[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Walking Dead actually worth getting into? I watched the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: walking dead logo.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
walking dead logo.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
Is the Walking Dead actually worth getting into?
I watched the first season and enjoyed it but I heard that it changes quite a bit over the next season.
>>
why don't you pick it back up and decide for yourself you prissy queer. a lot of the quirks aren't a big deal when you don't have to wait weeks and months for episodes.
>>
>>67796508
No as there is literally no end in sight and every thing just seems to go in a circle. It's rinse and repeat the show.
>>
Second season is alright not that bad except a few episodes that have no plot progress and focus on Andrea. After that though I'd say season three is pretty good the govenor is probably my favorite character and makes the show interesting for that season and the first half of season 4 after that stop because it starts to become shit around this point.
>>
>>67796508
I thoroughly enjoyed it, now I'm reading the comics and praying I don't run into any spoilers.
>>
>>67796642
Wow, rude.
>>
>>67796508
No, it's pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>67798764
Eugene literally rapes Rosita after she confesses that she cucked him and is pregnant with the cuckers child (pottery)
>>
Worth what? 40 minutes of your time per episode? Only you can answer that I guess. You have better shot to do, don't watch. Have some free time, watch it. Shit, in the time it takes you to ask this on the internet and wait for responses you could have just watched an episode.
>>
>>67796508
The game and comics are better than the show
>>
It's predictable to the point where it's not even funny anymore and you just get bored cause literally nothing happens with the show or the characters, cause they end up being the same whining, and moppey people you saw before. Of course they also do those OMG CLIFFHANGER WHAT JUST HAPPENED WELL TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO FIND OUT even though whatever it was that was cliffhanger'd is resolved 10 min into the show and they continue walking more.
>>
>>67799134
>you get bored!
>like oh my god im so bored!
>wowow this is boring!
>OMG

Jesus Christ this is an 18+ board
>>
>>67799191
Are you implying that Walking Pleb is smart?
>>
>>67796508
decide for yourself. a lot of people on this webstie hate season 2, but I think it's one of the best.
>>
Season 2 through half of season 4 are pretty bad. But the show starts picking up again in late season 4. Season 6 has been pretty amazing so far.
>>
>>67796508
Here's how it goes based on the show-runners, needless to say the production is irrelevant. It's who's behind the wheel that dictates how good a program can be.

Season 1 - Frank Darabont - Solid
Season 2 & 3 - Glen Mazzara - God awful
Season 4+ - Scott M Gimple - Good
>>
>>67796508
No, it doesn't change. You'd be better off watching any zombie movie instead.
The show works because you get invested in the characters somehow and you want to see if they die and how. But apart from that, the show repeats the idea of finding a right place to live in until they realise that they can't stay somewhere cause it's too dangerous.
>>
File: rick grimes.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rick grimes.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
Great character evolution, show slows down in the second season to focus on character development and relationships.

I really enjoy the show, it's kind of a slow burn, but it's a suspenseful study of human behavior, development, change, world building, and shows how these average characters adapt to this world pretty well.

>but I heard that it changes quite a bit over the next season.

Here's the thing with Season 2.

They started a new format where the Seasons are twice as many episodes. So they are a bit slower, and spend more time on character building and relationships. Some people find this "boring" and cry about "baww wheres my mindless zombie action".

It's a show about human beings surviving. It's a survival show set in a post-apocalypse. It's a show where people form tribes, and tribes kill each other off. It's a show where the viewer is engaged in these paths and decisions, and you're left guessing if they made the right moves, if they should've trusted this person, should they have killed this person? Etc

It's not a mindless action slashing explosions show, but there are moments of sheer terror, and characters you get attached to will die, it's never completely predictable like some dumbass in here said.

Honestly one of the most underrated and best written shows on television right now, and the hate it gets is completely unjustified.

I would definitely recommend it if you can handle a slow, steady, worthwhile burn.
>>
>>67799203
Smarter than you are
>>
>>67799320
>>67799333
Season 2 is godtier. Rick/shane arc leading up to the blowout at the barn and the climax in Better Angels is among the best arcs in the series. Shane's reanimation pretty much confirmed what everyone speculated about since Doc died in the CDC explosion back in season 1.

you're both massive plebs
>>
File: the walking kinography.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the walking kinography.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1080
my favorite show on right now, aside from the Americans and Longmire.

i'm 35 years old.

op watch this video and if you enjoyed it, you'll enjoy the show. if you didn't, you won't. slight spoiler, but wont ruin anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4bS4ra1T9k
>>
>>67799440
Yeah it's not smart at all so stop trying and go back to ,reddit
>>
>>67799392
this desu

people who hate it, hate it for superficial reasons, or simply because its the highest rated show on cable television, like 10x more popular than breaking bad was

anything popular = bad, to /tv/
>>
>>67799440
>implying you're any smarter
>says a guy who spend time on a Chinese paper towel forum
>>
>>67799333
>Season 1 - Frank Darabont - Solid

