[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Looking at mad max fury road wiki page >See feminist film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
>Looking at mad max fury road wiki page
>See feminist film
>wat
>it's mentioned multiple times
>google it
>It's paraded around as a feminist success
Did I watch the same movie? Did I watch some amazing chinese bootleg version or something? Let's just go over it a lil. spoilers obviously. why the fuck would you click this if you haven't seen it.

High ranking female soldier decides to free a bunch of rape slaves with two pregnant with rape babies, and is saved from a kamikaze by our main character. Said main character then catches up with them and a fight ensures, where said main character and nox win the fight decisively, them only being saved because main character is persuaded its in his benefit to do so. The gang the female lead made a deal with then goes back on their deal and they are saved by our main character, again, with a heavily pregnant woman dying in the process. Then they get stuck in mud, they get out of the mud thanks to nux, and then the pursuers are killed by our main character alone. Fast forward a bit, they are driving off into the salt plains and are then stopped from certain death by our main character, yet again, and they plan to go back to the citadel. During this whole scene, every woman that isn't a rape slave or our female lead gets killed, and female lead gets severely injured but managed a gotcha on joe. Most the fighting was done by our main character and the woman gang who all dies acting as redshirts. They are then saved again by nux, and our main character then saves female lead yet again, and our movie ends.

Ok.
what exactly in that description makes this a feminist film?
tl;dr
>female accomplishments
>drove a truck
>was saved
>lost a fight
>was saved
>drove a truck
>was saved
>one dies
>drove a truck
>was saved
>was saved
>was saved
>drove a truck
>drove a truck
>was saved
>redshirts die
>was saved
>killed joe
>was saved
>drove a monster truck
>was saved
>was held up as a savior
?????
>>
Feminism is actually a pretty broad spectrum of ideals
>>
>>67799983
Kill yourself turbopleb. It was a feminist film and if you can't comprehend that then you should go back to capeshit. I hate feminist sjw bullshit but I still enjoyed mad max; I just had to filter out the female self-pity rubbish and male blaming that coursed through every scene.
>>
Its a feminist film because it has a strong female character.

Not physically strong, thats not what real feminism is about. By strong female character feminist just mean a female character that is actually well written and more than a trophy for the male protagonist or a background character. And Furiosa is a strong female character. So feminist like it. Its that simple.
>>
>>67800011
Yeah, but am I just missing something or are their ideals really that..low?

I mean this seems exactly like how movies were before the feminism popularity. I saw nothing in this movie that would make me think it was a feminism film.

>>67800126
nigga what

almost every scene beyond the initial stealing the war rig was typical damsel in distress kind of stuff.
>>
>>67800011
Neckbeards don't know that. Hell they probably think it's some new concept that came around in the 2000s.
>>
>>67799983
Your view on feminism is different than those who call mad max feminist.
>>
>>67800187
I wouldn't really consider that feminism though, I'd consider that a well written or fleshed out character.

>>67800257
I guess it is.
>>
File: 1459649786367.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1459649786367.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
>>67800126
>male blaming

Excuse me?
>>
>>67800455
not that anon but cmon dude

girl says to guy: "it's your kind that brought this hell upon us"

The movie quite literally blames men for the world ending up like that.
>>
>>67802367
It is a reasonable accusation. Men have in fact being messing things up and will most certainly end the world.
>>
>>67802367
It seems like she just blamed men like him, they made excuses for that bald kid as to why they shouldn't kill him, saying he was basically just a brainwashed kid and a victim.

Also the movie said rather plainly, written out, that women are not objects. That's the basic idea of feminism.
>>
>>67802421
Sure, if someone causes the end of the world it will most likely be a man.

Because no one's going to let a woman decide actually important things.
>>
>>67800455
All the women are good in the movie. There's not one bad female.

Almost all the men are bad.
Only Max gets portrayed in a good light.
Nox finds redemption after a woman gives her blessings.

