[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people keep saying it didn't make money Assuming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: mwajanrupyhqqhvf8k9i.jpg (84 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
mwajanrupyhqqhvf8k9i.jpg
84 KB, 800x540
Why do people keep saying it didn't make money
Assuming marketing budget of 250M it made profit of almost 200M
Surely that means it's a financial success?
>>
I think most people are saying it was bad
No one's arguing it made shiploads of money
>>
>>67847178
I've seen people claiming it needs 800Mil to make profit but even if they did spend 250M on marketing and another 250M on film itself doesn't that mean anything above 500m is a profit?
>>
Nope cause studios only get 50% of ticket sales and even less in forgien markets.
>>
>>67847220
Bitches be bitching, yo
Anything with Superman and Batman will bring in a crowd
I don't care how good or bad it is, I guarantee it will break a billion in US alone
>>
>>67847228
Literally false
>>
>>67847282
Except it isn't
>>
Their argument is based on this two facts:

1.- Not all money a movie gross are profits, the distributors and theaters take a cut
2.- The marketing costs are about an extra 150M

This is not to say they are not internet autist that don't know shit about what they are talking about, of course.

1.- WB and their investors own shares in the distributors they use and also in most of the relevant cinema chains, so they are mostly paying themselves
2.- They are not taking into account the money they made even before the movie was on the theaters just with product placement, merchandising and reactivation of the franchise, to say nothing about tv and bluray rights.

This people can't understand how the studios keep on paying for Adam Sandler flicks when they all bomb, that's because they are long ads and they pay all the production costs to themselves. This movie is already in the green and from now on everything they make will be profits.
>>
File: 1430445295146.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1430445295146.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
>>67847282

Dude please then explain to me how movie theaters function, if all the money from tickets goes to hollywood?
you dumb fuck
>>
>>67847228
This guy is right

This article explains it better but pretty much it's technically only made around 200-230m right now.

http://warmovies.about.com/od/Box-Office-for-Action-and-War-Movies/fl/Calculating-Box-Office-Film-Budgets-and-Review-Consensus.htm
>>
>>67847282
>I don't know what I'm talking about
>>
>>67847228
This exactly. It's fucked.
>>
>>67847220
Do you think they get 100% of money on each tickets?
>>
>>67847166
>Why do people keep saying it didn't make money
Who said that? How do you manage to make strawman arguments all day?
>>
>>67847166
Apparently the rule of thumb is that big movies need to make twice their budget just to break even. There's stuff like not all revenue going back to the studio and marketing budgets which aren't included in the main budget.

Additionally, some movie have very high expectations, WB wants this to launch a multi-billion dollar franchise, so it needs to do very good money.
>>
>>67847336
Fucking this
>>
>>67847292
>>67847334
>>67847351
Cucks
>>
>>67847220
WB had their goal post set to 800 to 1.000.

And while it won't be a financial flop, it will stay behind their expectations.
>>
>>67848859

Pretty much this
It would need at least 1.5 billion to say it was a successful movie, 800mill to 1bill would be getting even with some spare change.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.