consider Lady in the Van to be a blockbuster or Indie.
>>
>>67852187
>Trying to shift the blame for capeshit away from /v/
Nice move, /v/edditor.
>>
>>67852231
"Smelly Malaysian cockhole"
>>
nigger
>>
>>67852245
Oh that post, I thought you meant before that.

>>67852287
But that's my point, /v/ is unable to not be contrarian. Look at BvS "It's good, you just don't get it" one min and "DCucks BTFO" the next. Look at TWD "Fucking cliffhanger! REEE" and "You guys don't get how to make TV".

Watch it. As soon as /tv/ leans to one side to much, somebody will push the other way.
>>
>>67852350
I used apostrophe, not quotation marks. Good bait thou. 6/10 got me to respond.
>>
>>67852332
Blame /v/ all you fucking want, not skin off my nose. But, if you actually read the fucking reply chain, I'm blaming /v/ for the fucking contrarian threads popping up on /tv/. So why the fuck would I try to deflect when I want people to realise what /v/ is doing?

Oh wait.. you probably are from /v/. Good work.
>>
>>67852375
>>67852422
What piece of information led you to believe that /v/ is the sole cause of contrarianism?
>Look at BvS "It's good, you just don't get it" one min and "DCucks BTFO" the next.
Both sides of that argument are /v/ kiddies and manchilds with loyalty to one company or the other. It has nothing to do with being contrarian, they're just fucking children that can't handle when someone shits on their favourite comic book movie.
>>
File: image.png (841 KB, 582x795) Image search: [Google]
image.png
841 KB, 582x795
>>67852269
Pic related is me btw.
>>
>>67852466
Because those who had no particular side, do it to falseflag.

Some people find it fun to play both sides. /v/ is the most likely cause of this as it:

1. 2nd most popular board
2. 2nd fastest board
3. Has lots of crossboarders
4. /v/ hates /tv/ for forcing shit loads of memes there

If you think it's beyond the realms of possibility that /v/ plays both sides when shit isn't happening in /v/, then, well, that's what you get for living in Egypt.
>>
What is this thread about, at this point?
>>
>>67852576
Shut up /v/
>>
>>67852576
We've gone too far.
>>
File: will-ferrell-zoolander.jpg (20 KB, 520x276) Image search: [Google]
will-ferrell-zoolander.jpg
20 KB, 520x276
Do it Derek

KILL THE PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA

How has no one made this joke yet?
>>
>>67850760
Maybe it would be easier if they didn't have to blow their budget on this shit >>67850818
>>
>>67852325
>Right, so, what example would you give of for "mid-budget". Because outside of shit like capeshit or "Generic Action Young Adult" crap, there is plenty of what I'd consider 'mid-budget'. I wouldn't consider Lady in the Van to be a blockbuster or Indie.

Read the article at the start of this reply chain here >>67850804 so you can gather a little understanding of what you're discussing.

Something like Lady in the Van would have been made for barely $5 million.

It is very hard, and is harder than it's ever been, to make a movie for $70 million. No studios will take a chance, even with established directors and actors. Esteemed directors like Scorsese have to scrounge around for money to make their movies. When guys like him are struggling, then it's near impossible for young film makers to push past the $5mil-$10mil ceiling and get the funding and resources to make the best movie they can. Established IPs are a bigger priority for studios now than they've ever been.

The widening gap between tent pole and independent is not a good thing.
>>
File: death-wish-poster1.jpg (446 KB, 1069x1600) Image search: [Google]
death-wish-poster1.jpg
446 KB, 1069x1600
>>67850804
>http://flavorwire.com/492985/how-the-death-of-mid-budget-cinema-left-a-generation-of-iconic-filmmakers-mia

One of best articles I have seen here in ages.

>>67851037

The problem with just mega budget blockbusters being done is the fact that it will kill innovation and art. It's going to end up in situation where only mediocre non-offensive capeshit gets done. Minimum risk. Sooner or later there won't be new directors or other professionals make new movies. Death of medium budget movies means that there is no way to progress from minimal budget independent films to big league.