It was literally "Smash the Patriarchy: The Movie."
>>
>>67799983
YES this is a feminist movie. You are fucking dumb if you do not realize this.
>>
>>67799983
It's literally women overthrowing a bunch of old white capitalist patriarchs. The fact that Max helped really doesn't matter - it's still what the story is. You even have the stereotypical oil baron and gun producer thrown in there. The female tribe is called the "vuvalini" and you'd have to be dumb to miss that pun. Over and over again you are hit with "who killed the world" over and over again with the implication being very clear - men. Shit, they hired the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues as a consultant.

People tend not to notice because feminism these days is about as subtle as a german panzer division. Mad Max basically took all the stereotypical guy things - cars, violence.... - and used them to tell a feminist story.
>>
>>67802436
Women are not objects unless they want to sell their bodies for money.

Right? Am I feminisming right?
>>
I'm preaching to the choir literally
>>
>>67802421
Well, if anything, it will men who will save the world as well. Most women are too preoccupied with their gender studies and their feminism that the men will have to find solutions to cancer and global warming.

So yea, whatever.
>>
>>67799983
The best part was the end, when the women decided to just dump all the water into the desert because 10 minutes of satisfaction outweigh any and all considerations for the future.
>>
>>67802529

cancer and especially global warming are just two problems that could be easily solved. the solution is already online and has even been posited millions of times:

#killallmen
>>
>>67802588
>Now there will be no more rationing water! Hah! Take that you evil cis-men!!!
>>
>>67802367
>>67802472
Honestly I thought the whole you killed the world thing was just them being stupid, thinking that joe and his gang were responsible for the world ending up like this.

But it being about men instead of joe and his gang is certainly another way you could think about it. One that, regrettably, is probably the right one.

>>67802460
I'm a little dense but it wasn't really that obvious to me.
>>
The bit that got me was where Bane is by a dead tree trying to pull out the car, and Womyn symbolically pushes the entire fucking vehicle, making the dead tree fall over

SYMBOLISM
>>
>>67800196
>Yeah, but am I just missing something or are their ideals really that..low?
They take what they can get. Remember that there is a test that was originally conceived of as a joke that a ton of movies fail in terms of female representation. The very fact that this film plays with female empowerment a bit makes it a feminist success.
>>
>>67802662
>>67802588
Nobody cared about rationing water before or they would have used a more functional way to deliver it to the masses. Also I'm pretty sure they said he was hording both food and water to maintain control.

There's really no need to be bitter about shit like this, you know.
>>
>>67799983
Bane?
>>
>>67802588

where did the film make it explicit that it was all the available water they gave away? it was probably just a fraction and anyway they are clearly pumping up more all the time.
>>
>>67799983
Big surprise, feminists are dumb and disingenuous.
>>
File: image.gif (529 KB, 245x220) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
529 KB, 245x220
>>67800126

>sjw
>feminist
>male blaming
>>
It didn't promote feminism, it promoted equality of the sexes.
The all female tribe grew barren and lifeless without the men. They rejected men, and their Green Place withered and died.
The male dominated tribes were twisted and incredibly violent. Every man who wasn't a malnourished hobo was a soldier who was cancer ridden and obsessed with dying a noble death. No new children born were healthy, and the tribe's days were numbered.
The only way either would survive was through synthesis of the two. The old leaders of each tribe died, and the young joined together to (probably) create a strong society. It wasn't about saying one gender is better than the other, it said that each side needs the other.
>>
>>67802453

I find that a bit odd.

Immortan Joe promoted a woman to be his Imperator.

If anything he treated any one bellow him as objects, Max as a blood bag, war boys as mindless drones/ meat shields, and others as food suppliers/ breeders

I interpret it as a middle finger to tyranny and dictatorship of you ask me.
>>
>>67802803
>implying /tv/ didn't call it feminist and sjw pandering constantly
>implying /tv/ doesn't still do that
>>
>>67802903

Based Anon is based.
>>
>>67802903
Finally. Someone else on this board who got it.
>>
>>67802903

It recognised that both sexes are different and have different strengths, but apart those strengths just lead to death.

It's feminist in the old sense of the word. Definitely not in the tumblr sense, though.
>>
>>67803028

You mean the equality of the sexes through mutual respect, admiration, and comradery rather than the man hating racist and elitist movement it now is?

