[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best war series that isn't Band of Brothers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: Generation Kill.png (375 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Generation Kill.png
375 KB, 1920x1080
Is this the best war series that isn't Band of Brothers?
>>
>>67801573
No the Pacific is better simply because it's based on an actual war
>>
>>67801573
When you bring up Generation Kill you shouldn't be so specific. Call it "a series featuring soldiers."
>>
>>67801573
comparing GK to other war series is like comparing Jarhead to movies like Saving Private Ryan.

GK is good, but the reality is there's hardly any 'war' involved.
>>
>>67801638
>>67801738
>>67801819

>doesn't understand the fucked up reality of Operation Iraqi Freedom

WAR IS SHOOOOTING
THERE MUST BE SHOOOOOOTING
>>
>>67801899
I'm an OIF veteran fucktard it's a shit war that makes for a shit setting MASH is more exciting
>>
File: Sharpe.jpg (738 KB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
Sharpe.jpg
738 KB, 1000x1426
not the best but still damn good and probably the best you'll find about the Napoleonic Wars
>>
>>67801899
>the first two weeks of the Iraq invasion is just like the last year and a half of WW2
>they're totally comparable!
>>
>>67801819
Wrong, GK accurately portrays modern warfare. Sorry it didn't acquiesce to your Call of Duty sensibilities, but it's reality.
>>
M*A*S*H.
>>
It's better than Band of Brothers too.
>>
>>67801573

Both Generation Kill and Pacific are better than Band of Brothers.

>>67801819
>GK is good, but the reality is there's hardly any 'war' involved.

War is 98% boredom, 1% pure horror and 1% something completely different for most soldiers (before 'muhreens start to whine about it... term soldier also includes fucking airmen and sailors... even fucking officers).
>>
>>67802131
Literally it's called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare you fucking imbecile.
>>
>>67803233
>War is 98% boredom,

Not during WW fucking 2...
>>
>>67803460
>Not during WW fucking 2...

During WWII it was same as in every other war.... WWII movies on other hand tend to be heroic fiction.

That is just role they play on collective consciousness. WWI movies are all about horrible mechanical waste of life in industrial scale. Vietnam movies are all about patrol gone wrong, war crimes, drugs and shit. Korea... what war and what movies?
>>
>>67803556
>WW2 was 98% boredom
shut the fuck up
>>
>>67803661
me fucking your mum was 98% boredom
>>
>>67803661

Are you implying that it was mostly an epic battle scene for every soldier. Not digging foxholes, marching and shit.

War memoirs of individual soldiers tend to focus a lot on battles. Where they were involved for days or few weeks. War lasted for fucking 6 years. They spent most of their time doing something other than fighting, mostly doing seemingly irrelevant shit. Digging foxholes or trenches, marching, guard duty or just sitting in truck, train or ship that is part of a fucking logistics fuck up. Every day shit for soldier.

Those few hours, days or weeks they actually spend on a battle surely are more transformative experience... but that ain't most of time they spent on the fucking war.
>>
Unsere Mütter Unsere Väter
>>
Iraq veterns are real heroes because they actually volunteered unlike pussy ww2 and Vietnam shits
>>
File: FACEBOOK_DENIS_TUKHMANOV_jgfla.jpg (80 KB, 500x866) Image search: [Google]
FACEBOOK_DENIS_TUKHMANOV_jgfla.jpg
80 KB, 500x866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uXLzZyucI
>>
>>67804201
Here come the memes.
>>
>>67806500
real af
>>
>>67804606
>because they actually volunteered

Escaping poverty isn't exactly volunteering especially not with army recruits stalking schools in poor districts. My captain said something that stuck with me a long time.

He said soldiers with immigration background made the best soldiers because they have a need to prove that they were worth something. I'm still not sure if it was cold calculating or admiration on his behalf.
>>
File: 635520215656500283-sixta (1).jpg (38 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
635520215656500283-sixta (1).jpg
38 KB, 534x401
bump
>>
File: 1308997643319.png (18 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1308997643319.png
18 KB, 429x410
>>67801573
haven't seen it yet, but you might enjoy over there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRn_x-GIpec
>>
File: SoS.jpg (23 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
SoS.jpg
23 KB, 226x346
>>67804116
Read pic related. You're half right, they did a lot of that stuff, but attrition and contact with the enemy was a constant thing. Battles in both World Wars could go on for literal months.
>>
>>67801573
I found myself being bored at times while watching it. It wasn't bad, I still think it's a good mini-series, but it was kinda underwhelming compared to what I expected. Maybe that's because I'm not American and can't really fully relate to the plot.
>>
File: Blue_Max.jpg (117 KB, 800x857) Image search: [Google]
Blue_Max.jpg
117 KB, 800x857
>>67808605
>Read pic related. You're half right, they did a lot of that stuff, but attrition and contact with the enemy was a constant thing. Battles in both World Wars could go on for literal months.

Ernst Jünger... wasn't a normal soldier. In WWI they weren't constantly running in no mans land.
>>
>>67801573
best parts of BoB > best parts of GK
average parts of GK > average parts of BoB
>>
>>67801573
Yes, it really portrayed how fucking stupid or crazy Marines (especially force recon) are. They act like its just a coincidence that they are the tip of the spear (a place that is strategically meant to draw the enemies forces to it, so when they do the rest of their guys can swarm around the now flanked enemy and destroy them, usually resulting in the proud tip of the spear Marines being decimated) AND they are given the shittiest equipment. Throughout the show all these fucking lugheads, some legit mentally disabled, cant seem toput two in two together,That they are meant to be targets, as if at the beginning of an invasion the Navy is already short on supplies. Instead of even taking issue with it the jarheads take pride in how their commanders don't give a fuck abt them. Fucking fools. The show would have been better if they were all wiped out.
>>
Probably my favourite HBO show
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.