Yeah, the whole latin stereotype gang bangers but they have hearts of gold and are really taking care of old people was some quality television

Kill yourself
>>
>>67799392
But it's character development isn't even handled well
>>
I watch it and enjoy it here or there but theres some episodes, particularly that whole fucking season where they are split up into groups following train tracks all the while saying I JUST KNOW IN MY HEART HE/SHE IS STILL ALIVE is just the fucking worst.
>>
>>67799553
I don't see what's wrong with that, especially when TWD was new. All you did was plainly say the premise. You didn't offer any criticisms. You are one of many slackjaws on this board that lower the fucking tone.
>>
>>67799134
This sums up my thoughts. I used to like it but it's got to the point where they basically stopped developing the characters with no interesting character arcs or plot points. And it's predictability has got really bad these past few seasons to the point where nothing is a surprise. I don't what happen but the writing got lazy as fuck.
>>
Writing is pretty awful and the dialogue is worse. Later seasons are getting worse and worse. Not worth it tbqh senpai
>>
>>67799191
How's the autism
>>
>>67799494
It has pretty smart moments, it's a lot more intelligent than some things.

You guys praise the Sopranos which is just Scorsese knock off gabagool garbage, and you'll spend hours talking about the duck feeding scene, but you'll dismiss The Walking Dead because it's a different form of popular culture that you deem to be "more nerdy" even though it's exactly the same in terms of depth and character development

Yeah I'm comparing The Walking Dead to the Sopranos, fight me
>>
>>67799595
It's so comically out of place

The only "great" episode in the first Season was when Rick meets Glenn, but 15 seconds of humor doesn't make it a great season

Season 2 had way more "great" episodes even if it took itself a little more seriously, you people with your hatred against dark, serious shows man, I tell you hwat

If it ain't Marvel-tier quips, it doesn't amuse you retards
>>
>>67799636
lol quote one single bad instance of dialogue

please, go for it
>>
>>67799658
I don't deny it has smart moments. Like I said I used to like it, and the fact that it's popular has nothing to do why I don't really like it anymore, its the shift in writing quality from 3-4 to now and how now what used to be a good amount of good episodes in a session has shrunk to a handful of good episodes with many mediocre that are mostly just filler. It used to have great development but tbqh they haven't done anything that makes these characters feel new or fresh enough a justification to keep watching. Maybe it'll change when Negan comes along who knows.
>>
File: Walking Dead S6.jpg (257 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Walking Dead S6.jpg
257 KB, 1920x1080
8.5/10 show with 10/10 moments

Every season gets progressively better

The only people who complain about it complain about "too slow" "muh boring" "where the action" "too serious" "too dark"

It's a show targeted toward 21+ year olds, and this is a board that is majority 16 and under
>>
Season 7 is probably going to be the best season ever with Negan, The Kingdom, etc. The actor they hired to be the main villian is electrifying. If this >>67799392 interests you then the perfect time to hop in is now. Or you could wait, but it's funner being in on the hype of things.
>>
I really liked this last episode. The second half of the seasons are always the best because its colder and the cast are in comfy clothing. The setting is also really nice with the woods and small towns. The second half of season 4 with them all split up and walking towards terminus was my favorite because of the setting and comfiness
>>
Watch the pilot and then never watch any more. That's as good as it gets.
>>
>>67799786
>targeted towards 21+

Odd, the demographic is exactly the opposite of what you described.

But we can't all be tasteful
>>
>>67799766
>filler

You guys abuse this word too much. It actually makes it unbearable to watch this show with /tv/, because every time a stream is on, you guys will spam filler filler filler filler filler filler filler boring boring boring boring boring boring, and then any time a minor thing happens or someone is killed you all of a sudden explode into BTFO BTFO BTFO LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

/tv/ is just a bunch of ADHD chimps. I just want to drink some beer and settle in and enjoy the show. You people are too much.
>>
Watch it all over the summer then start watching it live if you enjoy it. Don't be a fucking nigger that doesn't contribute to shows you enjoy.
>>
>>67799963
>projecting this hard
>>
>>67796508
just skip seasons 3 and 4 you'll save yourself so much time. half of season 5 was skippable too
>>
>>67799986
he's right you know
>>
>>67800053
You're implying I do this which I don't
>>
>>67799766
The last 4 episodes or so have been nothing but hardcore action driven with great character scenarios, and you guys still complain about "muh filler".

The Woodbury citizens were filler. The Hospital arc that led nowhere was filler. What's her face girl climbing the walls and then walking around writing "JSS" was filler.