That has already stagnated the film industry, on long run it may kill it entirely. Films aren't only competing with other films, now they have far more competition other media.

>>67851595
>You're the one whining that the big, rich projects just keep getting bigger and richer while your poor starving art nobody wants to see deserves to share that money.

Indies are doing fine as low budget films so far have a place in market. One that is dying is medium budget movies. Budget from few million to tens of millions. That includes shit like crime dramas, most war movies and so on with well established makers and cast.

Anything that bears any risk for studios. Movies like Terminator, Alien, Goodfellas and so on. Not exactly high art, but thought provoking entertainment with some resemblance to art.

>>67851839

Add Kickstarter to mix, digital filming equipment, effects and so on becoming becoming cheaper. Cheaper productions are getting bit better when it comes to technical quality.
>>
>>67852559
No mate it's not a conspiracy. /v/ posters come here in droves to discuss capeshit and video game adaptations and Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. They're not false flagging. It's not a Machiavellian plot. They are the plebs that enjoy this shit and discuss it endlessly.
>>
>>67852576
If you say it is, then I guess it is
>>
File: 1396647099634.jpg (147 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1396647099634.jpg
147 KB, 600x600
>Malaysia

You mean the country full of Muslims?
>>
>le Iconic filmmakers can't get billion dollar budget

Maybe they should stop being entitled twats.
>>
>>67850804
>>67851011
>>67852658
Reminder that Beasts of No Nation had a 6m budget along with The Neon Demon
>Refn, an acclaimed filmmaker with one misstep under his belt compared to his numerous acclaimed films, can only get 6m in funding for a film

No wonder so many young directors are lured in by capeshit
>>
>>67852931
Life is fine there assuming you're not a non-religious Malay
>>
>>67851002
Hollywood doesn't 'get' irony
See: a film about the exposure of a paedophile ring winning best film
>>
>>67853095
>can only get

You act as if you know for a fact that he asked for more. Maybe that's all he needed.

You're purely looking at this whole situation from a "muh poor disenfranchised auteurs" point of view.
>>
>>67852624

yes, we've heard this joke a billion times, but looking at the current situation with our shit government some of use wouldn't mind if it actually happens.
>>
>>67853017
Iconic film makers can't get a $50 million budget.
>>
>>67851002
Holy shit, is his scalp shooped? No wonder he's a feminist.
>>
>>67853180
I don't think he asked for more
I assume the studio told him "this is how much we'll fund your film for, take it or leave it"

He's not really in a position to ask for more in the first place
>>
>>67851743
Top pleb.
>>
>>67853136
Dont they have some sort of Morality police who stop people from sleeping with eachother?
>>
>>67853241
Looks real 2 me
>>
>>67853305

that shit only applies to the muslims (hopefully it stays this way), even then, I don't know how often they actually enforce it but you do hear about some cases from time to time
>>
>>67853227
Because their movies are shit.

War horse was shit. (66m)
Bridge of Spies was shit. (40m)

Wolf of wall Street was alright but was a huge waste of money using DiCaprio and then there's this shit >>67850818

Those "Iconic filmmakers" are just entitled cunts that lost their touch and need to let go. Ridley Scott and George Miller can get big budgets because their films are worth it.
>>
>>67850804
>http://flavorwire.com/492985/how-the-death-of-mid-budget-cinema-left-a-generation-of-iconic-filmmakers-mia
Shit... remind me why I thought becoming an indie filmmaker would be a good idea?
>>
>>67853424
Both those films are critically acclaimed. Your garbage opinions are irrelevant.
>"iconic filmmakers"
Go the fuck back to /v//reddit letter media youtube comments.
>>
I always found all the shady financial shit that Hollywood gets up to is always interesting.

Anybody know of any good stories to read about in regard of that stuff?
>>
>>67853576
Because you actually love what you do?