No shit.
>>
>>67803099
now that the the word "feminism" has been destablised and hijacked, it pays to be particular when you use it
>>
>>67803181

Fucking oath lad.

But I think it's strayed so far from its original definition that it's become anything but.

I'd say it's become "humanism" or "egalitarian"
>>
>>67803555

That being the old ways if feminism

Also check em.
>>
>>67803181
>destablised and hijacked
By whom? The people who were always a big part of the movement? Get fucking real, just because they had some good points 50 years ago doesn't mean this cult wasn't always deeply steeped into this bullshit.
>>
>>67802682
Pretty sure fury road fails that test because the women are almost always talking about men to each other
>>
>>67803825
When they meet those old ladies in the desert they talk about other things (teeth, pregnancy, seeds, other shit)
>>
>>67803787

It turned into something sexist, racist and bitter lad.

A bunch of angry tumblrites ruined it, and now it has become the laughing stock it is.

Christina Hoff Sommers, a second wave feminist explains it perfectly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxjaa1P9kI

And this, fast forward to 14:02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPhq1JiETg
>>
>>67802472
>It's literally women overthrowing a bunch of old white capitalist patriarchs
Fortunately the movie is smart enough to ask "What then?" and ends with Furiosa's ascension being vaguely ominous.
>>
>>67803999

>literally women

It was Max's plan to go back, and Max who helped them, along with Nux.

You might want to rematch the movie, my friend
>>
File: vice2.png (2 MB, 1060x1999) Image search: [Google]
vice2.png
2 MB, 1060x1999
>>67799983
>It's paraded around as a feminist success
>>
File: madmax.png (290 KB, 1032x676) Image search: [Google]
madmax.png
290 KB, 1032x676
>>67799983
>what exactly in that description makes this a feminist film?
>>
>>67805898
>MGTOWer
HERE WE GO
>>
>>67802621
Please elaborate, oh wise one
>>
>>67802903
Thank you for explaining this movie to me.
I still think it was absolute shit, but at least I see what they were trying to do now
>>
>>67799983
Holy shit chill with the fucking greentext will you?
>>
File: 1449494868466.jpg (62 KB, 720x434) Image search: [Google]
1449494868466.jpg
62 KB, 720x434
>>67799983
Mad Max Fury Road is a beautifully constructed film.

Yes, it is most definitely a female empowering movie.

But, the beauty in it is that you wouldn't notice it among all the other shit going down, unless you were looking for it.

>cumslaves escaping patriarchy
>uses an amazonian hero woman to help them
>shes the most resourceful one in the movie
>Max exists only to help himself, but finds the women trying to escape to be a worthy and noble cause to fight for
>Max goes back into living for his day to day at the films conclusion
>Now the patriarchy has been completely dissolved and a cohort of women now rule the roost
>Thus the films message is this: in this new world, the strong man's duty is to empower women, not enslave

See the truth or don't, the film is brilliant regardless.
>>
>>67803999
>Joe's brides immediately start letting in Abo mutants into the Citadel (you can see them helping them up onto the elevator)
>Food and water is going to be depleted instantly
>society will collapse
>everything will be left off shittier than before

Way to govern women!
>>
File: 1454670056673.jpg (14 KB, 324x451) Image search: [Google]
1454670056673.jpg
14 KB, 324x451
>>67807178
just like europe!
>>
>>67799983

So you equate empowerment with physical power?

Althiugh Max kicked the most ass, the other females were trying to gain freedom from a patriarchal society and showed sisterhood, the sanctity of creating life and a woman's role as the one who can and also showed women willing to fight and die for the other women to be free.

Dude, it's feminist, I'm not even about that, but you're stupid.
>>
>>67802918
>Immortan Joe promoted a woman to be his Imperator.

Because she kicked ass and would not let anyone fuck.
>>
>>67799983
It paints men (who are painted white) as the bad guys

Blames men for breaking the world

Our main character hardly speaks, just goes around saving the women

Our only exposures to men portray them as dumb and juvenile and war hungry, except for maybe Max and the main bad guy
>>
>>67802472
>female tribe
>literraly suffering and dying in the desert
>patriarchy
>maintaining a functional society
POTTERY
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.