The Wolves fucking up Alexandria was not filler. Storming Negan's compound and killing 20+ men is not filler. Carol/Maggie getting captured was not filler. Daryl and friends getting in a fire fight with Dwight was not filler.

This season has been the least filler season in a long time, and still people spout off about "muh filler". Just shut up already.
>>
>>67800087
>The Hospital arc that led nowhere was filler
It led to a bullshit end
>>
>>67800067
a lot of people, I'd say easily a thousand do

and most of those people don't really care about the show they are like those people who watch nascar just to see the crashes

for being unbearable retard children, /tv/ sure has a lot of opinions about how 'bad' things people enjoy are
>>
The very first episode of season one was wonderful. Pacing, action in the right places, non cringe-worthy dialogue all made for a very cinematic experience. Not a single episode after it was like that. Every other episode is shitty and filled with "Character A does something which, by all logic, is fucking retarded and puts Character B in danger." Then Character A either dies trying to save Character B, or Character B dies because Character A was fucking retarded. It's frustratingly awful.

The writing is terrible (I'm going to point to the unnecessary name drop in season I-don't-fucking-care-to-remember). The tension and drama feel entirely too forced, the deaths are predictable and telegraphed from orbit, and the only character to have had any development is Carol, who's gone from wimpy old woman to badass psychopath and back to whiny old woman.

I really want to like the show, because I really liked the first episode. And it has its decent moments here and there, but they don't come that often.

I'd give it a C-. It's kind of alright.
>>
>>67799829
>the setting and comfiness

Max comfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ygjTn6q-c
>>
>>67800087
Again you're projecting all your frustration from /tv/ on me implying I am saying any of this stuff. How about you shut up since you seem to just throw projections everywhere just to see if it sticks for your own good. I was just discussing this show and you're trying to make it out like I'm spouting "LOL SO BORING OMG WHERE ARE THR ZOMBIES GUISE!"

>>67800147
I don't doubt it that this place dies. People just gather for live streams for the event really.
>>
>>67799994
season 3 and 4 felt repetitive because they are both Governor seasons

season 4 is absolutely essential though, but hes right, you can skip 3
>>
>>67800220
You can't skip 3 it has fucking Merle in it. And of course the crucial Morgan episode.
>>
File: glenn-on-the-walking-dead.jpg (37 KB, 590x375) Image search: [Google]
glenn-on-the-walking-dead.jpg
37 KB, 590x375
>>67800176
>and the only character to have had any development is Carol, who's gone from wimpy old woman to badass psychopath and back to whiny old woman.

Just because she's the most obvious character transformation doesn't mean she's the only developed character.

Good god look at the transformation of Glenn for instance, from virgin short round to alpha apex forest predator.

>overpraising the first episode where it's just Morgan looking at his wife through the sniper scope and crying and nothing happens

The episode after that where Rick escapes the tank is way more thrilling
>>
Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are better tbqh
>>
>>67800349
Glenn's plateaued with the rest of the cast. Everyone kind of reached their prime early on and stayed that way.

You're right about the second episode. It all kinds of blends in for me. Basically the beginning to him reuniting with Lori and Carl was great. Everything after that is what I've already described.
>>
>>67800349
>from virgin short round to alpha apex forest predator to living batting tee

ftfy
>>
>>67796508
Season 1 is good. Season 2 is my absolute favourite. It was the peak of the show in terms of zombie action and drama. Season 2 actually had zombie encounters that were intense and nail biting. Season 2 finale is GOAT. Season 3 first half is good. Episode 4 of season 3 is one of the most intense shit I've ever seen. Second half is shit. Season 4 first half is filler. Midseason finale was good. Second half led to something decent but you had to wade through lots of filler to get to the finale. Season 5 premiere is GOAT. Second episode is shit. Third episode is great. Rest of first half is meh. Midseason premiere is shit. Second half is interesting story wise but still meh. Finale was needlessly long. Season 6 first half could be condensed into one episode. It's just one scenario dragged out over 8 episodes. This season is so inconsistent. So many things happened that should have had me engaged but I was just bored shitless. The show lost some of it's intensity with the zombies. Midseason finale and second half premiere was shit. Second half of season 6 so far is actually interesting. The episodes leading up to the upcoming finale are actually filled with good enemy encounters that had me engaged. Finale is yet to come so we'll see. But season 6 is just so inconsistent.
>>
>>67796508
Can verify this show is overly-produced shit.

>One-dimensional, inconsistent characters
>Repetitive narrative (Hiding on farm, hiding in prison, hiding in suburbs, non-core cast of members compromising base safety, etc)

It's the type of show where the the characters show an impressive amount of resolve and dexterity and then two episodes later they make them seem dumb as fuck to progress the narrative forward because the writers are too fucking lazy to be more creative so they use pleb-tier devices that the audience apparently eats up.