If you don't go ahead and quit.
>>
>>67853706
I forgot what it's called but one of the HP movies made billions worldwide but didn't make a profit.
>>
>>67853697
>muh acclaim

This is a fucking business. Spielberg is no longer the draw that he used to be and his shrinking budgets reflect that.
>>
>>67853424
>Ridley Scott and George Miller can get big budgets because their films are worth it.

They can get big budgets because they're independently wealthy. Ridley is the only director that can make a historical epic whenever he wants because he works under his own production company.
>>
>>67850818
>you will never hang with Aziz, Dicaprio and Foxx
Feels...feels pretty bad, man.
>>
>>67853714
Oh yeah... that...
Why can't I love something less financially insecure? Like building? People always need builders
who am I kidding, if I can't make something amazing for less than $5m then I don't deserve funding anyway
>>
>>67853706
You can search "Hollywood accounting" and get a bunch of articles and stories. Production companies artificially inflate expenses to avoid paying certain taxes and royalties. Weinstein and New Line apparently screwed the Tolkien estate out of a lot of money they were due with The Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>67853424
>Ridley Scott and George Miller can get big budgets because their films are worth it.

Ridley Scott or George Miller aren't doing medium budget movies anymore. Relatively low risk blockbusters. Mad Max was still just another reboot of established franchise.

The problem with current day Hollywood is death of everything between indies and blockbusters. George Millers next project is producing huge budget capeshit.

Couple decades they made a lot more of 10-50 million dollar movies. Even if some of 'em failed, others covered the losses. Now the average Hollywood blockbuster is 100+ million dollar budget with another 100 million spent on promotion.

>Those "Iconic filmmakers" are just entitled cunts that lost their touch and need to let go.

The problem with death of midfield has nasty side effect of creating situation where there won't be new "iconic filmmakers" as they can't progress from indies. We end up with hacks like Jar Jar Abrams and same movie all over again this time with different content license.

>>67853576
>Shit... remind me why I thought becoming an indie filmmaker would be a good idea?

Becoming professional in any artistic field is massive risk.
>>
>>67853993
I'll give you my extremely low budget idea anon:

>4 young American soldiers endure life in a Trench during ww1

Just need 4 actors, 3 extras (German soldiers), body horror SFX (makeup & pig parts), and a trench (~5000 to build) near some woods.

Also a fog machine or a place with lots of it. I came up with it after thinking how shitty it must be to be to guard the Oblivion gate in Kvatch.
>>
>>67853823
When Spielberg talks about the death of the mid-budget movie, which he's done extensively, he's talking on behalf of other directors. The guys that are 20-30 years younger than him. He recognises that there's no chance a 20-something director could make Jaws within America's modern day film industry.
>>
>>67854544
That's not bad
It's my type of film though
I focus more on imagery and music - like a long music video - and that sounds like a film that would rely on strong characterisation and dialogue

Although, I do need to break out of my comfort zone... I might steal this idea one day
>>
File: 1442734419289.jpg (163 KB, 598x634) Image search: [Google]
1442734419289.jpg
163 KB, 598x634
>>67850804
>tfw want to become a filmmaker, but never want to do blockbusters with no substance
>tfw I can't see myself ever even wanting a huge budget, just a moderate one to hire competent actors and to make it look good
>even this is impossible

I really hope the capeshit/blockbustershit implosion happens while I'm still young so I can hope to get my foot in the door.
>>
>>67854936
Boy that's a lot of feels. Maybe you should see a therapist!! :D
>>
>>67854936
Spielberg and Lucas predict that the implosion will happen sooner rather than later.

But the exponential growth of the Far East market might have pushed things back - they're increasingly important in selling capeshit.
>>
>>67851743
T2 is 90s.
>>
>>67854544
That sucks ass. You should make a WWII movie about the Pacific then maybe Chinks will like it.

I should be a film exec
>>
>>67851486
Cameron is still an independent film maker.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.