>Find box truck loaded to the ceiling with food and supplies
>Hurr durr let's take a detour on the way home and see what more supplies we can salvage although there's no room anyways
>Truck gets stolen
>They want me to be surprised

or

>Zombies raid the compound
>Group utilizes zombie camouflage to walk past them as if completely undetected
>Never using this to complete any other dangerous tasks ever

This show is more fucking annoying than anything and I just love to bitch about it. I actually came to this board specifically just to bitch about it.
>>
>>67800801
>>Group utilizes zombie camouflage to walk past them as if completely undetected
>>Never using this to complete any other dangerous tasks ever
literally season 1 episode 2

there's been plenty of times that the characters have used it
>>
I would like to see winter on the show. I think they had winter but it was off screen, in between season 2 and 3. I would actually love a season where it's snowing hard and everybody's just trying to survive. I'm sick and tired of seeing green forests and green trees and green grass. Green is my favourite colour but I'm sick of seeing it on this show. Gimme a change in atmosphere. That'll make the show more engaging and worth the ridiculous number of seasons.
>>
>>67800643
>Look at me and my specific opinions on things
Grow up dude
>>
>>67800950
>OP asked for opinions
>gives opinions
>gets rekt
k
>>
>>67800898
Once or twice before but the fact is they have this amazing tool that's as easy to do as spreading butter on sliced bread but they just fucking die to stupid shit. Why not spread zombie guts all over the walls of their compound and distract the zombies? Naw, would make too much fucking sense.

I'm sick of the fucking scare moments where they'll just be standing around and talking and all of the sudden BAM ZOMBIE ON YOUR BACK OH MY GOD NEVER HEARD THEM WALKING IN THE WOODS EVAR.

The show is shit, be real. It's like elementary-level dialogue and themes with their pious biblical overtones and just a ton of stupidity reinforcing their ideas of human sacrifice and "good" morality.
>>
>>67800643
>Season 2 is my absolute favourite
nigga what
>>
>>67801180
come at me bro. I found it to be the most engaging part of the whole show. Definitely more engaging than season 4 and beyond.
>>
I'm really enjoying it at the moment but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really have nothing better to do.

The current airing (half)season is the only one that has been consistently good all the way through, seasons 4 and 5 have some really good scenes amongst the filler but are overall garbage and I watched 2 and 3 because they were entertainingly bad.

Even if the show is gold from this point on (which it won't be because they've blown their content load early with this season) I couldn't imagine anything more torturous than marathoning the series to get up to date. It will never be worth it. The same themes are explored over and over
>>
>>67796508
its complete garbage
i still watch it
i like to see the characters get dirtier
>>
>>67796508
Hell no. There is nothing redeemable about the TV show, I'm amazed it's still going on and is still 100% pure trash.
>>
>>67799707
>It's so comically out of place

It's comically out of place for latinos to not actually be gangbangers but instead be good people? You sound like a fucking moron.
>>
It's worth it for the transformation of Rick alone.

Think back to how desperate he was to maintain his humanity early on, from his "we don't kill the living" speeches early on, trying to give Randall a chance at the farm, to his middle-ground "we only kill the people who kill us / try to kill us". To his brutal throat-biting moment, to the slaughter of the Terminians in the Church, to leading the raid on one of Negan's compounds, brutally murdering more than 20 people who he'd never met and who had never tried to do anything for him. Rick has gone beast mode and will do anything to ensure the survival of himself and his children, and its basically made him one of the bad guys.

It's why Negan will be such an interesting character; He's basically like Rick, except without the false pretense of being a good person.
>>
TAKE
ME OUT
TO THE
BALL GAME
>>
enid got a big ol butt big ol butt
>>
>>67799738
>I'm doing stuff Lori... Thangs
>>
>>67796642
this

also

>>67798795
this
>>
It's okay. Very inconsistent though. It's also gotten to a point where everybody actually wants them to kill of main characters, because it's gotten so stale with them introducing new characters which nobody cares about and killing them off after a few episodes instead.
I mean, the last major character death was in the middle of season 5 and it was a shitty, pointless death of a character they had ruined over the course of the past season. I thought the first three episodes this half of season six were great but after that it got ridiculous and obvious that they were too scared to kill important people off.
They have a chance to save the show with this finale, but rumour is that they're going to turn it into a cheap, shitty cliffhanger to 'keep people interested' over the summer. They have done at least 3 of those sort of cliffhangers this season so it seems pretty likely they will do it. It's just a cheap way to keep people coming back when the plot isn't interesting enough, even though following the comics exactly for the final scene would go down as one of the best moments in the show's history. If they do cliffhanger it I will continue to watch the show, but I honestly haven't really given a shit for a while now.
The writing is often very bad, which is quite shocking as they have source material which is very well written. I'm far more invested in the comics than the show now and I would totally recommend them rather than watching the show.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.